• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari is slacking again, I see.

To be fair, they have only three teams - factory team, Sauber and Marussia.
Mercedes is having major lap count with Williams, Force India, Mclaren and factory team
Renault had first 'successful' day today with all teams, sans Lotus, doing 50+ laps.

To be fair, they have only three teams - factory team, Sauber and Marussia.
Mercedes is having major lap count with Williams, Force India, Mclaren and factory team
Renault had first 'successful' day today with all teams, sans Lotus, doing 50+ laps.

Williams alone did over 116 laps today. Ferrari needs to keep up with them.

NHale

Bernie Ecclestone backs Vladimir Putin on gay rights issue

Sochi, Russia (CNN) -- Vilified by the international community for his government's attitude on gay rights, Russian president Vladimir Putin has found himself an ally in Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Putin's government, whose recently-introduced anti-gay legislation -- which prohibits spreading so-called "gay" propaganda to minors -- has been a focal point of critics.

Opponents argue that the law enacted last year is in contravention to the spirit of the Olympic Games, with the Winter version being hosted this month by the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi.

But in an exclusive interview with CNN, Ecclestone says he "completely agrees" with Putin's policy towards homosexuals.

"He hasn't said he doesn't agree (with homosexuality) just that he doesn't want these things publicized to an audience under the age of 18,
" said Ecclestone, arguing critics had misrepresented Putin.

More here: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/20/s...hi-formula-one/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

This coming from someone that allows alcohol and tobacco branding in F1 cars. At least be coherent and say the sport is rated for 18+ only and as such only be able to be televised after 1am. Or all of this is just a repayment to Putin after he greased Bernie's palms?

And I believe we found who contacted Lotus F1 team and asked them to remove the tweet.

Goldrusher

Looks like Force India added some more color to the front and rear wings:

Jerez this week:

bahr-hulk-forc-2014-886x590.jpg

Jerez last month:

forc-pere-jere-2014-41-886x590.jpg

Mastah

Nope, Renault still has huge problems:

"This is what we have in our hand right now so we have to help them to be able to fight with the other engine manufacturers," said Kobayashi when asked by AUTOSPORT about the engine situation.

"At the moment, we are definitely too weak pace-wise, so we give the maximum chance to them [to work] and thereafter we have to work on our car.

"So we are waiting for the engine system.

"During testing, we meet some other cars and clearly we can see the Mercedes cars are much quicker in the straights, 20-30km/h more and it would mean different braking points, everything, if we had proper power.

"We will see what we can do in a short time. At the moment, we are definitely quite late."

"We had many problems on the engine side," he said.

"This is what we are basically waiting for because we have too aggressive power delivery, which is very difficult to handle under acceleration out of the corner.

"So at the moment, slow corners are very difficult because we don't know how much grip we can get."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112590

Dead Man

Bernie Ecclestone backs Vladimir Putin on gay rights issue

More here: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/20/s...hi-formula-one/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

This coming from someone that allows alcohol and tobacco branding in F1 cars. At least be coherent and say the sport is rated for 18+ only and as such only be able to be televised after 1am. Or all of this is just a repayment to Putin after he greased Bernie's palms?

And I believe we found who contacted Lotus F1 team and asked them to remove the tweet.

That's not going to inspire me to spend any money on F1 related purchases.

Renault runners still don't seem to be putting in a massive number of laps. At least not compared to what the Merc engined cars did in the first test.

John_B

Mercedes looks very comfortable, and Red Bull was bringing out the flo-viz earlier? I wouldn't count them out of the Championship, they might return after the summer very strong, but Australia probably won't be pretty for them.

Don't worry.

"What happened @Pastormaldo ? 'It just stopped'"

I chuckled.

Speaking of Lotus and going slightly off-topic with this. "Lotus Motorcyles" (I wonder who owns that one) announced a new superbike prototype yesterday.

htJkK84.jpg

TqQrf6S.jpg

Designed by the guy who did the Lightcycles for the 2010 Tron sequel.

Funny, but somehow I doubt the engineers are doing much laughing.

At least it's not related to the Renault engine.

"Car is back - looks like something's not quite right with the gearbox so time to investigate"

e: Also, it looks like Mercedes is definitely the team to beat this season. New Red Bull and all.
"#F1 Mercedes still on top: HAM 1:34.263 on soft tyres. BUT just set a 1:34.976 on supersoft"

Meanwhile Kimi sits around and has to wait another hour for the mechanics to fix the telemetry problem on his car.
"#F1 Raikkonen hit by telemetry trouble. Ferrari engineers hope he will go out again in 1 hour."

Ferrari should sack the car and concentrate on the 2015 model. It's the only way.

Nicktendo86

Yeah merc and McLaren are own their own at the most, merc seem faster but everyone who sees the cars say the McLaren looks better/more stable so we will see. I think Ferrari will be nowhere to be honest.

Nicktendo86

Current amount of laps done by Renault powered teams:

Ricciardo 28 laps. Maldonado 19 laps. Kvyat 43 laps. Ericsson 72 laps

Maldonado just broke down on his intallation lap, after spending two hours in the pits. Lotus are in serious shit.

mclem

Ricciardo 28 laps. Maldonado 19 laps. Kvyat 43 laps. Ericsson 72 laps

Caterham just tweeted why Ericsson's been so busy:

75 laps now completed for @Ericsson_Marcus which means he's passed the 300km mark required by the FIA to qualify for his Superlicence.

I'm a little surprised they hadn't done that earlier; wouldn't they have been in some quite remarkable doodoos if the Renault hadn't come together in time for him to get that?

Caterham just tweeted why Ericsson's been so busy:

I'm a little surprised they hadn't done that earlier; wouldn't they have been in some quite remarkable doodoos if the Renault hadn't come together in time for him to get that?

Yeah, but think about the money Caterham is saving this season! A rookie for a standard rookie salary of 500,000 per year and an experienced pro who's driving for free! Can't beat that.

ramparter

Banned
I remember being dissappointed that Hulk didn't go to Lotus. Not anymore.

edit
Starting to suspect there's a hidden 7th cylinder in dat mercedes engine.

Pimpwerx

I hope my prediction last week comes true. I predicted Merc to be the team to beat. This is actually why I wanted Lewis to make the move. His run last year was really a bonus because the real goal was joining the right team for the V6 era. I hope he can have a run of success like Seb has. PEACE.

Top Bottom