• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JasonMCG said:
Ground, but I could have sword I splurged for the 2-day. Oh well...guess it'll have to wait for the weekend. ;_;

Even 2-day isn't going to get it there on release day unless you are close enough to the warehouse. It probably also depends on your local carrier and whether they'll go above and beyond or just schedule delivery 2 or 3 days later even if they could deliver it in 1.

B-Dex

Canadian products only need French on the packaging if they want to be able to be stocked and displayed on shelves in Quebec is the gist of the "law" up here. A lot of places still get US versions of games/movies.

I don't really mind but it's usually better if they just shrink wrap the bilingual cover over top the US version :p

Sealda

Banned
Anyone got a PAL copy yet? Are they language specific? Is there reversible cover? (I mean ,is it just white on the inside or something there?, i madly hate when the covers are white on the inside).

Takuya

Banned
B-Dex said:
Canadian products only need French on the packaging if they want to be able to be stocked and displayed on shelves in Quebec is the gist of the "law" up here. A lot of places still get US versions of games/movies.

I don't really mind but it's usually better if they just shrink wrap the bilingual cover over top the US version :p
Yep, but they don't stock the U.S. copy ever (or shouldn't be doing so). Luckily a few places do!

Takuya said:
Just picked up a copy at Game Buzz in Downtown Montreal....

BEHOLD FELLOW CANADIANS!

It does have the reversible cover and all (I can see from outside of the packaging), but I'm not opening it until I get home! I went to Game Buzz because I knew that they sometimes sold the U.S. versions of games.
Damn, I don't even know where the nearest Gamebuzz is for me. And I already opened mine so double damn.

JasonMCG said:
Ground, but I could have sword I splurged for the 2-day. Oh well...guess it'll have to wait for the weekend. ;_;

Did you know you could have just used Amazon, paid an additional 99 cents, and had the game today?

Salaadin

BruiserBear said:
Did you know you could have just used Amazon, paid an additional 99 cents, and had the game today?

Newegg had that 29.99 sale so he probably made out with or without Amazons release date delivery.

SkylineRKR

So has this game become more difficult or do I just suck nowadays? I hardly got opportunities to stab the third boss while I remember him being easy on the Ps2. Stamina ran out quickly as well. Even the first boss caused me some problems because of this.

And ehh, the Theme's aren't up yet I guess? code didn't work (PAL copy here).

Sealda said:
Anyone got a PAL copy yet? Are they language specific? Is there reversible cover? (I mean ,is it just white on the inside or something there?, i madly hate when the covers are white on the inside).

My Holland bought copy has Dutch, Spanish, French gibberish on the back of the box. Game is English subbed. And yeah the cover is reversible as I already reversed (see my low quality pic in MarkMan's thread).

kingslunk

ScOULaris said:
There are plenty of places where I can buy it on my way home, but this was my only shot for getting it on my lunch break. I'm starting to get a little worried though. This is indicative of the small shipments that stores are receiving. Only enough to satisfy preorders.

That's typical Gamestop man nothing to worry about really. Gamestop always understocks.

stuminus3

Hmm. I fear I may end up with more HD PS2 games on my PS3 than actual PS3 games.

Looking forward to getting into this though, I've finished Ico a few times but never got very far on SotC. Last time I tried to play the PS2 version on my HDTV my wife flipped over a table then divorced me.

chifanpoe

Games have arrived!

Unfortunately I am not home tell late Friday night to play it. Bad timing for work travel I guess. With these two and Dark Souls my free-time will = taken.

ScOULaris

I swear I feel like Cartman waiting for the Wii, only I'm trapped inside my work rather than outside the store.

sp_1012_01_v6.jpg

I'm going delirious with anticipation here. It's really bad.

Salaadin

SkylineRKR said:
So has this game become more difficult or do I just suck nowadays? I hardly got opportunities to stab the third boss while I remember him being easy on the Ps2. Stamina ran out quickly as well. Even the first boss caused me some problems because of this.

How many times have you played SOTC and did you typically go New Game + on other playthroughs?

Thats what I did and your stamina bar gets so large after so many runs through that you have to really try to get the thing to run out. The last time I started from scratch, I was taken back by how small that bar initially was. Its for the better, imo, but it did take some getting used to.

Reading up on the development of ICO on Wiki. I have skipped the storyline parts, but I came across this and holy shit, hype has reached maximum levels

Ueda's main inspiration for Ico was Eric Chahi's game Another World (Outer World in Japan), which used cinematic cutscenes and lacked any head-up display elements as to play like a movie. It also featured an emotional connection between two characters, despite the use of minimal dialog. Ueda also cited Lemmings, Flashback and the original Prince of Persia games as influences, specifically regarding animation and gameplay style

Two of my favorite games. Especially Flashback. Im aware theyre nothing alike, but if they mean atmospherically etc then yes Im so fucking game

Takuya said:
Just picked up a copy at Game Buzz in Downtown Montreal....

BEHOLD FELLOW CANADIANS!

It does have the reversible cover and all (I can see from outside of the packaging), but I'm not opening it until I get home! I went to Game Buzz because I knew that they sometimes sold the U.S. versions of games.

Attention Takuya...you're wrong. Like...fuckin' wrong.

Fortunately, GAF takes care of me and I printed out a gorgeous alt cover from the custom cover thread.

StuBurns

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Reading up on the development of ICO on Wiki. I have skipped the storyline parts, but I came across this and holy shit, hype has reached maximum levels

Ueda's main inspiration for Ico was Eric Chahi's game Another World (Outer World in Japan), which used cinematic cutscenes and lacked any head-up display elements as to play like a movie. It also featured an emotional connection between two characters, despite the use of minimal dialog. Ueda also cited Lemmings, Flashback and the original Prince of Persia games as influences, specifically regarding animation and gameplay style

Two of my favorite games. Especially Flashback. Im aware theyre nothing alike, but if they mean atmospherically etc then yes Im so fucking game
Another World must have been pretty big in Japan I gather. I'm pretty sure Kojima put it in his top five games.

Takuya

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Yeah...it doesn't have the reversible cover.

Oh....wait...you went to GameBuzz and bought the American version AT Gamebuzz.

xD

Sorry dude. Just replace "wrong" with "awesome".
=P

Even more interesting..

Several game designers, such as Eiji Aonuma, Hideo Kojima, and Jordan Mechner, have cited Ico as having influenced the visual appearance of their games, including The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, respectively. Marc Laidlaw, scriptwriter for the Half-Life series, commented that, among several other more memorable moments in the game, the point where
Yorda attempts to save Ico from falling off the damaged bridge
was "a significant event not only for that game, but for the art of game design". Movie director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) has cited both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus as "masterpieces" and part of his directorial influence. Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead considers, of his top ten video games, "Ico might be the best one".

Salaadin

StuBurns said:
Laidlaw nailed it.

By the way newcomers, do not highlight that, at all.

I got chills reading that.

EDIT:
You can probably say that Agros "death" in SOTC is another one of those moments. I felt like I was punched in the stomach at that part

StuBurns

Banned
Salaadin said:
That moment is pretty much why Ico is my favorite game.
Salaadin said:
EDIT:
You can probably say that Agros "death" in SOTC is another one of those moments. I felt like I was punched in the stomach at that part
SotC does touch on that
moment, but it kind of separates it into two sections. The Ico one uses the central gameplay mechanic as an element of that story telling, which I really loved. Another example of that would be 1-1 in Braid for me.

Bloodsent

_dementia said:
What resolution are you playing it?

Playing at 1080p. I was planning on trying it first to see if it was going to be a problem for me before switching it off and going to 720p, but found it to not be a problem, so I left it. I would rather not have to mess with resolution settings since I use my PS3 for BluRays as well.

After a few more battles, I still have no issues with the framerate, so I don't know if the 1080p was a problem with specific battles or all of it.

Trevelyon

SkylineRKR said:
My Holland bought copy has Dutch, Spanish, French gibberish on the back of the box. Game is English subbed. And yeah the cover is reversible as I already reversed (see my low quality pic in MarkMan's thread).

Thank goodness for that, all that Canadian business had me worried.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I just got my copy. I really like the panning between the Ico castle and the SOTC valley when choosing which game to play.

Salaadin said:

EDIT:

I was gutted over that. I walked away from the t.v. and went outside and sat on the porch. My wife was all...WTF?

AEREC

Does it matter which one I play first (ICO or SoTC)?

Ive played both on the PS2 but never finished (got stuck halfway through ICO and was bothered by the framerate in SoTC).

Sanic

So, I feel stupid for asking this, but how do you LOAD in ICO? At the main menu I can only select new game. No other options, and I did save at the first couch I got to previously.

Zwei

oh ho ho, the UPS man finally arrived with my copy!

Time to revisit SoTC in full HD glory.. or maybe I'll dive into ICO for the first time?.. I DON'T KNOW!

Salaadin

StuBurns said:
That moment is pretty much why Ico is my favorite game.

SotC does touch on that moment, but it kind of separates it into two sections. The Ico one uses the central gameplay mechanic as an element of that story telling, which I really loved. Another example of that would be 1-1 in Braid for me.

I still have to play Braid. I own it but never put the time into it that I should. Ill make sure to do that after I beat Half Life:Source (never played the original HL either).

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was gutted over that. I walked away from the t.v. and went outside and sat on the porch. My wife was all...WTF?

Lol.
I lunged at my TV, yelled NO!, paused the game, and just sat there staring at the floor with my hands on my head.

My sister borrowed the game from me last year and immediately fell in love with Agro so much that actually felt bad knowing what was going to happen. Ill never forget the text I got at midnight a few nights later. She freaked.

AEREC said:
Does it matter which one I play first (ICO or SoTC)?

Ive played both on the PS2 but never finished (got stuck halfway through ICO and was bothered by the framerate in SoTC).
Play Ico first. It's shorter.

Salaadin said:
Lol.
I lunged at my TV, yelled NO!, paused the game, and just sat there staring at the floor with my hands on my head.

My sister borrowed the game from me last year and immediately fell in love with Agro so much that actually felt bad knowing what was going to happen. Ill never forget the text I got at midnight a few nights later. She freaked.

I bought a communal copy of this for some heathen co-workers at my work who have never played either game.

I'm hoping one of them tries to call in a sick day over
the sorrow they feel when they lose the horse.
All things considered...I won't give them a hard time.

StuBurns

Banned
Salaadin said:
I still have to play Braid. I own it but never put the time into it that I should. Ill make sure to do that after I beat Half Life:Source (never played the original HL either).
It's an excellent game, hope you enjoy it, and that hasn't spoiled anything for you I assure you.

DasRaven

Well, my copy is out for delivery from Amazon and with that, I'm out to avoid spoilers.
I played through ICO's original release and loved it and managed to miss SoTC altogether.

So, I'm looking forward to a better than original experience with SoTC and going in completely blind.
Thanks for making the wait feel shorter Ueda-GAF.

Salaadin

bigdaddygamebot said:
I bought a communal copy of this for some heathen co-workers at my work who have never played either game.

I'm hoping one of them tries to call in a sick day over
the sorrow they feel when they lose the horse.
All things considered...I won't give them a hard time.

Youre hoping? Lol, thats cruel.

StuBurns said:
It's an excellent game, hope you enjoy it, and that hasn't spoiled anything for you I assure you.

Cool. I could actually use a game like that right about now. I was just looking for one last week and Braid completely skipped my mind.

Top Bottom