• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Spanish Wrath said:
Am I the only one all over the internet who finds both games boring as hell?

Specially Ico.
Eh, not everyone is expected to appreciate the subtlety of these games. It's like expecting everyone, including your typical bar hopper, to appreciate great films, books and music. Some people prefer what they want and not force themselves to be "cultured" or what have you.

Not trying to be negative. Substitute "bar hopper" with whoever you can imagine not wanting to play SotC... I'm just going by my own contacts.

andymcc

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Eh, not everyone is expected to appreciate the subtlety of these games. It's like expecting everyone, including your typical bar hopper, to appreciate great films, books and music. Some people prefer what they want and not force themselves to be "cultured" or what have you.

this is a terrible post.

PooBone said:
I worked at a video rental store years ago and we had Ico on the shelf. Based on internet recommendation, I took it home for free 4 or 5 times, and every single time I would quit out of lack of interest or boredom within the first hour. I started that game over several times but when I finally got a decent way into it, I was completely hooked and fell in love. Wonderful game. I bought a magazine with a Shadow of the Colossus demo and then bought that game day one since I knew who the dev team was.

I begun ICO like 4 times and didn't get hooked like you did. I owned two copies of the digipak edition SOTC and sold one because the same happened. I still have the other unopened, with the original seal.

renitou

MoonsaultSlayer said:
It smells inside your ass.

andymcc said:
this is a terrible post.
I'm sorry haha. I couldn't come up with a good analogy. But his question was is he the only one. I'm picturing folks who are associated with my parents and I can NEVER picture them sitting down and appreciating good cinema instead of a blockbuster. You know? Some people won't like these games either. Not saying anything negative.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Well, I haven't forced myself to do nothing. I tried when I was on the mood and didn't liked 'em.

I'm not saying they're not great games, they're just not for me.

Thank god I don't have to be a cultured smat-ass to know what I like.

andymcc

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'm sorry haha. I couldn't come up with a good analogy. But his question was is he the only one. I'm picturing folks who are associated with my parents and I can NEVER picture them sitting down and appreciating good cinema instead of a blockbuster. You know? Some people won't like these games either. Not saying anything negative.

it still sounds pretty negative. :p

Spanish Wrath said:
Well, I haven't forced myself to do nothing. I tried when I was on the mood and didn't liked 'em.

I'm not saying they're not great games, they're just not for me.

Thank god I don't have to be a cultured smat-ass to know what I like.
Oh the cultured part is bothering people? I used quotes to show that that's the wrong way to appreciate these games.

If there's any confusion, SotC is my favorite game of all time and I would never consider myself cultured or anything like that. Relax, folks. Not mocking anyone.

Man

SolidSnakex said:
Here's a pic from earlier this month

gSclG.jpg
A photo of two legends.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

I love both games because the relaxing pacing, the metaphysical painting ispiration, the sound of wind (now in true sorround!) and story/setting.. .some people find these things annoying, de gustibus non disputandum est.

andymcc said:
it still sounds pretty negative. :p
Shoot. Yeah, guess it seems I'm comparing him to those types haha. I'm just answering his question without factoring his reasons in.

"am I the only one...?"

"no, in fact, I know of a certain crowd who don't..."

I'm just excited my package has shipped. I'll be picking up the NA release to play, though. Skipped lunch for the majority of the week to help fund these games haha *faints*

RooMHM

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Everything you said is bullshit to me. Never seen games so overhyped thats those two. ICO is better than SotC in terms of gameplay and performance but still, I see nothing worth of my attention there. And your poetry is a synonym of kind subjectivity to me. Ignoring the huge defaults of a game because it's poetic, this is a fashion nowadays. See Limbo, Braid, maybe even Enslaved?

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Shoot. Yeah, guess it seems I'm comparing him to those types haha. I'm just answering his question without factoring his reasons in.

"am I the only one...?"

"no, in fact, I know of a certain crowd who don't..."

It's much easier to say that some people like slower paced games or games with puzzles and that some do not. that way you're not (albeit unintentionally) shoehorning people into a nonsense subset of "cultured" and "barhopper".

Kinyou

Spanish Wrath said:
I begun ICO like 4 times and didn't get hooked like you did. I owned two copies of the digipak edition SOTC and sold one because the same happened. I still have the other unopened, with the original seal.
Why are you torturing yourself by buying games you don't like? :(

RooMHM said:
Everything you said is bullshit to me. Never seen games so overhyped thats those two. ICO is better than SotC in terms of gameplay and performance but still, I see nothing worth of my attention there. And your poetry is a synonym of kind subjectivity to me. Ignoring the huge defaults of a game because it's poetic, this is a fashion nowadays. See Limbo, Braid, maybe even Enslaved?
I don't even understand how what I said applies to you. I'm describing people very similar to those that I know in real life who wouldn't touch these games simply because there's no action. Your reasons are your own and I'm not judging people with respectable opinions at all.

I am not even sure why players come into a thread of a game they don't like to just write that they don't like that game. I don't like Oblivion but I won't be going anywhere near the Skyrim thread.

Just saying...

Kinyou said:
Why are you torturing yourself by buying games you don't like? :(

I didn't buy ICO, I just rented it.

SOTC buy was an investment. I could get two new copies for 15€ each.

I am not even sure why players come into a thread of a game they don't like to just write that they don't like that game. I don't like Oblivion but I won't be going anywhere near the Skyrim thread.

Its easy, I'm just sharing my opinion and I want to know if other people think the way I do.

I'm not going to ask this on the Cheap-arse thread.

hikarutilmitt said:
It's much easier to say that some people like slower paced games or games with puzzles and that some do not. that way you're not (albeit unintentionally) shoehorning people into a nonsense subset of "cultured" and "barhopper".
Like I said, I was picturing people o know. I used an example of people who wouldn't like the games. The cultured comment is meant to humorously describe types who gush at everything artsy (but failed). Not describing anyone in this thread.

krYlon

RooMHM said:

So why are you here if it's not "worth" your attention?

I honestly don't get why people get offended when others like something they don't.

It's like someone made a personal insult toward you.

Anyway, people let's not get into the whole "you don't get it", "no, you're up your own ass" argument.
Those kind of threads are all over the internet.

andymcc

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Like I said, I was picturing people o know. I used an example of people who wouldn't like the games. The cultured comment is meant to humorously describe types who gush at everything artsy (but failed). Not describing anyone in this thread.

I listen to a lot of avant-garde/experimental music, watch my fair share of art-house cinema, yet whenever i pick up a video game, I like games that are nearly the exact opposite. I still think your posts reek of generalizations. :p

I'm actually a bit worried about SotC improved frame rate. As crazy as it sounds, I feel like the hampered frame rate added to the ambiance of the original.

krYlon

shadyspace said:
I'm actually a bit worried about SotC improved frame rate. As crazy as it sounds, I feel like the hampered frame rate added to the ambiance of the original.

I thought I was the only one! It made the game feel more dramatic somehow

I felt the same about Bangai-O spirits as well

Salaadin

SOTC with an improved framerate is fine. You think its going feel different and it does...but not in a bad way. Once you hop on Agro and smoothly ride across the land without the jitters, youre going to be in love all over again.

Salaadin

Im going to have to disagree. Some games have slowdown that seems to "work" (see ZOE2) but SOTC wasnt one of them. It got jittery as hell at times and just felt sloppy when you started seeing what felt like single digit fps.

FreeMufasa

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'll never forget when I happened to be Christmas shopping years back at a time I had wanted Ico but didn't want to shell out for the ridiculous prices. No one had it used and I just stopped looking and asking.

But yeah, that shopping trip, I see a brand new copy of Ico in SEARS of all places. Thanks to them having a shitty "gaming" section, I scored the game for cheap.

I blame myself. I had so many chances from 2002-2005 to pick it up at low prices but I kept passing it up. I even chose Magna Carta over it ffs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RomanticHeroX said:
Slowdown 100% improved the SotC experience. Maybe not when you're just wandering around, but absolutely during the fights.

Imagine the game never had slowdown, and then they released a version that did. What do you think your opinion would be of the new version with slowdown?

TheExodu5

Banned
krYlon said:
I thought I was the only one! It made the game feel more dramatic somehow

I felt the same about Bangai-O spirits as well

RomanticHeroX said:
Slowdown 100% improved the SotC experience. Maybe not when you're just wandering around, but absolutely during the fights.

get-out-gif.gif

Salaadin

Arsenic said:
Wait, I just realized that ICO is a two-player game as well?
Yes. Im not sure if its something thats unlocked after a playthrough or not but a friend can use a second controller to move Yorda around.
This was in the original European and JP releases, I believe, but not in the US.

TheExodu5 said:
http://mattsko.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/get-out-gif.gif

:(

I made an over the top post on Facebook about how excited I am for this, and one of my friends is joking and says "you should buy this for me because my birthday is the day after." To his shock I said "okay."

You know, however I can spread the love and support the game. Still can't believe it's almost out, finally.

Salaadin

TheExodu5 said:
Misquoted you. :p
:)

I was skimming the SOTC artbook/guide last night. I really wish they found a way to get those cut Colossi into this. From the images, it looked like they were already in the game in some form. I would have been happy with a simple list of names where we could just pick them and warp to a generic battlefield to fight.

That spider one would have been too good.

Arsenic

Salaadin said:
Yes. Im not sure if its something thats unlocked after a playthrough or not but a friend can use a second controller to move Yorda around.
This was in the original European and JP releases, I believe, but not in the US.

That makes sense. I only played the game for the first time about 3 years ago, after wanting it so bad as a kid since it's release (too poor to buy it) but I never remember it being advertised as an optional 2 player experience. Maybe it can be like that in the HD edition

Salaadin said:
:)

I was skimming the SOTC artbook/guide last night. I really wish they found a way to get those cut Colossi into this. From the images, it looked like they were already in the game in some form. I would have been happy with a simple list of names where we could just pick them and warp to a generic battlefield to fight.

That spider one would have been too good.
They'd probably have a ton of AI programming to do if that were the case. I'm sure some were cut because they couldn't figure out how to make the fight compelling and such.

A museum type thing with the unused models viewable in-engine would have been a nice compromise.

Ra1den

RomanticHeroX said:

I agree that the slowdown was not a problem. There are some games where the slowdown ruins certain parts completely, like certain Odin Sphere boss battles. This was most certainly not the case with SotC, it did not impact the gameplay very much. And indeed, it did give certain parts a dramatic slow motion feel. So in some ways I think I'd miss the slowdown as well. Hard to say without playing both though.

Sorry for derailing the thread but I want to clarify that I was commending the guy for not forcing himself to like the game simply because it's so revered. I wasn't comparing him to the people I mentioned... at all.

But anyway. Can not wait.

yggdrasil

RomanticHeroX said:

Please tell me you were able to finish Hard Time Attack with all those dropped frames. I'm not at all picky about framerates in general, but that shit was controller-throwingly frustrating for me. Looking forward to finally getting my Queen's Sword thanks to a stable framerate.

jett

D-Member
yggdrasil said:
Please tell me you were able to finish Hard Time Attack with all those dropped frames. I'm not at all picky about framerates in general, but that shit was controller-throwingly frustrating for me. Looking forward to finally getting my Queen's Sword thanks to a stable framerate.

I personally finished all time attacks on both difficulties. The slowdown didn't really intrude on the gameplay for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RomanticHeroX said:
That's insane. It wasn't like a bullet hell shooter where they continued to draw all frames regardless of performance. When the performance dipped, the game would simply drop frames. The game speed did NOT change at all, it simply appeared choppy. How is that a positive thing? There was no "slow mo" here.

Ra1den

dark10x said:
That's insane. It wasn't like a bullet hell shooter where they continued to draw all frames regardless of performance. When the performance dipped, the game would simply drop frames. The game speed did NOT change at all, it simply appeared choppy. How is that a positive thing? There was no "slow mo" here.

Really? It's been a really long time since I've played it, but I seem to recall actual slowdown.

Spwn

I didn't even know the slowdowns in SOTC weren't intentional until late last year. I agree they gave some moments a dramatic touch. Really excited to experience the game without it.

DryvBy

Amazon wrote this about the price match for Fry's:

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change.

While the Amazon.com website has accurate pricing information, we don't honor prices or savings posted without our permission on other websites. You can visit our pricing policies in our Help pages to read more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468502

Unfortunately we are not able to match the price of the items placed on other website.

Top Bottom