• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I dunno, maybe you could try forcing the quest to continue using console commands?
Xbox broseph. last save was maybe 5 hours ago and iv found a potential fix so hopefully this will work and ill only of lost a nights work if not im gunna flip out. I dont want to start all over again.

Xbox broseph. last save was maybe 5 hours ago and iv found a potential fix so hopefully this will work and ill only of lost a nights work if not im gunna flip out. I dont want to start all over again.

Oh, I was confused when you were talking about Patch 1.4. I thought you meant you tested it. Sorry bruh. Hope you can fix it.

Otherwise, I dunno, slice 'em with your sword a couple of times. Maybe they'll jump into action. :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So happy that there's a professional looking ebook for Skyrim's stories. Not I can strike off one in game distraction and maybe get a little done. I must be 80 hours in without any main quests completed.

GhaleonEB

Azel has retired. Rudo is born, my first male character.

I really wish this game had online profile pages, as with something like Halo: Reach. I want to look at people's characters, check out their armor and stat builds. I'm interested in how people play and how it's worked out for them. With that in mind, here's how Azel ended up:

Time: 105.12.18

Level: 47

Magika: 270
Health: 220
Stamina: 270

(With all apparel removed.)

Skills (bolded are what I considered my primary skills, which I actively used and put perks into):
Illusion: 84
Conjuration: 20
Destruction: 23
Restoration: 33
Alteration: 26
Enchanting: 82
Smithing: 99

Heavy Armor: 31
Block: 25
Two-Handed: 18
One-Handed: 27
Archery: 100
Light Armor: 58
Sneak: 100
Lockpicking: 72
Pickpocket: 18
Speech: 64
Alchemy: 72

Quest lines completed:

Main Quest
Dragon Priest Masks
Mages Guild (90%)​

I called this build the Pupper Master. She was a master archer, with a powerfully smithed and enchanted bow, which was frequently dabbed with wicked poisons (doing 60 points of health damage, twice per poison at the end, with paralysis up to 13 seconds). She would use Calm to chill beasts and lone enemies, often so she could step behind, crouch, and land a wicked 3x one-shot to their presented backs. Her Frenzy spells often had entire dungeons brawling with one another from the shadows, while she managed the fight with arrows from afar, never spotted.

It was a lot of fun, and was quite different enough from my first archer thanks to heavy Alchemy and Illusion use that it felt very fresh (the new quests to work through helped). Master difficulty made the world dangerous right until the end. High level bandits and snow sabercats could kill me in two hits, even now. I was often challenged at high level, which never happened with my first archer (who played on the next difficulty down).

Enter Rudo, who I am making as polar opposite to Azel as I can, while still being a character I think I'll enjoy.

Rudo is a male orc, thick, bearded and ugly as sin. He's as pure a mercenary as you can come by; if there's gold in it for him, he's interested. Rudo is a hunter-gatherer, who will smith and enchant all his own armor, and make wicked poisons from whatever he can grab along the way.

Rudo also likes to hit things. And bash them, slice them and generally inflict suffering (as long as get gets something shiny out of it). He plans to hit them with a flaming sword, an axe of ice, and a mace of lighting, depending on the enemy. He will also carry a dagger enchanted with absorb health, which he'll use to finish off enemies as they crawl away, so he can absorb and savor the last of his enemies life essences. Once Enchanting hits 100, his three primary weapons will get absorb health along with their elemental enchantments, and the dagger will be retired.

Since Rudo also likes to not die (he'll be playing on Master difficulty, after all), he'll also be using Conjuration and Illusion extensively. Conjuration, because I really struggled with my aborted second character, who was also a melee brawler on Master difficulty; having a distraction or two around will help. Illusion because I just plain had so much damn fun with it, and I found that late in Azel's run, she could use Calm on enemies powerful enough to kill her in 1-2 blows. I think that will come in handy with a melee character.

Also, I want Rudo to get to level 50 (for the Achievement) without having to grind. I felt like I was having to do with that with Azel, which is why I dropped her. But because that's a lot of primary skills (Block/One-Handed/Illusion/Heavy Armor/Conjuration/Alchemy/Enchanting/Smithing), I want to give him a lot of content to work through.

Rudo's charter includes the main quest (the quests, dragons and shouts are all too good to pass up), Daedric quests, the Companions and the Civil War from the Imperial side (to be settled before a certain point in the main quest arrives). Also, the Bard's College. Fellow wanted to be a singer but never had the talent; since no one else at the College can sing either, he'll fit right in.

All in all, more than my other three characters, so I think I'll be with this guy for a good long while.

Current plan: get to the Steed Stone near Solitude straight away (heavy armor plus four weapons is a lot of gear), and then begin mercenary work to earn enough coin for the manor in Solitude (getting dragons/shouts into the world early on). After he's got a home, his quest lines will begin in earnest.

Three months into playing this game, and I'm still almost giddy at the thought of playing a different character with a new set of skills, with unique quest lines to play through. What a game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time in years over the last week and I said holy shit when they arrived in Edoras (where the king of Rohan lives). The word "inspired" just doesn't cut it here. Bethesda straight up lifted a chunk of Edoras, put it in Skyrim and called it Whiterun.

I just saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time in years over the last week and I said holy shit when they arrived in Edoras (where the king of Rohan lives). The word "inspired" just doesn't cut it here. Bethesda straight up lifted a chunk of Edoras, put it in Skyrim and called it Whiterun.
Now I have to see those movies again.

After some trail and error and some fus ro dah flavoured persuasion along with 3 hours of gameplay repeated i managed to get into
Sky Haven Temple

Im enjoying the main quest.

Heimdall Pen'Zeus Amun.

Click to make bigger

A little tip: instead of enchanting your dagger/weapons with Absorb Health, I would suggest giving them Soul Trap. Heck, get the Steel Axe of Fiery Souls in Ironbind Barrow and disenchant that, get an axe with it immediately.

And shit, I thought I was in the 'Edit post'-screen. Goddammit.

NBtoaster

Didn't know there was a sunbathing pose for npcs lol..came across this camp while looking for Jazbays..

http://i.imgur.com/Yqgyp.jpg

Dont know if it was the patch but I was finally able to cure my lycanthropy, bugged out on me before. This character will finally get a fitting end.

Finally beat the main quest last night, 85 hours. Here's my "final" character sheet:

Name: Darako
Race: Bosmer
Level: 40

Skills:
Archery
Illusion
Alchemy
Alteration
Enchanting

Hours Played: 85

Combat revolved around Archery with Illusion playing an extremely important control role. If there were multiple enemies you can bet they were going to be Frenzied; when I would get close to death, instead of healing myself, I would charm the enemy and regain the advantageous ground. A common strategy in dungeons was to cast both Muffle and Invisibility on myself as I snuck around to figure out the best method of attack - the Detect Life spell was a crucial part of this (though casting it would dispel Invisibility so had to be careful). When it came to dealing damage, my bow took down most enemies in a single shot but if I doubted its ability I always kept a batch of extraordinarily strong poisons in my Quick Menu.

I don't have my laptop so I don't have the numbers in front of me but, I was roughly 97 in Archery and 86 in Illusion. Alchemy and Alteration are both 70 something and Enchanting is in the mid 60s somewhere. Those are just the skills I put perks into - he has very high Sneak and Lockpicking as well simply from using them so much. My gear was straightforward by the end. My main set was full Glass with Helmet, Bracers, Necklace, and Ring fortifying Archery; Chest fortifying Illusion and Mana Regen; and Boots fortifying Carry Weight; my bow, Daedric. I carried with me a very light set of extra gear, 1.2lbs of enchanted Fortify Lockpicking gear, and 1lb of Fortify Bartering gear.

Most recent non-spoiler screenshot I have:

Yes, I rolled with Iona (on the rare occasion I wasn't alone)... the chick you get from Riften. Lydia is still alive but my main home was Honeyside.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A little tip: instead of enchanting your dagger/weapons with Absorb Health, I would suggest giving them Soul Trap. Heck, get the Steel Axe of Fiery Souls in Ironbind Barrow and disenchant that, get an axe with it immediately.

And shit, I thought I was in the 'Edit post'-screen. Goddammit.
I did this when I got Fiery Soul, and just accidentally ended up trapping dozens of wolves or bears into Grand Gems by accident. I normally stick to Fire or Shock now - my left hand always has a spell (Close Wound or Wards) out anyway.

Did you at least talk to the white beards?
Just checked, and I'm at Diplimatic Immunity/The Jagged Crown/Hitting the Books/Proving Honor. Definitely over 70 or 80 hours in. I've mostly been exploring, smithing, enchanting and collecting books. I'm really enjoying my time on 360 and it's one of those games I wish I could get selective memory loss for just to experience it new all over again. I guess my only complaint is the lack of music. I'd buy a Morrowind/Oblivion package to add more exploration tracks to the game. When you can fool around for as long as I have, 30 minutes of music isn't going to cut it.

Wrekt

With the patch, was finally able to complete Blood on the Ice, puchase the last house, become Thane of Windhelm and Thane of Riften, all with much improved performance.

I'm still unable to start Blood on the Ice. Were you stuck on a part in the middle of the quest, or were you in my shoes and the quest would never trigger? I completed the Dark Brotherhood quests already, so I don't know if that permanently screwed me over.

NBtoaster

I'm still unable to start Blood on the Ice. Were you stuck on a part in the middle of the quest, or were you in my shoes and the quest would never trigger? I completed the Dark Brotherhood quests already, so I don't know if that permanently screwed me over.

It wouldn't trigger, and I had completed the Dark Brotherhood. Are you on the latest pc patch (beta 1.4)?

I just went to Windhelm at night, and it happened.

cory021

Neo Member
Three months into playing this game, and I'm still almost giddy at the thought of playing a different character with a new set of skills, with unique quest lines to play through. What a game.
Exactly how I feel. Except I have a list of some other game I want to play before setting in on my second character :p

I actually have a list of 5 characters I plan on playing. My second character is going to be a classic Breton Mage scholar. He is going to focus on Destruction, Conjuration, and Restoration magic. My plans for his journey through Skyrim include the College of Winterhold and hunting for Daedric Artifacts. Maybe he'll explore whatever DLC Bethesda creates if it is done by then. While Rhaegr (my first character) was generally sympathetic towards most characters in Skyrim (mostly Nords, seeing as he fought for the Stormcloaks), my Breton will be a little more neutral on most of the happenings in Skyrim. He'll gladly back you if you're supporting the Arcane arts,but if not, then don't expect much assistance.

I might post some of my own stats for Rhaegr soon. It seems like a cool way to finish off a character.

Wrekt

It wouldn't trigger, and I had completed the Dark Brotherhood. Are you on the latest pc patch (beta 1.4)?

I just went to Windhelm at night, and it happened.

Yeah, I'm on the 1.4 patch. The steward still tells me that he can't sell me the house because of a murder. I go to the graveyard at night and it is empty. Suddenly like 5 NPCs walk through it at the same time, but nothing triggers.

Card Boy

Banned
I just married Ysolda, also nearing the end of the Thieves guild quest. Man that shit and the Mages guild quests are buggy :(

Also why does every NPC sound like Belethor? Its Oblivion all over again :(

Finished up the main quest line tonight

Iv got all the dragon priest masks now so im gunna finish that quest up and then move onto doing the civil war. After that im going to make another character to just explore skyrim and play around with, re level ect , clear my backlog and wait for the dlc.

My game seems to be making a habit of placing two random encounters in the same place at once. It's kinda confusing.

Just walked up on
Louis Letrush
getting murdered by a thug while a "frightened woman" runs up to me and starts blabbing about bandits that kidnapped her. And before that some drunken revelers offered me a drink while some redguards interrogated a redguard woman about her identity.

I did this when I got Fiery Soul, and just accidentally ended up trapping dozens of wolves or bears into Grand Gems by accident. I normally stick to Fire or Shock now - my left hand always has a spell (Close Wound or Wards) out anyway.

The fun thing about Fiery Soul Trap is that you can set it to 1second, and you'll get an insane number of hits with it before it runs out. All this, and it still does 10 points of burning damage. I made my enchanted blade a week ago, and haven't had to recharge it since.

Man, what the hell am I doing wrong. You guys are beating this in 85 hours at level 40+, I'm 65 hours in and haven't even been to 3 cities yet and I'm level 22.
Well, I honestly really only did quests in a few cities myself. Besides Riverwood I pretty much stuck to Whiterun and Riften with some forays into Solitude and Winterhold. I barely touched any of the other cities. I did maybe a single quest in Dawnstar (the nightmare one) and Markarth (the mine one). I did absolutely nothing in Windhelm, and never even walked into either Falkreath or Morthal (I had to look at the Wiki to even remember those two cities existed).

For my next character I'm playing an Orc and the first thing I'm going to do is join the Stormcloak Rebellion (I didn't do any of the civil war quests) and make my home base in Windhelm. Markarth is going to be like my second home and I'll definitely go check out those two other cities. I'll probably pay a lot more attention to all the Orc Strongholds throughout the land as well, I barely touched on those with my current character.

Rezbit

Wow just downloaded the beta patch on PC. Best patch ever? Went from having crusty framerates in some towns to never dipping below 60. Went to Markarth to make sure, ran to the top and bam no slowdown. Finally!

GhaleonEB

The fun thing about Fiery Soul Trap is that you can set it to 1second, and you'll get an insane number of hits with it before it runs out. All this, and it still does 10 points of burning damage. I made my enchanted blade a week ago, and haven't had to recharge it since.

I don't plan to use Soul Trap for a couple reasons, the main one being I like the tension that scare resources presents; I want to have to be saving up, making hard decisions about when to spend and what to spend it on. That's the reason I'm saving up for the Solitude house off the bat, and (part of) the reason why I always buy a fresh filled grand soul gem for all my enchantments. It's my way of making loot meaningful for a longer portion of the game.

After each dungeon, I use any petty, lesser or common soul gems to enchant gear and sell for loot, and the cadence to found gems means I level it a couple times between adventures. If I use soul trap I'd have tons of those on hand, and either more enchanted gear or more gems to sell. It may sound odd, but I don't really want that. It makes finding the filled ones more exciting as well.

The other is that I just don't want to manage my soul gems; between adventures I'll buy a couple and then I just don't worry about it. It's one less thing for me to worry about.

So far my character build is working out pretty well. I'm doing some random mercenary work and cave exploring, working up my support skills a bit. I've had some encounters that make me think this build will be fun to play as he gets more powerful. Last night I had two bandits and wolf hit with Fury fighting each other, then I came in for clean up; another had a couple guys fighting each other and then sent my own familiar in after them. The boss of a cave, who was kicking my butt, got four doses of heavy poison courtesy of my early alchemy work and it turned the tide. Rudo is going to be a beat when he's got his skills up to snuff.

I enjoy the early stages in the game a great deal, where every level is a dilemma of choices, new gear is cycled frequently, and I'm still getting chased straight out of half the dungeons I go into by spriggans or master vampires (that was an unpleasant surprise).

Well, I honestly really only did quests in a few cities myself. Besides Riverwood I pretty much stuck to Whiterun and Riften with some forays into Solitude and Winterhold. I barely touched any of the other cities. I did maybe a single quest in Dawnstar (the nightmare one) and Markarth (the mine one). I did absolutely nothing in Windhelm, and never even walked into either Falkreath or Morthal (I had to look at the Wiki to even remember those two cities existed).

For my next character I'm playing an Orc and the first thing I'm going to do is join the Stormcloak Rebellion (I didn't do any of the civil war quests) and make my home base in Windhelm. Markarth is going to be like my second home and I'll definitely go check out those two other cities. I'll probably pay a lot more attention to all the Orc Strongholds throughout the land as well, I barely touched on those with my current character.

I'm absolutely terrible with the quests in this game. I can't seem to shake the desire to finish every one I get, even though the tedium of a lot of them is starting to get on my nerves.

Maybe I should just flat out ignore everything that falls under "Miscellaneous." :p

You're playing it right, my friend.

Or not, hah.

Dave Long

Banned
So I accidentally shouted frost at some dudes in Markarth and the entire town guard was on my ass as I raced out the front door.
Don't hit the shout button accidentally after not saving for awhile...
How long do I have to wait before going back to town? I was enjoying the quests there, but didn't feel like loading an old save to get past the shout problem.

Pretty sure I can pay the fine. I never killed anyone. I just didn't want to go back and have everyone roaring after me again.

GhaleonEB

So I accidentally shouted frost at some dudes in Markarth and the entire town guard was on my ass as I raced out the front door.
Don't hit the shout button accidentally after not saving for awhile...
How long do I have to wait before going back to town? I was enjoying the quests there, but didn't feel like loading an old save to get past the shout problem.

Pretty sure I can pay the fine. I never killed anyone. I just didn't want to go back and have everyone roaring after me again.

Just head back. You'll have to pay a small fine and that's it.

If you do that again, just take out your weapon and then sheath it; the sheathing action prompts guards to stop attacking and present you with options (resist arrest, pay fine, go to jail, etc.)

Morokh

If you do that again, just take out your weapon and then sheath it; the sheathing action prompts guards to stop attacking and present you with options (resist arrest, pay fine, go to jail, etc.)

If sheathing doesn't calm them down wait 3 ingame days before heading back.

Seanspeed

Banned
Man, what the hell am I doing wrong. You guys are beating this in 85 hours at level 40+, I'm 65 hours in and haven't even been to 3 cities yet and I'm level 22.

You're doing nothing wrong. I'm 130 hours in, level 41, still haven't visited Windhelm or Dawnstar and I've only set foot in Solitude briefly for a Theive's Guild quest. Haven't done the Imperial/Stormcloak questline or Dark Brotherhood questline, only did a few Companion quests and only have 5 main quest missions completed.

I like taking my time with everything. I'm in no hurry. The game isn't going anywhere. I split fast-traveling and walking about 40/60 respectively.

Dave Long

Banned
Just head back. You'll have to pay a small fine and that's it.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. This is one of those things that makes no sense in the grand scheme of Elder Scrolls game design. If I don't have a weapon readied, the guards should wait before drawing blades and loosing arrows on me. Even then, just design it so things stop for a moment and you get a chance to talk your way out of it before eighteen guys with bad knees are poking holes in you.

You're doing nothing wrong. I'm 130 hours in, level 41, still haven't visited Windhelm or Dawnstar and I've only set foot in Solitude briefly for a Theive's Guild quest. Haven't done the Imperial/Stormcloak questline or Dark Brotherhood questline, only did a few Companion quests and only have 5 main quest missions completed.

I like taking my time with everything. I'm in no hurry. The game isn't going anywhere. I split fast-traveling and walking about 40/60 respectively.

I play very similarly to you it seems.

This is the first Beth game I've put this many hours into, and by that I guess I mean this is the first I haven't gotten bored with by 60 hours in. I can see the shallowness and faults of the game's design very clearly now, but every time it starts to get stale for me, something manages to surprise me.

This may be the first game that's not an MMO since my SNES days I may actually put 200 hours into.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Really wish you could pay to re assign a perk. I feel overpowered with Respite in the Restoration tree, having endless stamina to negate frost and use constant power attacks.

Andrew.

Banned
can you increase archery level by shooting targets like in the cistern or wherever...im one level away from the perk i want and its killing me waiting?!?!?!?!?!@?!?!?!?!?!

Andrew.

Banned
Nope. Its gotta be an enemy(or friendly turned enemy).

thats what i was afriad of....yeah im pretty high actually...its just the reg main perk for damage but i need that last level. Thanks guys

is there a way to get a NPC who is firing arrows at a target to take better arrows and basically farm the arrows of your choosing? i had one ebony arrow and tried to give it to a guy shooting at the target while taking all the steel arrows he had so maybe he would only shoot the ebony ones....is that feasable at all?

Seanspeed

Banned
thats what i was afriad of....yeah im pretty high actually...its just the reg main perk for damage but i need that last level. Thanks guys

is there a way to get a NPC who is firing arrows at a target to take better arrows and basically farm the arrows of your choosing? i had one ebony arrow and tried to give it to a guy shooting at the target while taking all the steel arrows he had so maybe he would only shoot the ebony ones....is that feasable at all?

NPC friendlies rarely shoot anything better than steel arrows. I dont think you can give them one Ebony arrow and expect them to suddenly replicate it for your taking. 99% sure of that.

You're way over-thinking this man. Just go and buy some arrows(whatever arrows), go to a dungeon and clear it out with the bow. This should probably get you the level you need.

Andrew.

Banned
im beyond the whole leveling thing....but i was just curious about the arrows thing...was a valid thought. not worried about it.

Was there a thread for ES4's radiant AI that took on a life of its own? That scary, man. I wonder if in general you can make hundreds of AI characters at let them rome free and see what happens. Sort of like a petri dish.

GhaleonEB

Was there a thread for ES4's radiant AI that took on a life of its own? That scary, man. I wonder if in general you can make hundreds of AI characters at let them rome free and see what happens. Sort of like a petri dish.

Not exactly the same thing, but this guy did a long series of battles setting up different characters and creatures against one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsZc4VoMOH8

Check out the rest of his videos on the side. Here's 4 giants vs. a Centurian Master. I've spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much time watching these.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

It works for companions, just give 1 ebony arrow to him/her, and they'll always use that.

Really wish you could pay to re assign a perk. I feel overpowered with Respite in the Restoration tree, having endless stamina to negate frost and use constant power attacks.

You can't reassign a perk, but what you can do is remove one perk, and then add another.

removeperk <perk id>

addperk <perk id>

If you're on consoles there isn't much you can do about it, maybe just don't use healing spells in combat?

Goldstorm

Banned
I'm playing Skyrim and I always wondered who writes all these books that nobody reads in Bethesda Rpgs? Is it writers from their staff or just generic fantasy stuff from the web?

It seems to me like a big waste of resources because nobody cares or reads these books. Waste of time.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm playing Skyrim and I always wondered who writes all these books that nobody reads in Bethesda Rpgs? Is it writers from their staff or just generic fantasy stuff from the web?

It seems to me like a big waste of resources because nobody cares or reads these books. Waste of time.

ive read a few....some are pretty funny. there is one thats like a bad porno...its hilarious

GhaleonEB

I read them. They are awesome, and often add a lot to the world and its history.

Seanspeed

Banned

"I dont read the books, therefore nobody else does."

Top Bottom