• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

TTG

I'll knock out some other stuff then.

Wow if that's true the main quest line is short as all hell.

Yea, especially if you already had
finished the civil war stuff and had the elder scroll ahead of time.
Main quests in Elder Scroll games have a track record of being crap. I think this one had a great premise with the mini boss dragons flying around and the shouts, but they fell short in execution. Dragons became a nuisance after about the 5th one and nothing in the main quest felt like it carried much weight. Even the Blades/Thalmor thing amounted to nothing really. A bunch of good ideas and they struck out on every single one.

The highlight was really walking from Whiterun all the way up to the Highrothguard, what an amazing way to introduce the player to Skyrim. Absolutely gorgeous. You start out with the familiar scenery stretching out below you, Riverwood and that one ancient Nord dungeon, as you keep climbing it just gets smaller until you can't make it out anymore, but there are all these other unexplored areas. I remember there was a lot of talk around when Oblivion was coming out how they wanted you to see the Citadel from almost anywhere in the world, how that was going to be key to the world bla bla... this climb up actually had that effect for me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yea, especially if you already had
finished the civil war stuff and had the elder scroll ahead of time.
Main quests in Elder Scroll games have a track record of being crap. I think this one had a great premise with the mini boss dragons flying around and the shouts, but they fell short in execution. Dragons became a nuisance after about the 5th one and nothing in the main quest felt like it carried much weight. Even the Blades/Thalmor thing amounted to nothing really. A bunch of good ideas and they struck out on every single one.

The highlight was really walking from Whiterun all the way up to the Highrothguard, what an amazing way to introduce the player to Skyrim. Absolutely gorgeous. You start out with the familiar scenery stretching out below you, Riverwood and that one ancient Nord dungeon, as you keep climbing it just gets smaller until you can't make it out anymore, but there are all these other unexplored areas. I remember there was a lot of talk around when Oblivion was coming out how they wanted you to see the Citadel from almost anywhere in the world, how that was going to be key to the world bla bla... this climb up actually had that effect for me.

I haven't done ANY
civil war stuff
. I ended up with the scroll because I happened opon that dudes cave early and did his quest early.

Did I miss a chunk of storyline?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It's required to restore the Guild. Assuming you've done that, yes it's still okay. Every guild has a string of generated quests for you to do as many as you want once you've completed it. Those are what the Thieves Guild offers.

I've noticed that stuff that you steal in various jobs and heists end up in the bookcases in the Ragged Flagon.

TTG

I haven't done ANY
civil war stuff
. I ended up with the scroll because I happened opon that dudes cave early and did his quest early.

Did I miss a chunk of storyline?

I had done the same quest prior, so I don't know exactly what happens, but supposedly you go on the hunt for it(by some other way obviously). If I had to rate them it would be something like:

Top half:
-Thieve's Guild, excellent quests in Markath and everything that has to do with
Nightingale
-Winterhold College, interesting premise and the Labyrinthian is cool.
-Main quest, eeks by on original trek up to Throat of the World and "The World Eater's Eyrie"

Bottom half:
-Dark Brotherhood - all but the last quest are boring
-Companions - no redeeming qualities here, short and boring and probably the buggiest quest line in Skyrim.
-Civil War - even worse. Take out a bunch of the same enemies in the courtyards of different forts, all coming from spawn points like COD or something. Nice to know that you win the whole "war" with 5 soldiers tagging along behind you.

If you want to count the deadric quests as one quest line then they go in the top half for sure. I didn't mind the general theme of guilds being on the brink of extinction in this game, but the bad outweighed the good. Mage's guild story and Thieve's Guild's quests stand out.

I've noticed that stuff that you steal in various jobs and heists end up in the bookcases in the Ragged Flagon.

It's something that's not explained at all, but you need 5 of those little side quests for each of the 4 main towns. After completing the 5, there is one special assignment that pops up, after which doing anymore in said town is useless. Once all of them are done, you will be crowned guild master and the achievement/trophy will be unlocked. The red flaggon also gets new vendors as each city is cleared.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I had done the same quest prior, so I don't know exactly what happens, but supposedly you go on the hunt for it(by some other way obviously). If I had to rate them it would be something like:

Top half:
Nightingale
-Main quest, eeks by on original trek up to Throat of the World and "The World Eater's Eyrie"

Bottom half:
-Companions - no redeeming qualities here, short and boring and probably the buggiest quest line in Skyrim.
-Civil War - even worse. Take out a bunch of the same enemies in the courtyards of different forts, all coming from spawn points like COD or something. Nice to know that you win the whole "war" with 5 soldiers tagging along behind you.

If you want to count the deadric quests as one quest line then they go in the top half for sure. I didn't mind the general theme of guilds being on the brink of extinction in this game, but the bad outweighed the good. Mage's guild story and Thieve's Guild's quests stand out.

Companions is buggy? I didn't encounter any issues withit.

Alteration and Illusion are awesome. My archer is using those along with Archery and Sneak as primary skills, and it's great fun. I'm currently going around starting fights with Fury, helping to whittle down the combatants with my bow, then landing a finishing arrow or two as clean up. It's different enough from my first archer that it's revitalized areas I've gone through before.
That was basically my build except I didn't focus in Sneak at all (even though I sneak all the time).

Illusion is very powerful, if there was a solid way to deal single-target damage with that school it would be completely game breaking. Charm and Frenzy become absolute staples to your character when you choose to focus on Illusion. Charm in particular makes you almost invincible - in an instant I can stop a giant from pummeling down on me or a wizard from casting his fireball. At that point Alteration's armor spells become less useful (since you aren't getting hit much) but still important for the occasions where you're fighting Undead and Mechanical enemies before you reach level 100 Illusion. The mainstays of Alteration therefore become Detect Life and Equilibrium - eventually Paralysis is nice to but not really necessary. Detect Life is practically required for any Archer or Assassin and Equilibrium is very important for characters that cast a lot of magic (which you will with Illusion). Obviously Archery is your damage dealer in this build, to supplement this I chose Alchemy to poison my arrows and make True Shot potions.

Just finished the main storyline and think I'll be done with my 1st character. I definitely made a bit of a mess with him, but hey it was my first one lol.

Kinda disappointed that the main storyline was basically like any other quest and seems to have little effect overall in the game world.

Looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into another character though.

SRG01

Top half:
Nightingale

Bottom half:

To be fair, the Companions is supposed to "replace" the fighters guild. I don't think any of the fighter's guild quests in previous ES games have been of any depth...

That was basically my build except I didn't focus in Sneak at all (even though I sneak all the time).

Illusion is very powerful, if there was a solid way to deal single-target damage with that school it would be completely game breaking. Charm and Frenzy become absolute staples to your character when you choose to focus on Illusion. Charm in particular makes you almost invincible - in an instant I can stop a giant from pummeling down on me or a wizard from casting his fireball. At that point Alteration's armor spells become less useful (since you aren't getting hit much) but still important for the occasions where you're fighting Undead and Mechanical enemies before you reach level 100 Illusion. The mainstays of Alteration therefore become Detect Life and Equilibrium - eventually Paralysis is nice to but not really necessary. Detect Life is practically required for any Archer or Assassin and Equilibrium is very important for characters that cast a lot of magic (which you will with Illusion). Obviously Archery is your damage dealer in this build, to supplement this I chose Alchemy to poison my arrows and make True Shot potions.

Yeah, I didn't understand the power of Illusion until 3/4 into the game. I was mainly soloing with arrows and firebolts.

... and Flames for like 1/2 of the game.

NBtoaster

I think in concept the companions are good on paper, a great twist to the fighters guild, but it's very short, the ending
"oh btw you're harbinger now"
comes out of nowhere, the enemies aren't interesting, and the twist isn't used well
Fighting in a pack of werewolves would be cool, but you only fight alongside others as humans

SRG01

By the way, a question for everyone: is Drainspell bow supposed to absorb magicka with normal arrows? I just noticed it after beating the game...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How would you guys rank the guild quests from longest to shortest? Trying to decide which ones to tackle after I complete the Companions missions.

Thermite

It's required to restore the Guild. Assuming you've done that, yes it's still okay. Every guild has a string of generated quests for you to do as many as you want once you've completed it. Those are what the Thieves Guild offers.

Ah, gotcha. This Guild is wanting me to travel all over Skyrim - Windhelm, Whiterun, Solitude, etc. Looks like I'm going to have to start using fast travel a lot...

TTG

I think in concept the companions are good on paper, a great twist to the fighters guild, but it's very short, the ending
"oh btw you're harbinger now"
comes out of nowhere, the enemies aren't interesting, and the twist isn't used well
Fighting in a pack of werewolves would be cool, but you only fight alongside others as humans

I think it suffers from being in Whiterun, that is to say it's designed for a low level character. It's the first big town you visit, so you become thane almost automatically, earning a housecarl and the option to buy the cheapest house in the game. By the same token, I think it was purposefully designed to be the easiest and most straightforward quest line. You can run through all of it in a day, all dungeons are short and you're given a "shield brother" as security for anything longer than a 10 minute go there and kill this guy objective.

Just get 2 at a time and complete them whenever you have to go to a place anyway. Again, you will have to do a minimum of 20 of these if you want to complete it, might as well spread it out.

Running away from an Ice Wolf because I didn't feel like fighting. I turn around to see how far away I am from the creature, and get killed by this huge animal in one swipe.

Stupid. :/

There's also the dawnstar museum quest.

And "A Return to Your Roots". And Chillrend.

what have they done with the elven and glass swords? they looked so elegant in Oblivion, here they just look fugly.

Elven looks better in Oblivion than it did in Skyrim? Glass? Skyrim's version beats Oblivion's with a stick and throws it in a well. And I'm not just talking about the armor, though that's a given. Oblivion's glass armor was horrendous.

BFcuXm.png

Skyrim's looks a lot better.

Kweh

I am starting to think my idea of going full on magic was a bad as I am starting to struggle when enemies get up close. Currently I am just using a Bound 1H Sword in my right hand and Flames in my left, and using Fast Heal when I can.

Are there any good spells that let me take a few hits?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Quick question! Where do I get other spells like Fast Heal? I have the basic attaks like Frostbite, Flame, Spark, Conjure Atronarch, Sword, Zombie.... hmm.. Restoration, some wards, etc...

But I am the freaking archmage and I can't fast heal or summon stone atronarchs, etc. What the hell!? :p!

NBtoaster

I think it suffers from being in Whiterun, that is to say it's designed for a low level character. It's the first big town you visit, so you become thane almost automatically, earning a housecarl and the option to buy the cheapest house in the game. By the same token, I think it was purposefully designed to be the easiest and most straightforward quest line. You can run through all of it in a day, all dungeons are short and you're given a "shield brother" as security for anything longer than a 10 minute go there and kill this guy objective.

That's probably true. I put half of it off until I was level 40 and crushed everything it had. I should probably not wait long for my lower level character.

Quick question! Where do I get other spells like Fast Heal? I have the basic attaks like Frostbite, Flame, Spark, Conjure Atronarch, Sword, Zombie.... hmm.. Restoration, some wards, etc...

But I am the freaking archmage and I can't fast heal or summon stone atronarchs, etc. What the hell!? :p!

There should be people in the college you can buy them from, or court wizards.

Elven looks better in Oblivion than it did in Skyrim? Glass? Skyrim's version beats Oblivion's with a stick and throws it in a well. And I'm not just talking about the armor, though that's a given. Oblivion's glass armor was horrendous.

BFcuXm.png

Skyrim's looks a lot better.

I'm not a fan of how GREEN it was, but the design of the sword was cool. The blue version used for Chillrend looked great.

GhaleonEB

Is it still exploitable?

My understanding is you enchant something to boost your enchanting ability. Then wear that item...and do it again to re-boost the enchanting ability to a higher level. Then wear that item and...

Do it enough and you're enchanting damage out the wazoo.

Likewise for something to improve smithing. It's not something I'd ever want to do to my game, as I enjoy the challenge and the pleasures of picking up new weapons, but it's there if you want to hit god-tier. (Personally, I'd just turn the difficulty down rather than go through the trouble.)

Sec0nd

Finished the Dark Brotherhood questline. Got to say it was pretty awesome and all but the end was pretty poor. No real 'closure' like the other guilds. I even did a couple of the Dark Brotherhood Forever quests thinking it would progress somewhat later on. Only thing that is left for me now is to finish the main quest and get a 1000 gamer score. Even though it's definitely my GOTY '11 I'm looking forward to finally be done with this game after about 130 hours played.

cory021

Neo Member
So after restoring (main campaign)
Sky Haven Temple
, it's starting to occur to me that maybe having the Empire in Skyrim is probably better than having the Stormcloaks liberate Skyrim. I don't read up on neogaf a lot, but I have learned that the Empire is what is sort of keeping the Thalmor from Skyrim, not the Stormcloaks. I'd rather have the Empire moderate Skyrim than have the Thalmor oppress the people of Skyrim.

The problem is that I've already liberated much of Skyrim for the Stormcloaks.
Whiterun, Falkreath, and the Reach
have all been liberated by my hand. Is there any way to talk to the Imperial Leaders or maybe even join the Imperial cause at this point? I went to Solitude and tried talking to an Imperial leader, but I couldn't seem to find anyone. Am I just missing someone or is it impossible to join them at this point?

I am starting to think my idea of going full on magic was a bad as I am starting to struggle when enemies get up close. Currently I am just using a Bound 1H Sword in my right hand and Flames in my left, and using Fast Heal when I can.

Are there any good spells that let me take a few hits?
I've been rolling with a Nordic warrior with only a little experience in Alteration, but would using frost spells help in close quarters? Whenever I'm fighting mages, it seems like their ice spells are the hardest to deal with since my stamina is drained quickly and I move at about half speed. Usually they can put quite a bit of damage on me before I can even touch them.

soldat7

If I get the perk that adds 25% damage to my two-handed power attack, does the decapitation effect replace the ram-you-in-the-torso-lift-you-off-the-ground effect? Because that would be tragic.

lil smoke

Banned
I wonder what happens if you drop random items out in the wild in the middle of nowhere. Such as bottles of potions, or maybe a book in the middle of nowhere. Would these items stay? It would be cool to come across health potions that you've dropped along the way... and actually be in a situation where you actually needed it :LOL

Playthrough idea? Drop tons of health and magicka potions all over Skyrim's forest. Don't ever carry health or magicka potions. Would it work? It's kind of a joke, but hmmm. haha

HNY

soldat7

I wonder what happens if you drop random items out in the wild in the middle of nowhere. Such as bottles of potions, or maybe a book in the middle of nowhere. Would these items stay? It would be cool to come across health potions that you've dropped along the way... and actually be in a situation where you actually needed it :LOL

Playthrough idea? Drop tons of health and magicka potions all over Skyrim's forest. Don't ever carry health or magicka potions. Would it work? It's kind of a joke, but hmmm. haha

HNY

I think they disappear after a time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Jarl of Makrath assigned some dude to protect my house. I'm always away and my horny wife priestess of Dibella is probably getting screwed by him daily!

Anteater

He's always the last guy I fight in a crowd of forsworns so I usually don't get to sneak

but I'm playing a non sneak character (with heavy armor) anyway, it's fine though, he doesn't seem to have much hp or high defense, he just do a lot of crazy damage for no reason, the balance is so weird in this game.

Top Bottom