• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

So despite having the game for a month, I've only now started playing, for once I didn't spend 12 hours trying to mod the game first. lol

Getting killed by a giant and launched into orbit was hilarious. Kidding aside it's actually a lot of fun, I just loved looking into the distance and seeing a mountain and knowing I could climb it. I do guess I need the high textures and ugh low res text kill the immersion for me just now, breathtaking mountain...super low res...damnit.

Sushen

In the Fallen,
I'm trying to lure the dragon with dragon call shout. It it's not coming. Is there any trick to it?

So beat it today on 360 after close to 90 hours, while doing most of the side quests, (Thieves, Companions, College, Dark Brotherhood, Bard's, Imperials and all but a few of the Daedra quests.) I'm pretty much done with the game I think.

Definitely better than Oblivion, and though nostalgia is probably clouding how good Daggerfall and Morrowind were, I think it's better then those too... but Holy hell if this game isn't buggy. I had to revert to previous save files sooo many times. Even after the end boss, the game froze and I had to do the end sequence again. Yes, I know that it's a "wide-open" game, with infinite sequences, and the game is actively accounting for hundreds to thousands of npcs, etc. etc. but this is one of the buggiest and most frustrating games I've played, and I played Battlecruiser 3000 when it first came out. The fact that I stuck with it though is truly a testament to how wonderful the underlying game is.

I wish quest-wise that the College was fleshed out more. With the other factions, I thought the stories, while varying in length, were more or less fleshed out and you got a good, full arc.
With the college, it basically was "hey here's some mysterious mages, And now here's a mysterious power you've uncovered. And before we explain anything, you're gonna kill the obvious antagonist and we'll take away everything, and won't actually let you know what's going on. Bye bye!

And with this game being complete, I'm back to XB.

GhaleonEB

Got to Blackreach tonight.

Not since I first started the game have I been so overwhelmed with the scope of the game that I had to take a break just to take it all in. I just spent a good hour working through it, and I'm pretty sure I'm less than halfway through the main chamber. I just entered
Silent City Catacombs
and had to stop. It's just so much to take in.

Just when I think I've seen what the game has to offer it up and kicks me in the nuts this way. So huge, so overwhelmingly awesome. I'm glad I saved it until now.

I wish quest-wise that the College was fleshed out more. With the other factions, I thought the stories, while varying in length, were more or less fleshed out and you got a good, full arc.
With the college, it basically was "hey here's some mysterious mages, And now here's a mysterious power you've uncovered. And before we explain anything, you're gonna kill the obvious antagonist and we'll take away everything, and won't actually let you know what's going on. Bye bye!

Oblivion's Mage Guild quest line was like that too, except that it completely neutered an important Daggerfall NPC with a lame boss battle and boring, generic character model.

BeeDog

There, 115 hours in and I've done pretty much everything (all achievements too). Out of the major side-quests left, I think I only have the Stones of Barenziah one left (got all 24 stones though). Definitely got my moneiz out of it, but I'm still somewhat disappointed by the game.

Let's hope any upcoming DLC/expansions provide some substantial, fun quests like Shivering Isles did.

So beat it today on 360 after close to 90 hours, while doing most of the side quests, (Thieves, Companions, College, Dark Brotherhood, Bard's, Imperials and all but a few of the Daedra quests.) I'm pretty much done with the game I think.

Definitely better than Oblivion, and though nostalgia is probably clouding how good Daggerfall and Morrowind were, I think it's better then those too... but Holy hell if this game isn't buggy. I had to revert to previous save files sooo many times. Even after the end boss, the game froze and I had to do the end sequence again. Yes, I know that it's a "wide-open" game, with infinite sequences, and the game is actively accounting for hundreds to thousands of npcs, etc. etc. but this is one of the buggiest and most frustrating games I've played, and I played Battlecruiser 3000 when it first came out. The fact that I stuck with it though is truly a testament to how wonderful the underlying game is.

In comparison to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas at launch, Skyrim is a paradise, imo. At least the non-PS3 versions.

There, 115 hours in and I've done pretty much everything (all achievements too). Out of the major side-quests left, I think I only have the Stones of Barenziah one left (got all 24 stones though). Definitely got my moneiz out of it, but I'm still somewhat disappointed by the game.

Let's hope any upcoming DLC/expansions provide some substantial, fun quests like Shivering Isles did.

Why are you disappointed?

Can't believe had to hold RB. Not intuitive.

Same with every high-level shout, really. Though the game could've explained that better.

Morokh

Is there any downside to doing leveling up tricks like making iron daggers to get my smithing skill up quicker?

you level up quicker, enemies get tougher and your combat skills may fall behind.

Also, for all the players claiming they 'finished' the game by completing all the main questlines in about 100 hours, you can't be more wrong :p

TTG

Got to Blackreach tonight.

Not since I first started the game have I been so overwhelmed with the scope of the game that I had to take a break just to take it all in. I just spent a good hour working through it, and I'm pretty sure I'm less than halfway through the main chamber. I just entered
Silent City Catacombs
and had to stop. It's just so much to take in.

Just when I think I've seen what the game has to offer it up and kicks me in the nuts this way. So huge, so overwhelmingly awesome. I'm glad I saved it until now.

I've seen loads of people gush over blackreach... and I really didn't have the same experience. I think it's because I just had spent hours making my way through Alftand to get to the "entrance". So, I'm thinking this sidequest(yea I was doing the deadric quest when I first got in) is finally coming to an end, forget the fact that I didn't know about the lengthy second half of that quest, but anyway I'm thinking it's over and I walk into what is undoubtedly the biggest interior space in all of Skyrim. Sure, it looks fantastic, but I had a "aw shit, I thought I was done" moment. I looked around for what must have been a good hour, but didn't go exploring every nook and cranny partly because I thought I would have to come back for other quests, to enter some of the subsections or whatever. And it never happened, I never had a reason to come back.

I do love the idea of a place like that.
I've found at least one other entrance to it, somewhere on a completely opposite side of that mountain range, a spot that must have been at least as far away from Alftand as Whiterun is from Windhelm. When I was walking away from it, I just had to look back and wonder how much of that mountain it is hollow. Goes to show how well they've crafted the world, there's no reason for me to think that, as if a dungeon separated by a loading screen has to somehow "fit" in the dimensions of the outside world. And yet I was so immersed that it didn't matter.

Makes me wonder if they should tie in more story about Dwemer culture/origins in the next Elder Scrolls, it's just about the most interesting type of dungeon in Skyrim. Thinking back, they were outstanding in Morrowind as well.

Makes me wonder if they should tie in more story about Dwemer culture/origins in the next Elder Scrolls, it's just about the most interesting type of dungeon in Skyrim. Thinking back, they were outstanding in Morrowind as well.

Morrowind and Skyrim do a pretty good job of explaining a lot of stuff about the Dwemer. There's a small additional quest in the College of Winterhold that has some nice callbacks to what we learned in Morrowind, too.

By the way, about Blackreach... I haven't tried this myself, but try Fus Ro Dah on that great glowing orb.

Anteater

Blackreach was kind of empty, or at least I didn't find anything interesting down there other than more Falmers, I went through a few buildings and decided to just grab
the elder scroll killed the dragon
and get out of there, cool looking place though

Morokh

Just had something quite funny happening.

I'm at more than 250 hours in the game with my third character i spent more than 10 hours with and I just got a 'random' encounter that I've never had before.

I'm playing a Thief/assassin character that usually only uses daggers, and conjured dual swords/bow when the need rises (which lead to the conjuration skill getting high pretty quick), did not join any guild yet and a guy comes to face me in Whiterun taunting me "So you think you're a wizard ?" and forces me to challenge him xD

Blackreach was kind of empty, or at least I didn't find anything interesting down there other than more Falmers, I went through a few buildings and decided to just grab
the elder scroll killed the dragon
and get out of there, cool looking place though

There is a quest involving a big Oblivion reference in there too :p

In comparison to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas at launch, Skyrim is a paradise, imo. At least the non-PS3 versions.

Played Oblivion and Fallout 3 on 360, and I had way more problems with Skyrim. I think Oblivion had more minor glitchy "huh that's weird" kinda moments, and I had to empty the cache almost every time I loaded it so that it'd run reasonably, but I didn't have a lot more then that. Skyrim had more game-crashes both during gameplay and loading screens, stuck missions, etc. I had to revert back to my own personal saves more times then Oblivion and Fallout 3 combined.

I do remember running into problems with Daggerfall and Morrowind (both PC) but still nothing like Skyrim.

GhaleonEB

Morrowind and Skyrim do a pretty good job of explaining a lot of stuff about the Dwemer. There's a small additional quest in the College of Winterhold that has some nice callbacks to what we learned in Morrowind, too.

By the way, about Blackreach... I haven't tried this myself, but try Fus Ro Dah on that great glowing orb.

I'd heard of that, and am planning on doing it on the way out. No idea what happens but that's much of the fun. I have my hopes, though.

Edit: two solid hours of exploring Blackreach, and I can see many large sections I haven't even gotten to yet. So. Vast.

On glitches: I'm getting really tired of all the glitched quest items, though. I have two Amulets of Talos stuck in my inventory now, and from what I read, no way to get them out either. I'm actually thinking about rerolling Wulf just to get rid of all that shit.

Owzers

So on the 1.3 patch, i've been playing the 360 version again after a long break waiting for things to be fixed. Maybe 2-3 hours of playing and a bunch of hopping around places, i've yet to see ONE dragon flying around anywhere. Seems like the patch greatly reduced/almost eliminated one of my favorite things about Skyrim.

GhaleonEB

On glitches: I'm getting really tired of all the glitched quest items, though. I have two Amulets of Talos stuck in my inventory now, and from what I read, no way to get them out either. I'm actually thinking about rerolling Wulf just to get rid of all that shit.

I really wish this game had character save slots. Pick a slot, and all the saves for that build stack there, with other builds in their own. It's so annoying having them all mixed together.

I periodically go through and boil my saves down; my bottom two are my first two characters. I was surprised this wasn't a feature given how the game was clearly designed for multiple characters, given how fast we level compared to the volume of content.
Why do I still bother looting everything and selling them when I don't even need gold? I'm hopeless...

I do the same. Just going through the motions. The game needed more huge things to save for, one 25k house didn't cut it.

This game is so so fun and for once I don't feel vastly underpowered at the start of the game.

The coolest thing was stumbling around and expect to reload, come across a bandit camp, and by luck complete finding a quest item and get some nice loot.

The combat feels better than previous Elder Scrolls, I don't know why.

I have to say the Nexus Mod Manager people deserve a huge thanks, it makes modding a snap and meant I spent 30 minutes vs a few hours and was able to jump in.

cdyhybrid

I really wish this game had character save slots. Pick a slot, and all the saves for that build stack there, with other builds in their own. It's so annoying having them all mixed together.

I periodically go through and boil my saves down; my bottom two are my first two characters. I was surprised this wasn't a feature given how the game was clearly designed for multiple characters, given how fast we level compared to the volume of content.

I do the same. Just going through the motions. The game needed more huge things to save for, one 25k house didn't cut it.
I'm sure there will be mods for both of those issues. Release the CK already, Bethesda!

My #1 request for bug fixes are fucking quest items. I've finished most of the bard instrument quests (why is there a Jorn but his drum says it's Rjorn's?) and I'm still stuck with the instruments. Still holding the Elder Scrolls, too. Problem would be solved if we could drop them as we please; if I lose it and it breaks a quest, tough love.

My #1 request for bug fixes are fucking quest items. I've finished most of the bard instrument quests (why is there a Jorn but his drum says it's Rjorn's?) and I'm still stuck with the instruments. Still holding the Elder Scrolls, too. Problem would be solved if we could drop them as we please; if I lose it and it breaks a quest, tough love.

I managed to get rid of my double Amulet of Talos', but I'm stuck with an uncompleted Misc. Quest now... Oh well, I don't give a crap about those anyway.

LuchaShaq

Banned
College of winterhold problem/question/spoilers
I'm on what I think is the last mission and I keep using the staff on the eye/acarno and then trying to melee after and nothing is happening, eventually I ran out of staff charge. Any ideas?

fazzk

Neo Member
Quick question about enchanting:

I want to do some type of -25% destruction on 4 items or something close to that. However a long time ago I disenchanted a weapon that had Fortify Destruction as well as Magicka Regen on it. Now when I go to enchant a new item - i can only select an enchantment called "Fortify Destruction + Magicka Regen". Is there anyway to have only a fortify destruction? And will have a double enchantment make it weaker?

Also - how do I reach 25%? Mine only shows 12% Thanks

KorrZ

Quick question about enchanting:

I want to do some type of -25% destruction on 4 items or something close to that. However a long time ago I disenchanted a weapon that had Fortify Destruction as well as Magicka Regen on it. Now when I go to enchant a new item - i can only select an enchantment called "Fortify Destruction + Magicka Regen". Is there anyway to have only a fortify destruction? And will have a double enchantment make it weaker?

Also - how do I reach 25%? Mine only shows 12% Thanks

Yes, there is a way to do only Fortify Destruction. You'll need to find an item that has only a Fortify Destruction enchant on it and disenchant it. You won't be able to get up to the -25% with the Destruction+Magicka Regen one because it make the actual fortify destruction enchant pretty weak to make up for the magicka regen.

If you have high enchanting (85-100) you should get the 25% pretty easy, if you're still a little off just chug a +% enchanting potion before you enchant the items.

fazzk

Neo Member
Thanks for the help Korrz. I actually have an item I found enchanted with some fortify destruction only but it did not show up on my disenchant list. Any idea with whats going wrong?

I just had my most epic Skyrim moment. I assassinated a certain head of authority in Solitude for the Dark Brotherhood and escaped the city. I ran all the way to Rorikstead (unable to fast travel because the guards are still telepathic Terminators with one goal in mind to pursue forever) where I ran into a named dragon. It grabbed a guard and flung him straight into the air like the giant glitch. I killed it and ran all the way the the brotherhood sanctuary to get my next quest. Outside, my bro Argis finally got back from Solitude and I run to my next destination. Uh oh, I run into a Solitude guard. Is my punishment a life sentence? Nah, just pay 1040 septims. Argis kills 3 guards he had a beef with outside the prison and the hysteria is finally over. It was a chase OJ would be proud of.

Card Boy

Banned
I am making a Thief Magic type character, but trying to work out what perks i need.

I'm using
1 Handed swords
Light armour
Bows
Want to use Alteration
Want to use Desruction
Want to use Illusion
Want to use a tiny bit of resoration
I don't want to invest in Block/Shields/Conjuration/Enchanting

Are the Sneak/Light armour/Lock picking/Pickpocket/Speech perks worth investing into? I'm Level 12 with 5 points spare.

Also I killed a Ice Dragon but didn't get a Shout from it?

Also ef snowy sabre cats.

cdyhybrid

I am making a Thief Magic type character, but trying to work out what perks i need.

I'm using
1 Handed swords
Light armour
Bows
Want to use Alteration
Want to use Desruction
Want to use Illusion
Want to use a tiny bit of resoration
I don't want to invest in Block/Shields/Conjuration/Enchanting

Are the Sneak/Light armour/Lock picking/Pickpocket/Speech perks worth investing into? I'm Level 12 with 5 points spare.

Also I killed a Ice Dragon but didn't get a Shout from it?

Also ef snowy sabre cats.

Sneak is very worth it. Light armor is up to you, but when I played my Assassin-type I didn't get hit much once I leveled up Sneak pretty high. Might be worth it to make the armor weightless with that one perk. The other ones I didn't invest anything in.

rdrr gnr

I've never been a fan of the series; I gave Oblivion the good ol' college try and no luck. But holy shit, I sat down to do a quest or two, and unexpectedly played for 11 hours straight. The game is on loan from a friend, so I won't get to experience everything, but I'm definitely a believer now and understand all the hype.

Sneak is very worth it. Light armor is up to you, but when I played my Assassin-type I didn't get hit much once I leveled up Sneak pretty high. Might be worth it to make the armor weightless with that one perk. The other ones I didn't invest anything in.

Just use the Steed stone found near Solitude for that. You also get 100 extra carry weight.

TTG

not necessary/there's a perk in the heavy armor tree that makes armor weightless and erases the penalty of wearing it, so no/no/no/no

How is sneak worth it? I admit, all my sneaking was done with a bow, so maybe attacking from long range makes it a lot easier, but I just unlocked the tree and never touched it again. I ended up using a combination of apparel to muffle any noise and boost sneaking ability and critical/sneaky strikes. On the rare chance that you need to walk right in front of someone, use an invisibility potion.

All that being said, the game is not stingy about handing out perks, so you can play around with it, within reason. Lock picking has to be the most useless tree in the game, I'm somewhere in the 90s with that skill and I haven't unlocked a single thing.

not necessary/there's a perk in the heavy armor tree that makes armor weightless and erases the penalty of wearing it, so no/no/no/no

How is sneak worth it? I admit, all my sneaking was done with a bow, so maybe attacking from long range makes it a lot easier, but I just unlocked the tree and never touched it again. I ended up using a combination of apparel to muffle any noise and boost sneaking ability and critical/sneaky strikes. On the rare chance that you need to walk right in front of someone, use an invisibility potion.

All that being said, the game is not stingy about handing out perks, so you can play around with it, within reason. Lock picking has to be the most useless tree in the game, I'm somewhere in the 90s with that skill and I haven't unlocked a single thing.

For backstabbing characters, Sneak has a perk that can totally make you an awesome bad-ass not-so-silent throat slicer: Shadow Warrior. If the enemy sees you, jump into Sneak, roll (another great perk) behind them and BAM, throat filé.

Feature

Banned
bah, this game is so full of annoying bugs that ruin the experience. I wandered into a town and suddenly a dragon appeared. there were about 10 guards walking around and just 2 attacked the dragon, the rest was just walking their usual predefined path... ruined the whole battle for me.

Iv done the Red Eagle sword quest but now iv got the quest again, is this right?

No.

I've pretty much stopped caring about my quest log... I try to play 'natural', so I'm not running around checking it every five minutes anyway.

Now having a necklace stuck in my pockets that I can't get rid of, that's something entirely different.

Dresden

For backstabbing characters, Sneak has a perk that can totally make you an awesome bad-ass not-so-silent throat slicer: Shadow Warrior. If the enemy sees you, jump into Sneak, roll (another great perk) behind them and BAM, throat filé.

Unless they've patched this you don't even have to roll behind them, a front attack usually triggers the backstab animation.

Unless they've patched this you don't even have to roll behind them, a front attack usually triggers the backstab animation.

TlW0i.png

Top Bottom