• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I wish I was a Skyrim guard. I could look at random strangers, immediately tell if they have even the slightest level of skill at crouching, picking locks, or casting magic, and then make constant grating passive-aggressive insults about those skills every 5 seconds.

Dresden

The whole idea of a soul gem and using it as a capacitor is kinda disturbing to me, even if it's the soul of a non-sentient.

Imagine black soul gems - the soul of a man trapped inside, which, once used, destroys him utterly. They probably feel like they're getting burnt to death.

It's okay though, daggers need to stay recharged.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's starting to get creepy right outside Whiterun...
AHjyl.jpg

Forkball

So pretty early in the game, some hired thugs attacked me and I looted a contract off of them. It was from Ahlam, the redguard woman married to Nazeem in Whiterun. I swore to get revenge, but at the time I didn't have the means or know-how on how to get rid of her. In a radiant quest, I even had to go through a Falmer cave to rescue her. I wanted to kill her then, but I didn't want to fail the quest. Well I've finished the Thieves' Guild quest and I'm doing the Dark Brotherhood quest line, so I felt that now would be the best time to get rid of her. I waited until night, and as she was walking home, I hid and killed her with an arrow. I stole her stuff, and threw her body and the contract in the little pool near the waterfall.

Revenge is sweet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Now that i look at my screenshot again... man does it look ugly in the background.

Speaking of ugly, why does the water almost feel... invisible sometimes? Like i can see everything that's underwater so clear and the surface of the water just seem barely there?

NBtoaster

Now that i look at my screenshot again... man does it look ugly in the background.

Speaking of ugly, why does the water almost feel... invisible sometimes? Like i can see everything that's underwater so clear and the surface of the water just seem barely there?

On PC I get that when playing with the postprocess injector mod, it sometimes removes fog from the water.

Arjen

I previously posted that I found a bow that shoots arrows that cause people to catch fire. It's no longer doing that. Why?

It's probably out of charges, every enchanted weapon has a numer of charges, indicated by a gray bar if you look at it in the stats screen. You need filled soul gems to fill them.
On 360, in the inventory screen select your weapon, hit RB, choose a soul gem, rinse and repat until your bow is filled up again.

the difficulty spikes you come across in Skyrim, especially in the same dungeon, can be pretty shitty. Last night I was clearing a dungeon for a bounty, was one-shooting majority of bandits with my bow, then came across 4 bandits in a room, all wielding magic, who destroyed me in about two hits :-\

Why would badasses hang out with such a bunch of wimps? Crazy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dark Brotherhood minor spoilers
different dialogue after having read the sealed letter before talking to Astrid...
pretty slick.

In the hundreds of hours of Elder Scrolls that I have played I never considered this. I feel like a monster now. Thanks.

I've crafted weapons with black soul gems that I've then named after the person whose soul I used. I especially loved it when I captured the soul of that guy in
Azura's Star
. So you want to be immortal, huh?

NBtoaster

Just met the Thalmor in charge at Markarth. I don't like him :L Funny how he says they saved the world from the Oblivion Crisis, when a high elf started it.

I haven't had the chance to play Skyrim nearly as much as I'd like thanks to a busy holiday season, but finally got a little time in yesterday afternoon. Wandered into a random cave after completing a couple of minor quests and got mauled by a dozen cave bears. Seriously, the cavern was huge, and dark, and there were tons of bears. It wasn't pretty the first time, since I got a little cocky. But when four or five bears are on you at one time, it's rough going, even at level 45.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Seriously... I am missing something. Where do I get ENCHANTMENTS! for weapons and recharge others? I have absolutely no idea. I know I need an Alchemist Lab for it but... aside from that... no clue. Pointers? :p!

Thanks all.
Adding to the above comments: You have an enchanted bow. Enchanted weapons have a certain number of uses, after which the enchantment wears off and you need to recharge it. When you look at it in the menu, it has a bar underneath it showing the charge.

Select the weapon from your menu, then press the right bumper. That will show all the filled soul gems you have in inventory. Use the soul gems to recharge the weapon's enchantment.

Think of soul gems as being batteries, and enchanted weapons as toys that use batteries. They run out of juice, and need new gems to recharge.

Oh. I think I sold all my soul gems. Hrm!

Danny 117

Seriously... I am missing something. Where do I get ENCHANTMENTS! for weapons and recharge others? I have absolutely no idea. I know I need an Alchemist Lab for it but... aside from that... no clue. Pointers? :p!

You have to find enchanted weapons in your travels across Skyrim, then you go to an Enchanting table and disenchant the weapon with the enchantment you want (this will destroy the weapon in the process.)
I think there is an enchanting table in the Jarl's Mage's quarters in Dragonsreach.

BeeDog

Welp, pretty much done with the game now. Only have two achievements left, the "1000 bounty in all Holds" one and the "Restore the Thieve's Guild" one. The last one will be boring as fuck, I think.

I feel like I've milked everything I can out of this game at the moment; most dungeons are painfully boring to trudge through since the rewards are pitiful, and I've already gotten all Dragon Priest masks and most unique weapons in the game world. I only have Radiant quests in my journal right now, gah.

I have to say, the Dark Brotherhood and the War quest lines were goddamn boring. Talk about ending everything with a fizzle instead of a bang. But the main quest line in the game was great though, albeit short.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You have to find enchanted weapons in your travels across Skyrim, then you go to an Enchanting table and disenchant the weapon with the enchantment you want (this will destroy the weapon in the process.)
I think there is an enchanting table in the Jarl's Mage's quarters in Dragonsreach.

Aaah... thanks! :D!:p!

Oh man I'm an idiot!! I was having the hardest time with the Companions and Thieves guild quests. It turns out for some reason I set my difficulty all the way up =/

Back to normal :)

Danny 117

My difficulty has been set to master for a while now and I swear I never changed it once. Is it the default difficulty or something? :O

TCRS

Banned
what have they done with the elven and glass swords? they looked so elegant in Oblivion, here they just look fugly.

RPGCrazied

Anyway to skip the opening cutscene? If I wanted to make another character, really don't feel like watching it several times. The wagon ride, ugh.

Yo Gotti

Banned
It looks like I'm finally done with this game. Not that I'm bored of it, but at 150 hours I've ran out of stuff to do, no more good quests. I sat in front of the PS3 for about 10 minutes, controller in hand trying to figure out something to do, but nope it's finally over.

I still haven't finished the companions questline, it got glitched on a quest where I had to rescue Nazeem from a cave, he never spawned in the cave so now that quest is glitched and I can't proceed. I figure this is as good a time as any to call it quits.

I loved the game but the gameplay just isn't good enough and there were too many random bugs to make me want to reroll a character, not the mention that my current character is pretty much the epitome of what I want out of a badass Elder Scrolls character, so whatever I reroll with probably be more boring to play.

It was fun while it lasted. In a way I feel kind of unfulfilled, 150 hours and I'm putting the game down just because there's nothing else to do. There was no kind of closure to the world or story...

cory021

Neo Member
It looks like I'm finally done with this game. Not that I'm bored of it, but at 150 hours I've ran out of stuff to do, no more good quests. I sat in front of the PS3 for about 10 minutes, controller in hand trying to figure out something to do, but nope it's finally over.

I still haven't finished the companions questline, it got glitched on a quest where I had to rescue Nazeem from a cave, he never spawned in the cave so now that quest is glitched and I can't proceed. I figure this is as good a time as any to call it quits.

I loved the game but the gameplay just isn't good enough and there were too many random bugs to make me want to reroll a character, not the mention that my current character is pretty much the epitome of what I want out of a badass Elder Scrolls character, so whatever I reroll with probably be more boring to play.

It was fun while it lasted. In a way I feel kind of unfulfilled, 150 hours and I'm putting the game down just because there's nothing else to do. There was no kind of closure to the world or story...
What kind of character did you make? Sounds like you went with the Jack of all Trades game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So,I'm at the point where
you have beat alduin the first time and now you have to get the greybeards to agree to a peace summit,
how far along am I?

Seanspeed

Banned
It'll be a while before I replay the game(gonna wait for DLC), but I've definitely left myself a ton to do.

I'm 130 hours in and I still haven't visited Windhelm, I've barely gone into Solitude except to talk to somebody for a mission, I've never even SEEN Dawnstar, I dont go into or even discover like 70% of the dungeons I come across, I only barely started the Companions quest line, I haven't done the Imperial/Stormcloak quest line, haven't done the Dark Brotherhood questline. I'm finishing up the Thieves guild right now and then I might just do the main quest and call it a day.

To top it off, I've played as an archer/mage with an emphasis on Destruction/Archery/Restoration/Sneak/Alchemy, so I can go complete opposite next time around character-wise.

Once I start it back up in 'x' months time, I think my experience should be pretty fresh.

Yo Gotti

Banned
What kind of character did you make? Sounds like you went with the Jack of all Trades game.

I specialized in 1H, (Dual Wielding). Sneak and Archery.

I didn't mess with Magic much at all after my first 20 or so hours, Archery just felt so much better. I didn't touch Blocking or Two Handed either so my character was definitely a focused build. Besides Block there's just not much else I want to try in the game, I feel like my build was the most fun I could make out of the combat system.

I had considered making a mage but Magic really sucks in this game IMO. It's way too limited.

GhaleonEB

I had considered making a mage but Magic really sucks in this game IMO. It's way too limited.

Alteration and Illusion are awesome. My archer is using those along with Archery and Sneak as primary skills, and it's great fun. I'm currently going around starting fights with Fury, helping to whittle down the combatants with my bow, then landing a finishing arrow or two as clean up. It's different enough from my first archer that it's revitalized areas I've gone through before.

TTG

what have they done with the elven and glass swords? they looked so elegant in Oblivion, here they just look fugly.

On the upside, deadric stuff looks awesome!

I'm thinking of going back for the dragon priest masks, I have like 3 left to find.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
On the upside, deadric stuff looks awesome!

I'm thinking of going back for the dragon priest masks, I have like 3 left to find.

How many are there? I have 3 of them.

Also, anyone tell me how far along I am? At first I thought I was at the end, but then I realized I wasn't, lol.

Alteration and Illusion are awesome. My archer is using those along with Archery and Sneak as primary skills, and it's great fun. I'm currently going around starting fights with Fury, helping to whittle down the combatants with my bow, then landing a finishing arrow or two as clean up. It's different enough from my first archer that it's revitalized areas I've gone through before.

Do you find magical abilities throughout the game or do you have them all at the start? What do alteration and illusion do? Might be something worth investing in.

TTG

How many are there? I have 3 of them.

Also, anyone tell me how far along I am? At first I thought I was at the end, but then I realized I wasn't, lol.

8 in total, I think. You basically have one final trip, maybe another 2-5 hours? The pace really picks up, so you'll know soon enough you're close.

GhaleonEB

Do you find magical abilities throughout the game or do you have them all at the start? What do alteration and illusion do? Might be something worth investing in.

You learn new spell by acquiring spell books. The best places to find them are from the court wizards in several Jarl's palaces; the one in Whiterun has a large selection. Buy (or find) them, then read them to learn the spell.

Alteration and Illusion are not direct combat schools, but rather ones that support and can alter combat. Here's Alteration, and here is Illusion.

From Alteration, I made heavy use of the ones that boost defense (Oakflesh and Stoneflesh are what I got up to on my last character). I'd toss it on to get a +60 defensive boost before charging into the fray. Alteration can also do things like waterbreathing, and transmute ores into other ore (silver to gold, for instance).From Illusion, I use Muffle (move more quietly), and the calm/frenzy spells. Those either pacify enemies or make them so aggressive that they attack anyone nearby, including friends.

I used Calm a lot on enemies as they charged me; that makes them put their weapons away and walk off, leaving them vulnerable to attack. Frenzy etc. is useful for turning enemies on one another; I use it to make bandits and Foresworn fight one another from long range, while I toss arrows in to whittle down the pack. Works on low-level creatures as well.

The downside to Illusion spells like that is they're pretty weak early on, and require a lot of use and perks to get them powerful. But once they are, it's a lot of fun. I had a Forsworn Briarheart so chilled out that he sat down on a bench. I sat down next to him and talked with him for a while. Then I stood up and bashed his head in from behind.

That sort of thing. I have a lot of fun turning enemies on one another.

You learn new spell by acquiring spell books. The best places to find them are from the court wizards in several Jarl's palaces; the one in Whiterun has a large selection. Buy (or find) them, then read them to learn the spell.

Alteration and Illusion are not direct combat schools, but rather ones that support and can alter combat. Here's Alteration, and here is Illusion.

From Alteration, I made heavy use of the ones that boost defense (Oakflesh and Stoneflesh are what I got up to on my last character). I'd toss it on to get a +60 defensive boost before charging into the fray. Alteration can also do things like waterbreathing, and transmute ores into other ore (silver to gold, for instance).From Illusion, I use Muffle (move more quietly), and the calm/frenzy spells. Those either pacify enemies or make them so aggressive that they attack anyone nearby, including friends.

I used Calm a lot on enemies as they charged me; that makes them put their weapons away and walk off, leaving them vulnerable to attack. Frenzy etc. is useful for turning enemies on one another; I use it to make bandits and Foresworn fight one another from long range, while I toss arrows in to whittle down the pack. Works on low-level creatures as well.

The downside to Illusion spells like that is they're pretty weak early on, and require a lot of use and perks to get them powerful. But once they are, it's a lot of fun. I had a Forsworn Briarheart so chilled out that he sat down on a bench. I sat down next to him and talked with him for a while. Then I stood up and bashed his head in from behind.

That sort of thing. I have a lot of fun turning enemies on one another.
Hm. I guess the next time I'm in Whiterun I'll check out the spell books.

GhaleonEB

Quick question, for the Thieves' Guild, is it okay to do the small jobs after completing the questline?

It's required to restore the Guild. Assuming you've done that, yes it's still okay. Every guild has a string of generated quests for you to do as many as you want once you've completed it. Those are what the Thieves Guild offers.

soldat7

I wish I was a Skyrim guard. I could look at random strangers, immediately tell if they have even the slightest level of skill at crouching, picking locks, or casting magic, and then make constant grating passive-aggressive insults about those skills every 5 seconds.

let-me-guess-someone-stole-your-sweetroll.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
8 in total, I think. You basically have one final trip, maybe another 2-5 hours? The pace really picks up, so you'll know soon enough you're close.

I'll knock out some other stuff then.

Wow if that's true the main quest line is short as all hell.

Top Bottom