• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Banglish

Yay, Walrus is back! :)
I FINALLY went to my first regular session class and woooow hahaha.
I went through the intro class like butter. I was kidding myself, I thought, "oh this is fine, this is easy, regular class will be fun, no problem".
Live sparring killed me lol. First guy I rolled with was the guy I was drilling with, similar size and he'd been practicing on and off for a year. We were going back and forth, I passed his guard a couple times and he did mine as well. He threw a few armbars which caught me off guard but he wasn't able to lock em up and I was able to pass his guard! 50/50 matchup. Next guy was a bit stockier, man he was going hard! I threw up a high guard (attempting to use a rubber guard from what I've seen of it so it was obviously meh lol) - but I was able to put him in a defensive position and I started cinch in a triangle, I just haven't built the proper technique yet. I think that's something I want to develop, being a lanky mofo with flexibility an all that! I was able to retain my guard a few times when he tried passing, really getting my legs and ass into play. I got close to getting the key-lock but I didn't set it up properly and just dived on it, so I realized the setup is what really helps finish a submission (that probably seems self explanatory, but I feel like I've been exploding on subs, which obviously isn't the best way to go about business). He ended up choking me, I can't remember if it was a triangle or if he just crushed my windpipe with his thick ass legs lol. In between rounds I grabbed some water and saw a couple guys I hadn't seen there before. I introduced myself and one of them was about 6 feet, similar build. So, I assumed he would be the easiest/lightest to roll with... I found out the hard way never assume anything about anyone ahaha!! He was good. I haven't faced someone yet with a long frame like mine so it was interesting to see how he was utilizing it. He put me in some terrible positions! While I was in his guard he managed to get one of my arms around my back and was pulling it up to my shoulder! He was really nice about it though, I was being a little thick headed and thought I could get out, but alas lol. He let go of it eventually. After that I was like in my head, "okay motherfucker, I ain't getting put in that shit ever again" lol. I was able to pass his guard once or twice and we started going back and forth. I had the most fun rolling with him because he wasn't going full on raging bull mode. I noticed he was playing more controlled, thinking about what he was doing, which in turn made me focus more about what he's doing and how I should defend and how I should attack. For the first time it really felt like a human chess match.

After sparring, I felt like I was going to throw up 4 times. I felt light-headed and blood was just flowing straight to it. I had to sit for about 15 minutes before I could move again. When I got home I felt like an 80 year old man. Everything hurt, and I couldn't bend my legs lol. I did some foam rolling the day after and I felt much better, so I'll be taking recovery very seriously from now on. Can't wait for Saturday's class.

Well done banglish!

Man...fuck nogi lol. I got straight up murdered tonight. Like I'm bad enough at Gi as it is, I don't need to be shit at two things!
Only plus side was I used a pure technique method of passing from side control to mount. It worked fucking flawlessly, I was thrilled. It was this pass https://youtu.be/drR7qaSbak0

Made even easier because my partner put his leg up to stop me passing, I just put my hand between his legs, pushed him over, slide my knee in the gap and boom. Probably the first and last time I'll ever use anything resembling technique lol

Banglish

Well done banglish!

Man...fuck nogi lol. I got straight up murdered tonight. Like I'm bad enough at Gi as it is, I don't need to be shit at two things!
Only plus side was I used a pure technique method of passing from side control to mount. It worked fucking flawlessly, I was thrilled. It was this pass https://youtu.be/drR7qaSbak0

Made even easier because my partner put his leg up to stop me passing, I just put my hand between his legs, pushed him over, slide my knee in the gap and boom. Probably the first and last time I'll ever use anything resembling technique lol

Niice, that looks like a really solid/fundamental pass.
I don't even wanna go near a gi for at least 4-5 months lol. I felt like I was just trying to survive and pass, sub attempts just felt futile haha. I'm just trying to focus on the positive things I did and not focus too much on getting smashed. That's one thing I took from watching some of the videos Walrus posted earlier, Firas is goddamn guru, his BJJ philosophy is awesome!

Niice, that looks like a really solid/fundamental pass.
I don't even wanna go near a gi for at least 4-5 months lol. I felt like I was just trying to survive and pass, sub attempts just felt futile haha. I'm just trying to focus on the positive things I did and not focus too much on getting smashed. That's one thing I took from watching some of the videos Walrus posted earlier, Firas is goddamn guru, his BJJ philosophy is awesome!

That's definitely the best way to look at your BJJ journey. Focus on the small victories. One technique you did well, or an escape you performed, a submission you got out of, Etc. If I got hung up on all the times I've gotten steamrolled I'd have quit after a few weeks!

Ive had demoralising classes before but tonight is on another level. Bodied like a ragdoll and a straight knee in the bollocks for the piece de resistance. Honestly just asking myself what the fuck I'm even doing this for right now

Ive had demoralising classes before but tonight is on another level. Bodied like a ragdoll and a straight knee in the bollocks for the piece de resistance. Honestly just asking myself what the fuck I'm even doing this for right now

Are you having a good time? I've been training for 13 years or so, and the only internal conversation that has mattered to me is "Do I enjoy this, because if I like it, I'm not going to get better by NOT going."

I mean sure, you're going to get in (marginally) better shape, be able to defend yourself a bit better, but not better than running or buying a gun/knife. Its mentally and physically challenging, and testing yourself in high pressure situations to make yourself stronger is the real reward. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 36, and there are plenty of my peers that don't challenge themselves in any significant way in life. That process has to be fulfilling in its own right to get you past the low points, and the inevitable injuries.

To quote one of my first coaches "This shit doesn't ever get easier. It gets way more fun, but it never gets easier."

And be honest with yourself, if the sport makes you miserable, find something else that makes you happy! But if its making you happy but you just can't stand losing, then this is where a simple hobby of people rolling around on the ground can be a vehicle to make you a better person.

Are you having a good time? I've been training for 13 years or so, and the only internal conversation that has mattered to me is "Do I enjoy this, because if I like it, I'm not going to get better by NOT going."

I mean sure, you're going to get in (marginally) better shape, be able to defend yourself a bit better, but not better than running or buying a gun/knife. Its mentally and physically challenging, and testing yourself in high pressure situations to make yourself stronger is the real reward. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 36, and there are plenty of my peers that don't challenge themselves in any significant way in life. That process has to be fulfilling in its own right to get you past the low points, and the inevitable injuries.

To quote one of my first coaches "This shit doesn't ever get easier. It gets way more fun, but it never gets easier."

And be honest with yourself, if the sport makes you miserable, find something else that makes you happy! But if its making you happy but you just can't stand losing, then this is where a simple hobby of people rolling around on the ground can be a vehicle to make you a better person.

Thanks for that. I'm honestly just pissed at myself, I should be able to survive longer now, defend better, but I was ripped apart in seconds. It just makes it feel like I have wasted my time, like I've learned nothing or at least forgotten everything I did learn.

I enjoy training, I've had a lot of fun and loved learning new things every week. I'm proud to be doing BJJ. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and now at 11 months in I still can't believe I even lasted this long. I never really enjoy getting smashed but it's part and parcel of the game so I accept it. But tonight was just bad, I got hurt more in one class than I have in ages. Limping out of class it really was just a "why am I doing this?" moment.

I dunno. I'm just beaten and demoralised right now. I'll sleep on it a bit. On the side that doesn't hurt...lol

Thanks for that. I'm honestly just pissed at myself, I should be able to survive longer now, defend better, but I was ripped apart in seconds. It just makes it feel like I have wasted my time, like I've learned nothing or at least forgotten everything I did learn.

I enjoy training, I've had a lot of fun and loved learning new things every week. I'm proud to be doing BJJ. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and now at 11 months in I still can't believe I even lasted this long. I never really enjoy getting smashed but it's part and parcel of the game so I accept it. But tonight was just bad, I got hurt more in one class than I have in ages. Limping out of class it really was just a "why am I doing this?" moment.

I dunno. I'm just beaten and demoralised right now. I'll sleep on it a bit. On the side that doesn't hurt...lol
A training partner exposed a hole in your game. It happens and is a part of the process. Now you have an idea of what you need to work on.

It's like learning a language. Even after 20 years you are going to occasionally get in a situation where you feel like you suck.

Aye, it's definitely a steep learning curve. I was just a bit extra pissy pants last night as I had a training partner who actively pissed me off and that's not something that ever happens to me. Normally I can get smashed and laugh about it, fist bump and move on. But this dude was way heavier than me and got into KOB, and just kept jumping from one knee to the other over and over and when he eventually stopped was all lol it's just a prank bro! Just trying to fuck with you! That shit annoyed me. Fuck it I'll stop whining for now anyway and just try and go train again.

there will always be someone bigger, heavier, stronger, more skilled. you can't compare yourself to others, it's your own path.

for example, there's a new guy in the gym. he's big, strong, and in incredibly fit. he probably outweighs me by 40 pounds. when i roll with guys like that they usually gas out at the 2-3 minute mark but this guy keeps pouring it on. i had to really fight to survive and i eventually submitted him. he's a no stripe white belt but after talking to him i find out he's an armenian wrestler. geez, i can imagine being a 2-4 stripe white belt and being smashed by this "new" guy and how it can be demoralizing but again, he's on a different path.

Banglish

Aye, it's definitely a steep learning curve. I was just a bit extra pissy pants last night as I had a training partner who actively pissed me off and that's not something that ever happens to me. Normally I can get smashed and laugh about it, fist bump and move on. But this dude was way heavier than me and got into KOB, and just kept jumping from one knee to the other over and over and when he eventually stopped was all lol it's just a prank bro! Just trying to fuck with you! That shit annoyed me. Fuck it I'll stop whining for now anyway and just try and go train again.

Yo Cindi suggested you check this video out bruh, definitely helped me re-dial after getting ambared a billion times last class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GBZonUQtZs

I found this one too, it's quite a bit longer though. (43 min)
https://youtu.be/hHebXvoHue0

Also a pretty thoughtful yt comment

"Great analogy. It's similar with all sports and skills. I like to use the toddler analogy. A toddler who's just starting to walk can probably crawl faster and more efficiently than walking and stumbling over several times. But, in a few years time, once he has mastered walking, it will be MUCH more efficient than crawling. New players will be crawling, once they start to walk for the first time, they might encounter many problems and stumble over. But, once they start getting better at walking, they'll never to back to crawling. And walking will then transition to running. You can't get good at running by crawling all the time."

Yo Cindi suggested you check this video out bruh, definitely helped me re-dial after getting ambared a billion times last class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GBZonUQtZs

I found this one too, it's quite a bit longer though. (43 min)
https://youtu.be/hHebXvoHue0

Also a pretty thoughtful yt comment

"Great analogy. It's similar with all sports and skills. I like to use the toddler analogy. A toddler who's just starting to walk can probably crawl faster and more efficiently than walking and stumbling over several times. But, in a few years time, once he has mastered walking, it will be MUCH more efficient than crawling. New players will be crawling, once they start to walk for the first time, they might encounter many problems and stumble over. But, once they start getting better at walking, they'll never to back to crawling. And walking will then transition to running. You can't get good at running by crawling all the time."

Tell Cindi thanks :D
Yeah theres some good points in that video alright. I've watched that Rener Gracie video before too, its really good. I think for now im going to abandon the nogi class and stick to Gi only. Getting rekt so hard this week just made me realize a few things, one of which is that the Gi is hard enough, i dont want to bog myself down with another class. I feel like the guys in this gym are so much better than the average guy in my old gym, that im practically starting from zero again, and in nogi, i absolutely am starting from zero as id never done it before. Best to just focus on one aspect of BJJ that i actually have some experience in.
But thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sometimes i think without you guys to sound off to i probably would've quit by now altogether.

mujun

Yeah theres some good points in that video alright. I've watched that Rener Gracie video before too, its really good. I think for now im going to abandon the nogi class and stick to Gi only. Getting rekt so hard this week just made me realize a few things, one of which is that the Gi is hard enough, i dont want to bog myself down with another class. I feel like the guys in this gym are so much better than the average guy in my old gym, that im practically starting from zero again, and in nogi, i absolutely am starting from zero as id never done it before. Best to just focus on one aspect of BJJ that i actually have some experience in.
But thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sometimes i think without you guys to sound off to i probably would've quit by now altogether.

This video relates to your feelings about jiu-jitsu :)

Fox318

For those in NY.

Maspeth-Martial-Arts-feb-18-20171.jpg

Banglish

Keep at it man. That's probably a good idea. I'd probably get destroyed if I started Gi. Too many motor engrams, I'd overload my brain. My Thursday class I focused more on survival and observing, as Rener put it. Trying to "see" setup's and traps. Consciously having that in the back of my head helped lower the amount of times I tapped. Still got armbarred lol. But this time I was prepared for it and was able to defend some of them so even though I "lost" I still felt pretty good about that after class.

Also, this may have been asked earlier in the thread, but who are some of your favorite grapplers y'all?
Doesn't have to necessarily be bjj either. Catch, judo, sambo, freestyle.. etc. I'd like to know who you guys follow.

Keep at it man. That's probably a good idea. I'd probably get destroyed if I started Gi. Too many motor engrams, I'd overload my brain. My Thursday class I focused more on survival and observing, as Rener put it. Trying to "see" setup's and traps. Consciously having that in the back of my head helped lower the amount of times I tapped. Still got armbarred lol. But this time I was prepared for it and was able to defend some of them so even though I "lost" I still felt pretty good about that after class.

Also, this may have been asked earlier in the thread, but who are some of your favorite grapplers y'all?
Doesn't have to necessarily be bjj either. Catch, judo, sambo, freestyle.. etc. I'd like to know who you guys follow.

Outside of training I actually don't really follow the sport much. Aside from Mackenzie Derns Instagram lol. But from the MMA side of things I'd have to go with Sakuraba. Absolute legend.

Jeez a girl who started the same day as I did (we both turned up to the same trial class) just got her blue belt. 11 months, that's nuts. But she practically lived at the gym so it's understandable.

I think this is excellent advice. It reminds me of a story Joe Rogan told on his podcast. Something that has always stuck with me. When he was young he was highly into Taekwondo and he was one of the top competitors in his state, though there was a guy at his gym who was in the top 5 in the country. He was consistently ranked among the top 5 best in the US. A country with a big TKD scene.
Rogan described him as incredible skillfull, but also that he was a train wreck. He was intense, awkward, and had a fight-or-flight mode about him that made him difficult to be around. He rarely had friends or anyone close to him because his life dependent on how he'd rank. From the way Rogan described it, I got the impression that this was an individual who had stopped enjoying Martial Arts a long time ago and was now grinding many hours a day on fear, anger and anxiety.

I think that is incredible sad. To see someone who is tremendously good at something, and hate what they are doing. No way that the renown or accomplishment of a piece of brushed gold metal will be worth it to piss so much of your life away with being miserable.
I'd rather be a happy white belt for the rest of my life than end up like that.

I love meeting new people through Jiu-Jitsu. I love that there is an aspect of it that sort of allows us to have a connection in that we do something we enjoy.

Would it help if I told you've felt like this many times? What kept me gong was that some of the best guys at my gym told the same to me. I remember my no-gi instructor said that he'd go home and cry when he had one of those days.

There is something sadomaschistic about it. You're right- It's the hardest thing I've ever done. It's impossible. You can never master it, it's just not possible, but strangely enough that thought calms me. It takes the edge off.

In the end you have to think about being an old man still being able to roll. The fact that you're just showing up as people are trying to rip your ligaments out of your sockets and reattach them in abstract ways should let you know that it's not normal what you're doing, but it is awesome!

And then you have the days.. the good days. After not feeling any progress for six months, then suddenly, things connect for some reason. and then next training it's gone again... and then a few weeks later you find some ground again. And gone again. And so it goes.

Banglish

Outside of training I actually don't really follow the sport much. Aside from Mackenzie Derns Instagram lol. But from the MMA side of things I'd have to go with Sakuraba. Absolute legend.

Jeez a girl who started the same day as I did (we both turned up to the same trial class) just got her blue belt. 11 months, that's nuts. But she practically lived at the gym so it's understandable.

Haha I see you Brerlappin. I've been scouring youtube for practitioners with styles/strategies I might like to test. Before I started training I watched heavier guys like Andre Galvao, Braulio Estima. Now I'm realizing it won't help me too much in learning about my body type following them. I've been studying 10th planet, Marcelo Garcia, and Rafa Mendes. Basically anyone around 150 pounds or less. I'll have to check out Saku.

Does anyone know if Egan Inoue was on steroids? That guy looked like a fucking monster. He's my height and weighs 50 pounds more than me lol.

I think this is excellent advice. It reminds me of a story Joe Rogan told on his podcast. Something that has always stuck with me. When he was young he was highly into Taekwondo and he was one of the top competitors in his state, though there was a guy at his gym who was in the top 5 in the country. He was consistently ranked among the top 5 best in the US. A country with a big TKD scene.
Rogan described him as incredible skillfull, but also that he was a train wreck. He was intense, awkward, and had a fight-or-flight mode about him that made him difficult to be around. He rarely had friends or anyone close to him because his life dependent on how he'd rank. From the way Rogan described it, I got the impression that this was an individual who had stopped enjoying Martial Arts a long time ago and was now grinding many hours a day on fear, anger and anxiety.

I think that is incredible sad. To see someone who is tremendously good at something, and hate what they are doing. No way that the renown or accomplishment of a piece of brushed gold metal will be worth it to piss so much of your life away with being miserable.
I'd rather be a happy white belt for the rest of my life than end up like that.

I love meeting new people through Jiu-Jitsu. I love that there is an aspect of it that sort of allows us to have a connection in that we do something we enjoy.

Would it help if I told you've felt like this many times? What kept me gong was that some of the best guys at my gym told the same to me. I remember my no-gi instructor said that he'd go home and cry when he had one of those days.

There is something sadomaschistic about it. You're right- It's the hardest thing I've ever done. It's impossible. You can never master it, it's just not possible, but strangely enough that thought calms me. It takes the edge off.

In the end you have to think about being an old man still being able to roll. The fact that you're just showing up as people are trying to rip your ligaments out of your sockets and reattach them in abstract ways should let you know that it's not normal what you're doing, but it is awesome!

And then you have the days.. the good days. After not feeling any progress for six months, then suddenly, things connect for some reason. and then next training it's gone again... and then a few weeks later you find some ground again. And gone again. And so it goes.

Definitely helps alot mate, really appreciate the words, and all the support here big-time. It really is a rather weird sport we do when you actually think about it for a bit, its no surprise we need a support group to talk about it!!

I've had sore ribs for nearly 3 months now. I know I need to sit out 4-6 weeks but it's just so hard.

I strained something in my knee deadlifting a while back and had to sit out this week too as it felt bad. Didn't want to risk making it worse. Hope you're able to get back to it soon man

smisk

I've been kinda interested in trying BJJ, partly just to do something that'll be different and push me out of my comfort zone. I lift weights and jog sometimes so I'm in ok shape, but am a skinny guy (5'8 135lbs) and have never really been an aggressive person.
Am I just constantly gonna get my shit pushed in?

I've been kinda interested in trying BJJ, partly just to do something that'll be different and push me out of my comfort zone. I lift weights and jog sometimes so I'm in ok shape, but am a skinny guy (5'8 135lbs) and have never really been an aggressive person.

BJJ is nothing but having your shit pushed in. Do it!

pr0cs

Not sure if I should be reassured or not lol. Also, do most people start with gi, or no gi?
Gi, if you survive that then get into nogi. Tbh though doesn't really matter.
You will likely reevaluate your notion that you're in "Okay" shape for the first few months tho

Munki

Gi, if you survive that then get into nogi. Tbh though doesn't really matter.
You will likely reevaluate your notion that you're in "Okay" shape for the first few months tho

I'm pretty sure he will be able to determine that after his first class. The first few are an eye opener in regards to ones fitness.

pr0cs

I'm pretty sure he will be able to determine that after his first class. The first few are an eye opener in regards to ones fitness.
Depends where you train and how much sparring you get to do as a new white belt /member.
My point was that most people think they're in pretty good shape until they start bjj (and sparring)

Munki

Depends where you train and how much sparring you get to do as a new white belt /member.
My point was that most people think they're in pretty good shape until they start bjj (and sparring)

Ah, gotcha. That was my point as well, so I agree with you.

You also don't have to be aggressive to enjoy BJJ. There's a strange calmness to the madness of simulating murder with training partners. You will most certainly be out of your comfort zone though.

Not sure if I should be reassured or not lol. Also, do most people start with gi, or no gi?

You can start with whatever you fancy really. I always saw Gi as more traditional, pyjama wrestling style BJJ, and nogi as more for people looking to get into MMA/Eddie Bravo conspiracy theories but that's just my take on it

Banglish

I'm 5'9, 130 lbs. And thought I was in good shape. Getting in shape for a martial art is completely different, at least my experience has been. Its definitely a little rough at first with the larger bodies but you get used to it after a while. I got my first triangle choke today on a larger fellow. When you catch a bigger guy off guard damn it feels good lol.

Fox318

Jesus Christ. How was that lol

Congratulations man. That's dope.

Not as bad as you think.

It's tough because I want to get better off my back and I'm a catch wrestler.

Everyone I roll with positions themselves like a stick and it's tough to get hooks and control the head.

It's been around 2 and a half weeks since I've been to class. Dealt with some slight health issues and since I was going to different doc offices I must have gotten sick because as I got better I ended up with a cold.

My right knee that I hurt in my 2-3rd class a couple months ago has been really bothering me lately. I can't really kneel down anymore without extremely sharp pains occurring. Even if I'm just sitting down, once I stand up it hurts and is accompanied by some initial weakness until I get moving.

And this morning I had to stop during my elliptical session since it was hurting. Debating if I should goto class this week or go see a doc first.

pr0cs

And this morning I had to stop during my elliptical session since it was hurting. Debating if I should goto class this week or go see a doc first.
Sounds like you need to go see a physiotherapist. It's a drag man, a slow slog of being unable to roll, always in pain and no end in sight. Knees are difficult ones to work around or cheat with on the mat, with limited or no mobility you're at a big disadvantage.

It's been around 2 and a half weeks since I've been to class. Dealt with some slight health issues and since I was going to different doc offices I must have gotten sick because as I got better I ended up with a cold.

My right knee that I hurt in my 2-3rd class a couple months ago has been really bothering me lately. I can't really kneel down anymore without extremely sharp pains occurring. Even if I'm just sitting down, once I stand up it hurts and is accompanied by some initial weakness until I get moving.

I feel you. Ive got an almost identical knee issue this last week or so. Its not sore to walk on but if i squat, it feels like im being stabbed in the knee. Also had a bad clicking in my throat for days after clock choke drilling.
Ive also had the triple whammy of shitness in seeing my bank balance this month pretty much means i can either do BJJ, or keep my gym membership. But not both. I think it might be my last hurrah for BJJ im afraid lads

Man, I see new guys moving way too fast and expending way too much effort and strength in their movements which is always a recipe for injuries. I know new guys don't have the technique yet so they try to over compensate with speed and strength but this is almost always the wrong approach. I didn't like how some schools didn't allow full sparring until after you got your 3rd stripe but I fully understand it after years of seeing way too many injuries from new guys trying to do too much. Submitting to others is one thing but you have to submit to the fact that you will suck and will suck for months. Trust the process, don't rush it, things will come over time. Slow and steady will help keep you injury free and keep you on the mat learning.

Top Bottom