• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been in this thread much, but since it does say Pop thread of Diversity, I figured a post about MNDR should be in order. I've been a fan of MNDR ever since I saw her open for M83 in 2009. Her electropop is so unique and she's a total gear freak. She knows her shit and that's kinda hot. I lover her geeky, awkward style. It comes off as really charming during her live performances.

mndr1.jpg

Anyway, here are a few tracks by MNDR. The first one, Fade to Black is from her EP from a few years ago called E.P.E. The second track, Cut Me Out, was released as a free single this year. The third track is a song she did some vocals for, Mark Ronson's Bang Bang Bang.

MNDR:
Fade to Black
Cut Me Out

Mark Ronson:
Bang Bang Bang (Featuring Q-Tip & MNDR)

Lana Del Rey is fucking awesome. I don't care that she's manufactured. What pop singer isnt?

It depends on your definition of "manufactured". A lot of pop artists - including some in the OT - didn't have their image or sound guided by the heavy hand of a record label or blog hype. Several own their own labels. Many write their own music, and some even work on the instrumentation, production, and editing.

I don't really care about Lana Del Ray and I certainly don't care about whether or not an artist is "manufactured", but I suppose I can understand why that might be important to some.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
This old granny is already starting

Senior reporter Jacob Bernstein hung out with Madonna for an upcoming piece in the January 30th issue of Newsweek, and got her thoughts on Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way.’

I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song (‘Express Yourself’). I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was…interesting.

iMaGNChwBM84b.gif

I cant deal

Mumei

So how good is Kelly Rowland's voice? She covered Mariah's Fantasy as a part of a tribute to her for the BET Honors* show airing in February. Should I expect something good, something mediocre, or trainwreck entertainment on the level of Rihanna singing Hero? (And speaking of Hero, Patti Labelle covered that).

* The other honorees are Stevie Wonder, the Tuskegee Airmen, Maya Angelou, Spike Lee, and Beverly Kearney.

So how good is Kelly Rowland's voice? She covered Mariah's Fantasy as a part of a tribute to her for the BET Honors* show airing in February. Should I expect something good, something mediocre, or trainwreck entertainment on the level of Rihanna singing Hero? (And speaking of Hero, Patti Labelle covered that).

* The other honorees are Stevie Wonder, the Tuskegee Airmen, Maya Angelou, Spike Lee, and Beverly Kearney.
I think there's a reason she chose to sing Fantasy over something like Emotions

....not to say Fantasy is easy to sing or anything.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Hilton is working with Afrojack and childhood friends LMFAO for her sophomore record.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1677401/paris-hilton-album-music.jhtml
Paris Hilton famously declared that "Stars are Blind" on her 2006 single. Now, she's hoping to recapture some of that musical magic on the follow-up to her self-titled debut.

She's hooking up with club-music producer extraordinaire Afrojack for the record and is knee-deep in getting it done. "I've been in the studio all day recording my new album," she told MTV News at the Weinstein Golden Globes afterparty. And if fans think she'll be channeling some sugary sweet pop on this next release, they'd better think again.

"It's completely different from my last album. I'm going with a whole new genre. I have Afrojack executive-producing the entire album. So we've just been coming up with the most incredible tracks," she teased. "I was just in the studio with RedFoo the other night, so we're going to be doing my new single with LMFAO."

Given how ubiquitous LMFAO is these days, a Paris/LMFAO track could be the perfect combination to reintroduce the world to Paris Hilton, pop star. "I'm so excited. The music's turning out so great and I can't wait to release it this summer. Two nights ago [I recorded the song with LMFAO]," she said, describing the session as "awesome." "I've known them since I was a little girl. We grew up together 'cause our parents are friends, so I'm just so proud of them and all their success and what they've done 'cause they've just created this whole 'Party Rock' brand and it's just so awesome."

ibratAlAduLc5G.jpg

I cant believe she is still trying, but Stars are Blind was the shit back in the day

Koodo

Banned
Stars Are Blind was flawless, haters better deal with this. I'd give a listen to Paris' new album; it will probably be shit, but there might be a gem.

(pop trivia: Stars was produced by Fernando Garibay, Lady Gaga's current bitch)

I really liked Goldfrapp's first album, but the second is too poppy for me. Does she have any more albums in the vein of Felt Mountain's downtempo 60s psychedelic pop?

Adam Lambert's sophomore effort is getting crazy good previews/first looks in the UK press.

I'm impressed the UK is giving another AmIdol a second look, let alone such high praise. His first effort was a mishmash with a couple great songs, and he says this one is more real, with half dance and half ballads.

Hyped that he's working with Pharrell on two tracks!

And it’s not even your birthday! According to tweets from Da Internz (the song producers) and Rihanna herself, the full version of ‘Birthday Cake’ from her latest album Talk That Talk will be released this month. Check it out:

Da Internz @DaInternz
both our bdays & @rihanna 's bday is in FEB, & this is the month we releaseFULL VERSION OF #CAKE. MOVIE SCRIPT SHIT PEOPLE

That’s just enough time for the kids to save up that $1.29 or find the courage to swipe daddy’s credit card on iTunes. That’s also just enough time for me to get my hand-stitched, sequined coochie cutters out of layaway from Dineisha’s Alterations. You ain’t ready for ALL THIS.

ride.gif

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

YES. That half of a song was the best thing on that album. SMH @ anyone who actually pays money to buy the full song though after buying the album...mess.

Child, that album flopped, They expected it to do pon De Replay and instead it went Pon de Relapse, so her label wants to go Pon de Re-Release just like she has done with practically every flop album she ever had.

Re-release in Spring. and a new album release late fall/winter. Just like Re:loaded

Koodo

Banned
CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE

Speaking of cake, ADELE has cockblocked Republican Kelly Clarkson from getting that #1. Gworl will need to endorse more questionable politicians asap to reach the summit next week, because it will be game over after the GRAMMELES.

Benevolent Goddess Kellegend Christson has allowed her faithful devotee Adele one more week at the top of the charts before coming in for the Kill.

EbKKO.gif

Unless Granny screws everything up.

P.S. Dark Side is the third single, thus cementing the Summer of Kellegend 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom