• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flowers of Evil (Aku no Hana) |OT| There's a rotoscoped SHIT EATER in all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, episode three was disappointing. No one hears or sees this sexual assault going on? No one hears the two of them screaming at each other in a library? The main kid is so weak that this girl can strip him naked and he can't do anything about it? smh.

So Episode 4.

Favorite musical moment: When Saeki accepts Kasuga's proposal for a date, out of the after-school din emerges the sound of a trumpet player practicing scales, ascending higher and higher, mirroring the joy awakening within Kasuga's heart. Nice use of diegetic music.

Favorite visual moment: At the end, while Saeki and Kasuga are walking off to go on their date, the ED song kicks in and Nakamura's black shadow slowly enters the frame, blotting out Saeki's white figure, looming over Kasuga.

ucHtFF0.jpg

It's this kind of inventive framing, conveying something meaningful about the character relations, that shows the mind of a skilled, thoughtful director at work. In general I was impressed at the way Nakamura was shot in this episode; she's given such an imposing presence that her shocking actions are made believable.

Favorite background art: The town at night. Studio Pablo is doing a great job pulling out its dilapidation with its copious rust.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like a strong breeze is all it'd take to make the buildings collapse in on the street.

Favorite character moment: When Kasuga asks if Nakamura is jealous of Saeki, and she laughs in his face and basically says "This isn't that kind of story."

T5j29Fw.jpg

This is a moment that puts the lie to M_Night's School Days comparison. This isn't a story where the guy bones all the girls and they go axe-crazy from jealousy. Nakamura is a much more interesting character than that. She has a fundamental belief in the depravity of humanity and her overriding motive is to tease out that depravity from Kasuga and see it in action.

Jex

Episode 4

The highest compliment I can pay this show is that watching it makes me feel genuinely uncomfortable. Kasuga's pathetic story continues to spiral ever downwards with no bottom in site and I can't tear myself away. It's like watching a human disaster unfold in slow-motion.

The story clearly wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is if the characters weren't so believably written. As I've mentioned on multiple occasions, Kasuga's entirely pathetic existence is so compelling and at the same time so painful because of how close it hits to home. Kasuga is a teenager at his lowest possible point, except all the time.

Between how realistically the characters act, the cinematography which is straight from a live-action production, and the unusual look of the work you almost forget you're watching an anime, because there really isn't anything else like this in the medium. Of course, it isn't like Japanese live action in that it doesn't look terrible.

My personal two favourite moments in this episode are purely the result of great voice work. The first one would be Kasuga's pathetic whimpers as he slumps on the floor. The second would Nakamura's crazy animalistic howls in the bathroom.

fertygo

Well, episode three was disappointing. No one hears or sees this sexual assault going on? No one hears the two of them screaming at each other in a library? The main kid is so weak that this girl can strip him naked and he can't do anything about it? smh.
Its basically a bully story now.
Bullying is all about mental, when you already got dominated its over..

Despera

Banned
Episode 4

The story clearly wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is if the characters weren't so believably written. As I've mentioned on multiple occasions, Kasuga's entirely pathetic existence is so compelling and at the same time so painful because of how close it hits to home. Kasuga is a teenager at his lowest possible point, except all the time.
I think now that Saeki actually started going out with Kasuga, he's willing to do anything to hide what he's done. I'm trying to rationalize his situation with Nakamura, but honestly, who would put up with shit like that? Kasuga's character may be a bit more messed up than I initially anticipated, since his reactions, or lack thereof, seemed so damn unrealistic.

And I don't know why, but I have a feeling Saeki is hiding a fucked up secret of her own as well.

Can't wait for the next ep. Really wanna see what's gonna happen next.

I think now that Saeki actually started going out with Kasuga, he's willing to do anything to hide what he's done. I'm trying to rationalize his situation with Nakamura, but honestly, who would put up with shit like that?

Why do people put up with abusive spouses? You underestimate the ability of a forceful personality to dominate a weaker one.

sonicmj1

Episode 4

Great again. I like how the plot is developing.

I know it bothers some people how weak Kasuga acts, and they're frustrated that he doesn't stand up for himself. I guess it can be frustrating to watch weak characters be weak (it's a feeling I certainly have experienced watching anime in the past), but the show has spent a lot of time establishing how little confidence Kasuga has in himself, as well as how forceful Nakamura's personality is. Even going back to the first episode, when she calls the teacher a shithead to his face and gets away with it, you can see she's mentally tough to oppose.

iuvKpkgTcXrHw.jpg

Kasuga goes through a wider range of emotions in this episode than he has at any other point, and I really liked this moment in particular. He's so surprised by what just happened that he can't deal with it.

I feel like the show's use of rotoscoping has gotten better since the first episode. The techniques haven't changed, but they seem to have a greater understanding of how to avoid shots that demonstrate the style's weaknesses. So, for example, we're not seeing characters' faces appear mid-shot, and I think there are less long shots of motionless background characters as well. Instead, there are a lot more closeups, like the quick cuts during the scene when Kasuga enters the classroom.

It's probably easier to say this about a show that depends so much on building an oppressive mood through direction, but Aku no Hana consistently impresses me more than any other show this season.

Is the full ED out yet? It honestly should have been the OP.

And miss out on all the great transitions into the ED? No way.

Anyone else like the new OP? I dig it.

Yeah. I didn't like the first OP much - it was actually the only part of the production that really bothered me and took me out of the mood of the rest of the show. The second OP is great though, it feels more in line with the twisted nature of current events and it is so perfect for Nakamura's character.

Saw the first three episodes so far and I'm really digging it. So much so that I grabbed the five currently-available volumes of the manga.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 4

akunohana4.jpg

One thing I've noticed with this series is the gradually faster pacing in each and every single episode. It really adds to the overall tone of Kasuga's never-ending sense of despair and self-loathing as Nakamura's demands become increasingly more sick and twisted than the last. Well, that and the more frequent use of the music in this show which is really the standout element thanks to just how unnerving it is.

Also it's good to see the new OP stick to the incredibly self-loathing theme the first one set!

Dresden

episode 4 -

Man, dat narrative structure. It's so elegant. I don't want to spoil the episode and it's somewhat tedious to recount it, but it's so well paced and set.

Kasuga really is obsessed with symbols and rituals, isn't he? Just as the keeping, and reading, of books has become a talisman of sorts for him, he deals with the stolen gym uniforms by locking them away with a scrap of poetry, a step forward, as he sees it, to moving on away from that unfortunate event. It's definitely reflective of a mind that's subsumed in the habit of recognizing patterns and metaphors, but as of yet, cannot quite understand their import asides from the importance of maintaining them.

The show has always had great backgrounds, but the incredible sordidness of the ones in this episode were especially impressive. It's one thing to portray beauty, but another to build up atmosphere in such a way, the sheer griminess of everything.

And the rotoscoping is getting better as we go. I am so hyped for what is to come. The tone of the show has been darker, more intense, and the way (the potential) for things to spiral out of control is exciting stuff.

As a ending note, note the irony of Nakamura talking about taking away Kasuga's walls, as she constructs them around herself.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think now that Saeki actually started going out with Kasuga, he's willing to do anything to hide what he's done. I'm trying to rationalize his situation with Nakamura, but honestly, who would put up with shit like that? Kasuga's character may be a bit more messed up than I initially anticipated, since his reactions, or lack thereof, seemed so damn unrealistic.

And I don't know why, but I have a feeling Saeki is hiding a fucked up secret of her own as well.

Can't wait for the next ep. Really wanna see what's gonna happen next.
You underestimate the power of emotional abuse. He's also a teenager, mot an adult, so his own self worth is constantly in question.

I look at this as a pretty gripping tale of teenage life. Kids gang up on the weird kid and pin things on them. The protagonist lacks the confidence to stand up for himself. Each character has built someone else in their mind as someone they're not.

I look back on my years as a teenager many moons ago, and sympathize.

hteng

Banned
Nakamura too stronk

I feel so much empathy for her. Maybe it's because she's a ball of depression :p

she's the exact opposite of depression, she's a very strong will character. If you are hoping she'll
eventually break down and cry and be a good girl then you are gonna be disappointed.

TCRS

Banned
I don't know a thing about anime but I love this sort of realistic drawing style. Gonna check it out.

Earlier this morning, after airing episode 4 on Nicovideo, they also showed the pre-rotoscoped live-action footage recorded for episode 3:

Soooo weird!
I'm not sure I could watch if it was a live action show.

I assumed they filmed the actors, rotoscoped them and placed them onto drawn backdrops but it seems they shoot the entire thing live action, backgrounds and all.....?
That makes a lot more sense actually as I often wondered when watching about 'weight' as in when characters lean on things, etc. Seemed really well lined up for what I thought were actors being placed into an entirely artificial backdrop.

EDIT: Post above me answers my question :lol

no episode this week ;_;

That's not strictly true. Animax, which has been the earliest station airing each episode at Fridays at 10, appears to have postponed episode 5 a week. Perhaps it was superseded by Golden Week programming. But Tokyo MX looks to be showing episode 5 in its normal slot on Saturday at 1:30 AM, and it'll be the earliest station airing each episode from now on.

Crunchyroll will stream episode 5 on Monday as usual.

------

In other news, the PV for the full OP song by Uchujin has been released on Youtube. It's fitting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oof, the ending to episode 4. This show leaves a weight in the pit of my stomach with all the tension.

God damn I love this show.

Favorite musical moment: When Saeki accepts Kasuga's proposal for a date, out of the after-school din emerges the sound of a trumpet player practicing scales, ascending higher and higher, mirroring the joy awakening within Kasuga's heart. Nice use of diegetic music.

This was my favorite part of the episode. Very very well done.

Well, that and the last 15 seconds of the episode, with the ending theme starting up. Oof.

fertygo

Soooo weird!
I'm not sure I could watch if it was a live action show.

I assumed they filmed the actors, rotoscoped them and placed them onto drawn backdrops but it seems they shoot the entire thing live action, backgrounds and all.....?
That makes a lot more sense actually as I often wondered when watching about 'weight' as in when characters lean on things, etc. Seemed really well lined up for what I thought were actors being placed into an entirely artificial backdrop.

EDIT: Post above me answers my question :lol

The background is hand-made/drawn that I know.

duckroll

Episode 4

The show's doing a great job of capturing the unpleasant uncomfortable atmosphere, but I feel there isn't really much to talk about on an episode to episode basis. It's well directed, the rotoscope stuff still looks off at times, and the character interactions are intriguing. I think those are the same things I've been saying for the last 3 episodes. :(

These scenes were amusing for the wrong reason though:

Really? I certainly can't tell going by the visuals!!! :p

Episode 5 Bahahahaha Nakamura really cracked me up in this one
sasasasasasa
the running away once she threw the bucket of water on him
hahaha

Also, I loved the
subtle changes of the ED to reflect his elation at Nakamura leaving him alone

A few iffy face pop ins and what the heck is that guy 'tashe in the book store lol

This show really feels like an extended movie and I love that about it. I'm excited about where it goes next. I think after next weeks episode everything goes up to a whole different level.

Dennis

Banned
Episode 5 Bahahahaha Nakamura really cracked me up in this one
sasasasasasa
the running away once she threw the bucket of water on him
hahaha

Also, I loved the
subtle changes of the ED to reflect his elation at Nakamura leaving him alone

A few iffy face pop ins and what the heck is that guy 'tashe in the book store lol

This show really feels like an extended movie and I love that about it. I'm excited about where it goes next. I think after next weeks episode everything goes up to a whole different level.

I thought there was a weeks break?

Dresden

I thought there was a weeks break?

Nah, it was just Animax, as hosanna explained.

That's not strictly true. Animax, which has been the earliest station airing each episode at Fridays at 10, appears to have postponed episode 5 a week. Perhaps it was superseded by Golden Week programming. But Tokyo MX looks to be showing episode 5 in its normal slot on Saturday at 1:30 AM, and it'll be the earliest station airing each episode from now on.

Crunchyroll will stream episode 5 on Monday as usual.

Go_Ly_Dow

Aku no Hana 5

FUCK YOU NAKAMURA. FUCK YOU.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiettttt. That was incredibly gripping edge of your seat stuff.

Amazing.

Epcott

Read the entire manga last weekend, it wasn't bad. I'm curious if they'll attempt to tell the entire story in 26 episodes.

fertygo

The 5th episode kinda boring, but holy shit the last 5 minute was amazing.. it like the whole episode build up for that.

I'm shocked and LMAO at that scene where Nakamura randomly crush the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom