• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

jorma

is now taking requests
Smoked some grass and played Skyrim. That was pretty fucking awesome.

that's alchemy for you - combine two awesome things and get something super awesome in return. I doubt you'll notice any skill increases any time soon though :p

Big Dark Brotherhood spoilers ahead!
Just poisoned the emperor, went back to the sanctuary. A blood dragon was waiting me along with the soldiers. Anyway, I'm kinda pissed Astrid was killed off. I really liked her character, my favorite so far in skyrim. Shadowmere is pretty boss though. Tanked the dragon for me lol

Noaloha

is the general consensus to not ignore the 'smithing' tree, due what you can craft later in the game?

I'd argue it depends on your chosen in-game difficulty level and your own preference for level of challenge versus the option to hang out in Skyrim as a walking god. Certainly on normal difficulty I'd strongly advise a degree of caution towards the smithing / enchanting / alchemy options if game balance interests you.

Two questions:

1. I've heard the questline for the Stormcloaks breaks the main questline; how can I go about picking it up without breaking the main quest? Should I just avoid it until I finish the main quest?

2. When exactly is a useful time to use Calm? Is there some effective sneaking strategy alongside that, or is it basically the same utility as Fear?

Zeliard

2. When exactly is a useful time to use Calm? Is there some effective sneaking strategy alongside that, or is it basically the same utility as Fear?

Yeah it's similar in practice to Fear. It's basically a crowd control spell if you need to pacify an enemy temporarily while you heal up, regen magicka, attack someone else, etc.

eek5

I've used it in two ways:

In dungeons, basically calm everyone (I'm using pacify with the perk to hit up to level 28 mobs) and then you can sneak behind them for the crit. This is a good way to boost your sneak. If you need a breather to recover magicka or to heal you can throw it out too.

The second thing I've done is I had an assignment to kill someone but they never left this group of people. I could do a sneak attack but someone would always see me and then I couldn't go back without having them go aggro. What I ended up doing was I pacified everyone then did the sneak attack and I was able to fast travel away and back and they were all cool with me.

Visceir

Big Dark Brotherhood spoilers ahead!
Just poisoned the emperor, went back to the sanctuary. A blood dragon was waiting me along with the soldiers. Anyway, I'm kinda pissed Astrid was killed off. I really liked her character, my favorite so far in skyrim. Shadowmere is pretty boss though. Tanked the dragon for me lol

To me she seemed rather jealous and insecure. The whole DB thing was a huge let-down. It is an organization of assassins and they act like they are a happy big family, what the hell.

Zeliard

Are there any of those Radiant quests for the Mages Guild after you finish its main questline?

I know Companions Guild has some, and apparently Thieves and DB do as well though I haven't messed with those two yet. But I've finished the Mages Guild questline and there seems to be nothing else there.

I've used it in two ways:

In dungeons, basically calm everyone (I'm using pacify with the perk to hit up to level 28 mobs) and then you can sneak behind them for the crit. This is a good way to boost your sneak. If you need a breather to recover magicka or to heal you can throw it out too.

The second thing I've done is I had an assignment to kill someone but they never left this group of people. I could do a sneak attack but someone would always see me and then I couldn't go back without having them go aggro. What I ended up doing was I pacified everyone then did the sneak attack and I was able to fast travel away and back and they were all cool with me.

Hrm, thanks a lot, I may start investing in Illusion more. I'm a level 35 so it may prove largely useless for a good amount of time thanks to this level limitation (a better implementation would be having the duration affected, rather than simply having the spell fail), but I've stopped needing to put points into Conjuration thanks to this
Sanguine Rose

ParityBit

Does anyone avoid horses and fast travel just so you can walk around and explore? The world is so vibrant. Honestly, I have never played a game where I DIDN'T want fast travel.

Although it's a challenge to avoid the Bears of Death out there.

Wanace

To me she seemed rather jealous and insecure. The whole DB thing was a huge let-down. It is an organization of assassins and they act like they are a happy big family, what the hell.

Yeah, Astrid and most of the others were arrogant. "We're a family, but oh, we don't need the Night Mother, Sithis, or the Five Tenets."

When I heard that
Cicero was the Keeper and had been taking such good care of the Night Mother for a long time, I knew that if there was an option I would side with him. He was the only one who actually cared about what the Dark Brotherhood was about. I spared him.

I just got my smithing and alchemy up to 100 tonight. Decided to grind it out on both of them. I have my perks maxed in alchemy now too, except for the "tasting and revealing" one because I can either look them up online or find out through use. Most of my ingredients have all 4 effects revealed already anyway. Making potions worth well over 1000 gold each. Have a barrel full of them.

Now to work on my enchanting, which is only at 57. I think I'll find a trainer and just train it no matter what the cost every level. Once I get that to 100 and max the perks, I'll buff all my shit and be unkillable.

cackhyena

Does anyone avoid horses and fast travel just so you can walk around and explore? The world is so vibrant. Honestly, I have never played a game where I DIDN'T want fast travel.

I think you mean Beards of Death, sir.

OG Kush

I just accumulated a lot of soul gems over the span of my playtime, and I never sold any (they hardly weigh anything anyways). Then I eventually enchanted my weapon with a soul trap enchant. If you don't want to waste your weapon enchant on that, then get a secondary weapon to put it on. Then just start clearing dungeons. You will fill your gems up in no time. I now have a ton of different soul gems to use for enchants/recharging.

Well...

Do the Daedric quest for Azura and you will get a reusable soul gem that can hold any size sould. After that enchant a weapon with the soul-steal enchantment and you're set.

thanks!
Stormcloaks or imperials? As in which as the better missions/loot?

eek5

Hrm, thanks a lot, I may start investing in Illusion more. I'm a level 35 so it may prove largely useless for a good amount of time thanks to this level limitation (a better implementation would be having the duration affected, rather than simply having the spell fail), but I've stopped needing to put points into Conjuration thanks to this
Sanguine Rose

Make sure you get silent casting. I think it's one of the best perks overall if you plan on sneaking a lot. Being able to reapply invisibility or pull out your bound sword (to get grand souls for black gems) without alerting people is super helpful. I ended up not going too far up the 50% magicka tree; I don't have enchanted gear for illusion either. Most of the stuff is pretty cheap. The master spells are huge AOE and take forever to cast so if you plan on throwing one out you can usually switch to some enchanted equipment before pulling it off which makes it not a huge deal. For invis, no one will aggro you so you can just wait for magicka to replenish.

Zeliard

Strange that there's no damage boost on spells while sneaking. Makes being a sneaky mage in Skyrim more pointless than it should be.

Wanace

Are there any of those Radiant quests for the Mages Guild after you finish its main questline?

I know Companions Guild has some, and apparently Thieves and DB do as well though I haven't messed with those two yet. But I've finished the Mages Guild questline and there seems to be nothing else there.
I don't think so, unfortunately.

I think a good radiant quest system for the Mage's Guild would be having you hunt down daedra across the world. "There are some clanfear infesting this cave, go kill them." "There is a dremora lord causing trouble here, kill it."

It would provide a legit source of daedra hearts and be a cool little radiant quest.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the difference between making an enchantement with a lesser soul gem and a grand soul one? I checked and the enchantment isnt stronger nor does it have more charges with a grand soul, so whats the point? Are some enchantments only possible to make with a grand soul gem or something?

eek5

Strange that there's no damage boost on spells while sneaking. Makes being a sneaky mage in Skyrim more pointless than it should be.

Yeah. Mages have some really good stealth spells too. I guess it isn't a huge deal when even the 3x multiplier + bound sword gives me the kill animation on most mobs. For higher level ones I have to use 2x sneak attack equipment.

What's the difference between making an enchantement with a lesser soul gem and a grand soul one? I checked and the enchantment isnt stronger nor does it have more charges with a grand soul, so whats the point? Are some enchantments only possible to make with a grand soul gem or something?

It does have more charges. For equipment, the modifiers are higher.

Zeliard

I don't think so, unfortunately.

I think a good radiant quest system for the Mage's Guild would be having you hunt down daedra across the world. "There are some clanfear infesting this cave, go kill them." "There is a dremora lord causing trouble here, kill it."

It would provide a legit source of daedra hearts and be a cool little radiant quest.

Yep totally agreed. Or going around hunting for various items to create various neat things in the Atronach Forge.

Seriously the Atronach Forge is a huge missed opportunity. They could have done a lot of cool stuff with that.

Reuenthal

Banned

I avoid horses for similar reasons and because I prefer first person mode, but not fast travel. I try to not use it much, and at the beginning of the game I wasn't using it at all but eventually I reached a point where I use it.

Valygar

If I have to cover some terrain I've already discovered, I use fast travel. I.E, go from whiterun to "insert city" after the first time you had done this. If I can't fast travel to there because I haven't been there yet, I go by foot (not horse). If it's a place I've been there already, but I can use a non discovered route from where I am right now, I go by foot until I arrive to known locations.

Reuenthal

Banned
Also does anyone try to fast travell using the in game transportation methods? I almost exclusively did it at first but now less so, though that is still the method I mostly fast travel with.

Zeliard

Dunno what's going on there. The bigger soul gems do in fact have bigger charges for weapons, but they're far more useful for enchanting, where grand and black soul gems will enchant your stuff to the highest of your current capability.

I haven't been using bound weapons at all because their stats aren't visible and I've been doing a fair bit of enchanting on my daggers. That said, is there any compelling reason for me to stick to daggers? I read once that they're the only "silent" weapon in the game, but doesn't Muffle make that moot? Maybe I'll switch to bound swords, muffle and calm combinations. Upside is that at some point I'll get to use a conjured bow, although I'm going to doubt that it'd out-damage anything I'd smith and enchant.

Zeliard

I haven't been using bound weapons at all because their stats aren't visible and I've been doing a fair bit of enchanting on my daggers. That said, is there any compelling reason for me to stick to daggers? I read once that they're the only "silent" weapon in the game, but doesn't Muffle make that moot? Maybe I'll switch to bound swords, muffle and calm combinations. Upside is that at some point I'll get to use a conjured bow, although I'm going to doubt that it'd out-damage anything I'd smith and enchant.

If you're playing a sneaky character I'm not too positive, since I haven't done that outside of stealing every item I see, however bound weapons are enormously useful if you get the two perks attached to them - Soul Stealer and Oblivion Binding. That's where their true effectiveness comes into play, not so much damage-dealing.

The first means you can trap any enemy's soul with any bound weapon if you have the proper gem size (this is particularly awesome when/if you get your hands on the Black Star). Makes it very easy to fill up all kinds of soul gems in no time, making enchanting a breeze.

Second perk lets you one-shot enemy summons, which is great later in the game when you're facing enemies that summon their own stuff or turn your summons against you. Better yet, if they resurrect an enemy instead of summoning, you can turn them to your side.

eek5

I'm really bummed that they didn't flesh out bound weapons. Stuff like a master spell that cost you x magicka/s with elemental enchantments and stuff would've been sweet or even master spells that cost a lot of magicka for permanent conjuration but it did more damage than the regular bound one. You can see the stats of the weapon by going to your inventory>weapons btw. My bound sword only does 58 base damage compared to my legendary sword that does 118. Pretty lame :/

Echoplx

Yup. DLC.. believe!!

I'd prefer a total conversion of Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, with seamless integration between the two areas.

Modders could probably do this with relative ease considering the land mass is mostly there, let's hope Creation Kit is good.

Wanace

Daggers can give you the biggest backstab damage multiplier in the game, so if you're going stealthy, then it's definitely worth it. I think you can get 30x damage with daggers, while with any other weapon your backstab is limited to 3x or 6x (not sure, I'm not stealthy.)

I'm really bummed that they didn't flesh out bound weapons. Stuff like a master spell that cost you x magicka/s with elemental enchantments and stuff would've been sweet or even master spells that cost a lot of magicka for permanent conjuration but it did more damage than the regular bound one. You can see the stats of the weapon by going to your inventory>weapons btw. My bound sword only does 58 base damage compared to my legendary sword that does 118. Pretty lame :/

58? How do you increase your bound sword damage so high? Mine does a mere 21. Or is it a function of Conjuration level?

ruxtpin

Banned
Started the Dark Brotherhood quest-line and began to realize after a few contracts that my sneak/stealth kill wasn't all that high; I wasn't having much luck lock-picking people's doors and then running to their bedroom and swinging a war-hammer. Then I remembered, 'Hey, I'm a werewolf' ... Now, once I identify and locate my target, I wait until they're sleeping and find quiet place all alone, turn to beast form and wreck their shit.

I'm the werewolf assassin.

Wanace

I'd prefer a total conversion of Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, with seamless integration between the two areas.

Modders could probably do this with relative ease considering the land mass is mostly there, let's hope Creation Kit is good.

If the landmass is there it should be cake to add Morrowind in to the game. At least the cities anyway. I'd love to explore Vivec and Ald'ruhn in Skyrim's engine. Hell, I'd settle for the island of Solstheim from Bloodmoon.

I'm really looking forward to the Creation Kit being released as well as the DLC when it comes out.

Ricker

Just wondering guys, it seems I lost in a Boss battle one of my followers,replaced him/her right away but I thought this was like Fallout in that they just fall uncounscious? because the new one I have seems to get stunned near death but he hasn't died yet....searched for the one that dissapeared on me where he/she usually goes but no one is there...I had stuff in his/her inventory,nothing major but I could of sold that lol...

Kurdel

Banned
Even at level 26, I stil get chills when I gear the theme song.

Best theme song in any videogame as far as I am concerned.

Mik2121

Uhm... I think this is a bug, and a pretty bad one at it..

Earlier I made my way to the top of the mountain where the Greybeards are and there was some stuff to mine. On the last piece, my character bugged out of the animation and I couldn't mine it. Didn't bother me because it happened before, but the issue is that now my character is all the time crouching, even though not sneaking. When I try to run I do the sneaking roll thing but I really don't know what's going on.

I have tried reloading the file, restarting my PS3, doing other animations like going to sleep but nothing fixes it. I always play with just one savefile so hopefully I'm not SOL...

Jintor

Goddamnit, followers, stop walking into trigger plate traps or running in front of me and getting sneak attacked by my arrows.

webrunner

Just wondering guys, it seems I lost in a Boss battle one of my followers,replaced him/her right away but I thought this was like Fallout in that they just fall uncounscious? because the new one I have seems to get stunned near death but he hasn't died yet....searched for the one that dissapeared on me where he/she usually goes but no one is there...I had stuff in his/her inventory,nothing major but I could of sold that lol...

Your followers will, in most cases, kneel down. During one boss fight
end of the mage college quest line
they can get frozen and fall over, but won't be dead.

If they actually fall down they're dead-dead. This only seems to occur by damage you cause and by enemy poison.

As an aside, they don't seem to be hurt by fall damage much either. I saw my Fiancee's lydia get hit by a giant and come running later.

Zeliard

If your follower goes down in combat you can get them back up quickly again by healing them with a spell, i.e. Healing Hands. If you're up against something nasty that sends them running and cowering in fear, use Courage to keep them tanking.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm stuck.

I want to clear Avanchnzel. I completed the Unfathomable Depths quest but I'm in the boilery and I can't seem to clear it. There's a gate and I don't know how to open it. Beneath the floor there is a Dwemer Spider. I just can't seem to get down there. Anyone?

Top Bottom