• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Why is it so hard to level up Alteration? Conjuration levels up very quickly with Bound Sword and Restoration is fine with Healing spells, but I've been casting that light-up spell and it's still halfway through level 20 (right when I started 5 hours ago) - the other two are 10-15 points higher so now it seems pointless to catch up. And I have the Mage Stone powerup. What is going on?

I've managed to level it using the stone flesh spell. It levels when the spell is active and enemies are around, so you just need to cast it before combat. Still taking awhile, but I'm at about 65-70 I think in alt at this point.

worst mage skill to level for me is alchemy, it is just so tedious blah. Anyone ever combine giants toe + wheat + river betty ? good resale value!

TTG

I'm level 9 but I have yet to spend any perk points because I have no idea what build I want.

Since it's still early, I would go with the boring, bread and butter route of dealing out and absorbing as much damage as possible. I think the game has struck a good balance with perks, I've never felt limited or having so many that I don't know what to spend them on. There's no way of unintentionally breaking the difficulty either, you have to purposefully grind your way in smithing. You're at level 9, say you wanted to get deadric armor, making any attempt to hurt you with melee stuff irrelevant... look at how many perks it would take to unlock that in smithing and how many iron daggers it would take to meet the prerequisite level for unlocking it. Oh, and enchanting is one of the most fun things in Elder Scrolls games, definitely go for that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why is it so hard to level up Alteration? Conjuration levels up very quickly with Bound Sword and Restoration is fine with Healing spells, but I've been casting that light-up spell and it's still halfway through level 20 (right when I started 5 hours ago) - the other two are 10-15 points higher so now it seems pointless to catch up. And I have the Mage Stone powerup. What is going on?

Try using telekinesis on loot on the ground when you have nothing to kill and a bar full of magicka. Been lvling at a decent pace with this so far.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, that book that you get from the cavern north of the Mage College is great for higher lvls. I think i went from lvl 71 to 72 just by reading it because it gave me 5 points in many different skills i had in the 90s.

Getting so close to the max lvl... maybe i should just start a new character as im completely out of quests that isnt "kill bandit leader or regular dragon". But if i start a new character, thats probably another 100 hours i'll lose for nothing as the only thing that i havent seen is unexplored ruins and caverns.

I'm level 9 but I have yet to spend any perk points because I have no idea what build I want.

I'm a Dark Elf, and I'm looking into mainly combat with archery and magic as very viable back-up options.

So what should I focus on leveling up? Like, what do you guys prefer: one-handed or two-handed, heavy armor or light armor, etc.

I also hear smithing/enchanting can ruin the game if leveled too much. Any truth to this?
If you are into archery, you may want to add perks to archery itself, and sneak (for the hit bonuses when you're hidden) - But I felt maxing out both these skill trees would 'break' the combat for me somewhat though - stuff like not setting off traps with the sneak perk, and some of the archery perks make it too powerful, especially if you're wearing several pieces of armour, jewellery that give archery bonuses.

I would say that speechcraft is well worth maxing out to 100 to get the end perks - having all the merchants have as much cash as possible is really helpful when it comes to selling that loot.

Man, I'd love to crush that love triangle in Riverwood and just marry Camilla, saying "fuck you" to the other two guys, but since you can't get divorced in this game, I'm not sure if I really want her.

This might sound crazy, but if Beth really wants to go the "love and marry me" route, maybe they should take a look at the Bioware games. Not talking about awkward sex scenes, but there should be more interaction between the characters, than just "so, interested? Yeah, me too, let's marry".

Or, you know what, they should take a look at the CD Project Red games. Gerald is great at whoring and fucking around and he still has to do at least a bit of conversation, that gets him to this point.

lil smoke

Banned
If you are into archery, you may want to add perks to archery itself, and sneak (for the hit bonuses when you're hidden) - But I felt maxing out both these skill trees would 'break' the combat for me somewhat though - stuff like not setting off traps with the sneak perk, and some of the archery perks make it too powerful, especially if you're wearing several pieces of armour, jewellery that give archery bonuses.
Yeah I felt like I only needed a few of the perks under archery. I'm on 60% damage with eagle eye and steady hand. With necklaces, gloves, rings, potions, stamina foods, it becomes overkill. If you've got sneak, half the work is done. I am still using my 7 damage Fosworn arrows with a 30 damage Drainspell bow and doing fine in that regard. Helps that I'm a wood elf too.

But that's from afar. Up close in combat my guy is pretty awful. At some point I decided to level a little of everything, but master nothing. So at level 34 I have beginners armor and just decent weapons, well rounded everything else.

Well just got back from this Northwatch Keep place, got my clock turned around every corner. At the end the only way I'd make it thru there was to run/hide and try to dart in and use healing hands on Brelyna when the coast was clear. She and her flame atronach did ALL the work while I ran around just trying to maintain my pathetic health after running out of any efficient ways to heal myself. I was down to eating green apples. This lasted forever. Sometimes her atronach would come after me (?) and she'd start taking it on while taking on 3-4 Thalmor. She was amazing really. I was able to get in some paralyze spells, and believe it or not whirlwind sprint saved my ass a couple of times.

With this playthrough I think I'll keep to the story and play as a "healer" and silent helper while my companion does the work. It is fun to sit back and watch.

Sharp

Alteration was by far the easiest to level up for me. Not only are there lots of ways to "cheaply" level it up (e.g. casting detect life in a crowded room, telekinesis, etc.), but I used it all the fucking time anyway because it's so useful.

The area I have most trouble leveling, by far, is Restoration. Because I went full mage, I still only have 100hp (like 700 magicka though lololol) so no matter what spell I cast it never restores very much or levels very much. Even the equilibrium <-> restoration method levels incredibly slowly. At this rate I'm not sure how I'll ever make it to 100.

Question for the mages: how do you manage your magicka consumption? I'm a lvl 37 destruction mage, my skill is at lvl 100, I'm wearing the arch-mage robes and his amulet, which gives me in total 570 magicka points. two charged expert spells are enough and I'm almost out of juice, which makes me run around like an idiot in fights.

Sharp

Question for the mages: how do you manage your magicka consumption? I'm a lvl 37 destruction mage, my skill is at lvl 100, I'm wearing the arch-mage robes and his amulet, which gives me in total 570 magicka points. two charged expert spells are enough and I'm almost out of juice, which makes me run around like an idiot in fights.
1. Make sure you have all the 50% Magicka perks for your level (e.g. Expert / Master Destruction). Without that the higher-level spells are basically unusable at first.
2. Make sure you're maxing out your Magicka regen equipment-wise. The robe gives you +100%, but you'll also want Morokai (+100%) and probably an enchanted ring that gives you another high amount of magicka regen.
2. Make sure you get some other Perks: the Atronach one for Alteration (absorb 30% of Magicka that hits you) and the +50% Magicka restoration Restoration perk. These two are really useful.

This is what I do to be able to spam most levels of spells of all classes. Yeah I sometimes have to run around awkwardly, but with fast enough regen it really isn't that big of a deal--even in battle. I also understand that the spells get cheaper as you level up, so the better you get the easier the spells will be to spam.

But Master / Expert level can be a bitch. Since so far I haven't maxed out Destruction I haven't really needed to spam Master level spells yet--things like Dragonhide (which is a must when you only have 100 hp) or Storm Thrall don't really need to be cast repeatedly. From what I understand, most people who want to be able to cast these spells use smithing / enchanting / alchemy to create powerful enchanted armor with four pieces that each have -25% Magicka for Destruction. Combined, they result in zero-cost Destruction magic, so you can spam Master spells all day every day.

Anteater

Stupid Yngol Barrow black screen bug, fix this shit Bethesda

Though saving the game and reloading it seems to work for me. (still needs to quit the game)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I'm a Dark Elf, and I'm looking into mainly combat with archery and magic as very viable back-up options.

So what should I focus on leveling up? Like, what do you guys prefer: one-handed or two-handed, heavy armor or light armor, etc.

I also hear smithing/enchanting can ruin the game if leveled too much. Any truth to this?

Based off this, I'm thinking about focusing on these skills:

One-handed
Destruction
Archery
Smithing
Light Armor

It seems like Sneak, Lockpicking, Speech, Alchemy, and Enchanting are easy to level up just by playing the game.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Maybe swap Smithing and Enchanting? Light Armor and Heavy Armor? Thoughts?

GhaleonEB

Based off this, I'm thinking about focusing on these skills:

One-handed
Destruction
Archery
Smithing
Light Armor

It seems like Sneak, Lockpicking, Speech, Alchemy, and Enchanting are easy to level up just by playing the game.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Maybe swap Smithing and Enchanting? Light Armor and Heavy Armor? Thoughts?

My approach to character builds is pick a primary combat style and then marry complimentary skills to it. One-handed, Destruction and Archery is an interesting mix - are you thinking archery from a distance, and then sword in one hand, attack spell in the other when things are up close?

If so that build can work. I haven't looked at the Light Armor perk tree, but I'm assuming it is focused on defensive bonuses, which you'll need without a shield. You'll need a way to heal up fast, so your options there are 1) buy lots of healing potions, 2) make your own (Alchemy) or 3) heal yourself with magic (Restoration). The first costs coin, the second two would be something you'll want to level a bit.

Smithing and Enchanting go hand in hand - I suggest working on both.

TTG

Around 100 hours in on the ps3 version and getting around on a horse is broken. The game just can't keep up(using vague terms here, I'm guessing it just can't stream stuff in fast enough) with the pace at which I'm moving so the framerate drops and eventually it crashes. It's crashing a lot more often in general too. I would guess around 2 crashes a night now on average. As long as there are no quest breaking bugs I'll keep playing, but this is getting noticeably ridiculous now.

Around 100 hours in on the ps3 version and getting around on a horse is broken. The game just can't keep up(using vague terms here, I'm guessing it just can't stream stuff in fast enough) with the pace at which I'm moving so the framerate drops and eventually it crashes. It's crashing a lot more often in general too. I would guess around 2 crashes a night now on average. As long as there are no quest breaking bugs I'll keep playing, but this is getting noticeably ridiculous now.

That's the PS3 version for you. Sorry to say it, but bail out if you have another option to play it on.

TTG

That's the PS3 version for you. Sorry to say it, but bail out if you have another option to play it on.

Wouldn't even if I could, I'm too close to finishing now. Speaking of which, officially became thief guild master today and reached 100k in gold. That's 2 more achievements out of the way.

Did you turn off the 'autosave on menus' option? This was the major one for me with concern to crashes - once I turned it off, I didn't have another crash for about another ~120hrs of gameplay.

When my framerate turns to mush, I know it's time to quit playing because it's been about 4/5 hours (!) or reset and settle in for another butt-aching session!

I just got up to date with the patches on the PS3 version too and it took my save file from 17MB to 15MB, don't know what it did, but that can't be a bad thing. I was dreading Markath, but I'm finding the framerate better there than in Whiterun. huh.

soldat7

The textures are pretty low-res on the 360. Not sure if this is just the way it is, or if I'm seeing the famous 360 texture problem. I've tried clearing my cache and installing.

Edit: These dang shadows are janky as heck. Lots of jank in this game, in general, but still having a good time.

Can anyone comment on the hardcover start guide? Is it good quality?

Sec0nd

So after playing this game for over 120 hours the 'end' is finally coming in sight. The only city and surrounding area is Falkreath. My quest log is also finally getting smaller instead of growing. Also still need to finish the Thieves Guild and start the Dark Brotherhood and after that I can finally start the main quest, I still need to visit the Gray Beards haha.

After 120 hours I'm kind of getting bored of the game. Well I still love it but I can't get my self to loot every single object or dead body in each cave like I did the first 100 hours. Also I'm just dumping every item into my chest back at Whiterun. Also I'm just going through it a bit fast now.

What a great game it has to be for me not to be bored until the 100+ hour mark, damn. And that with stack of games like UC3, Batman, Saints, ACR and Halo CEA laying next to me untouched!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So after playing this game for over 120 hours the 'end' is finally coming in sight. The only city and surrounding area is Falkreath. My quest log is also finally getting smaller instead of growing. Also still need to finish the Thieves Guild and start the Dark Brotherhood and after that I can finally start the main quest, I still need to visit the Gray Beards haha.

After 120 hours I'm kind of getting bored of the game. Well I still love it but I can't get my self to loot every single object or dead body in each cave like I did the first 100 hours. Also I'm just dumping every item into my chest back at Whiterun. Also I'm just going through it a bit fast now.

What a great game it has to be for me not to be bored until the 100+ hour mark, damn. And that with stack of games like UC3, Batman, Saints, ACR and Halo CEA laying next to me untouched!

This is *exactly* what happened to me, too. Right around the same 100-hour mark. Just going through the motions to wrap up the few things I have left then I'll move on. Can't complain about a game that gave me 100+ hours of enjoyment, even if the flaws stick out more than the virtues at this point.

This is *exactly* what happened to me, too. Right around the same 100-hour mark. Just going through the motions to wrap up the few things I have left then I'll move on. Can't complain about a game that gave me 100+ hours of enjoyment, even if the flaws stick out more than the virtues at this point.

Same thing here.

What I ended up doing is starting up a new game with a COMPLETELY different character. First character was a heavy armor sword/shield/destruction/conjouration battle mage.

The second one is a Thief/Stealth character who uses illusion and restoration. The game is so different, and those old quests feel fresh again.

In addition, I'm COMPLETELY leaving the dragons/shouts out. Not starting the main quest at all. It has completely changed the dynamic of the game and is really enjoyable. Kind of like Oblivion was if you never start the main quest.

Same thing here.

What I ended up doing is starting up a new game with a COMPLETELY different character. First character was a heavy armor sword/shield/destruction/conjouration battle mage.

The second one is a Thief/Stealth character who uses illusion and restoration. The game is so different, and those old quests feel fresh again.

In addition, I'm COMPLETELY leaving the dragons/shouts out. Not starting the main quest at all. It has completely changed the dynamic of the game and is really enjoyable. Kind of like Oblivion was if you never start the main quest.

This is what I'm doing. Completely rejuvenated my interest in the game.

ShinNL

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Since you can hotkey armor pieces, instead of using a Conjuration & Destruction spell reduction chest, I can just make a C chest with both conjuration reduction enchantments (good one + 'weak' one with mana regen) and a D chest with both destruction reduction enchantments. I use thralls anyway which last permanently after casting the summons. Silly silly me!

Also, I don't understand what people say about how weak magic is. I just tested some Ice Spears on an Ancient Dragon. Plenty of acceptable damage. I just ran out of mana because I have 'only' 29 x 3 spell reduction.

Osietra

Banned
I was just wondering since Skyrim can be played as an FPS, or sword and shield, or however you pretty much want to play, unless it's the PS3 lol, is it the best gaming experience so far?

So I defeated (final boss) in (final place) which I suppose means I've beaten the main quest. I think I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a staff roll but I didn't get one. Did my game glitch out or is it supposed to be like that? If it is, I'm not complaining as it's a cool way to stress the open-endedness of the game.

I think I'm gonna stop playing for now, though (I put roughly 70 hours into it -- on PS3 and without any major performance issues. :p), this game's iron grip on my free time has got to stop. :p

So I defeated (final boss) in (final place) which I suppose means I've beaten the main quest. I think I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a staff roll but I didn't get one. Did my game glitch out or is it supposed to be like that? If it is, I'm not complaining as it's a cool way to stress the open-endedness of the game.

I think I'm gonna stop playing for now, though (I put roughly 70 hours into it -- on PS3 and without any major performance issues. :p), this game's iron grip on my free time has got to stop. :p

No end credits, no.

Dabanton

I'm level 53 with 140 hours played on the ps3 and I just entered
Blackreach
for the first time. This game was my goty pretty much the second I put the disc in, but this is a different level. So beautiful and alien.

Beautiful isn't it?

Very creepy though caught a
Falmer
silently sneaking up behind me when i was going through it.

Scared the shit out of me.

Ok so I just did the Dustman's Cairn mission to join the Companions. Anyway, they make you send away your current follower (Lydia in my case) and have that Farkas guy go with you. I heard Lydia give the line that she gives when you send her away so I figured she'd just wait at my home in Whiterun.

Anyway, I completed the mission and went looking for her again. Nowhere to be found. Not in my house or at the Jarl's place. I don't give a shit about her but she was holding a lot of good items that I want back.

I guess my question is, if I hire or gain a different follower now will she be gone for good? Any other places I should check?

edit: Nevermind, found her. She was standing behind the door of my bedroom...creepy.

TTG

So, I bought the house in Windhelm, completely decorated it and none of the weapon racks can be activated and different parts of the mannequins disappear as I put apparel on them. Is this a known glitch? I don't really care if this shit is on display or in a chest at Whiterun, just have nothing else to spend money on.

GhaleonEB

Same thing here.

Yup. I've concluded Skyrim's leveling system advances so fast, it's not possible to do all of what I want to do on a single character without maxing out early. In fact, it's going take three:

• First was archer and sneak thief completed the Civil War as a Stormcloak, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild (mostly, thanks to a glitch). (DONE)
  • A one-handed, Alteration and Illusion master, for the main quest and College of Winterhold. (In progress.)
  • A two-handed brawler for Companions and the Civil War as an Imperial. (Next in line.)

Each romps through a healthy smattering of side quests, which is making not only the characters, but the content they touch unique.

Entered the Labyrinthian. I have this sinking feeling that Rolf is not prepared, but we'll see how it goes.
I just got through Mzulft a short time ago, and it's sounding like Labyrinthian is up next. Can't wait, I've heard it's a great dungeon, certainly the outside is mammoth.

Alis came into her own in Mzulft. Spotting dead Falmer was enough to get me to grind Illusion up three levels using Muffle (about 10 consecutive casts) to level 50 so I could use Frenzy. Shortly after, I gave Alis a title: the Puppet Master.

I knew what Frenzy would do, but I hadn't considered how I could use it in conjunction with Calm. My first encounter with a Falmer (aside from the ones that slaughtered me and sent me out of a previous dungeon asap) was with a lone one, which had me wondering how to incorporate Frenzy into the mix. That would just turn them on me.

So, I hit the guy with Calm and walked past him, where I found a second Falmer around the corner. That's who I tagged with Frenzy, and then led him back to his now very mellow buddy, whom he assaulted as I ran past. I sit back and watch the brawl, and slay the victor in a couple of blows.

Later, I do the same to those giant Chorus bugs (which can kill me one on one). The best encounter was with a high level Falmer, who Frenzy would not work on. But it worked on the Stalker and two regular Falmers around him, resulting in a four way brawl. I sit far back and toss spells in as appropriate to keep it going. In the end there's just a Falmer left who I smack down and carry on my way.

I'm now going to take a break from the College quest line (after I return 100 freaking lbs of Dwarven cogs) and advance the main quest. I'm a bit nervous about my strategy for Dragons; I might have to resort to a bit of Conjuration so as to distract them. My combat is good enough that if they get close I can do formidable damage.

Those bandits that were one-shotting me earlier are going to tear their buddies a new one.

Karl2177

Sabretooth cats are bastards. I'm still somewhat early on, but these guys are killing me with 2 hits, and they take more than 20 hits from my shock infused steel sword.

Also, because I'm pretty new, what are amethysts and other rare gems for?

GhaleonEB

Sabretooth cats are bastards. I'm still somewhat early on, but these guys are killing me with 2 hits, and they take more than 20 hits from my shock infused steel sword.

Also, because I'm pretty new, what are amethysts and other rare gems for?

They're just loot - sell them for money, or smith them into silver or gold jewelry, which increases their value. Then you can either enchant them or sell them for gold (or, enchant them and sell them for lots of gold).

Hang on to any flawless gems you find, as often you'll get NPC's sending you on quests to find them.

Yup. I've concluded Skyrim's leveling system advances so fast, it's not possible to do all of what I want to do on a single character without maxing out early. In fact, it's going take three:

• First was archer and sneak thief completed the Civil War as a Stormcloak, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild (mostly, thanks to a glitch). (DONE)
  • A one-handed, Alteration and Illusion master, for the main quest and College of Winterhold. (In progress.)
  • A two-handed brawler for Companions and the Civil War as an Imperial. (Next in line.)

Each romps through a healthy smattering of side quests, which is making not only the characters, but the content they touch unique.

I just got through Mzulft a short time ago, and it's sounding like Labyrinthian is up next. Can't wait, I've heard it's a great dungeon, certainly the outside is mammoth.

Alis came into her own in Mzulft. Spotting dead Falmer was enough to get me to grind Illusion up three levels using Muffle (about 10 consecutive casts) to level 50 so I could use Frenzy. Shortly after, I gave Alis a title: the Puppet Master.

I knew what Frenzy would do, but I hadn't considered how I could use it in conjunction with Calm. My first encounter with a Falmer (aside from the ones that slaughtered me and sent me out of a previous dungeon asap) was with a lone one, which had me wondering how to incorporate Frenzy into the mix. That would just turn them on me.

So, I hit the guy with Calm and walked past him, where I found a second Falmer around the corner. That's who I tagged with Frenzy, and then led him back to his now very mellow buddy, whom he assaulted as I ran past. I sit back and watch the brawl, and slay the victor in a couple of blows.

Later, I do the same to those giant Chorus bugs (which can kill me one on one). The best encounter was with a high level Falmer, who Frenzy would not work on. But it worked on the Stalker and two regular Falmers around him, resulting in a four way brawl. I sit far back and toss spells in as appropriate to keep it going. In the end there's just a Falmer left who I smack down and carry on my way.

I'm now going to take a break from the College quest line (after I return 100 freaking lbs of Dwarven cogs) and advance the main quest. I'm a bit nervous about my strategy for Dragons; I might have to resort to a bit of Conjuration so as to distract them. My combat is good enough that if they get close I can do formidable damage.

Those bandits that were one-shotting me earlier are going to tear their buddies a new one.

I've been sticking to Conjuration and Destruction, mostly. I can kill enemies in two/three hits (like Sabertooths) that took Wulf and Sul a lot more effort.

Thing is, though, I finished the College questline, and I'm not exactly planning on doing anything else with him. I'll probably finish the remaining miscellaneous College quests I have and then mount an assault on the Thalmor embassy or some shit.

Hllchild

Neo Member
wow ghaleon i feel the same way about the leveling system. It goes so fast I had to make a second character much sooner than i anticipated.
  • started with a Wood Elf Thief/Assassin focusing on Archery and daggers and sided with the Stormcloaks cuz the Thalmor are jerks.
  • then went with a Redguard Crusader(thanks Beth for giving Redgaurds some kind of magic finally) FOcusing on Resto/Alteration with shield, one-handed and Heavy Armor. he just outlasts all enemies.
  • Third im going full mage and see how that goes with the other scholls of magic i havent touched yet

Blackdelve Reach reminds me of the type of uniqueness that Morrowind had for me. A place that is so strange and beautiful that you lose 100+ hours to it.

Thanks for those tips with frenzy and calm now i know what to do with my Altmer pure mage.

Esch

Banned
I'm on my third character. Went from a dualwielding stealth/warrior, to a stealth archer, to a tank orc this time. I'm actually really enjoying being a tank. for some reason im finding it much harder.

What's the quickest way to reach major cities? Aren't there horse carraiges that will fast travel if you haven't discovered them? Those are at the stables, right?

lil smoke

Banned
Leveling system is slow, I feel.

But the game is very very long and deep, so it makes sense.

You can grind it if you want but I feel like it is perfectly possible to just play the game and progress by being a "normal dude" in Skyrim without any grinding and doing ridiculous unfun grinding to pwn the game. I am just playing ignorant and know that by the end I will have leveled to where I need to be to maintain competition and feel like I can run things where and when I need to.

Just because the majority is spending weeks sitting at grindstones and grading daggers doesn't mean that those things are necessary to play the game right. Those same guys end up complaining that the game is broken or too easy. Just play naturally, don't worry about levels, and the game is perfect. You will be at the correct level when you need to be if you don't force things or "know too much" about the "game" while playing it. In other words, role play it. Don't feel that you must overpower the game because others have grinded their time to do so.

I haven't touched the game in two days, so maybe that's what I'm feeling. It's taken me forever to reach level 13 (more than 20 hours).

Then again, I am a noob.

Top Bottom