• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Omiee

man all this red bull news is killing me, its going to be a pain to watch the season start i guess.

cant have it all the time but i really hope they bounch back asap

Mastah

Top speeds from yesterday:

1. Alonso 336.4 km/h
2. Magnussen 330.2 km/h
3. Massa 327.2 km/h

Renault-powered cars:

Vergne 308.5 km/h
Vettel 301.6 km/h
Kobayashi 301.5 km/h

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder if the Renault-powered cars are using ERS at all. IIRC, Scarbs said it is disabled for the time being?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Button is engaged Jessica

Laps by manufacturer (day 3)
Mercedes : 342 (Bottas did 55 without setting lap time)
Ferrari: 144
Renault: 209

Redbull struggles in the beginning
Starts clawing back before summer break
Catch up during the break
Vettel starts winning
Double points kick in and Vettel wins the title by 1 point at the finale

WHO'S WITH ME!?

Would be entertaining, but if the engine is still screwed at the start of the season then it'll be screwed until the next homologation.

Hasney

Don't ruin my dreams. I want to see mass meltdown on here.

I think if that were the case, we'd all applaud a good season and the fact that the double points may have kept the title race alive.

Another dominant season would see more meltdowns.

This is year will come down to Lewis and Fernando.

Think Kimi, Rosberg and Button will be there or thereabouts. Think the team battle between Kimi and Alonso may end up hampering Ferrari in the drivers race at least

Quite tempted to put an outside bet on Massa finishing in the top 5 for the season.

NHale

This is year will come down to Lewis and Fernando.

I have a feeling this will be a Nico vs. Jenson. Nico's driving style seems to fit more with the conservative/take care of your car in a year where reliability will be key than Lewis "I always go fast as I can" approach.

And I hope my predictions is true and Jenson wins it for all the reasons. Even Ron Dennis would have to suck his thumb that a car done under Whitmarsh reign would be a world champion car.

Williams could surprise this year

They can at the start. But after the 1st third they will probably drop off due to lack of budget to develop the car (compared to RBR/Merc/Ferrari)

Goldrusher

Kobayashi in a Japanese interview:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=54599

• the speed difference to Merc is so big that I feel as if my heart would stop
• (on massive speed different)...to the extent I almost turn my steering wheel out of surprise. It's scary and shocking actually
• (the differece/improvements in Renault engine from Jerez) just that the strange vibration is gone
• At this rate, better bring GP2 car for Melbourne.
• Make the transponder detachable and carry it and run by myself would give greater chance of scoring points

however,
• the fact that Caterham giving more mileage to Renault engine than any other teams is positive thing in terms of contributing to Renault's effort of overcoming current difficulties
• willing to help the development for Renault as much as possible

(from Autosport's forums)

DD

They can at the start. But after the 1st third they will probably drop off due to lack of budget to develop the car (compared to RBR/Merc/Ferrari)
They now have lots of new sponsors, and Maldonado's money for leaving before the end of the contract. It seems that money won't be an issue.

ramparter

Banned
Redbull struggles in the beginning
Starts clawing back before summer break
Catch up during the break
Vettel starts winning
Double points kick in and Vettel wins the title by 1 point at the finale

WHO'S WITH ME!?
Could happen if McLaren and Mercedes both have realiability issues that won't allow them build a huge points gap.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
woop, there goes the 1.34.xx barrier. on to the 1.32.xx times. what was the niveau last year again? not far off now, right?

Pole position last year: 1:32:330

And I think that Rosberg will go into 1:32:xxx today.

Again very few laps from Ferrari powered teams this morning. No sign of Marussia and Sauber with chasis problems

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes with 3rd engine cover in the first Bahrain test. Looks like they are pushing like crazy with developments.

NHale

The huge gap in power and cars suddenly appearing side by side will probably what will save Renault this year.

They can't change parts of the engine after Feb 28th except for reliability and safety reasons. The problem now is not entirely reliability but performance wise too and if the gap is a safety problem they will be allowed to change them.

If they can't it will be a very long season for RBR, STR, Lotus and Caterham...

John_B

Mercedes should extent no mercy. Red Bull has outmaneuvered everyone on bending the ruleset for the last five seasons. Not much was done to align that performance, and now that they are looking at races full of blue flags, it's tough shit. Ride the season out. And if anything it would be nice to see the cool and controlled Vettel thrown into some tough trials.

Mercedes should extent no mercy. Red Bull has outmaneuvered everyone on bending the ruleset for the last five seasons. Not much was done to align that performance, and now that they are looking at races full of blue flags, it's tough shit. Ride the season out. And if anything it would be nice to see the cool and controlled Vettel thrown into some tough trials.

You're looking it from the wrong perspective. Making all cars with Renault engines to obsolete pieces of shit is not healthy for the Formula 1.

John_B

You're looking it from the wrong perspective. Making all cars with Renault engines to obsolete pieces of shit is not healthy for the Formula 1.
What I'm trying to say is FIA should not do something drastic to help the Renault teams be competitive halfway through the 2014 season. Last season Mercedes was preparing for exactly this moment while Red Bull couldn't help themselves and went for everything after the summer break.

Now surely, if Renault is fucked by summer still, FIA should let them change their power unit for 2015, along with those dumb noses.

Last season Mercedes was preparing for exactly this moment while Red Bull couldn't help themselves and went for everything after the summer break.

You're mistaking a Renault problem for a Red Bull problem. As it stands, the Renault engine is a shitbox (they can't run it at full power without it destroying parts) and it's holding back all of the teams using it.

Look at the lapcount again today (from a bit earlier):

Mercedes teams: 194 laps
Renault teams: 57 laps.

That's ignoring the six second difference in laptime of course.

What I'm trying to say is FIA should not do something drastic to help the Renault teams be competitive halfway through the 2014 season. Last season Mercedes was preparing for exactly this moment while Red Bull couldn't help themselves and went for everything after the summer break.

Now surely, if Renault is fucked by summer still, FIA should let them change their power unit for 2015, along with those dumb noses.

There is a difference between a team and an engine supplier.

I get your point but it would only mean that Red Bull will have a bad year and that it would be the last year for Lotus and Caterham.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes ends testing 45 minutes before the end due to unknown malfunction of Rosberg's car after race sim. Still, 89 laps completed.
They managed huge amount of laps with this material - looks like they were running the same engine and ERS for whole test.

John_B

You're mistaking a Renault problem for a Red Bull problem. As it stands, the Renault engine is a shitbox (they can't run it at full power without it destroying parts) and it's holding back all of the teams using it.

There is a difference between a team and an engine supplier.
I understand and it sucks for the four teams being supplied by Renault. FIA doing something drastic to make Lotus and Red Bull competitive, if it's clear that they won't be able to over the season, would piss on the work of Mercedes and Ferrari.

But just to be clear, if all the Renault units pop come Melbourne, I don't have a problem with FIA letting Renault fix them. I'm talking about changing the rules (engine power/mappings/fuel consumption etc.) or letting Renault improve the power unit in such a way that it will close a performance gap. They will simply have to weather this season if they are not competitive. The power of the units will be aligned over a couple of years.

As has already been said, if they go to the Australian GP with their current output then the Renault teams wont last the year. Hell, in many cases they wont even be able to do 107% to start the race.

Mastah

Kimi binned it:

BhFVuRdCEAEtc0x.jpg:large

Nicktendo86

So, lets jump to conclusions. Mercedes are waaaaay ahead, will be 1.3 secs faster than the pack come Melbourne. McLaren are second, but will catch up quickly. Ferarri are some ways back, will be fighting with Williams but will have superior reliability. Renault teams, lol.

85% of this has been pulled from my arse.

Edit: oh dear Kimi.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sky have a roundup of Day 4 news with them mentioning they have heard rumours of a b-spec car RB10 for Spanish GP in May.

Mercedes by having the time and money are clearly ahead, McLaren by having a bad car last year with no development potential are also reaping the rewards too. Same could be said for Williams.
Or is all be the Marc engine package too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Laps by manufacturer, final day of first Bahrain test

Mercedes 258
Ferrari 92
Renault 114

------
Final lap count and mileage for manufacturer in Bahrain test #1

Mercedes 1144 / 6191 km
Ferrari 553 / 2992 km
Renault 608 / 3290 km

Laps by manufacturer, final day of first Bahrain test

Mercedes 258
Ferrari 92
Renault 114

------
Final lap count and mileage for manufacturer in Bahrain test #1

Mercedes 1144 / 6191 km
Ferrari 553 / 2992 km
Renault 608 / 3290 km

Renault has a broken package and still managed to get more mileage than Ferrari. Hilarious stuff.

Top Bottom