• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

So I have so much crap to sell usually, and I can barely find anywhere to sell it. All of the vendors constantly only have 750 gold, and how am I supposed to sell a legendary daedric armor if they only have that much? Not to mention all the other stuff I get all of the time.

Is there a good place to always sell stuff? I want everything for my new house in Solitude!
Like Blue Ninja says, it's well worth investing the perk points in Speechcraft all the way to the top of the tree (the left branch I think, the right branch is for intimidating and stuff) - Vendors I've invested in now have ~2500, some even more. It's really worth it, and you can usually unload everything you have on you to sell in one trip through a town like Whiterun where there are 5 or 6 shopkeepers to sell to. All the perks mean you can sell any type of item to any vendor, including stuff that's hot.

I'm rockin' over a half million in gold with nothing to do with it, bought all the houses, so maybe it breaks the money system a little, lol. (I still pick up every piece of gold I see sitting on table tops, can't help it - see gold, must steal)

Forkball

I beat the Thieves' Guild quest. Pretty interesting, but the Companions quest had a better story with more interesting characters. The reward was great though, I chose
the shout that makes people fight
. I'm not sure how useful it is, but it does lead to fun moments like this:

CF1977638E89F311979254892F287F947BA0CC2E

lil smoke

Banned
Struggling with whether to start a new character. Only at L37, have done mainly side quests, have about 40K gold to spend, so much left on the list to do.

I'd be able to play so much more efficiently the 2nd time around. My current character has gotten way out of hand, trying to be jack of all trades; but trying to switch disciplines on the fly has gotten cumbersome, my items list has is crazy since I need rings, necklaces, different apparel for every play type depending on the enemy or location. It's just too much. Actually I think the items list method, including the quick selection list are the worse design aspect of the game.

Thinking of a much more restricted guy. Was thinking of making sort of a sneaky black cat that focuses on theft, backstabbing, and pure evil when she is politically able. It is too bad speech is so unused in this game as opposed to F:NV where you could lie/talk your way out of combat and other things for a completely different game experience. Seems like in Skyrim, persuasion is rarely needed, speech is really just for barter.

You haven't heard about the bug that makes the PS3 version slow down to a crawl when the savegame reaches a certain size? That one's definitely not there in the 360 and PC version, at least not to such an extreme extent.

I can imagine you not experiencing it, you create more characters than I do.

Could be. If the issue's still there (I thought 1.2 fixed it nicely), I haven't played any one of my characters long enough, post-1.2, to experience it. Longest save file's probably about 64 hours, 10MB, with no noticeable slowdown. I'm not one of those that says "If it's not happening to me, it's not happening", because it totally happened to me before 1.2. Are any other PS3 players still have the issues after 1.2?

GhaleonEB

Invest in Speech. There's two (or three, not sure) perks that increase the money stores have available. One through investment, one just because.

You'll need to do the College questline as well, you can't enter
the Labyrinthian
until you receive that item from Savos Aren. You can find the other seven masks in normal exploration, but not that one. Pissed me off while I was collecting 'em with Wulf. It'll piss me off with Wulf 2.0., too.

Yeah, I realized that but forgot to mention it. But I won't mind, as the quest line is brief and good quality. Great dungeons.

I'm going to spin up another character to gather those 24 stones, though I think I have to go through multiple quest lines to get them.

Yeah, I realized that but forgot to mention it. But I won't mind, as the quest line is brief and good quality. Great dungeons.

I'm going to spin up another character to gather those 24 stones, though I think I have to go through multiple quest lines to get them.

Really wondering what I'm going to do about those stones - I'm not one for making characters that does anything and everything. If I join a guild, I tend to only join the one because the notion of leadership in every guild in Skyrim is sort of absurd to me. Have the same issue with shouts and dragon priest masks - I may never collect them all because I'll never have a character that does everything.

Really wondering what I'm going to do about those stones - I'm not one for making characters that does anything and everything. If I join a guild, I tend to only join the one because the notion of leadership in every guild in Skyrim is sort of absurd to me. Have the same issue with shouts and dragon priest masks - I may never collect them all because I'll never have a character that does everything.

Same here. I just said "fuck it".

CloudWolf

Hey guys, I have a question. A while back I cleared out a random bandit fort which just so happened to have a misc quest where a guy was looking for his lost wife.
The wife turned out to be the leader of the rebels and I decided to help her. After that she said she would come to my aid some time later. My question: Does she actually do this or is it just a random piece of dialogue?

Danny 117

I really want to start being a Mage but need some tips on where to start. I'm level 19 atm. Should I try to join the Mages Guild or something?

RPGCrazied

So, I'm loving it. Killed the first dragon, got a shout. One thing. Does anyone else get flickering mountains when moving? It's not all of them, just the ones that face the tower you met the first dragon. Everything is at max, except shadows, its at high. PC version by the way.

Anteater

Decided to play the game for 20mins before sleep, loads the game, sold a few things, travel to a town, killed a dragon, game freezes, progress lost, time to sleep!

and fuck you bethesda! Fix this shit!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just had an awesome moment. Doing College of Winterhold... fighing Morokei. Shit was epic. With two lightning blasts I was down so I used slow time, meleed him as much as I could, shield bashed at the end, hid, healed while keeping out of line of sight, save, repeat... for 15 minutes. Finally took him down. Take that motherfucker!

May tackle the main quest right now... last time I remember Alduin told me I was a pussy for not knowing his language :p. I think the next mission is Diplomatic something, how much more do I have for the main quest? Also

what's this
Nightinggales
thing I read? :p!

Could be. If the issue's still there (I thought 1.2 fixed it nicely), I haven't played any one of my characters long enough, post-1.2, to experience it. Longest save file's probably about 64 hours, 10MB, with no noticeable slowdown. I'm not one of those that says "If it's not happening to me, it's not happening", because it totally happened to me before 1.2. Are any other PS3 players still have the issues after 1.2?
My save file is about 16mb, all patches up to date, it dropped about 2MB after I patched.

I still get slow down, but only after prolonged play. 4-5 hours is the limit. Reseting puts it back to how it was originally, but I've usually had enough by then any way. Up to about the 4 hour point, it plays much how I remember Oblivion and Fallout playing on the 360, i.e. not as good as a PC.

Turning off auto-save, especially 'autosave on menu' (the only one I've turned off) helps a lot. I think people who are experiences regular crashes and prolonged 0-frame slowdown are not telling the whole story - maybe they haven't turned off auto-save and are playing for long times. I certainly don't experience lag and crippling slowdown for the first few hours of play.

The patch has definely not solved the problem, but it has helped, just a little I think.

Sai-kun

Banned

I've only played one character, and in my time of playing, I've found 10 stones through just doing quests and happening to find them in dungeons or in people's houses or whatever.

Uhm. Not entirely your fault, but I wish you had informed everyone what your spoiler tag was about. Hrm! I only completed the quest
where I leave him in that area. Does he come back sometime?

You helped him? I
killed him and skinned him

And yeah, you need to do a few questlines to get those stones. One of them's in a place you can only access later on in the College questline.

Satch

Banned
Being a Nord and fighting a Frost Dragon is probably the best thing for me.

Since Nords have Frost Resistance, I just stand in their frost blast with no shield or enchanted armor and it hardly does anything. I bet it tickles!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Being a Nord and fighting a Frost Dragon is probably the best thing for me.

Since Nords have Frost Resistance, I just stand in their frost blast with no shield or enchanted armor and it hardly does anything. I bet it tickles!

As a Dark Elf I usually have an easy time against dragons, but facing my first Frost one made things change haha

GhaleonEB

I've only played one character, and in my time of playing, I've found 10 stones through just doing quests and happening to find them in dungeons or in people's houses or whatever.

My character that had 166 hours had found a dozen, or one half of them. But she had only done the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines. I can't actually think of any that were locked away, but rather in places you came across during those quests. Maybe they were locked away. I'll probably hit up the wiki to see what quest lines I need to complete (not to see where they are, but what content I need to go through).

I ran into an interesting bug doing Bleak Falls Barrow this morning. The 'puzzle' with the three rotating pillars was set so all of them were showing the same image (an eagle, IIRC), and I couldn't interact with them. I thought I was hosed, but exiting the dungeon and entering again re-jumbled them.

soldat7

So is there like a healing companion or anything?

I wish I could tell Lydia to stand back and shoot stuff with her bow all the time so she wouldn't get in my way.

I think I'm gonna give up on companions. They're idiots and I can't equip them with what I want.

What makes enchanting really cool vs smithing is you also have to go out and harvest some souls. You'll need a weapon with the soul trap enchantment(which you can also disenchant obviously), keep it around so that you can use it for your killing blow. You also need some soul gems, grand or black are obviously best. Black is for human souls, grand for creatures. Finally, all soul gems are destroyed when you enchant something, UNLESS it's a special soul gem(look into the Azura Star quest). So, the plan is to kill the toughest thing around, capturing its soul in the process. :D

This is so incredibly tedious. I don't even bother with enchanting anymore. I want a weapon that just does fire damage and don't want to have to go out of my way to recharge it.

Satch

Banned
I think I'm gonna give up on companions. They're idiots and I can't equip them with what I want.

Go to Riften and get Marcurio. He's a powerful destruction mage and really good at staying out of the way.

And you should be able to equip them with stuff. Not sure what the deal is there.

GhaleonEB

This is so incredibly tedious. I don't even bother with enchanting anymore. I want a weapon that just does fire damage and don't want to have to go out of my way to recharge it.

I've never used Soul Trap. I just spend the coin on a filled grand soul gem from the local shops before I head out on a long quest. In all my characters, I've never been in a situation where I've run out of charge. Shops and found gems kept them full.

Soul Trap seems superfluous to me in Skyrim for that reason.

soldat7

Go to Riften and get Marcurio. He's a powerful destruction mage and really good at staying out of the way.

And you should be able to equip them with stuff. Not sure what the deal is there.

Thanks. I'll give him a shot. Would complement my warrior quite well actually.

None of the characters I've had so far will wear what I want them to. They will only wield the highest damage weapon. If I want Lydia to have a one-handed sword and shield, for example, and I give her a silver great sword to carry for me, she'll equip the great sword. Very annoying and I guess I shouldn't care.

I've never used Soul Trap. I just spend the coin on a filled grand soul gem from the local shops before I head out on a long quest. In all my characters, I've never been in a situation where I've run out of charge. Shops and found gems kept them full.

Soul Trap seems superfluous to me in Skyrim for that reason.

Maybe I'm frustrated because I'm still low-level. I'll keep that in mind.

Danny 117

I have him and he's amazing. I had him, barbas and a war dog for a while but barbas drove me crazy :O

besiktas1

Just finished the main story. Amazing amazing game. 16hrs in and I feel I havent even scratched the surface.

I want to now learn inadvisability and go around messing with people. How?

Volimar

I have him and he's amazing. I had him, barbas and a war dog for a while but barbas drove me crazy :O

I had a scruffy dog that was following me around, but when a dragon appeared, the brave little thing died trying to help me kill it. I turned the dragon bones and scales into my enchanted "Helm of Canis Major".

Just finished the main story. Amazing amazing game. 16hrs in and I feel I havent even scratched the surface.

I want to now learn inadvisability and go around messing with people. How?

If you mean invisibility, it wears off if you take any meaningful action while invisible, so you can't really mess with people.

NBtoaster

Uhm. Not entirely your fault, but I wish you had informed everyone what your spoiler tag was about. Hrm! I only completed the quest
where I leave him in that area. Does he come back sometime?

I was talking about the events of that quest.
Where you can choose to help him.

Aurora

TTG said:
What makes enchanting really cool vs smithing is you also have to go out and harvest some souls. You'll need a weapon with the soul trap enchantment(which you can also disenchant obviously), keep it around so that you can use it for your killing blow. You also need some soul gems, grand or black are obviously best. Black is for human souls, grand for creatures. Finally, all soul gems are destroyed when you enchant something, UNLESS it's a special soul gem(look into the Azura Star quest). So, the plan is to kill the toughest thing around, capturing its soul in the process. :D
This is one of the worst aspects of the game for me. It's so mind-numbingly boring and frustrating that I refuse to do it, which in turn means I don't get to use 80% of the weapons in the game. Absolutely horrific design choice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
In my house in Makrath, if I place armors on the mannequin his body just becomes invisible. What's up with that?

This is one of the worst aspects of the game for me. It's so mind-numbingly boring and frustrating that I refuse to do it, which in turn means I don't get to use 80% of the weapons in the game. Absolutely horrific design choice.

It's a great way to balance out the stronger weapons in the game. If you want to use 'em, you're going to need to keep an eye on its charge. Otherwise, stick to something plain and simple. Hardly seems like a bad design choice, especially when you get to create a weapon that has two enchantments, one of them being Soul Trap. Feels good, man. Feels good.

The whole enchanting/smithing leveling system seems a bit broken, though, and is something I hope they rework for TES VI.

And I just had an amazingly epic dragon fight. Well, an amazingly epic evening, really. Story coming in a bit.

lil smoke

Banned

I agree. In the middle of a battle, I have to stop, go to my long list of crap, pull out my "SOULDAGGER" make sure it's it's got juice, if not, go into another menu, pick appropriate gem, charge it. Run around seeing whose almost dead, or chase my companion around to try to steal the last shot... too much. I'd much rather drink something that lasts 60-120 seconds that automatically just fills up gems. Gladly, I find pretty good pre-enchanted stuff to use, so I don't bother with enchanting anymore. I understand the point of it, I'm just too lazy for tedious stuff, which I why I also don't get involved with any kinds of grinding. If it aint fun, I aint doing it.

Arjen

I have a bow that does soul trap, and seeing that all my bows basicly one shot everyting in sneak i just use that till all my soul gems are filled, hardly have any extra work to do for it at all.

lil smoke

Banned
they can be stubborn. I could have sworn I tried to give my companion arcane, light and heavy choices of protective armor, gave up and let her wear her useless gear. During another Riften/Whiterun "go steal 500 gold worth of goods" I was just stealing anything stuff and unloading it on her. Bit later I turn around and noticed she was wearing some shit iron armor. I am also getting tired of turning around and she is nowhere in sight, not knowing if dead or alive, waiting 2 hours, no show, and just reloading. You're able to squat with me like a mirror image, but you can't just friggin follow me down a straight path? And the conjure frosty for every little creature living, just for it to get in my way and turn against me... argh if only she didn't save my butt so much.

Karl2177

So I just entered Fellglow Keep for the
College of Winterhold quests
, and my frames per second drop down to about 15 frames. I'm gonna try letting my Xbox rest for a bit, but it was a bit of a let down.

Companions can be such idiots. When they're not blocking your path, or repeating the same five lines of dialogue, or running straight into your arrows and dying because it somehow counted as a sneak attack, or running off to attack a dragon or giant while you're staying back and fighting them with ranged attacks, or stepping on traps, or ruining stealth attempts...

Speaking of idiots, had a funny moment where I killed a dragon that was attacking a random Redguard warrior, who, after remarking on how amazing I was, then called me a pussy and challenged me to a fight to the death.

Okay, so I rebooted Wulf yesterday, and called it a day shortly after I finished "Dragon Rising". This evening I resumed playing, still in Whiterun, and I decided to tackle a few bounties to earn some money. I spent the night in the Bannered Mare, slept 'till morning, and then took off towards the north to clear out a bandit camp.

Along the way, I came across my first sabertooth. I remember these fierce beasts being scary as heck when I first started playing, and while they're still tough to fight with a level 10 character, I knew how to handle 'em. A few shield bashes and sword slashes later and I was stripping its pelt. I'd gotten a bit distracted, so I headed back towards the road. There, I found a farm and an old friend... Well, not really a friend, but you know. Dear old Cicero'd gotten stranded near Whiterun when the wheel on his carriage broke. Being such a compassionate soul (and since Wulf didn't know Cicero or who he really was), I convinced the farmer to fix his cart so the jester could be on his way.

Feeling proud of my good deeds, I carried on towards the north. I evaded a few giants on patrol, killed a pack of wolves that didn't much care for my name or the fact that I'm the Goddamn Dovahkiin, found a few poachers who'd taken down a mammoth and weren't willing to share and reached a cave I'd been warned of by an attentive guard... Shimmermist cave. It wasn't my objective, but I knew what lurked within. Throwing all caution to the wind, I headed inside.

The cave certainly earned its name. There was a faint mist obscuring my vision, making everything, well, shimmer before my eyes. While it was very pretty, I was on my guard, advancing slowly through the winding passages of the cavern. And then Wulf met his first Falmer. The vile elf was certainly tougher than anything Wulf had faced in his short time in Skyrim, but all in all, it went down pretty quickly, along with his kin.

Then came the Chaurus. The ugly fuckers gang-raped me if I tried to face them head-on, so instead I lured 'em back and jumped on an elevated spot. By the time I was done with them, they looked more like pin-cushions than deep-delving monstrosities. I felt pretty good about my chances for finishing this dungeon, which I somehow had never cleared in any of my previous playthroughs. Little did I know what waited for me at the end.

As is common with Falmer hideouts, the natural stone walls soon gave way to long-lost Dwemer architecture. I was heading in deeper and deeper, with only minor opposition from our ugly Falmer friends. A door waited for me at the end of a nearly intact Dwemer hallway. Cautiously, I opened it and stepped inside. A Falmer Gloomlurker arose from the shadows to greet me... I engaged, and quickly realized the skulking elf was too powerful for me to handle. I was so pre-occupied fighting it that I didn't notice the loud, clanking footsteps approaching us. The Falmer had awakened a Centurion.

Mind you, I was level 9 or 10. I couldn't handle that Falmer Gloomlurker, let alone an 8-feet tall mechanized monstrosity. I tried pitting the two against eachother, but they both focused on me and me alone. After dying several times, I realized I'd met my match. I popped an invisibility potion and tried sneaking past them, but to no avail, as my heavy armor gave me away. So I did plan B: run like a motherfucker.

Back on the surface world, I healed up and headed for the bandit fort. The outlaws, of course, saw me coming from a mile away, and greeted my approach with a volley of arrows. Luckily for me, they were piss-poor shots. My luck turned, however, when a dragon decided to meddle in my affairs and started attacking. At first, the aerial distraction helped me in slaying the bandits, but then I still had the dragon to deal with. On my own.

I let loose with the bow I looted from the Falmer lair, but my shitty aim didn't help me much there. The dragon seemed more interested in killing wolves and sabertooths for the moment, though, but eventually it turned its attention to me. I was still too weak to handle a dragon at point-blank range and my skills with the bow were nothing to write home about. So I initiated plan B again, and I ran. This time, towards a herd of mammoths that were grazing not too far away. The dragon got distracted by all that lumbering meat, and immediately went after them as I shot some more arrows at it. It quickly learned that mammoths are not to be messed with and lifted off again. It made a few more passes before landing a bit ahead, engaging an enemy I could not yet see. I sprinted forward, my bow still in hand, and reached the top of the hill.

The dragon was fighting mud crabs. Three of them. It tried burning them, but they didn't care. They pinched the motherfucker to death. I shot 'em with my bow, looted their chitin and the dragon's bones, and went the fuck home. I had loot to sell.

SKYRI- Oh shit, a mudcr-

TTG

You don't have the soul gems to CHARGE weapons up? Do you just not go through urns/chests/dead bodies? Because I've never had to soul trap anything to recharge an item, all levels of FILLED soul gems are available to pick up or buy(which I've never had to do). I've also never had to go out with the specific intent of filling up grand/black soul gems to create items, it's something to do while out on quests.

It's not the same as it was in Morrowind where everyone had a unique charge(making hunting for the best souls in the game a challenge) but it's still fun. Who doesn't want to soul trap the emperor for a deadric sword? Or acquire a huge pool of enchantments to really boost your stats or deal out more damage? You can literally double the ratings of different stats depending on what set of custom apparel you enchant. It adds a ton of character to loot that is really limited for a game this huge. You're strange.

GhaleonEB

My epic story:

Treking from the far west across the plains toward Whiterun, 100lbs of ore and furs in tow, I come across three drunken revelers. I share a drink with them (Honningbrew Mead, yummy). I then back up and cast Fury on one of them, starting a three-way drunken brawl. One of them is mostly naked. In the middle of it two mud crabs walk over and join the fight. I hit one of them with Fury and now the mud crabs are fighting while the revelers are punching each other.

I use an arrow to finish off the last mud crab once the fight dies down. It made me irrationally happy.

Also, somehow just noticed the (amusing environmental details that I'll tag just in case)
bridge with the three goats crossing it, and the dead troll underneath
near Markarth. Hilarious.

OMG! I'm doing the Companions Mission now where
you need to kill "The Skinner
, and I am having the hardest time with that dungeon! I finally made it to the boss and I keep getting annihilated!

GhaleonEB

I previously posted that I found a bow that shoots arrows that cause people to catch fire. It's no longer doing that. Why?

Adding to the above comments: You have an enchanted bow. Enchanted weapons have a certain number of uses, after which the enchantment wears off and you need to recharge it. When you look at it in the menu, it has a bar underneath it showing the charge.

Select the weapon from your menu, then press the right bumper. That will show all the filled soul gems you have in inventory. Use the soul gems to recharge the weapon's enchantment.

Think of soul gems as being batteries, and enchanted weapons as toys that use batteries. They run out of juice, and need new gems to recharge.

Top Bottom