• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Humiliation of Aziz Ansari"

SonicSleuth

The letter the Babe writer sent to Banfield is as close to a hit job on feminism as I've ever seen... from a feminist. They stir up a situation that isn't worthy of public scrutiny, then respond with anti-woman vitriol against their critic. Smh.

But then again, this isn't about feminism, it is? It's not about Aziz Ansari. It's about clicks. And they have had millions of clicks.

Xfader

Banned
Babe is basically a collection of the worst people from a discussion forum. Reading their other headlines shows they're just a collection of millenial morons.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think the woman is dumb but I appreciate she didn't oversell the story, I imagine that would be easy to do. People have to stop looking for society to save them, there has to be personal responsibility.

Aziz could have just chilled also when the lady said no two separate times too. Lets not forget that.

I think it’s fair to say they both play part in the blame game. He shouldn’t have been so pushy, she should’ve been verbal in saying no.

Pretty much this.

OrionFalls

She's not identified. How could he?
It doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to work out who to sue. She hasn't been identified, but I'm pretty sure he knows exactly who this encounter was with. He might be dumb, but he's not that dumb. It wouldn't be in his interest to sue anyway.

Calling this “rapey” is a fucking joke and makes a mockery of anyone who has actually been raped and/or sexually assaulted. Same with watering down these terms with bullshit like “sexual misconduct”. It was two people who barely knew each other trying to have a sexual encounter. It was bad, but he didn’t do anything wrong. By her own admission.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Pro tip: When a guy is beyond certain point, the only thing that will stop him from trying to have sex is orgasm.

Don't expect a guy to just stop, watch a movie and cuddle if hes horny.

If your not feeling it, just leave.

Oh man you can’t be more fucking wrong.

I can recount multiple times when things were getting hot and heavy with the gf and she will throw out the “not in the mood” signal or just say and boom full stop. I say “ok” stop what I was doing. Finsh it myself, or go play video games. Fuck it. Anything other than sex at that point.

Point being. People can stop what they are doing if they are told to stop.

Calling this “rapey” is a fucking joke and makes a mockery of anyone who has actually been raped and/or sexually assaulted. Same with watering down these terms with bullshit like “sexual misconduct”. It was two people who barely knew each other trying to have a sexual encounter. It was bad, but he didn’t do anything wrong. By her own admission.
As someone who is married, I can say that we both make mistakes reading each other sometimes.

My wife has asked before what’s wrong you seem upset. And my response was nothing at all. I’ve done the same to her. We’ve known each for years, have to children.

It’s not too surprising to me that 2 people who don’t know each other wouldn’t know what the other person was trying to say non verbally.

I can recount multiple times when things were getting hot and heavy with the gf and she will throw out the “not in the mood” signal or just say and boom full stop. I say “ok” stop what I was doing. Finsh it myself, or go play video games. Fuck it. Anything other than sex at that point.

Only thing weren't just "hot and heavy" between them. They kissed and had oral sex.

Don't know about you, but I'd be pissed if my gf did this to me. Thanks god she's not stupid and she would never tease me like that.

There's no way around it. If she didnt want to have sex with him, she should have left the moment he tried to kiss her.

Dunki

Also let us not forget that they had no sex this evening and he called her also an uber when she made crystal clear she does not want to. So she went home but way too late for her own self

Raziel

How? Even famous feminists are going against this. This is the best open letter for this whole thing

Reactions like this must really shake up people at the other forum, because a lot of it can be applied to the incident involving this site's owner.

Last edited:
Reactions like this must really shake up people at the other forum, because a lot of it can be applied to the incident involving this site's owner.
Unlikely. I’ve seen too many comments that insist you must not have read, or you simply don’t understand if you don’t agree with a certain narrative.

Twitter : if you think Aziz is innocent, you aren’t understanding the issues.

So everyone else is just wrong.

I think someone already said Reset closed the thread once media didn’t agree to blame Aziz.

Unlikely. I’ve seen too many comments that insist you must not have read, or you simply don’t understand if you don’t agree with a certain narrative.

I think someone already said Reset closed the thread once media didn’t agree to blame Aziz.

They moved to a topic called: Babe.net reporter (Aziz story) sends e-mail to HLN that was better left as an unsent draft.

It's yet another massive topic with all kinds of opinions in it. You need to get off your own bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunki

This is a good video actually.
So you think its good to a let children tell lies about feministic topic and blindly follow some bullshit ideology? You think it is great to let children tell how eventually one of them of them getting raped and sexual assaulted? Yeah I can totally see that these kids not getting affeted by this. If you tell women every fuking day how dangerouss it is how dangerous the world/men are to women then of course they will lose any encouragement parents taught them. This is the perfect way to raise victimized women and not strong independent women.

But you do you....

Last edited:
They moved to a topic called: Babe.net reporter (Aziz story) sends e-mail to HLN that was better left as an unsent draft.

It's yet another massive topic with all kinds of opinions in it. You need to get off your own bullshit.
That could be. I feel like there may have been a time gap between the 2 threads.

I know there was a mod edit in the OP that said any members suggesting Grace should have left would face disciplinary action.

Or was all that bullshit?

Edit... they closed the thread Monday, and the thread you are speaking of was created Wednesday??? How is that moving the discussion?

Last edited:

SonicSleuth

I was just reflecting on something. And it's gonna sound victim-blamey, but I'm okay with that.

A young lady said that a bad date with a celebrity, where she went back to his apartment and he was really insistent they get naked, is one of the worst nights of her life. And the rest of us are somehow supposed to see how this reflects all of male/female interactions.

Celebrities get what they want, a lot. Aziz wanted to get laid. It was obvious to her (apparently) from the restaurant that he wanted that. She still chose to go back to his apartment, a pretty clear signal to anyone that she might actually do that. Then, she assented to a bunch of other sex stuff. And this was one of the worst nights of her life.

This has nothing to do with normal male/female interaction. This is pure insanity. This is a young person who made a mistake and didn't want to blame herself for it, so she told the world about her "abuser". Dating sometimes sucks. Celebrities sometimes suck. Our personal decisions sometimes suck. But none of this... NONE of it... suggests one of the worst nights of someone's life.

Honestly, hearing her version of the events, at what point should she have been like "Ah, you know, I'm not into this?" Was it when he was apparently a pushy jerk at the restaurant? At his place? Later at his place? Later again at his place?

But yeah... a date with a celebrity with dinner and wine and some consensual bad forms of sex is the worst night of her life. And we should all be talking about it and revising generations of male-female interaction as the result.

Xfader

Banned

Then they opened a new one and the snowflakes melted again, so they closed it too.

Raziel

So both threads got locked; that's pretty much what I expected lol.

Btw was the response by the "reporter" to the HLN video above, posted?

wGzspRU.jpg

Embarrassing.

Then they opened a new one and the snowflakes melted again, so they closed it too.
I’m not sure why that individual came at me anyway.

In my post, I said one thing about that site. Simply that they closed the thread once major news sites and people didn’t see it as Aziz is a rapist. Everything else was about the internet, not one site.

Him/her saying that it wasn’t true and they moved the conversation to another thread is... simply not true. More than 24 hours separates the 2 threads.

I have no bullshit to get off of. Just stating the facts.

That could be. I feel like there may have been a time gap between the 2 threads.

I know there was a mod edit in the OP that said any members suggesting Grace should have left would face disciplinary action.

Or was all that bullshit?

Edit... they closed the thread Monday, and the thread you are speaking of was created Wednesday??? How is that moving the discussion?

It's a continuation, there have been 3 and now there are 4 topics on the same subject.

It's a continuation, there have been 3 and now there are 4 topics on the same subject.
I’m not sure what you mean. You said they closed that thread and moved the conversation to another specific thread. That’s not true.

They closed the thread. And almost 2 days later, created the thread you mentioned. And that is not moving a conversation.

Why you are defending that... I have no idea. They closed it because everything that was coming out disagreed with their way of thinking and went against the mod edit.

However since this topic is off topic if you want to continue this, we should probably do so via pm.

Last edited:
So both threads got locked; that's pretty much what I expected lol.

Btw was the response by the "reporter" to the HLN video above, posted?

wGzspRU.jpg

Embarrassing.
Wow.
'Embarrassing' is putting it nicely.

And yes, the nuthouse is still determining what can/can't be discussed. Let's stop talking about it here.

explorer

Basically, if you say the woman could have left his apartment, you get banned for "downplaying sexual assault" in the other forum. In some cases, it's a permanent ban. It's censorship at its worst and does nothing to promote a healthy discussion whatsoever.

It doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to work out who to sue. She hasn't been identified, but I'm pretty sure he knows exactly who this encounter was with. He might be dumb, but he's not that dumb. It wouldn't be in his interest to sue anyway.
Her infomation was leaked actually, but I'm not spilling the beans because I don't feel comfortable spreading her personal infomation any further.

Fnord

I think the article is garbage to be honest since they always use someone like Jessica Valenti however I agree that both are at fault here and this needs to be discussed however that is not happening since people like Jessica only blame men and they have politicized this case and the whole movement to do so. Teaching boys not to rape is the wrong way since most of them know this already. It is like you teach someone not to murder people.

This article is garbage, if for nothing but this line:

"Because Ansari identifies as a feminist and stands up for women's rights, it can be especially hard to determine what is and isn't acceptable about his behavior toward women."

WTF difference does it make what someone claims their social/political stance is on something with regard to their actions*? Because he identifies as a feminist, it's somehow fuzzy how his actions should be judged? GTFO. That's such a wrong-headed way to look at the world.

*Not making a judgement about Ansari one way or the other in this post, just the ridiculous POV of that particular writer.

Fnord

I'll start with him immediately kissing her, grabbing her breast, and undressing her without asking. Then I'll say she said let's relax. Then I'll start with him ignoring that and kissing her and performing oral sex on her anyway.

Quick show of hands... Guys, how many of you have ever asked permission before beginning to undress a woman in an intimate encounter?

I’m not sure what you mean. You said they closed that thread and moved the conversation to another specific thread. That’s not true.

They closed the thread. And almost 2 days later, created the thread you mentioned. And that is not moving a conversation.

Why you are defending that... I have no idea. They closed it because everything that was coming out disagreed with their way of thinking and went against the mod edit.

However since this topic is off topic if you want to continue this, we should probably do so via pm.

The thread had over 1900 replies and got locked for running its course. Every opinion under the sun was in that topic, including debates about that specific thread that was created 2 days later. Of course there were red tags everywhere. The new topics were mere carry-ons with the twist of derriving from a different OP standpoint.

No need to pm though, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

BANGS

Banned
Can we please keep this thread focused on THIS topic on THIS website and not harp on other discussion on other websites? It's pretty embarrassing, if you miss those guys so much go post there...

Can we please keep this thread focused on THIS topic on THIS website and not harp on other discussion on other websites? It's pretty embarrassing, if you miss those guys so much go post there...
I had already posted and seen this. You are right. My apologies everyone.

I thought it would take a little longer for the hit squad of privileged young white women to open fire on brown-skinned men. I had assumed that, on the basis of intersectionality and all that, they’d stay laser focused on college-educated white men for another few months.

You know, fuck that. Fuck that. Fuck that in the ass. If the woman involved did anything in bad faith and actively tried to harm his career in any way simply out of spite, her/his race doesn't matter and the fact that the writer calls her out solely because she's "privileged" and he isn't shows we haven't learned anything from any fucking thing at all regardless of where you stand on this subject. People should take a fucking stance and either believe every woman that comes out accusing anyone or believe in due process and only come to conclusions after everything has followed its legal course. Either is fine, just stop taking moronic middle grounds based on politically correct bullshit creating exceptions for shit you have no way of knowing how it happened, moral grandstanders are the fucking worst.

You know, fuck that. Fuck that. Fuck that in the ass. If the woman involved did anything in bad faith and actively tried to harm his career in any way simply out of spite, her/his race doesn't matter and the fact that the writer calls her out solely because she's "privileged" and he isn't shows we haven't learned anything from any fucking thing at all regardless of where you stand on this subject. People should take a fucking stance and either believe every woman that comes out accusing anyone or believe in due process and only come to conclusions after everything has followed its legal course. Either is fine, just stop taking moronic middle grounds based on politically correct bullshit creating exceptions for shit you have no way of knowing how it happened, moral grandstanders are the fucking worst.

The article was not made in good faith, think of it that way.

llien

Not sure I could follow you on two points:
1) That you refer to her position as some sort of middle ground. She is quite clear about who is privileged in her opinion.
2) No way of knowing what? Her assessment is based on Grace's words alone. Author doesn't assume she was lying,

She isn't alone in attacking the alleged victim (I was surprised by the tone of the "open letter" on CNN):

Guys, how many of you have ever asked permission before beginning to undress a woman in an intimate encounter?
Never. On the other hand, I was never asked if I wanted it or not either.

Apparently that's' just an add, but freaking hell...

Last edited:
Not sure I could follow you on two points:
1) That you refer to her position as some sort of middle ground. She is quite clear about who is privileged in her opinion.
2) No way of knowing what? Her assessment is based on Grace's words alone. Author doesn't assume she was lying,

She isn't alone in attacking the alleged victim (I was surprised by the tone of the "open letter" on CNN):

Sorry if my point was confusing, but I tried argue that privilege has absolutely nothing to do with this situation, so bringing it up is petty and opens a dangerous precedent. I'm not saying the author is in the middle ground, but rather that she seems to be implying that there should be one because this is a white woman talking about a black man, which apparently lessens her case. And as is the same case with many of these cases, we have no way of knowing completely what happened, so your interpretation of the accusations depends entirely on where you stand of this subject. Creating exceptions because of race, which was implied in that bit I quoted, is idiotic and completely counterproductive.

Thing is, up until that point the article made some sense I guess, but it had to go full stupid as if this situation isn't bad enough.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But she didn't say no she continued to have sex. She is responsible for her actions not Aziz.

She said that she doesn't feel comfortable. My dude if you can't understand that, that means stop in lady speak I don't know what to say. To me that's where he should have stopped completely. Keep in mind he stopped once, then got head a 2nd time (which she was okay with), then tried to have sex with her again and she was like, "didn't I say I wasn't comfortable with this".

I agree that she should have been stronger about it though. And this is more of a sex mishap or complication than a sexual assault.

Top Bottom