• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've managed to level it using the stone flesh spell. It levels when the spell is active and enemies are around, so you just need to cast it before combat. Still taking awhile, but I'm at about 65-70 I think in alt at this point.

worst mage skill to level for me is alchemy, it is just so tedious blah. Anyone ever combine giants toe + wheat + river betty ? good resale value!
Does anyone know if leveling Alteration is even worth it? How does it hold up to physical armor?

GhaleonEB

Arg. Going back to the main quest, the first guys inside the place where the Horn is located* are high enough level to be resistant to Frenzy. I spent the past three days working on getting Illusion high enough to cast it, and get back to that quest. So I need to bail out and get Illusion to level 70 before I can (hopefully) use it on the second dungeon in the main quest.

My character has to have their main magic school nearly fully leveled before it's viable that early in the main quest. That's just dumb.

Back to the quests needed to buy the house in Markarth. :\
I haven't touched the game in two days, so maybe that's what I'm feeling. It's taken me forever to reach level 13 (more than 20 hours).

Then again, I am a noob.

It depends entirely on what you've done in those 20 hours, and what skills you use. Leveling speed can vary widely. On my first character I plunged into several long dungeons right away and walked out something like level 10, on the first day.

Sharp

I haven't touched the game in two days, so maybe that's what I'm feeling. It's taken me forever to reach level 13 (more than 20 hours).

Then again, I am a noob.
Took me 50 hours.
Does anyone know if leveling Alteration is even worth it? How does it hold up to physical armor?
Dragonhide is equivalent to wearing the best physical armor in the game. It's definitely worth it. Plus you get great secondary spells like the Detect Life/Death (the latter is surprisingly useful for finding corpses after a battle), telekinesis, waterbreathing and paralysis.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I fixed the Bethesda Christmas Card.

MerryBugmas.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm still undecided if :

I should explore the rest of the caves/dungeons/ruins that are left on my ~130 hours lvl 72 Imperial maxed in two handed, archery, enchanting, smithing, alchemy, illusion, speech, pickpocket, sneak, lockpick and heavy armor and now training into one handed, block, light armor, restoration while wasting magicka for conjuration/alteration/destruction when i feel like it...that have no more interesting quests left

OR

Simply start a new character as a mage or dual wielding sneaky thief and see the Stormcloak side.

OR

Take my lvl 72 and kill every single npcs in the cities and villages and stop playing this game for good.

TTG

I don't think the leveling is slow, up to a point. I'm at 44 now and I can see the way to 50 is going to be slow and I might rely on training and maybe even grinding to get there. I made the switch from 1 handed/block to archery/sneaky a while back and it's still slow.

Needing to level up skills that are already relatively high is fine, but there's the added effect of having already cleared a whole bunch of dungeons. That means I'm fast traveling a lot and I never really wonder off to unexplored areas... because there aren't many interesting ones left. We'll see how it goes, but I'm thinking there's gonna be more iron dagger spamming and going deep into some 90k+ I'm carrying for training.

painey

so I just got the game for Christmas and i'm wondering who to side with in the war? I don't know how different they are, but would much rather do one that has fewer dungeons if that exists.. I fucking hate dungeons in Elder Scrolls games.

oatmeal

Banned
My bro and I were out shopping and we picked up Oblivion due to some minor nostalgia flashbacks. He wanted Skyrim, but he only has a PS3...so I said just get Oblivion. He doesn't really play games anyways.

Anyhoo...I'm still interested in Skyrim, and I have to wonder...how does it play compared to Oblivion? I know the animation is improved a bit, the combat has a L/R arm system, but does it have the same progression?

And most importantly, does it level every enemy with you? That is the number 1 killer of Oblivion for me.

There's no danger in exploring.

++ The world of Skyrim is crafted beautifully, gigantic in scale and ambition. The towns, mountains, rivers and forests bring cohesion and meaning. A minor nuisance is the use of color, the palette is one dimensional
+ Battle themed music sets in especially during encounters with dragons. It has a nice adventurous feeling to it and it enhances the dragon slaying. I haven’t been impressed by the rest of the sounstrack though
+ The world is massive and so is the care put into the people that populate Skyrim. Too bad Bethesda didn't hire a few more voice actors to make the voices more variable and distinctive
+ The battle system has improved upon the nightmare that was Oblivion and Fallout. The animation is weighty, cohesive and even visceral. Shooting arrows is fun in itself and up close death animations are nice
+ Sneaking is immensely improved, although there is often a disconnection between getting caught by seemingly ultra aware npc's and in other times deaf and blind enemy AI. The skill is usable though this time
+ This time the world can be called massive: dungeons are visually distinctive and designed with some care. In one dungeon I even experienced a handsomely designed boss fight, who would have thought

- Too bad the improved battle system didn't go with improved enemy and companion AI. The AI in their hyper aggressive mode often can't negotiate simple terrain like stairs and they get stuck on invisible terrain
- Difficulty spikes are numorous. Bethesda still haven't been able to master this. You are able to cruise with ease for 5 hours, till you hit a commoner that can zap you in 2 hits in not more than 3 seconds
- The reason Bethesda gives you the ability to toggle between master and hard difficulty on the fly is a showing of weakness and a lack of confidence in crafting cohesion in challenge and balance
- The code still sucks. Oblivion killed my pc, and every 5 hours or so Skyrim crashes and I have to reboot with my fingers crossed. Losing companions through bad quest overlapping is almost game breaking
- Is there a story to be told here? If so, with already 50 hours of playtime I really don’t care to find out. Bethesda have to cope with how to balance quantity and quality? No character has a memorable appearance to me

7/10, made the goty list, but it ain't goty.

Then again, I am a noob.
The way Elder Scrolls work is you level a specific skill as you use it, which in turns bumps up your master/character level. It's not like most RPGs where killing enemy Y will net you X exp. points. If you only ever use a small number of the skills, you will level slower as those skills peak out towards the max 100.

The key to levelling quicker is to use a variety of skills. Try wearing pieces of both light and heavy armour, so that whenever you get hit, it levels both these skills. When you go into towns, hit up the shops and sell loot and buy alchemy ingredients - this levels speechcraft, and you can then use the ingredients to level alchemy. Enchant your loot before selling it, will also level Enchanting. When you're just walking along, cast spells like Magelight, this will increase your Alteration skill, and so forth.

It's not so much about the level that you are, it's the skill perks you want to get from levelling up. Level up skills = level up character = spend perk points.

I'm experiencing lot of dissonance in Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game, but, even though I recognise the difficulty in doing this, there's a lot of things wrong in the personal narrative of your character.

1) Factions have absolutely no rules governing how they treat you. You don't really make enemies of one faction by joining another. You can join the Dark Brotherhood and still run errands for Mara, the Goddess of Love. Join the stormcloaks and assault an Imperial city? You're the goddamn dragonborn, everyone would know you were involved, so why can I stroll into solitude without a disguise and no one mention a thing?

2) You're the goddamn dragonborn, huge news like that will travel ridiculously fast, why are there so many people who seem completely oblivious to this fact? People should be treating you like a god, not a peasant.

3) There are no significant and realistic consequences to your actions! If you choose to complete a quest which negatively affects a region or a person they don't really seem to react to it most of the time. I think only a few times this has happened with a few quests. Most of the time it's ignored.

The game would be so much better if it fixed these issues.

NBtoaster

I'm experiencing lot of dissonance in Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game, but, even though I recognise the difficulty in doing this, there's a lot of things wrong in the personal narrative of your character.

1) Factions have absolutely no rules governing how they treat you. You don't really make enemies of one faction by joining another. You can join the Dark Brotherhood and still run errands for Mara, the Goddess of Love. Join the stormcloaks and assault an Imperial city? You're the goddamn dragonborn, everyone would know you were involved, so why can I stroll into solitude without a disguise and no one mention a thing?

2) You're the goddamn dragonborn, huge news like that will travel ridiculously fast, why are there so many people who seem completely oblivious to this fact? People should be treating you like a god, not a peasant.

3) There are no significant and realistic consequences to your actions! If you choose to complete a quest which negatively affects a region or a person they don't really seem to react to it most of the time. I think only a few times this has happened with a few quests. Most of the time it's ignored.

Yeah that is jarring. Especially with the Dark Brotherhood quests.

But being locked out of areas? Don't know about that. But there should me more aftermath than just a guard mentioning them.

All of the guard uniforms are acquirable, disguises a la Hitman please :)

The game may not acknowledge it, but I've completed many a quest for the Dark Brotherhood while disguised as a guardsman or a random passerby.

That's why Bethesda should make factions more like in Morrowind. In Morrowind for instance, you couldn't join the Fighters Guild and the Thieves Guild, because of a feud going on between the two factions. Also, your advancement in a faction wasn't solely based on how many quests you finish, but also on how far you had progressed with certain skills used by that faction.
That. A thousand times that.

That is why I'm playing through each faction line with another character. No dissonances for me! At least, not many.

CloudWolf

That's why Bethesda should make factions more like in Morrowind. In Morrowind for instance, you couldn't join the Fighters Guild and the Thieves Guild, because of a feud going on between the two factions. Also, your advancement in a faction wasn't solely based on how many quests you finish, but also on how far you had progressed with certain skills used by that faction. It's crazy that in Oblivion and Skyrim you can literally become the leader of every faction in the province (and in Oblivion you could even become the leader of the mages guild without ever using magic).

Yeah I loved that about Morrowind. Actually Morrowind did so many things better than Skyrim it's not even funny. Even if you could kill the end boss in a few minutes :D

Actually I'd say that's still a plus lol

ParityBit

So last night I got a bug in the Companion quest like for the quest "Purity of Revenge" It appears there is no way I can continue on the quest line that I can tell. Has anyone else run into this bug where Vilkus does not give you the quest? Is there any way to fix it? I am on the 360.

Which house do you guys use?

Up to now I've used Whiterun for convenience. I wanted to use Markarth as my base, but the house is kind of underwhelming inside. Solitude is the nicest, but Riften is also functional and close to the fast travel spawn point.

On another note, I do agree with the general attitude that there should be greater consequences of joining the factions. I do want to do everything in the game though - maybe speechcraft could be used to bridge the gap? I 'role play' that my murdering thief bastard character goes incognito in town as a standup chap and all-round hero, but they could use the persuade and intimidate functions to work this kind of thing in the game, so if someone crosses your path in different faction questlines you could bribe/intimidate/charm them into keeping quiet about it - then their attitude to you could change from fauning to frosty or vice versa.

I used whiterun most of the time, but I like the Markarth one the best. Only had Solitude, Markarth, and Whiterun so far though. Wasn't a fan of the aesthetics of the Solitude house.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I don't think the leveling is slow, up to a point. I'm at 44 now and I can see the way to 50 is going to be slow and I might rely on training and maybe even grinding to get there. I made the switch from 1 handed/block to archery/sneaky a while back and it's still slow.

Needing to level up skills that are already relatively high is fine, but there's the added effect of having already cleared a whole bunch of dungeons. That means I'm fast traveling a lot and I never really wonder off to unexplored areas... because there aren't many interesting ones left. We'll see how it goes, but I'm thinking there's gonna be more iron dagger spamming and going deep into some 90k+ I'm carrying for training.
This is my predicament as well. I'm level 45, and have pretty much explored most of Skyrim. Since the skills & schools of magic I use the most often are maxed out, leveling has slowed to a crawl.

Normally, I'd say the DLC could not come soon enough; however being a PS3 user...

Since way before the release. The guys at Bethesda were saying at the game's unveiling something along the lines that the player could impact the economy of a town or village even controlling some of its resources. Can you do something like that?

ParityBit

So last night I got a bug in the Companion quest like for the quest "Purity of Revenge" It appears there is no way I can continue on the quest line that I can tell. Has anyone else run into this bug where Vilkus does not give you the quest? Is there any way to fix it? I am on the 360.

I actually did some searching online and I was able to fix this. If anyone is wonder what you do is WAIT for 32 days before entering the Companions house. When I did this I was able to get the quest.

Pirabear

Banned
Omotesando said:
- Is there a story to be told here? If so, with already 50 hours of playtime I really don’t care to find out. Bethesda have to cope with how to balance quantity and quality? No character has a memorable appearance to me

This is definitely my main problem with Skyrim. Love the exploration, but I honestly just skim through the NPC dialogue and just follow the quest notes. And what's the deal with every NPC responding to you in a condescending or hostile manner? I contemplate why Skyrim is worth saving when everyone is a douchebag.

daedalius

Getting crushed randomly by some common enemies when in full exquisite dwarven armor is pretty awesome. Random difficulty spikes are apparently very random.

Still played the game for like 12 hours straight on Sunday, pretty awesome so far; except for those few annoyances. Got so frustrated on one 'boss' that I had to turn the difficulty down to even progress, nothing like fighting 4 unarmored humans at the same time but getting annihilated.

Danny 117

Oh. My. God. I'm in the most amazing random encounter I have ever experienced in a Bethesda game. I'm on my way to the far west of Skyrim when I come across a Blood Dragon. Oh shit I thought, then a giant appears.. that's not all.. then a normal dragon appears and the two dragons give the giant hell whilst me and my follower take shots at the dragons.
Pity I keep dying but it's truly epic to come across something like this.

Does anyone have any tips for beating 2 dragons at once? What's the blood and normal dragon weaknesses? I'm level 13 and have mainly been levelling my 2 handed skill. I do have an electric/fire spell and an 'Imperial bow'. I know melee is not recommended. What should I do?

soldat7

Why the $&@&! do I lose all the items I pilfered in other cities when caught stealing? I just lost a bunch of loot that I stole at the beginning of the game. Dumb.

And what is the deal with these shadows on 360? They're shimmery and glitchy as heck.

ultron87

I got killed in the tutorial dungeon. The spiders killed me in approximately three seconds.

Apparently I've been secretly bad at videogames all these years.

The game may not acknowledge it, but I've completed many a quest for the Dark Brotherhood while disguised as a guardsman or a random passerby.
So I'm
infiltrating the Thalmor Embassy
and figure that by equipping one of their robes, I can roleplay that I'm "blending in with them". I didn't actually expect it to work, either, I was just doing it for fun. Then I step outside and everyone's friendly with me - they can see me hopping up and down in the distance, but they do nothing. In my robes, I walk past the guards with impunity. That said, if I draw too close, they start to recognize you're not a Thalmor and attack.

It was crazy - that tactic wasn't even suggested by quest givers as an option that would work, it was something the player just has to try themselves. I did it with an Altmer characters - I wonder if it would even work with others?

So I'm
infiltrating the Thalmor Embassy
and figure that by equipping one of their robes, I can roleplay that I'm "blending in with them". I didn't actually expect it to work, either, I was just doing it for fun. Then I step outside and everyone's friendly with me - they can see me hopping up and down in the distance, but they do nothing. In my robes, I walk past the guards with impunity. That said, if I draw too close, they start to recognize you're not a Thalmor and attack.

It was crazy - that tactic wasn't even suggested by quest givers as an option that would work, it was something the player just has to try themselves. I did it with an Altmer characters - I wonder if it would even work with others?

I'm pretty sure your experience would not be any different if you were wearing a full suit of armour.

I did read on one of the wiki's that wearing Thalmor clothes works that way, but yeah I don't think anyone in game suggests that to you - maybe they should've since it would be more stealthy than just blasting your way through!

CloudWolf

A strange thing happened in Solitude while on a DB quest, I just got done
killing the fake emperor
and I got caught afterwards by a guard. No big deal, I just paid the fine and since I had no stolen goods, I was good to go. However, when the courtyard loaded I noticed three dead bodies just lying there; two Penitus Oculatus guards and Captain Aldis. How did that happen? Haha

GhaleonEB

I used whiterun most of the time, but I like the Markarth one the best. Only had Solitude, Markarth, and Whiterun so far though. Wasn't a fan of the aesthetics of the Solitude house.
Likewise. Solitude's house is big, but it feels like a dungeon. And the contents are not better than Markarth's, which is both more pleasing to the eye and more compact. Much better bang for the buck.

That's why Bethesda should make factions more like in Morrowind. In Morrowind for instance, you couldn't join the Fighters Guild and the Thieves Guild, because of a feud going on between the two factions. Also, your advancement in a faction wasn't solely based on how many quests you finish, but also on how far you had progressed with certain skills used by that faction. It's crazy that in Oblivion and Skyrim you can literally become the leader of every faction in the province (and in Oblivion you could even become the leader of the mages guild without ever using magic).
This would be wonderful. I really wish they would return some restrictions to the guilds, as a way of creating more consequence to our actions.
That is why I'm playing through each faction line with another character. No dissonances for me! At least, not many.
On this subject, I think the biggest opportunity for Bethesda to have shown consequences for our actions was in the Civil War quest line. As the war progresses, we play a larger and larger hand in it, tipping the outcome. At least with the Stormcloak side, I'm given a series of titles for my deeds. As my fame as a war hero grew, I should have been less and less welcome in hostile territory. Wanted posters should go up in Imperial cities, and their guards should attack on sight - until we take over that territory as the war progresses.

There's no reason the guy who helped take down Whiterun should be marching free down the streets of Solitude chatting it up with the guards. Access to the cities should at first restrict, and then open back up as the quest line progressed. I understand Bethesda's efforts around making the game more accessible in terms of the factions not conflicting (I understand, but disagree), but in this case it really got absurd. Having hostile guards in enemy territory would have both made us aware of how famous our deeds had become, and made the consequences of our fame felt.

Esch

Banned
Bethsoft really need to provide better incentive for endgame players. The daedric quests are nice and some of them drop good loot, but there needs to be some more powerful unique loot available to the player. I can only hope mods will change this, but seriously you can't have the most powerful gear in the game essentially be something you can make. That's just sort of weak given how easily you can grind the skill.

On this subject, I think the biggest opportunity for Bethesda to have shown consequences for our actions was in the Civil War quest line. As the war progresses, we play a larger and larger hand in it, tipping the outcome. At least with the Stormcloak side, I'm given a series of titles for my deeds. As my fame as a war hero grew, I should have been less and less welcome in hostile territory. Wanted posters should go up in Imperial cities, and their guards should attack on sight - until we take over that territory as the war progresses.

There's no reason the guy who helped take down Whiterun should be marching free down the streets of Solitude chatting it up with the guards. Access to the cities should at first restrict, and then open back up as the quest line progressed. I understand Bethesda's efforts around making the game more accessible in terms of the factions not conflicting (I understand, but disagree), but in this case it really got absurd. Having hostile guards in enemy territory would have both made us aware of how famous our deeds had become, and made the consequences of our fame felt.

The civil war is basically Oblivion gate new redux. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and its hard to disagree.

Window

So I remember reading about a headless horseman in one of the previews. Still haven't seen him at level 47. Is he still in the game?

Karl2177

Arggg. I'm having a frustrating time with this game this morning. My arrows go about a foot, and then they instantly drop. It all happened after I switched my control scheme around a bit and went from Adept to Apprentice. Now every enemy 1 shots me, my weapons do nothing and spell casting lasts a second before it dies off.

Yes! But only if you
do her DB quest and complete both objectives she gives you
. A DB-only spouse.

I think I can also get a special ring from her as well. I killed the person she wanted me to before I even saw her. After that all communication with her is dead. No additional quests or possibility of marriage.

Aurora

Overall I definitely think Oblivion is the superior game. I haven't completed Skyrim in its entirety yet so I'll wait before giving my full impressions, but yeah, I'd say I was a little disappointed even though this game is great.

TTG

1. I think the "dumbing down" of Elder Scrolls games gets blown way out of proportion, but this is one area where it shows up. It's not like Bethesda haven't thought of this, it was in Morrowind with the houses(another type of guild). You could join all of them, but at a specific point you had to choose which side to take as the conflict between them grew. The thing is, if you do that and make whole cities inaccessible, people will complain. Getting all the trophies is important to people and so is basically failing to complete certain quests. What if there are quests that are a part of other major quest lines? Are you gonna suspend the main quest for a player because he's joined up in the civil war and Solitude is off limits? In that case there's no way to go back if you decide to drop the civil war bullshit, you have to start a new game or spend hours mowing down random soldiers at forts. So, competing guilds would be fine, locking out areas of the world, not so much.

2. This kind of continuity goes out the window the minute you decide to run down to the blacksmith to fetch a sword for a companion so that you can maybe join their little club... instead of saving the world from dragons. No easy solutions on how to deal with that stuff.

3. You make drastic changes to the guilds the further you get and there's a ton of dialogue for the little stuff. Were you expecting more Megaton moments?

I don't mean to sound like a Skyrim apologist, just feels like there are other issues that may be easier to solve. I'll write something down later as far as flaws go, like why is it that the imperial army consists of 8 people?

So I decided on a suitor, Argis the Bulwark, housecarl of Markarth, but before I took the plunge and went to the shrine in Riften, I thought I'd take him out on the town to see how he handles himself. Did a bit of dungeon-crawling in one of the Dwemer ruins and wow, he's pretty strong! Took out all the bandits in the first section before I even had a chance to draw my bow! Most of the time I prefer solo-adventuring, but I found him quite handy.

It was a toss-up between him and the blacksmith in Riften, but I think Argis is my man <3

Edit: in the interests of role-playing, I've decided to marry the blacksmith, have him live at my home in Riften, and keep Argis as my adventuring fuck-buddy on the side, who I keep in the life of luxury in Markarth. I'm a Wood Elf Sugar Daddy.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
i wish skyrim had some Throwing weapons like a axe or a spear it would have usefull in certain situations when you are out of arrows.

Agreed. The Lusty Argonian Maid makes no sense considering there are no spears in Oblivion or Skyrim.

Also, why the hell is there still no horseback combat? Spears would definitely be useful here.

lil smoke

Banned
It does seem that the game requires you to input some personal imagination in order to make your story make sense. If you take the game as it is as literal, it's kinda silly. If you role play and create your own conclusions, it then becomes very interesting.

GhaleonEB

Forbidden Legends was a great journey with a horrible destination. I was delighted to see you can trigger it a number of different ways. I hadn't found the book at the time the College quest took me to the first dungeon, so the start was very different and played out in a different order. Neato.

The map marker was glitched, telling me to enter a tower near the cave entrance, which led to me running in circles for 10 minutes. I had to look up the proper location and then check the two nearby caves to find it.

Then, the boss fights. The entire concept of fighting the same three bosses over again should never, ever be used. Ever.

Couple that with their execution: a small arena pit to fight in. Only a couple of specific builds are ideally suited to this kind of combat, and mine sure wasn't one of them. If I hadn't taken down my first random dragon on the way there, unlocking Ice Form, I would have had no shot.

Running in circles while eight(!!!) Daugr Thralls pop out of the walls was less than fun. It became a game of memorization: the dude with the ice spell pops out here, after I kill one Thrall. Then the second pops out there, after I kill four. And so on.

The first form takes 20 minutes and about a dozen deaths to get through.

The second form uses level 3 Unrelenting Force right away, and I get knocked behind one of the pots along the walls. When I stand up I'm fused to the geometry. Reload. (I'd saved after the first boss, thank goodness.)

The next time he hits me with Unrelenting Force, I'm also simultaneously disarmed. Other than my pickaxe, the axe is the only weapon I have and I can't find it before I'm killed.

The third time I'm plastered up against a wall, and then four arrows land home from his clones before I complete my standing up animation, killing me.

20 minutes later, I cheese my way through him.

Third boss, magic so powerful I resort to using Ice Form, smacking him three times, then running circles around the room until Ice Form is recharged again. After 10 minutes of this, I get a lucky break: as I hit him while he's frozen, he teleports. When he reappears, he's still laying down, and doesn't get up. So I can beat him death while he lays there.

Then, at long last - the amulet is reforged. Huzzah! What kind of powerful, mystical effects does this amulet, which I completed four dungeons to assemble, grant me?

It increases my health, stamina and magika by 30 points.

WHAT THE FUCK

Great quest, piecing the story together, finding the artifact fragments; a wonderful world-trotting side quest to stumble upon. Horrific ending and loot.

Top Bottom