• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

hwalker84

I have a bad back amongst other things. Only going once a week as I know more will injure me. I'm trying to make this a long term thing. Need to get my cardio up and weight down significantly before going more than once a week.

I've been resting my ribs and haven't been to class since last Weds. Last night was the first evening in 3 months or so where I didn't experience any rib discomfort. So yeah the rest is helping.

Those looking for a good stylish cheap gi, go to www.bjjhq.com tonight.

NTQbujY.png

Also laughed at this pic from social media today. It pretty much sums up training BJJ. Retention is also so low that if you can stick it out for at least 2-3 yrs then you'll be better than 50% of your gym.

XSeSURW.jpg

I feel you. Ive got an almost identical knee issue this last week or so. Its not sore to walk on but if i squat, it feels like im being stabbed in the knee. Also had a bad clicking in my throat for days after clock choke drilling.
Ive also had the triple whammy of shitness in seeing my bank balance this month pretty much means i can either do BJJ, or keep my gym membership. But not both. I think it might be my last hurrah for BJJ im afraid lads

Did you ever join BJJ spot that was more affordable?

I'll finally be heading back to class next week. It's been too long I'm just hoping my knee holds up. It's been feeling better (though still hurts) but I'll likely be scheduling a doc appointment sometime soon.

Did you ever join BJJ spot that was more affordable?

I'll finally be heading back to class next week. It's been too long I'm just hoping my knee holds up. It's been feeling better (though still hurts) but I'll likely be scheduling a doc appointment sometime soon.

Yeah i joined them in late January. Really cool place. Even tho its cheaper, i still jsut have bills on top of bills. Every month its something new that seems to require a few hundred extra euros :/

Messaged my instructor to say id hopefully be back on Monday tho. Got a nice reply saying they were wondering where id gone and hoped i was recovering well. I did a workout last night and just went low impact, mostly upper body, and my knee was fine. Little discomfort, but nothing major.

Banglish

Yeah i joined them in late January. Really cool place. Even tho its cheaper, i still jsut have bills on top of bills. Every month its something new that seems to require a few hundred extra euros :/

Messaged my instructor to say id hopefully be back on Monday tho. Got a nice reply saying they were wondering where id gone and hoped i was recovering well. I did a workout last night and just went low impact, mostly upper body, and my knee was fine. Little discomfort, but nothing major.

I envy you Brer, I'm so bummed right now haha. I've been bingeing on yt vids of John Danahar and Ryan Hall to satiate myself.

I envy you Brer, I'm so bummed right now haha. I've been bingeing on yt vids of John Danahar and Ryan Hall to satiate myself.

Don't envy me too much...I forgot to bring my rashguard with me when I left for work lol...(I think training without them in just a gi jacket is kinda bad etiquette, I don't like having dudes bare chests all over my face so I don't do it to others) so no training for me tonight!

Hope youre on the mend soon, how did you hurt yourself? Deadlifting or something?

Banglish

Don't envy me too much...I forgot to bring my rashguard with me when I left for work lol...(I think training without them in just a gi jacket is kinda bad etiquette, I don't like having dudes bare chests all over my face so I don't do it to others) so no training for me tonight!

Hope youre on the mend soon, how did you hurt yourself? Deadlifting or something?

It's kind of funny how training makes you consider your hygiene a lot more than usual, another plus for bjj lol.

Thanks, it was 100% avoidable - my buddy asked me if I wanted to clean and jerk with him a bit on a day where I was just hitting a heavy bag. I didn't properly warm up and I jumped on a weight a little too heavy for me and my form was compromised. It didn't seem all that bad then so I went to bjj that week, big mistake. I severely aggravated it and I've had a sharp pain in my neck and back soo lesson learned Haha. I'm going to a doctor this week and see what kind of damage I did. Hopefully it only requires physio and not chiro.

Damn, got some new glasses and I've gone full "bjj nerd" in appearance. Typically casual attire consisting of eye glasses cuz contacts are a no no, a baseball cap because why style your hair before training, a bjj lifestyle tee, and a hoodie.

Back on the mats tomorrow after sitting out 3 weeks resting my ribs.

Damn, got some new glasses and I've gone full "bjj nerd" in appearance. Typically casual attire consisting of eye glasses cuz contacts are a no no, a baseball cap because why style your hair before training, a bjj lifestyle tee, and a hoodie.

Back on the mats tomorrow after sitting out 3 weeks resting my ribs.

Damn i need to get me some of that style lol. Maybe start eating Acai too. Good luck with the ribs, hope your return goes well. Howd you injure them in the first place?

Ive been back to class but fucking sporadically as hell. Its annoying me, i want to be more consistent, but with my own class anxiety and external commitments it hasnt been easy. Only 2 classes in the last 2 weeks. I just keep telling myself "some BJJ is better than no BJJ".
I had planned on training tonight but then got reminded i have to pick my wife up from a physio appointment at 7 so class has to go on hold. But, in my defence, i almost broke my big toe in class on Monday and have been hobbling around ever since so maybe missing it tonight isn't the worst thing in the world lol. Most embarrasing injury ever. Didnt even pick it up in drilling or rolling but fucking warm ups. Stubbed my toe in the mats during a warm up where your partner has to push you from one end of the room to the other while you resist them. Slammed my toe straight into the mats, its black and blue and a rather angry shade of crimson right now lol

I always wanted a BJJ thread and after one was made I never participated in it. Lol. I guess I'll jump in with you fellows.

Been training about 4 and a half years now. Competed a ton as a white belt and here and there when I started at blue. but I just got tired of all the stress from it. Started being lazy and got caught up with finishing school and a new job so I slowed down on training for a year. But I am finally back in the full swing.

Everybody talking about injuries, I snapped my collarbone about a year in to training. Had to get surgery and get a plate on it. Always thought that was pretty cool.

Damn i need to get me some of that style lol. Maybe start eating Acai too. Good luck with the ribs, hope your return goes well. Howd you injure them in the first place?

Ive been back to class but fucking sporadically as hell. Its annoying me, i want to be more consistent, but with my own class anxiety and external commitments it hasnt been easy. Only 2 classes in the last 2 weeks. I just keep telling myself "some BJJ is better than no BJJ".
I had planned on training tonight but then got reminded i have to pick my wife up from a physio appointment at 7 so class has to go on hold. But, in my defence, i almost broke my big toe in class on Monday and have been hobbling around ever since so maybe missing it tonight isn't the worst thing in the world lol. Most embarrasing injury ever. Didnt even pick it up in drilling or rolling but fucking warm ups. Stubbed my toe in the mats during a warm up where your partner has to push you from one end of the room to the other while you resist them. Slammed my toe straight into the mats, its black and blue and a rather angry shade of crimson right now lol
I was helping bigger guys train for a tournament and I think it happened during a takedown. I went back to class yesterday and ribs are again sore today. I thought taking a month off would be enough. I think I'll push through, train, and schedule time off in May when I go off on vacation.

I always wanted a BJJ thread and after one was made I never participated in it. Lol. I guess I'll jump in with you fellows.

Been training about 4 and a half years now. Competed a ton as a white belt and here and there when I started at blue. but I just got tired of all the stress from it. Started being lazy and got caught up with finishing school and a new job so I slowed down on training for a year. But I am finally back in the full swing.

Everybody talking about injuries, I snapped my collarbone about a year in to training. Had to get surgery and get a plate on it. Always thought that was pretty cool.
Welcome, glad to have you here.

I was helping bigger guys train for a tournament and I think it happened during a takedown. I went back to class yesterday and ribs are again sore today. I thought taking a month off would be enough. I think I'll push through, train, and schedule time off in May when I go off on vacation.

Welcome, glad to have you here.

Ribs take a long ass time to heal, I bruised mine and it took weeks to feel right again. I've also managed to strain something in my groin this week too. Fucks sake

Ribs take a long ass time to heal, I bruised mine and it took weeks to feel right again. I've also managed to strain something in my groin this week too. Fucks sake
Had a breakthrough in my recovery. It's been 5 months now and last week I decided to see a chiropractor, a guy who use to train under Rickson Gracie.

He told me that my ribs are in trauma defense mode; my muscles, cartilage, etc were all very tight and compressed. When I train BJJ in the morning I am not properly warm enough so what happens is things begin to tear again. He massaged my ribs with a heating oil and suggested I do the same in the morning and in the evening. Been doing this all week, trained twice already, and have felt awesome, nearly no pain. I've seen 2 different doctors and a PT and none of them ever suggested this treatment. It was all about rest, rest, and don't do this and that.

So glad I can roll hard again.

pr0cs

Went to physio on the weekend to determine if I had a SLAP tear in my shoulder, thankfully doesn't appear to be the case. Pec muscles are actually overworking and creating a lot of pressure in my shoulder point where the nerves are, a side effect of strong chest but weak back. Gave exercises and activities with a hard ball to roll out my pecs daily which seems to be helping.
I was worried that my bjj days were limited but thankfully these old bones still have time on the mats yet.

Went to physio on the weekend to determine if I had a SLAP tear in my shoulder, thankfully doesn't appear to be the case. Pec muscles are actually overworking and creating a lot of pressure in my shoulder point where the nerves are, a side effect of strong chest but weak back. Gave exercises and activities with a hard ball to roll out my pecs daily which seems to be helping.
I was worried that my bjj days were limited but thankfully these old bones still have time on the mats yet.
Hahahah, I have the same issue with my shoulders and pecks.

Banglish

Had a breakthrough in my recovery. It's been 5 months now and last week I decided to see a chiropractor, a guy who use to train under Rickson Gracie.

He told me that my ribs are in trauma defense mode; my muscles, cartilage, etc were all very tight and compressed. When I train BJJ in the morning I am not properly warm enough so what happens is things begin to tear again. He massaged my ribs with a heating oil and suggested I do the same in the morning and in the evening. Been doing this all week, trained twice already, and have felt awesome, nearly no pain. I've seen 2 different doctors and a PT and none of them ever suggested this treatment. It was all about rest, rest, and don't do this and that.

So glad I can roll hard again.

That's awesome to hear you're getting to roll again. I had my first PT session yesterday and I felt really good after it, now just doing the daily exercise and will see where I'm at in a week. I want to go back so badly but I can just feel it, if I go back too early I'm going to aggravate the hell out of my neck and strain it.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"

That is why a good strength training program should be supplemented or added into your jiujitsu training. I know a lot of practitioners do Yoga as well. The thing is that muscle imbalances will always lead to injury in the long run.

It happens when you have a desired hand or path that you majorily use to pass guard or do a certain choke or technique. After time your other arm will be lagging behind and will cause discomfort.

I had a to quit for a while because I was getting back pain but when I started to do more weight lifting exercises in the morning the pain went away. It also improved my grip strength for grabing onto the GI.

My knees on the other hand...

hwalker84

Man I love this shit guys. It's silly that it took so damn long. Maybe i would've stayed in shape if i was doing Jiu Jitsu.

I'm not sure how your classes go but we chill, talk and stretch for about 10 minutes as people roll in. Move demonstration + practice for 45 minutes. Then spar. We do 7 minute rounds when we spar get about a minute break then rotate. Most people roll 2 times 3 max. The more I learn and the better my conditioning is getting the more I'm actually doing shit in those 7 minutes. I only have about 7 true 100% minutes in me grappling another grown man... LOL. After that the second round I'm complete trash... Gotta shed these pounds and get my stamina up.

Man I love this shit guys. It's silly that it took so damn long. Maybe i would've stayed in shape if i was doing Jiu Jitsu.

I'm not sure how your classes go but we chill, talk and stretch for about 10 minutes as people roll in. Move demonstration + practice for 45 minutes. Then spar. We do 7 minute rounds when we spar get about a minute break then rotate. Most people roll 2 times 3 max. The more I learn and the better my conditioning is getting the more I'm actually doing shit in those 7 minutes. I only have about 7 true 100% minutes in me grappling another grown man... LOL. After that the second round I'm complete trash... Gotta shed these pounds and get my stamina up.

I think that's about the norm for most places. 45 mins of warm up/drilling, 15 mins rolling. My new gym does alot of cool drilling/warm up stuff. Like my previous gym it was the same every day, forward rolls, shrimping, etc, to the point where you could do the full warm up without being told what to do.
In the new gym we do shrimping/rolls too but then do more fun stuff like this week we paired up, sat back to back, and on the instructors mark you had to spin around and pin your opponent. Was pretty good fun, aside from the fact I was paired up with a guy who is easily 250-300lbs, about 6"4' lol. I couldn't pin him but I did at least stalemate him which is amazing considering the size disparity!!

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned.

After months of getting smashed and feeling like the world's worst BJJ guy, I took my frustrations out on a noobie tonight. I choked his ass 8 ways from Sunday.

I even told him we'd just roll light. And I don't even feel that guilty about it.

Amen.

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned.

After months of getting smashed and feeling like the world's worst BJJ guy, I took my frustrations out on a noobie tonight. I choked his ass 8 ways from Sunday.

I even told him we'd just roll light. And I don't even feel that guilty about it.

Amen.
Sometimes you're the nail sometimes you are the hammer.

Listening to grapplearts podcast with multiple world champion Bernardo Faria. Really interesting to hear him say he's only really good at his 2-3 go to moves. Plus he doesn't drill moves. If he wants to practice moves he'll roll with blue/purple belts. Theory is practicing moves on resisting opponents is better than drilling but when trying moves on resisting brown/black belts may not give you the repetitions needed.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Oh this turned into a good BJJ thread!

I'm nearly 40 years old and am a four-stripe blue belt. Been training solidly 5-6 days a week for 5 years. I'm bad at BJJ and tons of guys/girls I started with advanced faster than me but I find sheer persistence is a good thing. Just keep showing up, I guess.

My game is real slow and methodical. Too old to spaz. Get comfortable, accept that the fact that the other dude is a 22-year-old collegiate wrestler, and figure out how to trap him.

If anyone is in Seattle and wants to roll, feel free to say hi!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Preach! Tho to be fair I did show him stuff too, I wasn't a total dick about it..

My rule with new people/lower belts is, if you hit two submissions on them in a round, lay back and put yourself into disadvantageous situations (let them take your back, give them an armbar that you can practice escaping). Everybody wins!

My rule with new people/lower belts is, if you hit two submissions on them in a round, lay back and put yourself into disadvantageous situations (let them take your back, give them an armbar that you can practice escaping). Everybody wins!

That's exactly what I did! Well, after 3 subs in a round haha. I showed him how to pull guard, (being the filthy guard puller I am), and just tried to work on passing from his closed guard.

Also, welcome!

Sho Nuff

Banned
That's exactly what I did! Well, after 3 subs in a round haha. I showed him how to pull guard, (being the filthy guard puller I am), and just tried to work on passing from his closed guard.

Also, welcome!

NO SHAME IN PULLING GUARD! My Judo buddy gives me so much shit for doing it though.

Life is amazing. Training is amazing. Like life, training has its ups and downs. Forcing myself to go through the really tough parts has been paying off. My love for Jiu Jitsu grows stronger the more I do it. Still a white belt, of course. When I think I know stuff about bjj something comes to change my entire idea on the art itself. It's ever growing. Positive though? I have become far more technical in recent months. I've stopped relying on strength and rely more on technique and flow now. I'm starting to get what they mean about flow as well. It's like moving like wateri n continuous rapid movement. Basically, Jiu Jitsu becomes more fun the more I do it, which I didn't think possible. I now go five times a week and I kinda don't lift anymore. I just do bjj and yoga. I hope my physique doesn't suffer because of it, I'm proud of my Chun Li butt/thighs and don't want to lose them.

One thing that has helped me become more technical is using people's bodies for leverage rather than their clothes. Seems simple, but when you're framing in a side control escape, using the opponents shoulder against them rather than just grabbing their collar, can make a world of difference. More control, more force, more leverage, more space to stick my knee into pivot, escape, and put them in my guard. So now I'm all about learning how to frame against the body rather than the clothes. I'm even applying this while doing a standard closed guard pass.

I'm also currently obsessed with guards and guard passing. I think guard passing is my favorite thing to do. The game of guard playing
Is also fun. Like being in open guard with your legs and keeping them away, teasing a good ol' scissor sweep. I love it.

This is compounded with the fact I have a supportive coach, professors, and team. One of my coaches in particular is becoming a good friend of mine (from my pov lol). Right now I'm trying to get the skills up to par to do well in tournaments. We kind of have high standards at my school so I want to meet them and make the team proud.

I've also started to travel around the country just to view tournaments and soon I will participate. It's been slow going but the more I do it the more I'm starting to fall into the BJJ lifestyle. Planning on a trip to Rio, for instance.

You?

NO SHAME IN PULLING GUARD!
As a bigger guy that likes/wants to play a heavy top game I always find myself pulling guard and then trying to sweep to top. Esp against spazzy white belts (or anyone in general). I feel like I get tired trying to establish dominance & don't have good takedowns from the knees and especially standing.

Spladam

Just saw this thread for the first time tonight, thanks for sharing that article OP, it was a great read and led to hours of tangent internet reading and watching tonight. Good stuff, glad to hear your fully immersed in the BJJ now.

Jeez, that chick is fast.

Fast... or sharp? There's no way you can do that without God-like grip strength. And her technique is A+. Even more unsaid is the savagery of her partner. Being the uke like that requires some amazing fertifude and she safe falls so elegantly, and gets up in speed.

A proper guard pull into closed guard is fine. I hate and punish lazy guard pullers that allow me to grab gi material around their knees preventing them from closing guard. From there I pin the knee to the floor and it's an easy knee slice.

What about pulling guard on the ground?
As long as you can close your guard it's fine.

My closed guard game sucks and if I'm on my knees or standing and wanna pull, I will collar/arm drag. From there I will work to take the back or wrestle to get on top.

My coaches have really improved my wrestling. Gone are the days when I would wrestle with poor technique and end up with back pain for days. Now I'm always the smallest "big guy" at 180 lbs and nearly always out wrestle guys who outweigh me by 20-60 lbs using proper technique.

Top Bottom