• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I think I'm done with the game until they start patching quests; good lord, was Oblivion THIS bad with broken shit? My wife had to stop playing after 200+ hours because entire quest lines (including the entirety of the Thieves Guild) were outright broken for her. I've literally spent the last 75 hours or so of gametime having to check the wikis for every location I discover and quest I take to try to avoid breaking it, and despite that I just had another quest break before it even was assigned to me (the White Phial one) which now leaves me at 3 "regular" quests broken, about 5 misc. quests broken, and I'm currently stuck with about 12 quest items I can't get rid of either because the quest is already completed, or I had the item when the quest started and now I can't complete the quest OR I did complete the quest but the items are still in my inventory. I'm baffled by the fact that looking online it seems that the majority of breaks revolve around quest items in your inventory, and how that isn't (relatively speaking) easily fixable. I'm just incredibly disappointed, and at this point I don't even want to put any more time into the game until I see if they address issues; I shouldn't have to be sitting at a goddamn computer constantly checking for issues to avoid breaks, and at about 160 hours in I don't want to break it any further either (I know two people whose main questline is completely broken). Goddamn it Bethesda, I feel shitty for putting this game at the top of my GOTY lists on other sites now and it's too late to change it except for GAF.

Are you playing on PC or on console? The amount of quest breaking bugs is staggering, but on PC I am able to solve most if not all of those problems through the console. It's a real shame that Beth games are so broken, Skyrim being one of the better ones as far as I'm concerned.

Card Boy

Banned
Can you marry a female character if you made a female character? All the Skyrim wiki pages are giving me SOPA messages even though i'm not American.

TTG

I think I'm done with the game until they start patching quests; good lord, was Oblivion THIS bad with broken shit? My wife had to stop playing after 200+ hours because entire quest lines (including the entirety of the Thieves Guild) were outright broken for her. I've literally spent the last 75 hours or so of gametime having to check the wikis for every location I discover and quest I take to try to avoid breaking it, and despite that I just had another quest break before it even was assigned to me (the White Phial one) which now leaves me at 3 "regular" quests broken, about 5 misc. quests broken, and I'm currently stuck with about 12 quest items I can't get rid of either because the quest is already completed, or I had the item when the quest started and now I can't complete the quest OR I did complete the quest but the items are still in my inventory. I'm baffled by the fact that looking online it seems that the majority of breaks revolve around quest items in your inventory, and how that isn't (relatively speaking) easily fixable. I'm just incredibly disappointed, and at this point I don't even want to put any more time into the game until I see if they address issues; I shouldn't have to be sitting at a goddamn computer constantly checking for issues to avoid breaks, and at about 160 hours in I don't want to break it any further either (I know two people whose main questline is completely broken). Goddamn it Bethesda, I feel shitty for putting this game at the top of my GOTY lists on other sites now and it's too late to change it except for GAF.

You may want to try playing with a couple of different characters, separate goals in mind(finishing a couple of quest lines, something smaller than going 1000/1000). A lot of people seem to be doing that, and not because they're trying to avoid bugs.

I've always played Elder Scrolls games(last 3) with one character the whole way through, but that doesn't sound like a bad alternative. It's actually better predisposed to really testing out the flexibility of the world. In that case, at least you won't be stuck 90 hours in with a broken quest line and no desire to start all over again.

I haven't run into problems as big as yours, but I did have to revert to a save a couple of hours back. I was at a high level at that point, so there was no reason to save often so I started to rely on autosave and payed for it almost straight away. Anyway, it's a big issue that I'm not sure they'll address... completely. Maybe they take the money from the 10 mil sales they've done already and spend it on a lot more play testing, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I would at least hope they make quest lines(main and guilds) bulletproof, none of that should ever be breaking.

cdyhybrid

I play multiple characters because I want to play a certain way sometimes. I don't want to do Dark Brotherhood or Thieves' Guild quests on my giant, Heavy Armor, sword and board Orc because 1) it would be a pain because he isn't specced/geared for stealth/assassination, and 2) it just isn't something the character would do.

gblues

Banned
I got through pretty much every quest on my first character, but couldn't finish the game because my gear was too weak and I lacked the perks to improve it (didn't touch crafting at all). Combine that with hitting a point where even general dungeons were one-shotting me and I decided to make a new character.

My new character is a Redguard female who uses short swords. It's interesting to see how some things change and others don't. I'm also exploring the crafting side a lot more in-depth. The change in playstyle is refreshing.

I found a little passage through the mountains that's pretty much an unofficial path to High Rock, it seems. It also displays the "you cannot go that way"-message if you try to follow it.

I tend to do everything with one character, so far the only quests that's borxed is the Windhelm murders, it just doesn't start, and retrieving a book for the librarian in the mages college. I had the book already but it wants me to find it in the chest, which of course is no longer in there, so won't advance.

I also have all the instruments from the Bards college missions stuck in my inventory, despite handing in the quests. As they are quest items i can't get rid of them. Unless there's something else i'm supposed to do with them i don't know about.

These things i can live with, if any of the main quest arcs had borxed then i would have been annoyed.

Karl2177

Can a chest hold an indefinite amount of items? I have about 6 000 lbs worth of stuff in the chest next to my bed... Can't be bothered to make Dragon armor just yet.

Getting a little tired of the "Outcast Necromancer in a random cave" story. Stumbled across yet another lonely dude "experimenting" with necromancy last night. I guess Skyrim is over run with mages who are fascinated with trying to bring people back from the dead.

On another note, I did
get Dawnbreaker
last night!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I have to ask, what incentive is there really storywise for a non Nord character to join the Stormcloaks, considering how hostile they are to other races? Pretty stupid for Bethesda to have a major joinable faction that's only sympathetic to just one nine or so available races.

Nugg

I have to ask, what incentive is there really storywise for a non Nord character to join the Stormcloaks, considering how hostile they are to other races? Pretty stupid for Bethesda to have a major joinable faction that's only sympathetic to just one nine or so available races.
This. I wanted to join them, but after a few minutes with the Stormcloaks, I just bailed. Fuck you, you racist pricks, I'm going to destroy every single one of you.

Satch

Banned
wow, there's a camp slightly to the southeast of falkreath in the mountains called "Agni's Camp", and there's an archer there that will train you in archery

and it's actual training, meaning the both of you go to a small targeting range and shoot at targets she has set up

i wish there had been more training like this instead of the "pay 5 times to get experience" type

Yeah, they really should have toned down the racism and stuck with the sovereign nation aspect of the Stormcloaks. I was all gung-ho about them until I got to Windhelm for the first time only to find out that it was run-down shit-hole that trod all over the foreign races.

I guess it's the same deal as joining Caesar's Legion in FNV, it's the dick-head option for dick-head characters.

I found a little passage through the mountains that's pretty much an unofficial path to High Rock, it seems. It also displays the "you cannot go that way"-message if you try to follow it.

There are others, too. I've found one for Morrowind and one for Cyrodiil.

GhaleonEB

wow, there's a camp slightly to the southeast of falkreath in the mountains called "Agni's Camp", and there's an archer there that will train you in archery

and it's actual training, meaning the both of you go to a small targeting range and shoot at targets she has set up

i wish there had been more training like this instead of the "pay 5 times to get experience" type

I found Angi's camp a couple nights ago, while scouring the perimeter of the map for Dragon Priests (one more to go!), and I totally agree. Aside from the bit where someone teaches you how to smith and improve a dagger and helmet, there's nothing else like it. It was a really pleasant surprise. I'd have loved to see someone teach you blocking skills by making you block/stagger his attacks while giving instructions, for example.

I'm still finding places like Angi's Camp, which is a bit mind-boggling considering how much time I've spent with the game. I just noticed a big patch of land with no discoveries on it, which means I know what I'm up to tonight. I'm hoping my final Dragon Priest is hiding there.

There are others, too. I've found one for Morrowind and one for Cyrodiil.
Those paths are nice touches and provide some continuity to the rest of Tamriel, but damn if they aren't cock teases. I was so excited finding this big path that went out under the gates, and then *thump*, can't go further.

Deep in the southern mountains there's a path to Cyrodiil, but the gate is shut; I found it a couple nights ago while scouring the mountains (which have a lot more in them than I expected - including one large fort that, in hindsight, you can actually see on the world map.)

Macmanus

Do the weapon perks apply to conjured (bound) weapons as well?

Personally I'm uncertain, but I assume they do. My bound bow was outdamaging my Flawless Ebony Bow by a decent margin. Now I have a Legendary Daedric bow that easily lays down the most hurt - but when that's excessive (which is often) I'll stick with my Bound Bow. Also when I zoom with the bound bow it still slows time so it seems reasonable to think if one obvious perk is there, they all are.

Also I'm leveled in the late 60s and playing on expert and the bound bow more than holds its own when coupled with a bit of archery gear.

Morokh

Do the weapon perks apply to conjured (bound) weapons as well?

they do

some other things to know : (from uespwiki)
Bound Sword's damage without Mystic Binding is equivalent to a Steel Sword, and with Mystic Binding is equivalent to a Daedric Sword.
Bound Battleaxe's damage without Mystic Binding lies between Iron and Steel Battleaxes, and with Mystic Binding is equivalent to a Glass Battleaxe.
Bound Bow's damage without Mystic Binding has the bow's damage between Ebony and Daedric and arrow damage equivalent to a Daedric (unconfirmed), and with Mystic Binding the bow's damage is equivalent to a Daedric (Exquisite) and arrows equivalent to Daedric.
Bound weapons can not be disarmed.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've hit another difficulty spike and I cant kill dragons. I'm dead within seconds of being attacked by one and my only hope is to run the fuck away and cross my fingers.

I actually really enjoy it. lol They feel as scary as they should be.

GhaleonEB

I've hit another difficulty spike and I cant kill dragons. I'm dead within seconds of being attacked by one and my only hope is to run the fuck away and cross my fingers.

I actually really enjoy it. lol They feel as scary as they should be.

That's how they are in my game as well (Master difficulty), and I also love it. I can handle regular and blood dragons now, but anything over that can kill me in 1-2 seconds and takes a ton of arrows to fell. I tend to use Become Etereal to avoid damage and then flee to cover to return fire, if I can't kite them to a distraction. They're terrifying and deadly, as they should be.

Actually I think that's the one I was thinking about. It's a road running SW up in the hills SW of Falkreath, right? Now that I think about it I don't think I've spotted one for Cyrodiil.

Yeah, that's the one. I thought it went to Cyrodiil at first, too, but the big-ass map I have hanging above my desk proved me wrong.

Deep in the southern mountains there's a path to Cyrodiil, but the gate is shut; I found it a couple nights ago while scouring the mountains (which have a lot more in them than I expected - including one large fort that, in hindsight, you can actually see on the world map.)

The first thing I did when I had the game was try and find Pale Pass. It was on the map that the game came with, but alas, it doesn't appear to be in-game. I haven't found a gate yet, either. The only ones I know of lead to Morrowind and Hammerfell. So you're saying there's another one there?

GhaleonEB

Yeah, that's the one. I thought it went to Cyrodiil at first, too, but the big-ass map I have hanging above my desk proved me wrong.

The first thing I did when I had the game was try and find Pale Pass. It was on the map that the game came with, but alas, it doesn't appear to be in-game. I haven't found a gate yet, either. The only ones I know of lead to Morrowind and Hammerfell. So you're saying there's another one there?

Yeah, there's one on the far southern border. I'll fire up and head back to see if I can describe it more precisely.

GhaleonEB

"GhaleonEB is online and wants friends to play Skyrim."

:D

From Falkreath, head southeast until you get to Peak's Shade Tower, which is close to the town. From there go east and hug the mountainside until you find a path up. The path takes you up in the direction of Angi's Camp. Before you get there it splits, and either direction will eventually get you there. I took the route toward her camp, then followed the paths that bent east. Eventually you pass Bloodlet Throne (the fort that's visible on the world map, in a clearing). Take the path near the back of the fort, which leads east, and it will eventually bend south, up the mountainside, ending in a closed gate to Cyrodiil.

Looking at the paper map, it's about where the Pale Pass is - so that might be it; it's deep straight south from Helgen. I had a lot of fun exploring this area the past couple days. Going back, I just found two quicksilver veins I'd missed, too. :D

:D

From Falkreath, head southeast until you get to Peak's Shade Tower, which is close to the town. From there go east and hug the mountainside until you find a path up. The path takes you up in the direction of Angi's Camp. Before you get there it splits, and either direction will eventually get you there. I took the route toward her camp, then followed the paths that bent east. Eventually you pass Bloodlet Throne (the fort that's visible on the world map, in a clearing). Take the path near the back of the fort, which leads east, and it will eventually bend south, up the mountainside, ending in a closed gate to Cyrodiil.

Looking at the paper map, it's about where the Pale Pass is - so that might be it; it's deep straight south from Helgen. I had a lot of fun exploring this area the past couple days. Going back, I just found two quicksilver veins I'd missed, too. :D

Fine, I know what I'm looking for in a bit. :lol

Oh, and read my last post on the previous page. If you haven't found that location yet, go check it out. It's beautiful.

Sorry I've been gone for so long, folks. Took a Saints Row: The Third break for a couple weeks. Looking to get back into the fray before Kingdoms of Amalur comes out - might try to roll a Dunmer pure-mage.

So I was rambling around Skyrim ths evening and suddenly a ghostly horseman dashed past me.
I ran after him and chased him halfway across the map, nailing any bandits and wolves with arrows to keep them off me, and downing many stamina potions to keep running, when he happened to pass Alduin who was resurrecting a named dragon. I had to give up the case to deal with that instead. Does the headless horseman actually lead to a quest or anything of note?

So I was rambling around Skyrim ths evening and suddenly a ghostly horseman dashed past me.
I ran after him and chased him halfway across the map, nailing any bandits and wolves with arrows to keep them off me, and downing many stamina potions to keep running, when he happened to pass Alduin who was resurrecting a named dragon. I had to give up the case to deal with that instead. Does the headless horseman actually lead to a quest or anything of note?

Nope, he's just ambient.

I think I'm going to roll a completely non-combat character. A Priest/Cleric. See were it goes. Skyrim seems like such a combat-focused game that I want to see how the complete opposite feels.

cory021

Neo Member
I just finished playing through my first character, Rhaegr (yes, it's in's inspired from ASoIF), and I have to say that I really enjoyed the experience. I only completed the Companions, Stormcloaks, and the Main Quest. My next character is going to be a Breton Mage scholar who collects Daedric Artifacts.

I'm going to take a break from Skyrim for a while, but it'll be great coming back. Exploring the world as a high level Dragonborn with a sword and shield gets a little easy and kind of dull. I'm sure playing with a whole new playstyle at a low level will be a refreshing experience. Plus, I made sure to leave parts of the game untouched by Rhaegr so the next characters still have new things to explore.

TTG

I'm nudging it along. Is it related? I'm about to
read the Elder Scroll at the peak of Throat of the World

Yes, absolutely.

Interesting thread over on the gaming side: "Your Elder Scrolls VI wishlist". Here are my thoughts on the matter.

I put in my thoughts, but it's stuff that I've been posting in this thread so it's redundant really. I thought about writing up something much more in depth, but it would take forever! Skyrim and Morrowind(I'm leaving Oblivion out because... well because it wasn't all that fun) manage to be amazing games, yet at the same time leave you with the feeling that it's clearly a work in progress. Fairly unique in that way, it's not that it's flawed but manages to shine anyway, although that could be applied as well, it's something different.

soldat7

I just finished playing through my first character, Rhaegr (yes, it's in's inspired from ASoIF), and I have to say that I really enjoyed the experience. I only completed the Companions, Stormcloaks, and the Main Quest. My next character is going to be a Breton Mage scholar who collects Daedric Artifacts.

I'm going to take a break from Skyrim for a while, but it'll be great coming back. Exploring the world as a high level Dragonborn with a sword and shield gets a little easy and kind of dull. I'm sure playing with a whole new playstyle at a low level will be a refreshing experience. Plus, I made sure to leave parts of the game untouched by Rhaegr so the next characters still have new things to explore.

Sounds like a great way to play the game actually. Might do the same myself.

Edit: Any word on the next patch?

Top Bottom