• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm playing Skyrim and I always wondered who writes all these books that nobody reads in Bethesda Rpgs? Is it writers from their staff or just generic fantasy stuff from the web?

It seems to me like a big waste of resources because nobody cares or reads these books. Waste of time.
I'm 90 hours in and I'll I've been doing is collecting books (170 so far) and doing sidequests. So no, incorrect blanket statement. And like I said on this very page:

Skyrim short stories ebook: http://capane.us/2011/11/24/dovahkiin-gutenberg/

Kindle .mobi and ePub.

You can't reassign a perk, but what you can do is remove one perk, and then add another.

removeperk <perk id>

addperk <perk id>

If you're on consoles there isn't much you can do about it, maybe just don't use healing spells in combat?
Yeah, I'm playing the console version at the moment, so no console tweaks for this character. Shame. I mean, I need to heal during combat, but one Close Wounds is essentially a full reset.

Arjen

I'm playing Skyrim and I always wondered who writes all these books that nobody reads in Bethesda Rpgs? Is it writers from their staff or just generic fantasy stuff from the web?

It seems to me like a big waste of resources because nobody cares or reads these books. Waste of time.

I think i read about half the books, the journals especially give some great backstory about the location you find them in.

I spend way too much time collecting 'em and organizing them. Your argument is invalid.

It greatly adds to the world.

daw840

My god, I have been playing this game way too much. 26 hours in and I am a level 23. I haven't even SEEN a dragon yet. lol

Just been running around doing side quests and looting caverns

thats what i was afriad of....yeah im pretty high actually...its just the reg main perk for damage but i need that last level. Thanks guys

is there a way to get a NPC who is firing arrows at a target to take better arrows and basically farm the arrows of your choosing? i had one ebony arrow and tried to give it to a guy shooting at the target while taking all the steel arrows he had so maybe he would only shoot the ebony ones....is that feasable at all?

Iv done this in two areas, depends on your pickpocket level.

The Archer guard in solitude. If you dont have pickpocket high enough to do it during the day reverse pickpocket something unusual and small like 3 gold or a book into his inventory then wait till after 9 (i think) sneak into the guard quarters and take his arrows and replace with higher level arrows like daedric of ebony then just pick them all of the target as he fires them during the day.

You can also do it in the thieves guild in the training chest room, (he dosnt sleep so you have to have high pickpocket) you could obviously do it anywhere but both this areas are pretty memorable.

I have not seen a single daedric arrow all game, and iv finished it now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Iv done this in two areas, depends on your pickpocket level.

The Archer guard in solitude. If you dont have pickpocket high enough to do it during the day reverse pickpocket something unusual and small like 3 gold or a book into his inventory then wait till after 9 (i think) sneak into the guard quarters and take his arrows and replace with higher level arrows like daedric of ebony then just pick them all of the target as he fires them during the day.

You can also do it in the thieves guild in the training chest room, (he dosnt sleep so you have to have high pickpocket) you could obviously do it anywhere but both this areas are pretty memorable.

I have not seen a single daedric arrow all game, and iv finished it now.

Oh wow, ok, I was wrong. Thats pretty cool. I've got 8 Daedric arrows that I've found, but thats all I've found and I haven't used them.

Anno

Is anyone else incapable of starting the game until they've listened to the entire title track 2-4 times? This is the worst I've had it since Civ 4.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is anyone else incapable of starting the game until they've listened to the entire title track 2-4 times? This is the worst I've had it since Civ 4.
Shamefuly, I always let it go until the "Nuz aan sul" section finishes.

NBtoaster

I got the Prima guide, tired of alt tabbing to check the wiki mid game and potentially crashing it :p

I've already learned a few useful things from it, like a unique weapon I missed on the Katariah. Though it says you're supposed to get a perk from the Bards College quest that increases the rate your speech increases, but that doesn't seem to happen :\

My god, I have been playing this game way too much. 26 hours in and I am a level 23. I haven't even SEEN a dragon yet. lol

Just been running around doing side quests and looting caverns
You haven't even done the early quest with a dragon? Don't know how I'd feel doing some of the longer dungeons if I didn't expect shout rewards waiting for me. Or can you still get the words (just not be able to activate them)?

Card Boy

Banned
You can't reassign a perk, but what you can do is remove one perk, and then add another.

removeperk <perk id>

addperk <perk id>

If you're on consoles there isn't much you can do about it, maybe just don't use healing spells in combat?

Does this bug achievements if you do this? I put a point in Alteration and i don't want it as Walkerwalking, Expand burden, Night eyes don't exisit in Skyrim.

Is there a reason why Bethesda keeps nerfing Alternation game to game? We already alost Levitation from ES3 to Oblivion.

Goldstorm

Banned
"I dont read the books, therefore nobody else does."

I started reading the books in Morrowind but after awhile I lost interest because it didn't add anything interesting to the game. I couldn't remember any of it after 5 minutes. Too busy doing other stuff.

I feel like there is already more than enough content in the game. I'm sure you guys that actually read the books are a BIG BIG BIG minority. Why bother with this, Bethesda? Waste of talent.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I started reading the books in Morrowind but after awhile I lost interest because it didn't add anything interesting to the game. I couldn't remember any of it after 5 minutes. Too busy doing other stuff.

I feel like there is already more than enough content in the game. I'm sure you guys that actually read the books are a BIG BIG BIG minority. Why bother with this, Bethesda? Waste of talent.

Writers writing stories that people get engrossed in a world and lore is a waste of talent? Your career councilor must've been one depressing character.

Goldstorm

Banned
Writers writing stories that people get engrossed in a world and lore is a waste of talent? Your career councilor must've been one depressing character.

Yeah, but so few people actually stop to read and appreciate these books. I feel for these professional writers :-(

Does this bug achievements if you do this? I put a point in Alteration and i don't want it as Walkerwalking, Expand burden, Night eyes don't exisit in Skyrim.

Is there a reason why Bethesda keeps nerfing Alternation game to game? We already alost Levitation from ES3 to Oblivion.

Nope, doesn't bug achievements. It's actually impossible to bug achievements in Skyrim as you can unlock any achievement no matter what console commands you use. You can easily unlock achievements you haven't attained by setting the required quest to complete for example.

Ilive1up

roughly 80 hours into the game.

almost done with the thieves guild quest line (just got the nightingale armor, best looking in the game for sure).

also just put a lot of perk points into one-handed weapons and it's pretty damn great. i waited way to long to use points (i'm level 44).

is there a level cap? or can i keep getting skill points as my level rises?

almost done with the thieves guild quest line (just got the nightingale armor, best looking in the game for sure).

also just put a lot of perk points into one-handed weapons and it's pretty damn great. i waited way to long to use points (i'm level 44).

There's no arbitrary cap that prevents you from increasing your skills. Once you max all your skills at 100 you stop gaining levels though (I hear this happens at around level 81)

NBtoaster

So the highest level Nightingale Blade can't be tempered :\ It would have been so good too..

edit: well Chillrend kind of makes up for it. Finally doing all the thieves guild quests, it's pretty good so far.

There's no arbitrary cap that prevents you from increasing your skills. Once you max all your skills at 100 you stop gaining levels though (I hear this happens at around level 81)

When every skill is maxed out you'll be level 81 indeed, halfway to 82 though, so not every skill need be maximised to be level 81. You are thus limited to 80 perks, but you can add more if you're on PC (don't really know why you'd want to though).

I've heard that after completing almost every quest you'll reach the mid 50s. If you're very determined you can reach level 81, but don't expect to do so unless you really grind.

Ilive1up

nice. i'd like to put some points into archery at some point, and knowing i can go past 50 is good.

i've also placed perk points into things i don't even use anymore (destruction), so it's kind of annoying.

*playing on 360.

I've heard that after completing almost every quest you'll reach the mid 50s. If you're very determined you can reach level 81, but don't expect to do so unless you really grind.

Seems right. I've completed every quest besides the Dark Brotherhood quests
I killed Astrid for role playing reasons. Bitch, don't give me ultimatums.
and the repairing the phial quest (bugged and didn't start). In addition I've discovered every map marker/cleared every clearable place. After all this I'm around level 67. Running out of levels should not be a serious concern to most players.

So I just finished up The College of Winterhold. Defeating
Morokei
was such a pain at first. It took me several tries but I eventually had to "cheat" my way through it. Managed to get him stuck in one spot and just used arrows and fireballs on him. That was my first hard boss.

I'm a level 15 High Elf and have been enjoying being a Mage much more than I thought I would have. I've mainly been playing one hand magic/one hand melee weapon and started getting more into archery also.

I'll probably start knocking out some of these sidequests I've built up before I start back the Companion stuff. Overall I thought the College stuff was okay so I'm interested in seeing how all the Companion stuff is.

I can't believe I've only put a little under 20hrs into this game. Ive accomplished quite a lot so far but still have a lot to see.

Speevy

Banned
I'm about to reluctantly start a new game for the following reason:

All my saves are corrupted.

That's right, using them just causes me to crash to desktop.

This is what happened, so far as I can tell. I was playing with performance-related settings such as memory allocation and whatnot, and I decided that I was possibly making my performance worse. So I deleted Skyrim.ini and Skyrimprefs.ini from the My Games/Skyrim folder. My hope was that the game would create new copies of these files for me, which it did.

Unfortunately, the saves I had built up suddenly started crashing to the desktop. I tried both 1.3 and 1.4 beta and both produce the same result. I tried disabling all mods I had before, then re-enabling them. Same result.

I tried validating my files on Steam, deleting my local content on Steam, have reinstalled the game twice already, and nothing has helped the situation.

Whatever I did, I created some scenario in no less than 10 or so save files that cause my machine to crash. New save files will work. The one after the first save will work.

If someone can solve this mystery for me, it would be greatly appreciated. But I think I'm just ready to start a new game. :(

Card Boy

Banned
Nope, doesn't bug achievements. It's actually impossible to bug achievements in Skyrim as you can unlock any achievement no matter what console commands you use. You can easily unlock achievements you haven't attained by setting the required quest to complete for example.

Nice!, just gotta find that command to remove Alternation now i guess.

NBtoaster

I'm about to reluctantly start a new game for the following reason:

All my saves are corrupted.

That's right, using them just causes me to crash to desktop.

This is what happened, so far as I can tell. I was playing with performance-related settings such as memory allocation and whatnot, and I decided that I was possibly making my performance worse. So I deleted Skyrim.ini and Skyrimprefs.ini from the My Games/Skyrim folder. My hope was that the game would create new copies of these files for me, which it did.

Unfortunately, the saves I had built up suddenly started crashing to the desktop. I tried both 1.3 and 1.4 beta and both produce the same result. I tried disabling all mods I had before, then re-enabling them. Same result.

I tried validating my files on Steam, deleting my local content on Steam, have reinstalled the game twice already, and nothing has helped the situation.

Whatever I did, I created some scenario in no less than 10 or so save files that cause my machine to crash. New save files will work. The one after the first save will work.

If someone can solve this mystery for me, it would be greatly appreciated. But I think I'm just ready to start a new game. :(

Did you change uGridstoLoad in skyrim.ini? If you increase that you can only load saves when you have it at the same value it was saved at.

So I just picked up the game and two questions.

1. I accidentally killed the Blacksmith quest sent me to in the first town. Am I just royally fucked because I think he is the guy I talk to while doing the main quest line?

2. How do you tell the difference between side quests and main line quests?

1. I accidentally killed the Blacksmith quest sent me to in the first town. Am I just royally fucked because I think he is the guy I talk to while doing the main quest line?

1. No, there's other ways to carry on the main quest. Alvor, while awesome, was only a small part of it. His wife might give you instructions... Otherwise, just head to Whiterun. You monster.

2. In your quest log, look at tab for the quest. It'll have its title above it, surrounded by some fancy drawings. If the quest is part of the main quest, those drawings should have a dragon in them. If it's a Daedric quest, you'll see an Oblivion gate. If it's a civil war quest, you'll see the Imperial symbol. And so on.

1. No, there's other ways to carry on the main quest. Alvor, while awesome, was only a small part of it. His wife might give you instructions... Otherwise, just head to Whiterun. You monster.

2. In your quest log, look at tab for the quest. It'll have its title above it, surrounded by some fancy drawings. If the quest is part of the main quest, those drawings should have a dragon in them. If it's a Daedric quest, you'll see an Oblivion gate. If it's a civil war quest, you'll see the Imperial symbol. And so on.

Killed his wife too. I walked in their house and someone attacked me and I used the AoE fire spell you start with...which hits them all. Then they all attacked me.....

Killed his wife too. I walked in their house and someone attacked me and I used the AoE fire spell you start with...which hits them all. Then they all attacked me.....

Well ain't that a bitch. Wouldn't you have to go to jail for that? Also, who attacked you? :lol

Alvor died in my first playthrough, but by then I was already halfway the main quest. A random dragon decided to attack Riverwood, and Alvor thought he could take it on with a steel warhammer and a blacksmith outfit.

Well ain't that a bitch. Wouldn't you have to go to jail for that? Also, who attacked you? :lol

Alvor died in my first playthrough, but by then I was already halfway the main quest. A random dragon decided to attack Riverwood, and Alvor thought he could take it on with a steel warhammer and a blacksmith outfit.

Well....the guy and his wife. Plus some archer dude.

Not sure what happened. All I know is I followed quest to his house and the moment I opened door I was attacked. Hopefully going to next town works. I have a thing where I don't replay content. I remember if I dropped my old gameboy back in the day and hadn't saved for an hour I never touched the game again lol.

Well....the guy and his wife. Plus some archer dude.

Not sure what happened. All I know is I followed quest to his house and the moment I opened door I was attacked. Hopefully going to next town works. I have a thing where I don't replay content. I remember if I dropped my old gameboy back in the day and hadn't saved for an hour I never touched the game again lol.

Huh, weird.

You'll definitely have a bounty for that in Whiterun, I think, though the fact that they attacked you first might negate that.

Unless, of course, they attacked you because you killed a chicken or something. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned

What are you basing that on, though? Again, you're just assuming that because you dont read them, that nobody else does. Do you not see the blatant logical fallacy(Psychologist's Fallacy) there?

vixlar

I read those books. Some of them are fantastic.

I like how they made The "official" story of Queen Barenziah and the "uncesored" version.

Some of them are a bit creepy.

And I like the new interface for reading books.

Many of the books are recicled from previous Elder Scrolls, so is not really a big waste of resources.

GhaleonEB

I have to ask, how do you 'accidentally' kill a hardy, innocent NPC in the middle of town?

Many of the books are recicled from previous Elder Scrolls, so is not really a big waste of resources.

This, most of the books are recycled from Morrowind and Oblivion.

Only really the new skill books and Journals are new material.

What makes me smile is that most of the books look massive, yet only contain 5-6 pages. That must be some thick paper they're using.

Anyone else taking a break from this game until the DLC is released? I haven't played this game in over a month because I didn't want to be burned-out on it when the DLC arrives. It's been really hard not to play this game haha. It's just sitting on my shelf, taunting me, but I won't give in! I need this DLC - whatever that may be - to be released soon.

Andrew.

Banned
last night i did the first dark brotherhood missions....and i have a question that i hope somone can answer...
the target was in a dwarven mine...i could have left the mine but i like to clear out whatever area im in....so i made it to the end and there was a switch i couldnt activate cuz i didnt have the right item or something.....WHAT IS THAT SWITCH??? AND WHERE DOES GO OR WHAT DOES IT DO?
...PLEASE!

Huh, weird.

You'll definitely have a bounty for that in Whiterun, I think, though the fact that they attacked you first might negate that.

Unless, of course, they attacked you because you killed a chicken or something. :lol

This....is very likely. -.- ..... I may or may not have killed a chicken.

God my first Elder Scrolls game and I manage to fuck it up rather quickly :p

I am used to WoW.

nice. i'd like to put some points into archery at some point, and knowing i can go past 50 is good.

i've also placed perk points into things i don't even use anymore (destruction), so it's kind of annoying.

*playing on 360.
A respec option would have been so handy. I actually have spent only a handful of my skill points and have been banking the others, just so I wouldn't fall into such a trap.

GhaleonEB

last night i did the first dark brotherhood missions....and i have a question that i hope somone can answer...
the target was in a dwarven mine...i could have left the mine but i like to clear out whatever area im in....so i made it to the end and there was a switch i couldnt activate cuz i didnt have the right item or something.....WHAT IS THAT SWITCH??? AND WHERE DOES GO OR WHAT DOES IT DO?
...PLEASE!

Heh. I did the same thing, it was a mix of frustration and delight at knowing there's more to those dungeons. Two words: main quest.

Top Bottom