• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (US) *cover reversed*

2m80d50.jpg

29wmh5s.jpg

bunbun777

Just got my copy, jumped into SotC and downed the first two. Looks good. Sounds good too, think I am going to start Ico now, play both together.

ScOULaris

They should have used the Nico art from the main menu on the reverse cover for SotC. Would have looked better alongside the hand-painted Ico artwork.

Salaadin

ScOULaris said:
They should have used the Nico art from the main menu on the reverse cover for SotC. Would have looked better alongside the hand-painted Ico artwork.

Funny thing about the reverse cover is that it shows Colossus #1 with Wander riding Agro even though you have to leave Agro behind to get to Colossus #1.

Erigu said:
Yeah, they talk about that during the round table.
Nice, thanks. Thats good to know.
I bought that book for the pictures.

cackhyena

_dementia said:
My reason would be a trivial one. It's this sense of freedom you get after playing ICO and moving to SotC that is something tangible. There is an oppressive feeling to both games in a sense, but you kinda break free of that in SotC. It's a pallet cleanser in a way.

Damn it went to target hoping to pick this and GOW collection up, but that shit is only on selected games. Now I gotta wait till I get off work and go pick it up at best buy.

Bit-Bit

Someone really need to make the original concept video for Shadow of the Colossus an actual game.

Four players, on hourseback, each with a different role, all trying to take down one massive colossus.

That is just way beyond awesome. It makes me sad that Team Ico is so small. If I ever become rich, I'm funding this idea.

ScOULaris said:

I can see the normal cover bleeding through the Shadow of the Colossus side. Ugh.

*edit - I guess its only in direct sunlight. It happens to be beaming in my office at the moment*

StuBurns

Banned
_dementia said:
Because the end reveals the origins of the horned people. Playing them in release order makes the end a significant twist that affects your understanding of Ico, playing them in chronological order makes the end of SotC a little confusing, and much less meaningful.

It depends if he cares for the story or not though really, I'm sure many don't.

Salaadin

Bit-Bit said:
Someone really need to make the original concept video for Shadow of the Colossus an actual game.

Four players, on hourseback, each with a different role, all trying to take down one massive colossus.

That is just way beyond awesome. It makes me sad that Team Ico is so small. If I ever become rich, I'm funding this idea.

Yeah I think so too.

In a way, Im glad that they didnt do it because the end result was Shadow of the Colossus but its still an idea that I would LOVE to see completed.

I always wondered why few devs ever try to tackle the SOTC type gameplay. There are a lot of games out there with giant bosses that could have tried it. I heard Castlevania LoS did something similar with some bosses but ultimately failed in duplicating SOTCs greatness.

StuBurns said:
Because the end reveals the origins of the horned people. Playing them in release order makes the end a significant twist that affects your understanding of Ico, playing them in chronological order makes the end of SotC a little confusing, and much less meaningful.

It depends if he cares for the story or not though really, I'm sure many don't.
You say this as if it's fact. It isn't. Just shared themes, and such. Timeline and factual connections aren't shared AFAIK.

StuBurns

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
StuBurns is probably going with Ueda's vision/opinion also though..
I am indeed.

I can't be bothered to debate if anyone other than the artist's interpretation holds weight or not. It's sophomoric diatribe.

I suggest playing them in release order, as they were intended to be played. Anyone who disagree's is perfectly welcome to suggest people do the opposite. I don't really care all that much.

StuBurns said:
I am indeed.

I can't be bothered to debate if anyone other than the artist's interpretation holds weight or not. It's sophomoric diatribe.

I suggest playing them in release order, as they were intended to be played. Anyone who disagree's is perfectly welcome to suggest people do the opposite. I don't really care all that much.
That's fine. I subscribe to it myself sometimes. But you spouted it as fact and that there's only one way to play it. I played sotc first but still feel the connection.

But then again, I also knew a lot about ico to begin with.

Im doing ICO first, but only because I know Ill be able to finish it before next Tuesday. I honestly think if anyone has half a brain and some sense of logic and imagination, that they'll be able to draw connections between the two no matter what order they play them in.

StuBurns

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Im doing ICO first, but only because I know Ill be able to finish it before next Tuesday. I honestly think if anyone has half a brain and some sense of logic and imagination, that they'll be able to draw connections between the two no matter what order they play them in.
The connection is clear regardless of the order you play them. It's hard to explain without spoiling anything so I won't try. It's enough to say the impact of the reveal would be affected, maybe not for everyone, but most people I imagine.

It was never some grand mystery or anything, the story came very late in SotC's development anyway.

So, how do I make this game run in 720p? It seems the default is 1080p and no Pixel Fill, which I had to turn on in options (after going through the opening scene in ICO).

StuBurns

Banned
Incitemaybe said:
So, how do I make this game run in 720p? It seems the default is 1080p and no Pixel Fill, which I had to turn on in options (after going through the opening scene in ICO).
You have to do it from you system settings, not in the game.

I'm not on my PS3, but I believe it's 'Display Settings', possibly monitor settings.

neoism

ScOULaris said:
Everything should always be played/watched/read in release order. No matter what.
I only bought this for SOTC... probably in my top 3 of games of ALL TIME. I love Ico but I'm not playing it for a while .. its Shadow alll the way.

I'm off work in 2 hours and I'm going to break a land-spped record getting down there. I never finished ICO so it's going first. I remember it being fairly long but I think I just couldn't figure it out when it first came out.

Just picked up a copy @ Frys for sale 29.99 as advertised. Not sure if it'd because of understock or the popularity or the price, but they are all gone

It's only 1:00pm here :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Incitemaybe said:

You have to uncheck the 1080p box in your system display settings, not in the game (unfortunately).

edit beaten

BeautifulMemory said:
Just picked up a copy @ Frys for sale 29.99 as advertised. Not sure if it'd because of understock or the popularity or the price, but they are all gone

It's only 1:00pm here :(

The Renton, WA (Seattle suburb) store had tons around 11am.

hyduK

Banned
Started with Ico, this shit holds up extremely well. One of the best HD updates I've seen. Perhaps its just the style of the original that translates well.

I have zero time for this, but I feel compelled to pick it up at Frys this afternoon anyway. I never did get around the finishing either on PS2 even though I appreciated the hell out of them.

With all the time put into this remastering, you're telling me a little more effort and maybe some fucking color couldnt be added to the manual?

For Christs sake, Sony.

Fezan

Salaadin said:
Lol.
I lunged at my TV, yelled NO!, paused the game, and just sat there staring at the floor with my hands on my head.

My sister borrowed the game from me last year and immediately fell in love with Agro so much that actually felt bad knowing what was going to happen. Ill never forget the text I got at midnight a few nights later. She freaked.
My mom was watching this game with me whole time...and when this moment happened there were tears in her eyes

I'm not saying this is a new thought, but does anyone agree?

Last Guardian is actually part 1, Shadow of the Colossus is part 2, and Ico is part 3?

Fezan said:
My mom was watching this game with me whole time...and when this moment happened there were tears in her eyes
I'm upset how they
forced a happy ending for the horse after that. Really dulls the impact of that moment :/

Top Bottom