• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

NBtoaster

I think I met that Farmer with a cow once. But I was following the headless horseman so couldn't stop to chat.

I also want to say how amazing that piece of music is with all the violins, usually plays in snow areas. Think its a remix of something from Oblivion.

Does anyone know why Alchemy levels so slow? This coming from someone who hasn't put any perks in it. I know that it levels better the better potions you make, but what are these "good" potions to make? How can i get better if it takes 50+ potions to go from lv.17 to lv.18?

I think I met that Farmer with a cow once. But I was following the headless horseman so couldn't stop to chat.

I also want to say how amazing that piece of music is with all the violins, usually plays in snow areas. Think its a remix of something from Oblivion.

I know which one you mean, I think. It's called "Wind Guide You", and yeah, it's a remake of "Minstrel's Lament" from Oblivion.

I actually went online with Steam and patched Skyrim. Bad move. My lvl 56 character couldn't fast travel or quicksave without crashing to desktop. Luckily I had a copy of the .exe pre-patch. Bethesda really don't have a clue how to code games. Or at least how to fix them.

Does anyone know why Alchemy levels so slow? This coming from someone who hasn't put any perks in it. I know that it levels better the better potions you make, but what are these "good" potions to make? How can i get better if it takes 50+ potions to go from lv.17 to lv.18?

Couldn't you make an enchantment to boost your alchemy to be able to start making the better potions? I haven't done much with alchemy personally, so I could be very very wrong.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It still lvl slow no matter what potions you make. Just buy ingredients from an alchemist everytime you visit a town(might as well use that gold other than for houses someday), grab them while walking around the world and make a shit ton of potions and sell all the useless ones later for speech points.

The experience is dependent on the value of your potions. I recommend using a guide to discover all the effects since it's basically trial and error and failed potions don't get you anything, then experiment with combinations to get the most value out of each mix. Effects like Damage Magic Regen, Invisibility, Slow, and fortification skills net you a lot of money and can be altered to make them even more valuable. The most valuable potion I could find was a Giants Toe - Wheat - Creep Cluster (or Swamp Pod). Even at low levels I was getting a grand per mixture.

I tried the fortify restoration/alchemy enchantment trick for a while and couldn't get it to work all that well. Maybe I wasn't doing it right though.

TTG

Do the Daedric quests.

Those seem to be some of the more interesting quests I've encountered so far. The Oblivion Walker trophy(or whatever it's called) is something I'll be going for down the road. What sucks is I just recently refused a deadric artifact(
the skull staff thing that's fueled by dreams, how bad ass is that? Problem is I never use those and I didn't want to kill my future follower
). So that means I have to be careful with any future stuff. Counting that, I've come across 4 of them so far. What's crazy is that I was looking through how/where the quests start and I've already walked away from 3 because they start off as some irrelevant misc BS... need to come back for those.

this is the top 200 or so most valuable potions to make for experience.

This webb app can catalog all of your ingredients and tells you the best potion to make currently

make sure to rest in a bough bed, and have the thief stone on. Trainers work really well for the early levels.

Ri'Orius

Does anyone know where I can find something enchanted with Fortify Restoration? Not Restoration + Magicka Regen, just pure Restoration?

I've been scouring the shops of various cities and haven't found anything. Plenty of Fortify Illusion, though for some reason.

NBtoaster

How can I start the Daedric quests?

You gotta find them and be the right level. Sometimes, they'll find you, but they wont obviously be Deadric.

Examples:

Dawnstar's Dream problem
Markarth's House of the Dead problem
The museum in Dawnstar
The weird kids of the Jarl of Whiterun

I know which one you mean, I think. It's called "Wind Guide You", and yeah, it's a remake of "Minstrel's Lament" from Oblivion.

That's the one. Beth needs to release a digital soundtrack already.

Flunkie

Banned
Should I be hoarding dragon scales/bones? I drop/sell everything after I kill a dragon just so I can transport my dragon loot back to Breezehome.. I'm level 20.

GhaleonEB

Should I be hoarding dragon scales/bones? I drop/sell everything after I kill a dragon just so I can transport my dragon loot back to Breezehome.. I'm level 20.

If you get Smithing to 100, you can made heavy dragon armor with the bones, and scale armor (light armor) with the scales. I'd sell all but a few.

Me, I'm hoarding the scales as trophies.

Bisnic

Speaking of the Thieves guild, it seems i missed some quest somewhere...
I learned that the current leader killed the previous one, and not the woman everyone think it was(got poisoned by her arrow that saved my life) and it seems i dont even have the followup quest in my quest log. Is it because i didnt complete their armor quest that i cant do because i got rid of the original thief gear?

GhaleonEB

Speaking of the Thieves guild, it seems i missed some quest somewhere...
I learned that the current leader killed the previous one, and not the woman everyone think it was(got poisoned by her arrow that saved my life) and it seems i dont even have the followup quest in my quest log. Is it because i didnt complete their armor quest that i cant do because i got rid of the original thief gear?

Did you
talk to the woman that shot you when you woke up? That should have put it in your queue.

Getting rid of your armor will prevent you from completing the quest line, though, as I've discovered. :\

Flunkie

Banned
Also, my freaking Breezehome bookshelf is glitched - won't let me put any books on it ever since I tried putting more on than it holds, saved, did 10 hours worth of quests (so like 5 lol), and came back. :(

Bisnic

Did you
talk to the woman that shot you when you woke up? That should have put it in your queue.

Getting rid of your armor will prevent you from completing the quest line, though, as I've discovered. :\

I forgot in which dungeon she was, maybe i should take a look back.

so the fortify restoration potion glitch is godly.

When it gets pretty high you can make a couple shitty potions all worth around 100k apiece which levels your alchemy to 100 is probably under 20 potions.

Then sell potions at a huge loss to any vendor, i mean like sell 15 potions for about 1.5 million or so and you will get 100 speech in one go...

Jesus, instead of making a set of 100% destruction stuff i now have a single ring of fortify magicka 317K never running out of magic.

Time do do whatever the fuck i want.

doing it just for the speech and alchemy skill points since those are really mundane to level up. is worth it.

Orlandu84

Go to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Alchemy and read the leveling alchemy tips. It was taking forever to level alchemy up for me as well. Then I started to create potions with multiple effects (especially slow and invisibility), and it went much better. So much better that I spent most of today grinding alchemy up and making lots of gold doing so.

Also, my freaking Breezehome bookshelf is glitched - won't let me put any books on it ever since I tried putting more on than it holds, saved, did 10 hours worth of quests (so like 5 lol), and came back. :(

Same. I also recently noticed that I have 2 copies of the same book on it and now it's stuck that way FOREVER

this guy

I'm level 27 now after a few days of playing. Finished all but the very last thieves guild quest today
returning the skeleton key
. Is that quest difficult? I really want to finish up the thieves guild questline, but I also want to progress more in the main storyline
I've had the Alduin's Wall quest sitting for a while now

Nightingale armor is super cool btw. I was gonna craft glass armor since I'm level 83 in smithing, but I like wearing this.

Played for a couple of hours tonight, advancing the quest line and doing a few side quests. Did the Solitude quest that takes you to Wolfskull Cavern. Wow! Not a huge dungeon, but another very cool design.

GhaleonEB

Solitude has fallen, and the civil war is over.

Some thoughts on the game, then the story.

The battles at the forts were all enjoyable, but the civil war took on too familiar a cadence near the end. Do a quest, take a fort. Repeat in a couple of different holds. Twice, take a city. The battle for Whiterun was the most interesting, as the fight had a number of sub-goals woven into it, such as breaching the city walls and then dropping the draw bridge. It lent a more strategic feel to what is an otherwise hectic killing spree.

The forts play out similarly, but sans the strategy other than just shooting all the Imperials dead (the % countdown is a nice touch). By fort #3, I was weary of them. I am fearful that the Imperial side of the war, which my next character will play, is going to play out in much the same fashion, but with the uniforms swapped.

Where the fort battles at least held up the artifice of a medium sized battle, it all fell apart on the Solitude assault. I had forged and enchanted a new bow using a blacksmith's elixir and enchanting potion I found (had'em stashed in a safe until the time was right), and used it to just blow through the initial defenses. After that, Imperial troops were spawning repeatedly around me, only to get one-shot by my new bow, Ebony Fire.

The guards to General Tullius' castle didn't move when I walked up to them, and took arrows to the chest point blank. Once inside, Ulfric and Stone-Fist talked with his first in command. Once the battle music started I shot her, landing a paralyzing blow. The three of us then beat the shit of her while she lay helpless and shrieking in frustration.

Enter Tallius. A brief fight ends when I similarly land a paralyzing shot on him, and he falls down in the most hilarious position. Feet spread apart, arms out, he's on his side tipped forward, in a partial hand stand. And there he stays through the entire (very long) conversation that follows, his bare legs sticking into the air.

After we're done talking, I decline the opportunity to finish him off. But since he's just laying there, unmoving, neither does anyone else. After a minute or so, I land a final arrow in him and the battle is over.

What's not over is the battle music, which has been blaring through the entire conversation. It plays through Ulfric's speech. It plays while I walk through town. It plays as I ride out of town. It keeps playing as I reach Dragon Bridge, enter the inn, and buy myself a bottle of mead to celebrate. It's still playing while I'm standing next to goats and chickens in town. I finally do what I haven't done all game: I use fast travel to go....no where. Fast traveling to Dragons Bridge ends the epic battle music, which has blared for 15 minutes at this point. Not exactly a polished end to the war.

When Tallius and company called us fools for dividing the Empire's attention, empowering the Thalmor, I couldn't help but agree. I'd felt from about midway through the war that Ulfric was misguided. I'm still sympathetic what drove the rebellion, but it was a strategic error. Plus, the Stormcloaks are racist motherfuckers. I don't roll that way. I'm looking forward to seeing the Imperial side of things, and am impressed with Bethesda for making the civil war story not be a tale of black/white, good/evil.

Speaking of the Thalmor, do I ever get a chance to crush those dudes? I know they're the real enemy, and I'd like to do them some grave damage.

####

I completed the Siege of the Dragon Cult quest earlier tonight, which was fantastic. Huge, challenging and trap-laden dungeon, great loot (and a shout), interesting back story woven into it. At the end, the dude had a note with his orders, which included instructions to head to Labryinthian. Is that my cue to do so? Or is that dungeon - which I've read much about in the game - tied to a different quest line?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Finally had an epic outdoor battle after 22 hours of gameplay. Stumled upon a green dragon flying around and think this will be cake. Well I come up over the ridge and I run smack dab in the middle of a giant camp that is getting decimated by a regular dragon and a blood dragon on top of that. Mammoth on dragon. Dragon on giant. Giant on me. Me vs everyone.

Felt good taking them all down.

Luthos

Is there a housecarl that is geared towards light armor?

I gave my light version Dragonscale armor to my Solitude housecarl, and she only equipped the helmet, and kept her steel on. (I thought it was purely which has better stats, but I guess not)

conman

Confession time:

I've gone full third-person view.

Yes, I have played all prior Elder Scrolls games. All in first person on PC. I always wanted to play Morrowind and Oblivion (and Fallout 3) in third person, but couldn't because it was a wonky mess. But it works in Skyrim. Even in combat.

For the first ten hours or so, I kept switching back and forth. Third person for travel outdoors. First person for combat and indoors. After that first ten hours, I discovered I had stopped switching. IMO combat works great in third person, even in tight spaces. The only place I run into issues is if I'm sneaking and firing an arrow with my back to a wall (I won't be able to see my target). That's about the only time I switch back to first person. I'm 60 hours in and have no intention of going back.

Anyone else make the switch?

Ri'Orius

Hang on: is it possible to become a Thane of all nine holds? I just assumed it was, but after looking up how to do it in
Dawnstar/The Pale
it looks like you can only become the Thane of
Whiterun, Morthal/Hjaalmarch, Winterhold and Solitude/Haafingar

That kinda sucks: I was really looking forward to being Thane of everywhere.

EDIT: Wait, this can't be right: I just realized the reason I was having trouble was the fact that, apparently, I already was Thane of
Dawnstar/The Pale
. So apparently the site I was looking on was wrong, and I'm now presuming you can, in fact, be Thane of Everywhere.

In better news, it looks like I can wear the Thieves Guild Hood with my Dragonbone Helm, as long as I put the hood on first. So that's pretty cool. I might need to see if this works for other hoods; if so, I know a certain Dragonborn who's getting some more Magicka and regen...

TTG

How can I start the Daedric quests?

Honestly, it's just easier to check a wiki from time to time to see what you have started without even knowing. The thing is, a lot of them start as misc quests and only some of them are presented in a way where it's obvious the design team wants you to pay attention. For example, You can't show up at Dawnstar and NOT be alerted to a deadric quest(obviously you don't know that it's a deadric quest right away). But others fall in with all the misc fetch quests and bounties and whatever other minor stuff the game is padded with. Which is great when you discover this seemingly trivial, uninspired task is really a great quest filled with personality and rewards... but if you don't, it'll just be misc objective number 23.

Kaper

Confession time:

I've gone full third-person view.

Yes, I have played all prior Elder Scrolls games. All in first person on PC. I always wanted to play Morrowind and Oblivion (and Fallout 3) in third person, but couldn't because it was a wonky mess. But it works in Skyrim. Even in combat.

For the first ten hours or so, I kept switching back and forth. Third person for travel outdoors. First person for combat and indoors. After that first ten hours, I discovered I had stopped switching. IMO combat works great in third person, even in tight spaces. The only place I run into issues is if I'm sneaking and firing an arrow with my back to a wall (I won't be able to see my target). That's about the only time I switch back to first person. I'm 60 hours in and have no intention of going back.

Anyone else make the switch?

Third-person is the best. I get to see my shiny armor I crafted, and combat feels better than just watching a sword making motions across my screen. Stick with firing arrows in third-person and you'll get the hang of it. You should also check out this camera mod.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=528

It modifies the combat camera so it's always over the shoulder.

Gav

Only picked the game up a couple of days ago, im level 6.

Accidentally stumbled across the Sightless Pit... Damn, it's hard work!

Ri'Orius

So, update: y'know how I said a few hours ago that I could wear the Thieves Guild Hood with my Dragonplate helmet? Turns out that's a bug related to vampirism. Now that I'm no longer a vampire, I can't wear them simultaneously anymore.

In other news, vampirism is pretty opaque. As days pass, you get more and stronger vampiric powers (none of which were very useful to me: a crappy drain life spell, bonuses to Illusion and stealth, etc.). But when you become hungry enough, all NPCs become hostile to you. How do you feed? That's the thing I needed to look up:
You have to sneak up on someone who's asleep and pickpocket them. You'll then get an option, after hitting Triangle with the heading "Pickpocket", to feed instead.
WTF?

So yeah, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. The vampirism cure quest was relatively painless (although mostly that was because I already had the requisite item on hand:
a filled black soul gem
).

Solitude has fallen, and the civil war is over.
Rebel scum.

Yeah, it happened to me too, in Honeyside. I have two glitched bookshelves there. The new patch is supposed to fix that, you know, if it ever comes out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Only picked the game up a couple of days ago, im level 6.

Accidentally stumbled across the Sightless Pit... Damn, it's hard work!

YEah, the Sightless Pit was one of my first "wow" random dungeons, so much in there, it just keeps going and going.

I'm 33 hours in now and I still keep being surprised. Just raided a Dweomer tomb, got loads of dwarven metal to make lovely armour with that I will enchant. The feedback loop between all the systems in this game is very satisfying.

Starting to move on with the main quest a little too, don't want to leave it all till the end like I did in Oblivion.

Top Bottom