• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Getting literally all of the fruit and all of the lizards in the world is actually gonna be a pretty tough pair of trophies. Are the white-tailed lizards ONLY at the save points? Regardless, those things were damn hard to chase down sometimes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
genjiZERO said:
really? Where at? Works for all games?

Yep, it's somewhere in the system settings menu in the XMB. As far as I know, it should disable both trophy and the "xxx is online/offline" notifications.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Neuromancer said:
Ico was one of my favorite games last gen, and one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait to play it again and show it to my wife.

SotC I'm less bullish on. I liked the concept but I don't know, it never grabbed me the way Ico did. And I hated the ending. Maybe with a better framerate and knowing what to expect I'll enjoy it more this time.

What I really disliked about SotC (besides the frame rate) was the pointless wandering between colossi. Kill colossus > back to temple > ride horse for 30 minutes to get to the next one. I really hated that. And I still do with the HD version.

Grisby

Neuromancer said:
Ico was one of my favorite games last gen, and one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait to play it again and show it to my wife.

SotC I'm less bullish on. I liked the concept but I don't know, it never grabbed me the way Ico did. And I hated the ending. Maybe with a better framerate and knowing what to expect I'll enjoy it more this time.

I played SOTC twice before I got around to ICO and the latter game still grabbed me more. I think it was because I preferred the slower nature and more focus on platforming/puzzle solving.

Ha, I can still remember playing the demo disc of SOTC and my friends coming over and going, "What the hell is that?" This lead to a rather raunchy conversation of where our own magical weak points would be located.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
What I really disliked about SotC (besides the frame rate) was the pointless wandering between colossi. Kill colossus > back to temple > ride horse for 30 minutes to get to the next one. I really hated that. And I still do with the HD version.
Ugh... do you normally hate traveling and exploring in other games?

Oh well, to each his own. SotC for me is what it is (one of the best games ever created) because everything fits in so perfectly. Even the exploring.

krYlon

TTP said:

That's actually one of the things I love the most.
It actually felt like exploration more than any game I've played because of the lack of artificial game cliches. No pointless enemies, no pointless collecting, no illogical puzzles, no brain-dead npcs.
It was just you and the environment, and the environment felt so natural and believable.
It added to the immersion

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yoshichan said:
Ugh... do you normally hate traveling and exploring in other games?

Oh well, to each his own. SotC for me is what it is (one of the best games ever created) because everything fits in so perfectly. Even the exploring.

I don't mind exploring as long as there is something worthwhile to find besides a save point. Exploration in SotC felt to me pretty pointless. Fascinating at first, tho.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TTP said:
I don't mind exploring as long as there is something worthwhile to find besides a save point. Exploration in SotC felt to me pretty pointless. Fascinating at first, tho.
Yeah I can definitely understand that. Finding random architecture and climb up on them while hunting lizards and apples on trees was something that was amazing and entertaining for me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TTP said:

you see the beautiful scenery and random animals roaming around.

Finaika

TTP said:
You can find lizards & stab them.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm perfectly aware of that (finding lizards and stuff). I dunno, it just didn't click for me. And I'm one of those guys who usually explore every inch of game environments. I loved exploring in Flower for example, and even more so in Journey beta.

Corto

MoonsaultSlayer said:
The time I picked up the strategy guide after completing SotC once and saw the high res screenshots I thought "why can't I play THAT version?"

Then over a year later, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is announced for PS3 in HD and my first thought is "I want SotC HD please" and proceeded to make numerous PS3 comments as such.

Then GOW 1+2 collection gets announced and at this point I was sucking whosever dick I needed to get this made. 50 gallons of
mouthwash
later, you have me to thank.

I'm not proud of this post.

Nice! Do Valve next... Maybe HL3 will come out after all.

Yoshichan

_dementia said:
I can't wait for my Japanese LE to arrive!
Playasia right?

Tizoc

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
just a few weeks til it's out?!
HYPE, will prob. trade in some games when getting it for a lower price sale ^_^;;;

StuBurns

Banned
In a sense I think GAF did play a part in getting these ports made. As far as I can tell, the HD Remasters concept was a result of the community reaction to the suggestion of GoW1/2 being included in the GoW3 Collectors Edition via a survey.

It seemed like a no brainer really, there were indeend early 'HD Remasters', Tekken 5, Rez HD, maybe more. I'm not sure why Sony weren't doing it from the start, or at the least from when they dropped PS2 BC from PS3.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
TTP said:
I'm perfectly aware of that (finding lizards and stuff). I dunno, it just didn't click for me. And I'm one of those guys who usually explore every inch of game environments. I loved exploring in Flower for example, and even more so in Journey beta.
I hate exploring in games, but I loved wandering around the overworld in SotC. This game and ICO are pretty much the only times I've felt that videogames managed to cultivate a sense of serenity. The vast majority of game worlds are garish, cacophonous places that I only tolerate because they're a backdrop for enjoyable mechanics. The world of ICO/SotC is one that I enjoy experiencing, independent of mechanics and goals.

Roxas

Was playing Shadow at a game show here in the UK yesterday. In 3D, it was utterly immense. Blew my fucking mind to be honest.

played ICO HD for a couple of hours. Good porting but this is it. Shadow of the Colossus instead look really awesome in HD... i don't have a 3D setup so i can't try this option but for the first time i really want a new tv (hope to see a massive price drop in november so i can afford a 3D Active Tv)

Field

Anyone have the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection theme that comes with the newest episode of Qore? I wouldn't mind seeing preview or pic of it.

Danielsan

Roxas said:
Was playing Shadow at a game show here in the UK yesterday. In 3D, it was utterly immense. Blew my fucking mind to be honest.
Good thing I recently purchased a 3D tv. Definitely interested to check it out in 3D. Even if it does mean the framerate takes a hit.

reKon

Banned
I'll pick this up some time...

So it's going to be Uncharted 3, BF3, this, and hopefully Starhawk and FFX HD soon. All games that are unique from each other, but are brilliant (or will be). I'll be in gaming bliss..

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
seabee said:
Really? I don't know. Brad, or whoever was playing that demo, kept falling off the colossus all the time - to me it seemed extremely frustrating.

It's because most game journalists actually suck at video games. I remember when I went to my first E3, the one before the PS3 launched in '06, I was playing the Heavenly Sword demo. I completed the demo, and the guy running it was like, "You are the first person all day to actually get through this demo and complete it."

Most of the people that had played through the demo were game journalists who have degrees in journalism, but not specifically, "game journalism." I have a sinking suspicion a lot of them landed at gaming sites/mags, because it was a job, not because of a particular passion for gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of journalists that do love gaming, but looking at those "Quick Looks," and "Sneak Peeks," some of the sites post, and seeing how terrible the person playing the game is (the Demon's Souls one almost put me off the game, because the guy was just so bad at it it didn't make the game look fun or enjoyable at all).

I've played Ico and SOTC numerous times. I've also played Demon's Souls numerous times. Ico/SOTC are nowhere near the difficulty level of Demon's Souls. To be honest, it takes quite a bit of mucking up on your part to die in Ico and SOTC. By comparison, dying is incredibly common place in Demon's Souls. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about in terms of frustration and difficulty in SOTC. The game has a very different feel to battles than DS. DS battles are tense, knuckle whitening affairs, while I feel that battling the colossi in SOTC is, I don't know, exhilarating. Maybe it's the soundtrack and the camera movements, but I never felt frustrated facing down a colossi.

EDIT: Field, the dynamic theme is just this pic: http://h5.abload.de/img/ico_screen5_9k96.jpg

It doesn't move or change or anything. It also has some title text on it.

StuBurns

Banned
Figboy79 said:
It's because most game journalists actually suck at video games. I remember when I went to my first E3, the one before the PS3 launched in '06, I was playing the Heavenly Sword demo. I completed the demo, and the guy running it was like, "You are the first person all day to actually get through this demo and complete it."
That's not skill, everyone else got bored and walked away.

Yoshichan

Yeah, SotC is nowhere near frustrating or hard as Demon's Souls... or any other hard game for that matter.

The only true frustrating part was competing with #1 Japanese players in time attack. I got my hopes up with Gaius (#3) because I managed to do extremely well against him... but all other colossi, especially #2 and #7... ugh.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
Getting literally all of the fruit and all of the lizards in the world is actually gonna be a pretty tough pair of trophies. Are the white-tailed lizards ONLY at the save points? Regardless, those things were damn hard to chase down sometimes.

It'll be time consuming, but there are tree and lizard detectors you can unlock to find those things, right? So it'll just be a matter of going to a bunch of points on the map.

StuBurns said:

I don't know, it would be hard to get bored in under 4 minutes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
StuBurns said:

lol. That did cross my mind, but since I'm a big fan of Heavenly Sword, I politely disagree.

EDIT: Collecting all the fruit and lizards wasn't too bad, though it was time consuming. I remember spending a Saturday riding around, hunting them all down. My wife watched me do it. She thought it was fascinating (the environments). She loved the mystery of the environment; all the little groves, streams, ruins, etc.

I think what started me off collecting them all, is that I had realized, despite all the times I had played it, I have never actually explored the world, looking into every nook and cranny of the map. While I was doing that, I was like, "Hey, I should just collect this fruit and the lizards too."

I also managed to (slight location spoiler, I think)
scale the tower to the hidden garden

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I can imagine that 2 hour speedrun trophy in Ico will be just as frustrating as Demon's Souls.

Yoshichan

alr1ghtstart said:
I can imagine that 2 hour speedrun trophy in Ico will be just as frustrating as Demon's Souls.
It's a good thing I don't care about trophies anymore but I truly feel that they are badly implemented in ICO. If Ueda would choose the trophies, he'd actually put them in so that you'd enjoy the game while getting platinum. Speedrunning ICO is the least thing he'd want you to do. Even if it's your 10th playthrough.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoshichan said:
It's a good thing I don't care about trophies anymore but I truly feel that they are badly implemented in ICO. If Ueda would choose the trophies, he'd actually put them in so that you'd enjoy the game while getting platinum. Speedrunning ICO is the least thing he'd want you to do. Even if it's your 10th playthrough.
You're high if you don't think he signed off on every trophy.

alr1ghtstart said:

what? WTF? wow. i can't believe they put that kind of trophy in.

i guess i'll just play the game without even looking at the trophies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:

Well, a lot of the playtime in Ico (during a first playthrough) is thinking about what to do or trial and error. If you've really played it 10 times, it probably isn't so difficult to shave hours off your time. I'm not saying the trophy will be easy or fun, but I think a person who has played it a ton isn't going to lose much enjoyment from playing more efficiently.

Yoshichan

StuBurns said:
You're high if you don't think he signed off on every trophy.
What do you mean?
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Well, a lot of the playtime in Ico (during a first playthrough) is thinking about what to do or trial and error. If you've really played it 10 times, it probably isn't so difficult to shave hours off your time. I'm not saying the trophy will be easy or fun, but I think a person who has played it a ton isn't going to lose much enjoyment from playing more efficiently.
Yeah it's not going to be hard but I still think the speedrun trophies are off in this one. I truly do not feel that ICO is supposed to be rushed, other cute trophies could've been made that would enhance the experience. Stuff like "stay on the windmill for longer than 30 seconds" to guarantee that people will actually look at the amazing view from the place etc.

Yoshichan

StuBurns said:
I mean if he didn't want it in there, it wouldn't be in there.
Oh... are you sure about that ._.? They're just trophies...

Yoshichan said:
What do you mean?

Yeah it's not going to be hard but I still think the speedrun trophies are off in this one. I truly do not feel that ICO is supposed to be rushed, other cute trophies could've been made that would enhance the experience. Stuff like "stay on the windmill for longer than 30 seconds" to guarantee that people will actually look at the amazing view from the place etc.

Yesh I agree, and I actually thought (similar to you) that a trophy regarding the windmill would of been better. Stare and admire the windmill for 10 minutes or something :)

Y'know, cause its fucking amazing.

Yoshichan said:

i agree with this sentiment, but now that i think about it... we know Ueda thinks of his and his team's games just as games, he doesn't consider them to be art or anything. so it's natural if he wanted to include "gamey" trophies.

i would like to grab him by the collar and shake him and yell into his ear "NO THEY ARE NOT JUST GAMES!!"... goddamnit.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Oh... are you sure about that ._.? They're just trophies...
Yes, I'm sure. It was his decision to even allow the ports, if he can deny Sony twenty million dollars on a whim, he can remove two trophies he doesn't care for.

Top Bottom