• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Jeff Chen

Banned
Holy shit. The game has been out for a little over a month and you've spent over 13 days on it? Wow!

319 hours? Dayum, even I don't have that much.

Ya, it makes me look that I have no life. LOL

In fact I think the game counts the hours of me cooking/eating/napping/changing my baby's diaper/feeding the baby/out shopping... while leaving my PS3 on. Was just too lazy to turn if off :p

In fact I think the game counts the hours of me cooking/eating/napping/changing my baby's diaper/feeding the baby/out shopping... while leaving my PS3 on. Was just too lazy to turn if off :p

Ok, phew, I was hoping there was some exception there. Especially if you have a baby.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Ignoring that fact, 319 hours is something, but 319 hours on PS3 is something else!

They didn't change anything from 1.2 regarding textures/installing. It's still not perfect it seems, but Bethesda says they fixed the issue last patch.

Right, but I skipped the 1.2 patch because of the other bugs it introduced and I've been running the game of the DVD until now. Tonight I'll install it to my HDD and patch it up so I can play with a quieter machine. :)

Jeff Chen

Banned
Ignoring that fact, 319 hours is something, but 319 hours on PS3 is something else!

Ya, the reason why my PS3 didn't die during this torment was prolly because I tore it apart, dusted it and applied some new thermal paste earlier this year...

But 319 hours is just... not so amazing I think? I have friends who have killed thousands with EACH weapon in BF3 and their scores were like 20x of mine, and that game was not even out for two months. They are the ones with really too much spare time!

Tobor

Right, but I skipped the 1.2 patch because of the other bugs it introduced and I've been running the game of the DVD until now. Tonight I'll install it to my HDD and patch it up so I can play with a quieter machine. :)

Same here. I can't wait to finally install the game! That 100 hours of spinning disc sucked.

GhaleonEB

I wouldn't hold out hope for any retroactive fixes... I'm not entirely sure they can fix it if it's already broken in your savegame.

You're probably right. In the end, I guess I'm not really holding out for retroactive fixes - just waiting to start my new character until some of the quests are fixed. I'll just have to do the Thieves Guild again. But I'm still hoping; it springs eternal. In the mean time my current character is just wandering the lands doing side quests and killing Imperials and Thalmor, leaving the bulk of the main quest, Bards College, Companions and College of Winterhold for the next. I like knowing there are some great dungeons saved up for me (Blackreach, Labrynthian, etc.) for my next character to plunder.

Just finished Azura's Star. The ending was quite interesting, great environment.
I returned it to Azura. Going inside the star was most unexpected, and quite beautiful.

When I got out I told the Azura worshipper she could come with me. Then I put two arrows in her neck. She collapsed onto the alter, hands outstretched, and I left her much as I had found her.

Only dead.

impirius

Apparantly they're not rolling out quest fixes until January updates, but they're promised to be many and frequent. I'm hoping I can finish the Thieves Guild (armor glitch) and maybe clear four broken Misc. tasks from my queue. They all want me to return and talk to dead or missing people.

Good to know... thanks for the information, and may all your quests be well and truly fixed!

Cicero's journals are quite the read. I love the little reference to the adoring fan... Though I'm sure the majority of people reading 'em will think he actually WAS the adoring fan.

Cicero's journals are quite the read. I love the little reference to the adoring fan... Though I'm sure the majority of people reading 'em will think he actually WAS the adoring fan.

Don't dismiss my fantasies! It's not so hard for a Breton(?) to paste on elf ears. He's got the male wood elf stature down pat.

I agree, though. He was shockingly rational in his early entries. It was sad to see him slowly descend into madness as the Brotherhood fell apart.

Don't dismiss my fantasies! It's not so hard for a Breton(?) to paste on elf ears. He's got the male wood elf stature down pat.

I agree, though. He was shockingly rational in his early entries. It was sad to see him slowly descend into madness as the Brotherhood fell apart.

Well, maybe he's an elf who trimmed his ears, those guys can live for a while.
Not really.

I bet the Adoring Fan is now the leader of the Aldmeri Dominion. He just didn't want to deal with the Imperials bullshitting him anymore.

Well, maybe he's an elf who trimmed his ears, those guys can live for a while.
Not really.

I bet the Adoring Fan is now the leader of the Aldmeri Dominion. He just didn't want to deal with the Imperials bullshitting him anymore.

Ah, we're establishing fanon, here!

When the Champion decided to trap him forever in an Oblivion gate, time slowed, and he had centuries to fume and become twisted. He practiced the art of assassination so that he might one day exact his revenge.

Ah, we're establishing fanon, here!

When the Champion decided to trap him forever in an Oblivion gate, time slowed, and he had centuries to fume and become twisted. He practiced the art of assassination so that he might one day exact his revenge.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

I honestly can't wait to see where and when the expansion takes place.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

I honestly can't wait to see where and when the expansion takes place.

I'd be suprised if it took place outside of Skyrim. A return to Northern Cyrodiil sounds likely to me, as does a visit to Morrowind. I believe they're saving Hammerfell for the next full game, personally. "The Elder Scrols VI: Hammerfell". Yeah, you heard it here first.

Odd encounter. So I stealth kill a Blood Dragon in one hit a week ago while it was sitting on its wall. Instead of dying, it flies into the air, crashes to the earth, and its body disappears without granting me its soul. I revisit the same dragon wall today, hoping it would be there again, and lo and behold, it is. This time, however, it starts disintegrating the second I see it, sitting atop its wall. I get its soul after it turns into a skeleton, but its still alive, sitting atop its wall, a complete skeleton. It notices me and flies into the air, and my battle with the undead dragon begins. I kill it, like any dragon, but it does not give me its soul when it dies. I guess I just got its soul at the start of the battle. Pretty freaky.

I'd be suprised if it took place outside of Skyrim. A return to Northern Cyrodiil sounds likely to me, as does a visit to Morrowind. I believe they're saving Hammerfell for the next full game, personally. "The Elder Scrols VI: Hammerfell". Yeah, you heard it here first.
I'm saying "The Elder Scrolls VI: Dominion". Yeah, that's right.

And as for the expansion, I'm guessing it'll be something we won't see coming at all, like what they did with the Shivering Isles.

Odd encounter. So I stealth kill a Blood Dragon in one hit a week ago while it was sitting on its wall. Instead of dying, it flies into the air, crashes to the earth, and its body disappears without granting me its soul. I revisit the same dragon wall today, hoping it would be there again, and lo and behold, it is. This time, however, it starts disintegrating the second I see it, sitting atop its wall. I get its soul after it turns into a skeleton, but its still alive, sitting atop its wall, a complete skeleton. It notices me and flies into the air, and my battle with the undead dragon begins. I kill it, like any dragon, but it does not give me its soul when it dies. I guess I just got its soul at the start of the battle. Pretty freaky.
Lol, amazing. This is why we should film everything we do.

Yager

Banned
Getting hanging saves and loads now post-patch (360). Ugh. I hope it's just a coincidence.

My 360 hung twice in the last 30 minutes, while in the 100+ hours that I've been playing pre-patch it did like only two times. I hope it's also a coincidence but...

I'm saying "The Elder Scrolls VI: Dominion". Yeah, that's right.

And as for the expansion, I'm guessing it'll be something we won't see coming at all, like what they did with the Shivering Isles.

Lol, amazing. This is why we should film everything we do.

Wish I was playing on PC so I could give everyone screens. It was like the
skeletal dragon you fight inside Labyrinthian
, but full-powered and totally unscripted. A souls a soul, I guess, doesn't matter when in the fight I get it. Though I rightfully deserved 2 souls out of that area, 1 for the first stealth kill and another for the zombie kill. I guess the dragon was just undead that whole time.

GhaleonEB

So I'm in Solitude, having sold my loot, done my smithing rounds, deposited my valuables at home. I'm sifting through my formidable queue of Misc. tasks, and find one that looks interesting, a bit to the south.

I'm heading there, start climing a forested mountain side on a path, when BAM an Elder dragon and a giant spawn next to me, so close the dragon nudges Shadowmere and I aside. I've never seen giants in this part of the world before, away from camp and without a mammoth in tow, much less one that spawned right in front of me.

I dismount and take aim at the dragon, who is laying down a frost blast on the giant. After a I fire a couple arrows, the giant runs up and one-hits me from behind - while still getting clobbered by the dragon. I thought we were a team.

What. The. Fuck.

soldat7

So let me get this straight: Bethesda claims to have fixed the install/poor textures issue on 360 with the latest patch, but in reality, the patch didn't completely fix it? Hoping to score this for Chriatmas, and I'm fairly concerned....

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just checked to see if my broken followers were fixed and nope, they're still fucked. What a waste of time.

I've pretty much lost all desire to finish this game. It'll probably be a few months before I pick it back up.

Astra

Just checked to see if my broken followers were fixed and nope, they're still fucked. What a waste of time.

I've pretty much lost all desire to finish this game. It'll probably be a few months before I pick it back up.

Same. Civil War quest line is broken for me. I was supposed to meet some people, and attack a fort, but when I got there, the quest arrow was pointing to empty space, where I assume the people should be waiting for me, and the fort is empty. When I enter the fort, it updates the quest, and says to kill everyone in there, but there's just no one to be found.

what's more likely is, I'll never play Skyrim again. After not playing for months due to these issues, I'll lose all desire to continue, and have moved on to better, more reliable games.

Volimar

I'd love if TES 6 took place in Akavir. You start off as a slave/prisoner on a ship being taken to help build the new Empire foothold city. Wackiness ensues. It would be so great to be stuck on a new continent where almost anything could happen.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Same. Civil War quest line is broken for me. I was supposed to meet some people, and attack a fort, but when I got there, the quest arrow was pointing to empty space, where I assume the people should be waiting for me, and the fort is empty. When I enter the fort, it updates the quest, and says to kill everyone in there, but there's just no one to be found.

what's more likely is, I'll never play Skyrim again. After not playing for months due to these issues, I'll lose all desire to continue, and have moved on to better, more reliable games.

I had this happen to me, what I ended up doing was waiting 1 hour BEFORE fast traveling, then fast traveling to the location, and waiting 1 hour again, this fixed the problem for me. It happened to me when
You invade Whiterun, the whole damn city of Whiterun
didn't load in properly for me. Very weird.

I may start a new character later or something and just do the main quest and 1 and a half questlines that I haven't done with my main character. I paid $60 for this game so I'm definitely not gonna let the shitty aspects of it get the best of me, so damn disappointed at this glitch though.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it either so it's unlikely to get fixed anytime soon.

So let me get this straight: Bethesda claims to have fixed the install/poor textures issue on 360 with the latest patch, but in reality, the patch didn't completely fix it? Hoping to score this for Chriatmas, and I'm fairly concerned....

I installed my game. I'll see a funky texture in the inventory sometimes, but that's it. Everything else looks fine. Nothing to be concerned about.

My motto is: when Beth gives you lemons, you eat 'em and reroll.

Seriously, I once rerolled practically the same character in New Vegas because Raul's tiny-tiny quest glitched and I couldn't finish it.

If you enjoy the game, either do that or just go out into the world and do some crazy stuff. If you don't, then move on.

Some of the people on the official forums are insane. While I certainly agree that Bethesda dropped the ball in a lot of ways, the 360 version is MUCH better off than than the PS3 version. I'm pretty sure anything less than perfection is unacceptable to some people on that board.

Heh, you say that like this game is anywhere near approaching technical perfection. Just because the PS3 version is so unbelievably bad that it overshadows everything else doesn't make the rest excusable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game despite its flaws, but I would have been done with it a long time ago if I didn't have access to the PC's console commands. Bethesda seems to have taken the "open-world jank" knob and dialed it up to eleven.

I'd love if TES 6 took place in Akavir. You start off as a slave/prisoner on a ship being taken to help build the new Empire foothold city. Wackiness ensues. It would be so great to be stuck on a new continent where almost anything could happen.

I've always wanted to explore Akavir, but I always figured it'd never happen. If it did, I'd almost prefer for the Akaviri races to remain unplayable. Your Tamrielic colony idea sounds nice for that. All things said, though, I think there's more than enough going on in Tamriel right now. When the whole Thalmor situation is resolved, I think it's going to be in a mainline game.

Socreges

Banned
So I finally left Whiterun to venture toward High Hrothgar. I'd always been intrigued by Riften, though, so on a whim I just kept going East (without using the map or compass). After trudging through the woods and mountains I came across a road and followed it blindly, finally coming across a sign that pointed me toward Riften. I thought I was close. Fuck no. It probably took me another 2-3 hours to reach the city (including obvious distractions). It was an incredible experience, though, for someone that had barely ever left the comfortable confines of Riverwood and Whiterun. I came across two groups of giants, a fort full of Adept mages, a troll, a blood dragon, two cave bears, a thief, an imperial soldier, and a trio of drunks eager to share some mead with me.

This. Game.

There really should have been more options in minimizing your HUD. I'd like a compass, but not one that reveals so much. I'd like a map, but one that reveals less and is more dependent on my actions. This game really excels when you turn off/ignore all the aids the game provides, but to some extent I feel the game is TOO difficult without certain things.

Valdr's Lucky Dagger, people, I'm telling you. Valdr's Lucky Dagger. You can get it fresh out of Helgen and it offers a baseline 25% boosted critical rate. Use it with Elemental Fury you you'll shed dragons to mulch. I've kept the same weapon from lv.3 to lv.30.

salromano

Skyrim shipped 10 mil.

10 MILLION COPIES OF ‘GAME OF THE YEAR’ WINNER
THE ELDER SCROLLS® V: SKYRIM™ SHIPPED

Sales and Numerous ‘Game of the Year’ Awards Underscore Worldwide Popularity

December 15, 2011 (Rockville, MD) – ZeniMax® Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks’® The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360® video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.

Bethesda Softworks’® Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen ‘Game of the Year’ awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry’s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received ‘Game of the Year’ awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named ‘Most -Played Game of 2011’ by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.

“We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."

“Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history” said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. “Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.”

Skyrim Is the third consecutive game developed by the team at Bethesda Game Studios® to earn ‘Game of the Year’ honors. Bethesda Game Studios, which was named ‘Studio of the Year’ at the 2011 Video Game Awards, also created the 2006 ‘Game of the Year’, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, and the 2008 ‘Game of the Year’, Fallout® 3.

To date, Skyrim has received well over 200 perfect review scores worldwide, earning the highest praise from some of the industry’s most influential critics including: USA Today, G4TV, The New York Times, GameSpy, Wired, Eurogamer, Destructoid, GamePro, Official Xbox Magazine, Joystiq, The Guardian, Famitsu and GamesRadar. G4TV describes Skyrim as “one of the greatest games ever” and Eurogamer was one of many outlets to call it a “masterpiece.”

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been rated M for Mature by ESRB. For more information on Skyrim visit http://elderscrolls.com.

ShinNL

Valdr's Lucky Dagger, people, I'm telling you. Valdr's Lucky Dagger. You can get it fresh out of Helgen and it offers a baseline 25% boosted critical rate. Use it with Elemental Fury you you'll shed dragons to mulch. I've kept the same weapon from lv.3 to lv.30.
Whaaaaat!? *tests*

OMG

I just assumed it didn't work with Elemental Fury because any enchanted weapon won't get the boost. Holy cow, this actually works! Totally replacing my Daedric Dagger. It's only like 169 vs 187 damage or something, so the critical rate is well worth it. Feeling super badass now with Valdr's Lucky Dagger in left hand and Chillrend in right hand :D (Elemental Fury + Dagger speed + Dual wield speed bonus = S.E.X.Y)

The dagger was gifted to me though, not found in Helgen but after helping some guy with spriggans.

Whaaaaat!? *tests*

OMG

I just assumed it didn't work with Elemental Fury because any enchanted weapon won't get the boost. Holy cow, this actually works! Totally replacing my Daedric Dagger. It's only like 169 vs 187 damage or something, so the critical rate is well worth it. Feeling super badass now with Valdr's Lucky Dagger in left hand and Chillrend in right hand :D (Elemental Fury + Dagger speed + Dual wield speed bonus = S.E.X.Y)

The dagger was gifted to me though, not found in Helgen but after helping some guy with spriggans.

Yeah, what I meant was you can go to that cave after escaping the first dungeon and have it before your first level up.

You're right - the key to the dagger's awesomeness is the fact that its crit enchantment doesn't count as an "enchantment", letting you use it with Elemental Fury. Totally trumps Mehrune's Razor in that regard.

NBtoaster

A shame it cant be disenchanted.

edit: ooohh but then it wouldn't work with elemental fury..

And mehrunes razor has never worked for me ;(

Barrett2

Man, this Staff of Magnus College of Winterhold quest is taking it's toll. Pretty sure Lydia was killed one hour ago as I fled the 10 skeletons & dragon attack. Now im' balls deep in this dungeon, barely surviving... Damn.

oneils

I remember in Oblivion a quick way to level up your light/heavy armor was to conjure a weak monster and then attack it. It will then whale away on you with minimal health damage, causing your armor skills to go up. I'm not sure this works on Skyrim.

The guide says your skill in armour goes up relative to the amount of damage you take. So if you are not taking a lot of damage, apparently, your skill won't go up to high either.

BLACKLAC

That bitch at the mages college still wont sell me Guardian Circle. -_-

It's the only master spell I don't have and my character is beefed up on restoration.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question. I am 63 in destruction magic and use the flame spell with a sword or dagger. Issue is, the flame spell sucks now, and barely eats away at their heath. I have upgraded it once, but you can't upgrade it again. Is it time to look for a new spell? I have adept level unlocked but have never seen any adept spells...

BLACKLAC

Question. I am 63 in destruction magic and use the flame spell with a sword or dagger. Issue is, the flame spell sucks now, and barely eats away at their heath. I have upgraded it once, but you can't upgrade it again. Is it time to look for a new spell? I have adept level unlocked but have never seen any adept spells...

Electricity 2/2 + disintegrate >>>> Ice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fire. imo.

Ice is cool with the freeze perk even if it's 1/2. Destruction magic in general sucks until level 70 though.

Now Conjuration, that's the kings magic.

Top Bottom