• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flowers of Evil (Aku no Hana) |OT| There's a rotoscoped SHIT EATER in all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pacing of episode 5 was a little too stretched, in my opinion, but I did appreciate all the Studio Pablo backgrounds that getting out into the different environments of the city brought out. It did a good job showing the awkwardness of a first date and two people trying to get to know each other, especially the contrast between Kasuga's general silence and the torrent of speech unleashed when he got onto his favorite subject of books. It's a very realistic depiction of human interaction. I feel bad for Saeki; she seems very lonely and vulnerable, and I can't see any result of her getting dragged into the twisted game Nakamura and Kasuga have going on other than pain.

Speaking of Nakamura, well! Her behavior this episode was rather amusing and reminds you that she is still a kid. The whole situation definitely feels like kids playing at being adults, but they lack the maturity to be responsible.

The tight close-ups were effective at pulling out the erotic attraction that Kasuga, for all his protest, obviously does feel towards Saeki.

Really liked the changes made to the ED song to bring out Kasuga's happier, if still troubled, mood at the end of the episode.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 5

akunohana5.jpg

sasasasasasa~

This really nailed down just how awkward a first date is, especially for two children still going through the throw's of puberty. What made it even better though was the constant glimpses of Nakamura's cruel and playful attitude as she kept an ever watching eye on her tormented prey.
The climax was handled far better than I was expecting too as the constant replay of what just happened at multiple angles with Saeki's shocked reaction playing over and over again really made that even more hilarious than it was in the original.
The newer arrangement of the ED with the slightly rosier tone to it was really fitting and yet still just as unnerving as the first one was, if not a little more so due to the cognitive dissonance of it all.

These next two episodes are going to be fucking amazing!!!

Episode 5:

Jeez what an awful and awkward date. So boring.

Also I don't get Saeki at all. If some guy started crying and saying "I'm so happy!" because I accepted a platonic non-romantic relationship I'd be creeped out and never speak to them again.

Necrovex

Aku no Hana 5

See, Forever-Alone Gaf, if Kasuga can enter a relationship, so can you. The date was awkward as shit, and he scored big time (well as much as you can expect for middle school kids).

And I laughed pretty hard with Nakamura going sasasasasasasasasa.

This episode also taught me how vastly different the Japanese language is compared to English. During the whole, "if you don't mind if it's me" part, I was listening to the pronunciation. Besides one syllable in that sentence (de, I believe was the syllable), I could have seen that sentence being translated in another way.

Read the entire manga last weekend, it wasn't bad. I'm curious if they'll attempt to tell the entire story in 26 episodes.

At the speed the show is going, I don't think it will cover all of the manga.

Side note, is the manga even done yet? I have only read the official English releases.

Epcott

Aku no Hana 5

See, Forever-Alone Gaf, if Kasuga can enter a relationship, so can you. The date was awkward as shit, and he scored big time (well as much as you can expect for middle school kids).

And I laughed pretty hard with Nakamura going sasasasasasasasasa.

This episode also taught me how vastly different the Japanese language is compared to English. During the whole, "if you don't mind if it's me" part, I was listening to the pronunciation. Besides one syllable in that sentence (de, I believe was the syllable), I could have seen that sentence being translated in another way.

At the speed the show is going, I don't think it will cover all of the manga.

Side note, is the manga even done yet? I have only read the official English releases.

My coworker asked the same question. If the final chapter involves
Kasuga-kun having the balls and resolve to finally ask out a particular someone
, I assume that is ending.

Only 13 episodes, eh? Hope there's a season 2 unless they plan on ending it on a "wtf" moment.

Episode 5

Nakamura's sasasasasa killed me. That said the last few minutes were gripping and they always seem to know what the best place to start up the credits music is.

The Japanese have some strange pick-up lines. I didn't know that
"I want to have a pure and platonic relationship with you" was a good way to ask a girl out.

The Japanese have some strange pick-up lines. I didn't know that
"I want to have a pure and platonic relationship with you" was a good way to ask a girl out.

I think maybe the meaning is slightly different to what it implies in English? Like in that instance it meant a proper relationship as oppose to having just a sexual thing?

I think maybe the meaning is slightly different to what it implies in English? Like in that instance it meant a proper relationship as oppose to having just a sexual thing?

I'm pretty sure it means exactly what it means in English: a chaste, asexual relationship. This is consistent with Kasuga's immersion in old European literature and poetry, and his idealization of Saeki as the embodiment of purity and innocence. He doesn't want to profane her with the lusts of the flesh; having sexual intercourse with her would destroy the very reason he became attracted to her.

Necrovex

I'm pretty sure it means exactly what it means in English: a chaste, asexual relationship. This is consistent with Kasuga's immersion in old European literature and poetry, and his idealization of Saeki as the embodiment of purity and innocence. He doesn't want to profane her with the lusts of the flesh; having sexual intercourse with her would destroy the very reason he became attracted to her.

Major manga spoilers (Volume 5):
Man, it will be interesting to watch Saeki go all fucking crazy and attempt to rape Kasuga. I remember reading that part in a bookstore, and I felt so fucking awkward, as I aimed to go through those parts as quickly as possible.

Could be. Maybe it just doesn't translate very well.

That makes sense, since Kasuga is such a wierdo. But I don't know why the girl goes along with it so easily and doesn't ask him what the fuck he's talking about.

duckroll

Episode 5

That sure was awkward for Kasuga. Poor bastard, lol. Slow episode though. I liked some scenes (sasasasasa, the bookstore, and the angels) but overall I find that the series is starting to take its toll on me. After 5 episodes, nothing much has really happened, and the crux of the drama is getting repetitive. We know Kasuga is insecure and he has a crunch on Saeki, and we know that Nakamura is a wacko who's trying to mess with him. If it continues this way for much longer, it's going to get stale, so I hope the narrative starts to pick up the pace soon.

Episode 5

That sure was awkward for Kasuga. Poor bastard, lol. Slow episode though. I liked some scenes (sasasasasa, the bookstore, and the angels) but overall I find that the series is starting to take its toll on me. After 5 episodes, nothing much has really happened, and the crux of the drama is getting repetitive. We know Kasuga is insecure and he has a crunch on Saeki, and we know that Nakamura is a wacko who's trying to mess with him. If it continues this way for much longer, it's going to get stale, so I hope the narrative starts to pick up the pace soon.

While I partially agree with you in that I found this episode to be padded, I do think it and episode 4 did a good job at expanding the character drama by giving us some actual insight into Saeki's personality.

Episode 5

This is definitely a "shit hits the fan" series. I just don't remember when it happens in relation to where we are. I think it's pretty soon.

Episode 6

This really is some fine psychological horror.

I let out an audible yelp when Nakamura sneaked up on Kasuga as he was ringing that doorbell. And that door opening into blackness...
What a perfect last shot. I can't wait for the next episode.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 6

akunohana6.jpg

Oh man, this episode exceeded my expectations quite a bit especially the last shot which was just masterful. Next week can't come soon enough.

Soma

Aku no Hana 5-6

i1GNA3bKd31hK.jpg

I feel like she's getting cuter every episode. Unf Unf, etc.

Man this show can be a challenge to get through at times. Took me almost an hour to get through episode 6 as I felt the need to pause through several scenes. And I say that in the nicest way possible because the tension and awkwardness is so well done. Almost any scene with Nakamura in it has me audibly saying "Ohhhh fuck what's she up to now?" lol

Excited to see how the next episode goes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aku no Hana 6

Another example of why this show is the best anime of the season. I think I'm in love with the rotoscoped look now.

(for you, wonzo!)

Guess Who

Banned
Not watching the anime, but I read the whole manga up to the latest chapter last night and holy shit. I can't remember the last time I got so in to a manga. Each month waiting for the next chapter is going to be painful.

The main kid better be a real, serious pervert at heart, or some sort of ultra-religious type or the Japanese better be puritan level conservative, otherwise this show makes no sense.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The main kid better be a real, serious pervert at heart, or some sort of ultra-religious type or the Japanese better be puritan level conservative, otherwise this show makes no sense.
On the contrary, I think Kasuga's characterisation fits the "nice guy" phenomenon perfectly.

duckroll

Episode 6

This story is really painful to watch. Kasuga is such a wimp it's really unbelievable how he even made it to where he is at this point without getting run over by everyone. If only he had a bit more self confidence instead of being so paranoid about everything, none of this would be happening to him!

TCRS

Banned
Yes, that's the kind of animes I like. Realistic style, serious, brilliant soundtrack (I love the ending) and great story. What a psychopathic bitch that girl lol, I feel sorry for Kasuga.

This also makes me want to read more books. Actually I think I'm going to read The Flowers of Evil by Baudelaire.

Any more of these types of anime? For reference I also like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Welcome to the NHK. That's actually all the animes I have ever properly watched.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 7

akunohana7.jpg

It was this scene that pretty much sold me on the manga when I first read it. It was when I knew that I was reading something truly special, the kind of thing that doesn't come around as often as it should. The fact that this adaptation not only met my unrealistically high expectations for this scene but actually managed to exceed them has pretty much blown me away all over again.

This is the greatest thing.

Dresden

Other anime may as well pack it up; nothing this season is going to hit the highs this episode did. That climax. Goddamn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aku no Hana 7

Holy fucking shit.

Best episode. Best show of the season. Best show of the year. Fuck fuck fuck, this was sooooooooo good.

The manga can't compete. This episode was perfection on every level. The ending was jaw to the floor so damn good. The mood and atmosphere in the show is completely unmatched.

This was seriously the best episode of anime I've watched in years. I honestly cannot believe there are shiteaters out there who can't comprehend how fucking great this show is.

While the new version of the ED song stole the episode musically, the piece of music that starts when Kasuga leaves his house at night is also really good.

Now the question is, will they be able to top that?!

I find it difficult to believe that could happen. Few TV shows can boast of a moment where everything up to that point coalesces into a utterly satisfying culmination that sums up the themes and character work that the show has been about. Even fewer can boast multiple such moments. But we'll see!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The splooge of
destruction
... oh wow.

Please tell me that the anime is not gonna end at a random point of the manga. I need conclusion.

The splooge of
destruction
... oh wow.

Please tell me that the anime is not gonna end at a random point of the manga. I need conclusion.

I can't see anyway they get to what I would consider a good stopping point at the pace they are going right now. After this part its pretty much non-stop shit hitting the fan. Basically, I'm saying you should read the manga after the anime finishes because its really good!

I don't know what the fuck I just watched but I love it. Love it love it love it love it love it.

Jeeeeeeeesus christ. I am going to read the manga after this anime finishes.

I hope the anime really picks up the pace from this point onwards - if they montage a lot of the less important stuff they can cover a huge amount of time in the second half of the anime - now the groundwork for the character dynamics and whatnot has been set, they can go a bit crazy with it.
A part of me thinks the anime will divert from the manga and have its own ending, unless a second season is in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom