• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

I will never start to like Vettel.

Situation might get different when Hamilton matches his 4 titles, but I'm never rooting for him before that.

Never!

I feel the same way brother.

I'm happy Ferrari are sorting their shit out and it may not be another Mercedes dominated year, but I'm only ever going to root for one driver from that team, the guy racing on the other side of the garage.

Maybe in a few years depending on what happens but right now I can't see it.

Dilly

Banned
I feel the same way brother.

I'm happy Ferrari are sorting their shit out and it may not be another Mercedes dominated year, but I'm only ever going to root for one driver from that team, the guy racing on the other side of the garage.

Maybe in a few years depending on what happens but right now I can't see it.

Sunhi, my GAF Alonso soulmate.

Ruruja

I've always liked Vettel's personality. I just didn't enjoy him winning all the time and 4 straight titles. Once Hami matches his 4 titles, or even gets 3 tbh, Vettel can do what he wants and it'll be fine with me. I don't think he's done anything dirty on-track like the other well-known Germans (oh wait, there was multi-21).

Funny thing is, I've been a Vettel fan since his Toro Rosso days, but I'm still REALLY struggling with supporting Ferrari by proxy.

That said, it's much, much easier with Arrivabene there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Alonso is my favorite driver, but generally, all I want is a close and exciting season. So if Vettel is the way to provide, so be it.

Pimpwerx

Great pole for Lewis. Great lap from Sebastian. The jumbled grid should make for a fun start. I hope Nico and Seb can slow each other down battling while Lewis drives off for an easy win. I don't care much for drama. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hammer, any new rumors about Mercedes package for Barcelona?

Both Williams cars could cause some headache to Kimi and Nico, because they are worse starters compared to Lewis and Vettel

Hammer, any new rumors about Mercedes package for Barcelona?

Both Williams cars could cause some headache to Kimi and Nico, because they are worse starters compared to Lewis and Vettel

They have already introduced a tighter rear end, new front and rear wings. Not sure what else, aside from engine upgrades. New bargeboards? New nose? New floor? New sidepods?

Hammer, can you retrofit an already used engine with token upgrades? Has Mercedes already implemented all the tokens they have used thus far or are they waiting for PU no. 2 (Barcelona) to introduce some of the token they have already used?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I have sent an email to our tv commentator about tokens and engine stuff, but I am still waiting for the reply.

Honda's Arai yesterday said token upgrades can't be applied on used engines:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=64709

- We haven't decided on whether to introduce new spec PU at Spanish GP or not

- For those components outside reg-limited parts we're making one development after another, so there's possibility of introducing new spec PU in that sense. But, that's one thing, and introducing all new PU is another. Because you can apply token upgrades only to PUs to be used in future, not to PUs that have already been used. It's difficult to judge when to introduce token upgrades. There's no point if you use token in haste and get very few performance gain by the new tech, yet on the other hand if you take too much time, the season will be over.

- We are making improvements constantly on areas where there's no need to apply for change. Such as changing plugs, making improvement to oil

Lego Boss

Honda's Arai yesterday said token upgrades can't be applied on used engines:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=64709

- We haven't decided on whether to introduce new spec PU at Spanish GP or not

- For those components outside reg-limited parts we're making one development after another, so there's possibility of introducing new spec PU in that sense. But, that's one thing, and introducing all new PU is another. Because you can apply token upgrades only to PUs to be used in future, not to PUs that have already been used. It's difficult to judge when to introduce token upgrades. There's no point if you use token in haste and get very few performance gain by the new tech, yet on the other hand if you take too much time, the season will be over.

- We are making improvements constantly on areas where there's no need to apply for change. Such as changing plugs, making improvement to oil

Wat? Like spark plugs?

dubc35

Ha, they just realized they need to change certain fluids to maintain the engine. NBC crew was yammering on about how remarkable the McLaren improvement has been so far. I was like wtf? Are we talking about the same team?!

Zeknurn

ACE1T3x.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Got response from the TV commentator. He said that teams can use new upgrades (token based) on new PU and not on the old ones, just like Wax Free Vanilla posted.

So basically, manufacturers can develop new stuff based on their remaining tokens and introduce it to PUs, but only to new PU that will be used from certain race onwards. Old PUs will not have these kind of updates, so they will be obsolete and usable only for FPs.

I asked him also about Mercedes and he said that he do not know in which extend did Mercedes incorporate their last preseason batch of spent tokens to current PU (the one that will end its working life after Bahrain). He said that is very probable that due to their advantage on engine front, they could hold them back until the first major upgrade package in Barcelona.

Got response from the TV commentator. He said that teams can use new upgrades (token based) on new PU and not on the old ones, just like Wax Free Vanilla posted.

So basically, manufacturers can develop new stuff based on their remaining tokens and introduce it to PUs, but only to new PU that will be used from certain race onwards. Old PUs will not have these kind of updates, so they will be obsolete and usable only for FPs.

I asked him also about Mercedes and he said that he do not know in which extend did Mercedes incorporate their last preseason batch of spent tokens to current PU (the one that will end its working life after Bahrain). He said that is very probable that due to their advantage on engine front, they could hold them back until the first major upgrade package in Barcelona.

That's what I wonder as well... Barcelona/Canada will be very interesting...

Thanks a lot for the answer! Was always wondering about this. This means that Ferrari will only have 2 PUs for its token upgrades, whilst Mercedes will have 3 PUs.

Poor Rosberg. Hamilton gave him that false sense of equivalency last year because his head wasn't completely in the game and now that it is (finally ditching toxic gf?) Rosberg is simply not in the same league as an on point Hamilton. (Then again Rosberg does seem a bit broken already) Thank god for Ferrari progress and Vettel or else this could have been a painfully dull season.

Hamilton in that car is going to be tough to match in qualy, but as long as Ferrari can challenge for wins, this season could turn in to something special. I just hope a Kimi win is in the mix.

Ark

Is it just me or is the thread became really slow

The community hell is real. Still can't believe this thread was moved to community before it was even two fucking weeks old. It definitely wasn't helped by the backseat mods that came in here after the thread went up "WHY ARE YOU NOT IN COMMUNITY".

I've half a mind to make a new OT for each race, but that'd be petty.

The community hell is real. Still can't believe this thread was moved to community before it was even two fucking weeks old. It definitely wasn't helped by the backseat mods that came in here after the thread went up "WHY ARE YOU NOT IN COMMUNITY".

I've half a mind to make a new OT for each race, but that'd be petty.

But think of all the feel good/great news threads and personal problems of random people that would get buried in the OT, if threads like this would get more exposure!

Nothing brightens my day as thread titles about break ups and dead cats with arrows in their head. :)

Juicy Bob

I'm not a Vettel or Ferrari fan, but I'm glad it's Vettel on top over Kimi so far.

Kimi's kind of being shown up by Vettel after being comfortably beaten by Alonso last year.

I'm not a Vettel or Ferrari fan, but I'm glad it's Vettel on top over Kimi so far.

Kimi's kind of being shown up by Vettel after being comfortably beaten by Alonso last year.

Kimi hasn't been that good qualifying driver since his early Ferrari days (in this qualifying the difference was pretty damn small though). That is costing him against his teammates. In races I would say he has been just as fast as Vettel.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If Kimi botch his start today, he could stay behind Williams or even some other car for a good deal of the race

When will we see Ferrari start to favour Vettel? Even if Kimi gets a great start and is ahead of Vettel, Ferrari will switch them if they can. Vettel already has more than double Kimi's points :'(

Shaneus

But think of all the feel good/great news threads and personal problems of random people that would get buried in the OT, if threads like this would get more exposure!

Nothing brightens my day as thread titles about break ups and dead cats with arrows in their head. :)
Yup. I'm always quite salty when this gets moved, and not even leaving it in for more than a week is just ridiculous. Especially when it's a seasonal thing and the number of regular posters is quite tiny.

Fair enough it gets moved a few months in or something, but it's hardly a community when there are a handful of posters with posts > 50 and there's less than 5,000 posts total. Conversely, even on the first page there's a TV show's seasonal |OT| with 15,000 posts that's been active since October, yet it's still in the regular Off-Topic area.

There needs to be some kind of hard-and-fast rule about what should go into Community and what shouldn't. And if there is, it should be more lenient for smaller communities like ours to allow for more exposure.

Hell, there's even a rule in Gaming that threads destined for Community are moved after a month the thread was created... but this thread *barely* lasted 3 days :/
Game |OT|s will now be moved to the Community forum one month after their game's release. Assuming a minimum activity level, notice will be given in the thread title with a "[Moving To Community Friday]" edit so that people know where the thread's headed. Threads that die out quickly or are rarely bumped after the one month mark may or may not be moved to Community at the administration's discretion.

Shaneus

And fuck... for some reason Star Sports isn't bloody working for me! Worked fine a few weeks back, but now... no streams are visible to me at all. Crap.

Edit: Isn't it supposed to have started already? F1 website said it was supposed to kick off at 10pm, which is 20 minutes ago (locally).

Risgroo

And fuck... for some reason Star Sports isn't bloody working for me! Worked fine a few weeks back, but now... no streams are visible to me at all. Crap.

Edit: Isn't it supposed to have started already? F1 website said it was supposed to kick off at 10pm, which is 20 minutes ago (locally).

Nah, 2 hours and 35 minutes from now.

That was Formula1.com's mistake. They've updated the 'Race starts a XX:XX' info to Spain already.

Top Bottom