• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Lakitu

st5fu
Just finishing up a few quests, but there are some quest-related items in my inventory that I have no idea what to do with. Anyone?

Arondil's Journal, Part 1-4.
A Grand Staff of Charming
Kahvozein's Fang
Curious Silver Mold

Are these DB / Thieves Guild related? Considering I won't be doing those guilds for this playthrough.

GhaleonEB

A sneaky archer sounds awesome. I'm at level 35 and tired of beating everyone over the head with blunt objects. I've been doing so exclusively from the start and now that I've finally hit 100 at one handed stuff, I should change it up. The only threat in the game at all is if someone is able to do a LOT of damage really quickly and that was only possible with high level mages. Now that I have the Spellbreaker shield, even that goes out the window.

Currently at the end of the thieves guild quests and sneaking around has been lots of fun, plus I have some good enchanted stuff too. I gotta ask though, how often do you still have to reload because of being spotted? It's pretty common for me(but then again, I think my sneak just barely hit 40 and I haven't put any perks into it).

Early on, I would get rocked a lot when I got spotted and couldn't handle direct attacks. I ended up using a sword in one hand and healing spell in the other for a while, to defend myself.

Here's the combination of perks that elevate archery into god-tier:

3x damage from sneak (Sneak perk)
50% chance to stagger with arrows (Archery perk)
Slow Time (Archery perk)
Zoom/scope (Archery perk)
30% faster bow draw (Archery perk)
Level 3 Unrelenting Force (obtained early in the main quest)

Once I hit those, reloads dropped dramatically and even directly attacking enemies were not a threat (for the most part). Here's how they play out in combination:

I approach a Forsworn camp, scouting it from a nearby high rock. I spot several sentries on walkways on either side, a good 50+ yards away. From my perch, I ready an arrow, and zoom in as time slows. I line up a shot on a sentry, leading the shot and aming a touch low to take into account the arc of the arrow. I fire and a moment later hear the "shtoonk* as it lands home. 3x damage kills the sentry instantly, and his flaming body (enchantments FTW) tumbles down the stairs.

His death alterts other Forsworn, who run to inspect the body. Two more arrows drops two other Forsworn as they stand around the corpse. Another sentry followed by a stronger soldier see where the arrows came from and start to close in. I use slow time again to land another 3x shot on the lead target, who drops like a rock. His buddy now spots me, so I come out of sneak to become more mobile.

I slow time and land a shot in his chest, and find he's a higher class enemy, and the shot only takes down 20% of his health. However, the arrow staggers him, and he stumbles back...in slow motion because I'm already readying my next arrow, which lands before he can even recover. It doesn't stagger, but the next does and now I've got him in what I call a death dance. He's caught staggering in slow motion and my final two arrows sink into his chest and he falls, a human pin cushion.

Climbing the steps I see a final target - the Briarheart. These gusy are mean, and I can't let him touch me as they can one-hit me down. I land four shots before he's closed distance, all in slow motion. The last staggers him, and I follow up with Unrelenting Force to blast him back across the encampment. I arc two arrows into him while he's standing up, and from my newfound distance land several follow-ups (all in slow motion) for the final kill.

The camp now mine, I loot everyone as I see fit. Checking the body of the first sentry I sniped, I find an arrow through his left eye.

That's a description of how I took down a camp a few nights ago. The general pattern is how many of my encounters play out, particularly in dungeons where sight lines can be shorter than I prefer. Once you can slow an enemy's approach, and stagger them for follow-up shots, you become a killing machine. It's been incredibly satisfying.

Last night I took down a very large (~15 enemies) Forsworn camp without so much as being spotted - snipe shots all. Felt so good.
The bugged one I was talking about is
War Hero
. If you went too far with the main story, you won't be able to get this one. But loading an earlier save can always fix it - just you can't stand the crappy stats and equippments anymore ;-)

Got it. I'll advance the civil war first, and do the main quest second. I'll read up on the bug tonight.

Ghaleon, that sounds awesome. I looked in the booklet and got kind of confused on the enchantments. For archery, is it from bow to bow or does it always apply to whatever bow you're using?

The only bows I have access to right now are the hunting bow and the long bow (I think). I wonder when I'm going to get my hands on a new bow.

Xevren

Just finishing up a few quests, but there are some quest-related items in my inventory that I have no idea what to do with. Anyone?

Arondil's Journal, Part 1-4.
A Grand Staff of Charming
Kahvozein's Fang
Curious Silver Mold

Are these DB / Thieves Guild related? Considering I won't be doing those guilds for this playthrough.

Kahvozein's Fang I think is from the quest for getting mastery spells for alteration.

Ghaleon, that sounds awesome. I looked in the booklet and got kind of confused on the enchantments. For archery, is it from bow to bow or does it always apply to whatever bow you're using?

The only bows I have access to right now are the hunting bow and the long bow (I think). I wonder when I'm going to get my hands on a new bow.

You enchant an item. If you put a fire enchant on an iron bow, it won't be on another iron bow you find. You'll probably find a lot of enchanted bows throughout the game, too.

And Sul has been retired. I finished of Peryite's quest to unlock the 'Oblivion Walker'-achievement, picked a few more pockets for the 'Thief'-achievement, made a save and then went on a rampage throughout the holds to unlock 'Master Criminal'. When I got that one, I reloaded, offloaded all the stuff I didn't need, and went back to Riften, to Sul's base of operations. He'll spend the rest of his days stealing shit and killing guys, but I won't be there to make him do it.

I might take a break now. The game's awesome, but I might play some more CEA now. It's an easier game to play during study breaks, at least.

I still need to roll two characters for the College and the Companions, but they'll be far from full-fledged playthroughs. And then maybe reroll Wulf as an Imperial.

And Arondil's Journal is for Vekel the Man in the Ragged Flagon in Riften.

Arjen

Sounds excatly like my playstyle Ghaleon, archery is so much fun in this game. Final paralyse perk with the bow is pretty good to.

I was looking for ingredients with fortify smithing and lucked into a cave with a ton of glowing mushrooms. Ended up stockpiling 200 of those guys since Blisterworts are pretty common. Any idea where I can find ingredients with fortify restore though? I have a ton of salt but rarely find any other ingredient with that property. Those alchemy shops are pretty inconsistent.

Dax, it would do you good to poke around on this site for a bit to get the basics down so that you don't need everything explained to you:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

You enchant an item. If you put a fire enchant on an iron bow, it won't be on another iron bow you find. You'll probably find a lot of enchanted bows throughout the game, too.
Cool. I didn't even know about enchantments until I read the manual. I think I have some poison on-hand that I'll put on my arrows when I boot up the game later tonight.

I have two characters going, one is still early on, and the other is my main play through. On my main character, I use the bow as a distance weapon and snipe all the time, but if someone gets up close, I'm good with destruction magic and a one handed sword as well. It's a great combo, and pretty versatile, but not as fun to play as my secondary character, who is much more stealth oriented, using the bow and duel wielding a sword and dagger. That character is like an assassin/thief, with only a bit of arcane knowledge for healing.

Both are satisfying to play and archery is one of the best aspects of Skyrim.

Hm. I just tried the sleep/wait thirty days to see if things would reset and make my save smaller. It doesn't look like it helped at all, if anything the save got a tiny bit bigger.

My destruction magic is level 40 and I'm still a novice, so basically those 40 levels have done nothing to make my Flames spell more powerful?

Is that right? If so, pretty fucking retarded.

My destruction magic is level 40 and I'm still a novice, so basically those 40 levels have done nothing to make my Flames spell more powerful?

Is that right? If so, pretty fucking retarded.

You need to buy more powerful versions of that spell. Flame will do more damage as you progress in skill, but it's nowhere near the damage the Adept, Expert and Master-level fire spells will do.

Oh, so novice is about the power of the spell, not my level. Got it.

The game really fails at explaining these things, I feel.

Where can I pick up better versions of them? :D

NBtoaster

Dungeons are getting a wee bit tedious now that it seems almost every Draugr I see is a Deathlord. It's not hard, they just have a lot of health. Had to deal with all this at once:

gghghbiz5p.jpg

Dungeons are getting a wee bit tedious now that it seems almost every Draugr I see is a Deathlord. It's not hard, they just have a lot of health. Had to deal with all this at once:

gghghbiz5p.jpg

I'm used to kicking Deathlord ass with Wulf, and that image still makes me want to squeal for mommy.

Not really, I'd kill them and then use their helmets as christmas decorations. Shame you can't loot them, I'd love running around with horns like that.

Did a crypt the other night that was full of Deathlords as well. Got a bit cocky at taking them down, as one-on-one I can handle them pretty easily. It wasn't quite so funny when a second or third one would come around the corner though. Yikes! Wasn't expecting that to happen.

Sharp

gghghbiz5p.jpg
Double Dremora Lord it and stare at the scenery for a minute or so and everything will be over.

Just rolled a new character (my 4th), an Argonian adventurer-thief named Thee-And-Thine. Switches up between mace and bow, wearing light armor. Excited about this build, as well as the chance to explore the Pickpocket perk tree (+100 carry weight, here I come).

An in-depth character bio is forthcoming. Let me play with him a bit longer and really get to know him. Off to join the thieves guild.

GhaleonEB

gghghbiz5p.jpg

This is one of the reasons I re-rolled a character this morning. I was to the point where I'd either one-shot an enemy, or have a bunch of guys like that. Nothing in between.

I'm still debating my new character. She was going to be an archer with some alteration and such magic on the side, but I'm leaning more and more toward a one-handed character with the same mix of magic I had planned. In particular, an axe user for the bleeding damage. I'll know by the time I'm out of the tutorial dungeon.

I really enjoy these early, formative stages in the game. So many choices.

I plan on starting the Civil War quest tonight. I'll ask around the folks in Whiterun and Riverwood what they think of the two sides.

Right now with no background information on either side, I'm leaning towards Imperial because I have an Imperial background and I'm from Cyrodiil.

I can't believe how shitty the 360 version of this game is. I can't even begin to imagine that the PS3 could be worse than this. Now that I am at lvl 45 I hit insane fps drops all the time now. Its pretty much unplayable at times.

I can't believe how shitty the 360 version of this game is. I can't even begin to imagine that the PS3 could be worse than this. Now that I am at lvl 45 I hit insane fps drops all the time now. Its pretty much unplayable at times.

Sure your 360 isn't just dying? I've put in over 200 hours in this game, spread over two characters. One character at level 53, another at 42. The game runs just the same as it does with a new character.

Also, I'm reading up on some of the lore I'd missed about stuff immediately following Oblivion. Ocato became the potentate, but the Thalmor assassinated him. Bastards, that guy was my bro.

I plan on starting the Civil War quest tonight. I'll ask around the folks in Whiterun and Riverwood what they think of the two sides.

Right now with no background information on either side, I'm leaning towards Imperial because I have an Imperial background and I'm from Cyrodiil.

You'll lean towards that side no matter who you ask. There are good reasons to go Stormcloak, but few in-game NPCs will give you those reasons. Mostly they'll just talk about how Skyrim is for the Nords, and everyone else can GTFO. There's really no way you can support that side as anyone other than an ultra-nationalist Nord.

Sure your 360 isn't just dying? I've put in over 200 hours in this game, spread over two characters. One character at level 53, another at 42. The game runs just the same as it does with a new character.

Also, I'm reading up on some of the lore I'd missed about stuff immediately following Oblivion. Ocato became the potentate, but the Thalmor assassinated him. Bastards, that guy was my bro.

How can I tell if its dying? I don't think so. I mean I don't have any idea if it is.

GhaleonEB

You'll lean towards that side no matter who you ask. There are good reasons to go Stormcloak, but few in-game NPCs will give you those reasons. Mostly they'll just talk about how Skyrim is for the Nords, and everyone else can GTFO. There's really no way you can support that side as anyone other than an ultra-nationalist Nord.

Aye. I took the Stormcloak side of things without knowing a lot about the background of either side, and over time came to conclude they were on the wrong side of things. I was sympathetic to their grievances (Talos worship ban, the Thalmor running amok), but objected to their mindset, which spilled over from nationalism to outright racism.

Without wanting to color your choice Dax, take particular note of how the Dark Elves and Khajiit are treated in Windhelm, and then project that across all of Skyrim.

It's still not a black/white thing, and I ended up still sympathetic to the Stormcloaks. But in terms of tactics and attitude, I could no longer support them in the end.

ShinNL

I think I'm gonna increase the damage output of my dual sword wielding conjurer with ... destruction! No wait, I see you all posting about the weakness of destruction in late game (and I'm level 72, haha), but I was thinking of using spells that practically no one uses: elemental cloaking + runes. Not only will it look bad ass, but it seems to fit well with my low magicka pool type of magician and I'm planning to use frost-only skills. That way my Chillrend will benefit from it as well.

I really love how my character turned out. Sure people are saying melee is overpowered, but because I went dual wielding you sacrifice a good chunk of proper defense. Compensate it with maxed resist and maxed armor and then apply the logic: kill them faster than they kill you. Thus power is everything. It's not like you're immortal, at my level (and of course on Master difficulty) almost every random enemy is the most powerful scaled version and I can't just sit there and take it. (This is kinda funny because there's no scaled version of skeletons, they always insta-pop with 1 poke)

During my whole game I tried some iffy ranged stuff like cheap firebolts and archery, bound and daedric version. But they just don't feel synced with dual wielding swords. Whereas conjuration and dual wielding was a perfect match from the start, since you precast your stuff before battle (Flame atronach ftw, screw other tanks, I'm the tank) and then rush in (sprint!) like a grim reaper. So good!

I also finally stopped using 'training' guardian stones as almost all my skills are maxed and I decided on perm'ing The Ritual Stone. It's the most fun once-a-day ability to use. Revive mammoths, giants, draugr to fight for you with no limit on the amount? Oh yes please :D
However, if they fixed The Atronach Stone with summons, I might opt for that instead later to be close to immune to magic. That way I can lower my resistance cap, getting an extra slot for enchanting.

I think all melee users should have the first 2 rows of restoration and 1 in the phoenix revive ability. Dual casting instant healing (plenty of health with the +50% perk) and restores stamina, so you can power attack again. It's perfect since you trade in your useless magicka during combat to feel fresh again with the regenerated health and stamina. And this of course keeps my dual wielding theme.

Now if only my Valdr's dagger doesn't require me to go to the favorites menu each time to equip in the left hand it would be absolutely perfect. I don't understand why no one has made a mod for this yet :(

For those interested, the Imperial Library has a semi-complete timeline of the Fourth Era. Attrebus' reign (between Titus I and II) is missing, but we don't know anything about that so far. Still, I didn't know (or at least didn't remember) that the Thalmor and Hammerfell had also signed a treaty. I also like the epilogue to 'The Great War':

There can be no doubt that the current peace can not last forever. The Thalmor take the long view, as is proved by the sequence of events leading up to the Great War. All those who value freedom over tyranny can only hope that before it is too late, Hammerfell and the Empire will be reconciled and stand united against the Thalmor threat. Otherwise, any hope to stem the tide of Thalmor rule over all of Tamriel is dimmed.

I dunno about quests but... here's how to grind it if you are interested:
Set the game to novice difficulty, wear your best heavy armor, find a wolf, stand against a wall, let the wolf bite you over night and you should get heavy armor 100.

Same method applies to light armor and blocking (tho you have to keep the blocking button stuck). Sneaking can be grinded too but you have to find the correct store.

Thanks for the tip on the heavy armor. I'll try that when I get back.
3AQmK.gif

ShinNL

Thanks for the tip on the heavy armor. I'll try that when I get back.
3AQmK.gif
Or do it like a pro and just let giants hit you. Every hit is a level up, pretty much.

Unless you fly with a single hit... :p

It's more fun. Sparring with Giants :D
I easily trained my Light armor and Blocking with them. Such nice guys ^_^

Aye. I took the Stormcloak side of things without knowing a lot about the background of either side, and over time came to conclude they were on the wrong side of things. I was sympathetic to their grievances (Talos worship ban, the Thalmor running amok), but objected to their mindset, which spilled over from nationalism to outright racism.

Without wanting to color your choice Dax, take particular note of how the Dark Elves and Khajiit are treated in Windhelm, and then project that across all of Skyrim.

It's still not a black/white thing, and I ended up still sympathetic to the Stormcloaks. But in terms of tactics and attitude, I could no longer support them in the end.
Hm. Maybe I should visit Windhelm before I make my decision, then, before I make my decision. I haven't discovered that city yet, though. Keep in mind that I'm still trying to get a grasp on what's going on in this world at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to figure things out after tonight.

The issue is, I'm sympathetic to the Nords who are no longer able to worship Talos as they please. I understand that they feel sold-out by the Empire, because they have been. I can understand a Nord rising up in righteous anger when the empire that allegedly has their best interests at heart allows enemy agents (the Thalmor) to enter their sovereign lands and kidnap and torture Nords as they see fit simply for being Nords. But that's the thing: it's all righteous anger, however justified it may be. There's no endgame. Ulfric's rebellion will lead to nothing but the Thalmor invading in a year or two as opposed to invading now. Worse still, there's no Imperial buffer to keep them in check.

That said, if you're a Nord and your society just sold you out to a bunch of warmongering mer, I'd completely understand if you sided with the Stormcloaks. Siding with the Imperials is better for Tamriel in the long run, but it's kind of hard to think about that when you're being kidnapped and tortured for your beliefs.

So morally, there's no right or wrong side. Practically, if your goal is a free Skyrim and the defeat of the Thalmor, the empire is the only way to go.

So morally, there's no right or wrong side. Practically, if your goal is a free Skyrim and the defeat of the Thalmor, the empire is the only way to go.

qvrzpmdhe.gif

All this support for the Empire's bringing a tear to Wulf's eye.

I'm sympathetic to the Nords, too, but fighting the Empire because you want Talos worship restored is kinda stupid. Instead of fighting each other, they should've prepared for war against the Thalmor.

Give me an Empire restored to its full glory like in Oblivion for TES VI, Beth.

gate777

Early on in the game I used to die quite easily. Now, 100+ hours later and level 43, I have the following.

• Dragonbone Armour (Light) 197 Defence.
  • Dragonbone Gauntlets (Light) 87 Defence with +28% Archery and +28% 2-handed
  • Dragonbone Helmet (Light) 92 Defence with +28% Archery
  • Dragonbone Boots (Light) 87 Defence with +39% Resist Fire.
  • Dragonbone Shield (Light) 84 Defence (Only used in Dire situations)
  • Ring with +39% Fire Resist and +26% Shock Resist
  • Amulet with +28% 2-handed and +18% Resist Magic
  • Deadric Battle Axe (2 Handed) 191 Attack
  • Deadric Bow 97 Attack
  • Deadric Bow 89 Attack with Soul Absorb for 2 seconds.
  • Black Star for NPC Grand Souls and recharging
  • 100 in Smithing
  • 100 in Enchanting
  • 100 in Sneak
  • 25% Bonus if wearing all light armour

I can take on 5 enemies at once and a strong R1 swing is enough to kill 1 in 1 shot.

GhaleonEB

The issue is, I'm sympathetic to the Nords who are no longer able to worship Talos as they please. I understand that they feel sold-out by the Empire, because they have been. I can understand a Nord rising up in righteous anger when the empire that allegedly has their best interests at heart allows enemy agents (the Thalmor) to enter their sovereign lands and kidnap and torture Nords as they see fit simply for being Nords. But that's the thing: it's all righteous anger, however justified it may be. There's no endgame. Ulfric's rebellion will lead to nothing but the Thalmor invading in a year or two as opposed to invading now. Worse still, there's no Imperial buffer to keep them in check.

That said, if you're a Nord and your society just sold you out to a bunch of warmongering mer, I'd completely understand if you sided with the Stormcloaks. Siding with the Imperials is better for Tamriel in the long run, but it's kind of hard to think about that when you're being kidnapped and tortured for your beliefs.

Very well said. This is what I was alluding to when I referred to poor tactical planning: (and here I'm going to bust out the spoiler tags for folks like Dax)
if the goal is to liberate Skyrim, they are going about it exactly the wrong way. Defeating the Thalmor will require a unified front, and fracturing the Empire in the way they did only strengthens the Thalmor's hand. And in fact, plays right into their hand. You can imagine their delight as the Stormcloaks and Empire beat the crap out of each other, instead of them. The old divide and conquer.

I never got the sense that Ulfric was in it just for himself. I came away convinced he really was rising up out of moral outrage, rather than a pure power grab. But the result of his actions did not make Skyrim stronger - it made it weaker.

Plus - and this is what I really object to - they're racist motherfuckers. I don't roll that way.

All of which makes me wonder which outcome of the Civil War will become canon.

Presumably, it won't be disclosed in detail. If Beth sticks with the Empire, I think the timeline for the next TES game will probably just say the Empire unified Skyrim a few years after the events of the game. That way, the Stormcloaks could have won... But the Empire ultimately returns.

I dunno, just speculation, though.

I say this with 99.9% certainy. There will likely be no "canon" ending to Skyrim, so Beth can avoid causing another "Warp in the West" ala Daggerfall to explain away how multiple, different endings can all fit inside the same timeline.

By the time TESVI rolls around, hundreds of years will have passed and whoever won the fight for Skyrim will be forgotten by history. Namely, because the Dominion will have won and it won't matter any more. The resulting peace at the end of Skyrim's conflict will be so small and insignificant so as to be a mere footnote in the larger scheme of the war with the Dominion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the next TES will be staged out of Hammerfell. It'll be the last sovereign pocket of humanity in Tamriel. Skyrim won't last much longer, no matter who wins.

okenny

Banned
OK... big question:

Riften or Dawnstar?
I'm so angry that this game is making me give anything to that fool Ulfric!

I really only had that issue with the dragon glitch. Thus I just stayed away until a patch came out.

Or do it like a pro and just let giants hit you. Every hit is a level up, pretty much.

Unless you fly with a single hit... :p

It's more fun. Sparring with Giants :D
I easily trained my Light armor and Blocking with them. Such nice guys ^_^

That sounds like a good option too.
KuGsj.gif

I just had an awesome moment. I captured it on FRAPS so I'll upload it now.

All I can say is this game is at its best when you're out in the open and random shit happens. God fucking damn. Dragon vs 3 mammoths vs giant vs me.

SO GOOD.

Barrett2

Is there any way to easily determine where / what happened to your companion?

This morning I was in a big battle, saved. When I loaded it up just now, Lydia is nowhere in sight. Im' guessing she died before the save? But I can't find her body. Not sure if she's glitched on a rock somewhere, or I just don't see her corpse.

jasonng

I've always wondered, do you as the protagonist ever face certain favoritism or even prejudice depending on the race you choose? I've only rolled an Imperial and a Redguard, both of which were never treated differently. Other than the rare occasion someone calls you by your race, you are never identified and treated accordingly by it. It makes me wonder. For example, what would happened if you rolled a Dark Elf and decided to join the Rebellion?

GhaleonEB

Well, shit. I guess that's the ending of the Imperial side of the Civil War. :\

You should probably spoiler tag what you quoted at the top of the page, okenny.

I was looking forward to killing Ulfric.

Top Bottom