• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thranduil hating on the interracial coupling.
Yeah, I hope we didn't just see him kill her in the trailer.

Am I crazy, or does blood spatter on Thranduil's face at 1:50 after he
attacks(?) her? Slices her throat? What is going on there?

EDIT: Beaten.

Gah... yeah. I wish they hadn't shown that. It looks like he slashes out and her severed arrow and bow flies away and blood splashes on his face. I guess we know what hapens to her.
:(

The Hobbit: Attack of the Clones

hobbit-clones.png

Jesus, that is bad.

Already looks infinitely more entertaining than the entire LOTR trilogy, just like the previous Hobbit films.

Fucking hell I may just have blown a blood vessel. I assume that was your intent, though I hope that trolling gives you more pleasure than these truly dreadful films have.

Damn, is hating on the Hobbit films the norm here? I loved them...

After seeing how many here dislike The Dark Knight Rises though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. (loved that one too :p)

Legolas: "We can't stop here...."
*camera shows reaction shots of everyone as music builds up*
Legolas: "... this is bat country."

After seeing how many here dislike The Dark Knight Rises though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. (loved that one too :p)

One of the reasons is that this one is so far removed from the book and I think more people have read it.

The Hobbit is tonally very different than The Lord of The Rings, now it isn't. That doesn't necessarily have to be bad, but it feels the book is just so much better in how it handles this story. And a lot of elements from Lord of the Rings are just shoehorned into this while they have no place here.

And apparently Peter Jackson needs about a minute and a half to turn one page of a book into a movie.

Blizzard

Banned
I couldn't understand one of the trailer lines even replaying several times. What is being said right after the Hobbit logo?
"This was the last move of [something]"

Finrod

Banned
I was prepared, maybe even expection to hate this trailer.
But it was honestly pretty good.
The white council in Dol Guldur will be awesome to see on screen. Looked like the nine are there too, and with different designs than the ones in LOTR.
Looks like the battle will be an absolute spectacle.

Oersted

It's funny how smaug seems to be a total non-issue despite the two movies before setting him up.

The buildup troughout the movies has been an utter unfocused mess, regarding pretty much everything. Things that happen when 3 movie studios are involved.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I couldn't understand one of the trailer lines even replaying several times. What is being said right after the Hobbit logo?
"This was the last move of [something]"

"this was the last move in a master plan, a plan long in the making"
that one?

BTM

Stoked. Sure, the hobbit films aren't on the same level of Lotr, but to call them dreadful is a bit of a stretch. Only a few weeks to go until we see the last of middle earth on the big screen in a while. It'll be a sad day

Negativity in this thread is a bit disappointing.

Neither of the first two compete with LOTR and I wasn't the biggest fan of Desolation of Smaug but it should be a blast.

WJD

How can these movie look so subpar visually? It's mind-boggling.

This. For what it's worth I've enjoyed both the Hobbit films, but the visuals seem several bars lower than what was achieved in LOTR. Smaug looked great but other than that it feels like Weta have phoned it the fuck in.

JB1981

Lots of CG armies, lots of special effects, lots of violence, lots of action, lots of yelling. Massive CG armies got old after The Two Towers. The entire Middle Earth canvas has kind of worn out its welcome. I will see it because I enjoy this universe but I can't imagine the studio getting much more out of this property after the credits roll on this one ....

Randdalf

This. For what it's worth I've enjoyed both the Hobbit films, but the visuals seem several bars lower than what was achieved in LOTR. Smaug looked great but other than that it feels like Weta have phoned it the fuck in.

Bear in mind that they generally cut CGI work close, sometimes finishing it days (or even hours) before the premiere. That said, the CGI orc and the bloom look absolutely awful. It's sort of weird considering how amazing the CGI was for the goblins in AUJ.

Hyped for dat White Council though.

inm8num2

That was a solid trailer. I've liked but not loved the Hobbit films so far, but the trailer does a good job of setting the grand and personal scales for the story.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Jesus, that is bad.

If you watch any of the extended feature dvds you see that they work on the movie, literally until the last second.

I wouldn't be surprised if this shot snuck in to show Bard and Thranduil as allies, but is incomplete with the CGI elves.

inky

The thing is, you love everything, and every time you are surprised people don't like it a much as you do.

We just don't have Derrick to point it out anymore :p

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Funny I've always pictured the battle of the fire armies being bigger than the battles in LotR, probably because the old animated Hobbit movie made them look way bigger and now here they look bigger.

Ridley327

Because the LotR trilogy didn't extensively use CGI.

I think there's a little bit of a difference between how the trilogies used CG. LOTR used it for stuff that wasn't possible otherwise, whereas the Hobbit films use it on stuff that didn't even need to be CG. Nearly every orc and goblin is CG now, which looks really ropey compared to the large amount of actors in makeup and costume they had in the LOTR films. It's approaching George Lucas levels of "even the furniture the actors are sitting on is CG" over-reliance.

And I say that as someone who likes the Hobbit films more than most.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Because the LotR trilogy didn't extensively use CGI.

LOTR utilized an effective blend of CGI, backpaintings, location, and constructed set shots to make the world feel really lived in.

The Hobbit films have always (and seem to continue to) over relied on the CGI component for backgrounds that are "shown off" with large sweeping shots that make everything seem pristine, overly smooth, overly shiny, or generally just fake looking.

One of the reasons is that this one is so far removed from the book and I think more people have read it.

The Hobbit is tonally very different than The Lord of The Rings, now it isn't. That doesn't necessarily have to be bad, but it feels the book is just so much better in how it handles this story. And a lot of elements from Lord of the Rings are just shoehorned into this while they have no place here.

And apparently Peter Jackson needs about a minute and a half to turn one page of a book into a movie.

The Hobbit book is not a good book at handling these things. That book glosses over so much.

Lynd7

Some of those shots looked cool, some of the CG still is slightly off putting.

I think Jackson and co initially made the right call in approaching The Hobbit from the post LOTR's perspective. But, it probably would have worked better with two movies at the most.

Also, I think they probably should of not tried to straddle comedic and serious and just gone full LOTR's tone the whole time. That's mainly talking about the first film though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom