• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - Ke$ha ( Bob Dylan Tribute)

so raw and emotional

this bitch slays me

tumblr_lsdhbmlL611qhjgo1.gif

I'd just like to say I'm very happy that Robyn is getting more widespread attention after doing guest singer duties at SNL. I'm usually selfish, but more people should hear more Robyn.

Also, am I the only one who loves, loves, loves Wynter Gordon?

You took a real big chance when you gave me up -- and I'll admit that I like you too, but you needed me more than I needed you. But it's okay 'cause you'll be sorry in the morning; yeah, it's okay 'cause I already hear you calling. This is a game that we play, and you always lose miserably. You'll be begging "take me back," in the morning.

Fuck yeah.

Also, am I the only one who loves, loves, loves Wynter Gordon?

"Love" is a bit strong and I could do without the superfluous 'y' in her name, but Dirty Talk was massive, Buy My Love and Til Death are fun, and Take Me Away is alright.

And nobody - nobody - should dare touch I Feel Love. That song is sacred. I'll never forgive her for that.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Katy Perry just wont quit

Capitol Records is adding another weapon in its arsenal to help Katy Perry's "The One That Got Away" reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100.

The label today (Dec. 15) serviced a remix of the song featuring rapper B.o.B to pop and rhythmic radio. It expects to make the track available for digital purchase as soon as next week.

The first five singles from Perry's album "Teenage Dream" all reached No. 1 - "California Gurls," featuring Snoop Dogg; the title cut, "Firework"; "E.T." (which upon its release as a single featured Kanye West, as opposed to Perry's solo album version); and, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - making the set just the second, following Michael Jackson's "Bad" (1987-88), to yield five Hot 100 leaders.

Should "One" hit No. 1, "Teenage Dream" would become the first album to generate six Hot 100 toppers.

ib16fJ37rataQh.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
She has a crack creative team behind her, that's for sure; her manufactured image is the only thing setting her apart from a hundred others. The songs are pleasant enough but hardly memorable, and it's almost entirely the weird buzz surrounding her emergence that's keeping her in the (semi)public eye -- plenty of internet music dudes already hate her, haha.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/a...at-bowery-ballroom-review.html?_r=2&ref=music
Lana Del Rey is a singer of songs that are very popular on the Internet. Stop. Rewind. That’s not quite it. Let’s try again.

Lana Del Rey is a person who makes music that is much discussed online. O.K., that’s closer, but still not there. A music-making thing? Nah. One more time.

Lana Del Rey is a tabula rasa, a punching bag, a reflection of our collective nightmares about American cynicism and disingenuousness. Sure, that’ll do.

Really Ms. Del Rey is a singer, sometimes a very good one, who wouldn’t deserve the degree of scrutiny she’s been subjected to online, even if she were far worse, or far better. In her current incarnation, she’s released exactly three songs, which all would sound fine in a Tarantino film or in an Urban Outfitters or in the lobby of the Ace Hotel. (She is releasing an album next month.)

That she in fact performed at all on Monday night at the Bowery Ballroom, in her first proper New York show, qualifies as a victory of sorts. (There was also a short, unadvertised set at the Glasslands Gallery in Williamsburg in September.) The Internet has not yet killed Ms. Del Rey.

But oh, is it trying, with a combination of skepticism about her motives and skepticism about her appearance and skepticism about her identity. Last year, under her given name, Lizzy Grant, she released a benign album of misty, semi-baroque singer-songwriter pop. But everything about Ms. Del Rey’s current phase is carefully plotted: it’s woozy and sometimes soporific soundtrack soul, glued firmly in the mid-1960s, with debts to Nancy Sinatra and Dusty Springfield.

At this show she came onstage to the nervous strings of the “Psycho” theme, and she was backed by dusty old footage displayed on three large white balloons, including several clips of President John F. Kennedy. Like her video for “Video Games,” the song that placed her in the line of fire this summer, it looked like the montage clip at your uncle’s retirement party.

Still, Ms. Del Rey can’t help feeling like another in an endless stream of sonic rediscoveries and repurposings facilitated by Internet access and distribution: Lana Del Rey is baile funk! is chopped and screwed! is doom metal!

Ms. Del Rey also follows the example of Amy Winehouse, another singer who took vintage styles and packed them with modern lyrical moments: She likes to curse, but only in contrast to her otherwise smooth demeanor and presentation. She wore a demure white dress here, with mustard collar and rosette-studded belt, and her hair was sprayed into a hard shell.

Backed by a band that too often mistook lethargy for melancholy, she proved herself to be far more active as an Internet meme than as a human being onstage. It felt like a rehearsal. Maybe it was.

“I have no time to practice, so I’m practicing with you,” she said. It wasn’t an apology.

And what a relief that was. Ms. Del Rey has a bad, maybe even terrible, attitude underneath the pristine exterior, and it’s trying to claw its way out.

At her best moments, she gave glimmers of being a Fiona Apple manquée — the voice, yes, was almost there, but the orneriness, the potential for rupture, is very much there already. She was chafing against the amber she’s trapped in.

After one song she said, “I’m not gonna lie — I’m not feeling that song lately.” After another, one that has not yet been the subject of Talmudic dissection on the Internet, she snipped: “I know you don’t care. You’re gonna” — really, except choosing a more emphatic word — “like it when it’s on the record.”

Clearly, she wants to be something different, but for now she’ll take just being something.

“I’m not doing an encore,” she said, “so don’t think I’m coming back.” And she didn’t.

cory.

Banned
Her trajectory has been really fast and weird, going from almost unknown even in indie circles when the video for Video Games was released in July to a major label signing in October and already putting out a debut album in January.

She's almost rising faster than Gaga did. Interscope conspiracy.

Damn, that article got the claws out didn't it? lol

Yeah I was gonna say her rise to fame reminded me of Gaga's, but I can't really envision Born to Die being played on Top 40 radio. Maybe it'll surprise me, who knows

interscope illuminati

JCX

Came in here to see if Lana Del Rey was being discussed. I don't care how fake she is. Her voice is mesmerizing.

JCX

Ha, I never understand people who crave authenticity of all things from their pop artists.

I don't consider LDR a pop artist, but music genre labels vary so much from person to person.

My only thing with LDR is that she seems a bit like a puppet. I wonder if she is more Britney (producers/creative team doing the vast majority of the work) or Gaga (conceptual persona). Either way, I like LDR's music, it's just that the first option is creepy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Your encyclopedia.

And you don't really need to use gifs. A lot of us just happen to have an affinity for gifs~

Britney Spears said:
She looks at the crowd of screaming fans, then lies down and takes a nap for 2 hours.

Tickets are $1000 a piece, and you will deal.

Dammmmmmmmmmn

http://stan-wars.com/artistwars.html#index.php/topic said:
To silence all of the fake pregnancy rumors, I will be giving birth live in concert at Madison Square Garden. I am calling it "I Am Dilated...An Intimate Evening in My Uterus". I will be doing all of my old hits, then me and the baby will perform selections from "4". Here's rough draft of the cover:

:lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sammy was unbanned ya'll. Bey stans incoming lol

Bey stans haven't had anything to stan for during the 4 era. I mean, what is Bey doing right now worth talking about?

Hint: not a damn thing.

But "Party" is my jam, so I'll stop with the shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom