• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The
dream
after #7... so fucking scary ;_;

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Muskweeto said:
To all the box art fanatics:
I threw my case in the trash and put the disc in my cd book with all my other games without cases.

COME. AT. ME. BRO!
I would have sold it to a Canadian buyer looking for the reversible cover art.

But I'm with you on putting discs in CD binders and ditching the case (in my case, into storage).. So much easier to manage :p

sublimit

Banned
I'm still considering on purchasing the Japanese LE as i really want the artbook.Do you think it will still be available after two weeks from now?

Muskweeto said:
To all the box art fanatics:
I threw my case in the trash and put the disc in my cd book with all my other games without cases.

COME. AT. ME. BRO!

Do you also eat with your bare hands heathen?!?

JumpingTheGun said:
Both soundtracks on ebay for 15 bucks brand spanking new.

SOLD.

Just so you know, if any Japanese game soundtrack is ever sold for less than $30-40, it's a bootleg 95% of the time. The SotC soundtrack was 2500 yen when it first released.

The songs are the same, I guess. But I've been burned by SonMay, Ever Anime or other types of bootlegs a couple of times so when I really want an OST, I go to CDJapan.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Muskweeto said:
Does it matter that I started playing Shadow of the Colossus before ICO?
I've never played either and I was in the mood to run around killing giant beasts.
Do the games connect in any way important?

I have two reasons why I think Ico should be played first.

1) Ico really sets the stage for the style of game designer Fumito Ueda is. It's a great introduction to a fascinating world. The game play is also rather simple, and the connection between Yorda and Ico is poignant and charming.

2) There is a bit of a connection between the two games, and I'm not going to go into any more info beyond that.

I always recommend Ico first. I think SOTC is the better game, and more "exciting" by comparison. Ico is a kind of slow, measured game in terms of it's game play. It's a puzzle game with a unique visual aesthetic and setting. I never thought I'd love Shadow more than Ico when I first heard the premise, but I feel it's a more polished, satisfying game.

This collection so far, has been amazing. I'm going through Ico right now, and saving SOTC for the weekend.

I also haven't come across the Black bars on the themes thing, or a picture that is too dark.

I'm on a 40" 720p/1080i Samsung LCD. I believe I'm running the games at 1080i at the moment. Aspect ratio is set to 16:9 on the TV. I turned on Full pixel, but then turned it off. I kind of like the letterbox presentation, honestly.

mattp

JumpingTheGun said:
I only played ICO for about 45 minutes last night but already I feel the emotional impact will be staggering in the end. I took a bite and took a glimpse at the intro of Shadow, but quickly turned it off as it was practically "too epic" to take in after experiencing the first few moments of ICO.

This is going to be a hell of a long day at work.

Is it still possible to find the soundtrack for both of these games?
tyM1z.jpg

lol awesome =D I know Ill love Shadow

EDIT: makes me think that someone should make a meme of the History Channel alien guy sayin somthing like "SotC is 'too epic'....therefore aliens."

SiegfriedFM said:
Just so you know, if any Japanese game soundtrack is ever sold for less than $30-40, it's a bootleg 95% of the time. The SotC soundtrack was 2500 yen when it first released.

The songs are the same, I guess. But I've been burned by SonMay, Ever Anime or other types of bootlegs a couple of times so when I really want an OST, I go to CDJapan.

Well Im banking on the 5% chance that the California seller is a dumbass with a real copy and no bootleg. I dont really care. 15 bucks for the both the soundtracks is good enough for me.

Sorry for the double

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In term of darkness, I compared something from Eurogamer comparison screenshots.

What I found out is that PS2 Ico didn't have any actual black colors in the game. Every screenshot there is, if you look at the levels it always starts from 10 or 20, literally never from 0.
(0 would mean that screen has a full black color on it).

Remake however, at least based on their screens, clips the levels range so that what's gray level 10 on PS2 Ico, becomes full black on remake Ico. This was probably done to make it look better on today's HDTVs which are generally bad at displaying dark colors, so having no black by design and making everything gray and above, would probably look terribly washed out on most HDTVs. I wonder how the RBG range setting to Limited would affect this, or in-game brightness setting. I'm sure Eurogamer captures are made with RGB range set to full and and default brightness level.

Has anyone or can anyone make a wallpaper/poster out of the game selection menu screen? The two pictures combined would make for an amazing piece on the wall. Hell, even separately.

yggdrasil

ScOULaris said:
One thing about SotC that I feel is often overlooked is how much post-game content there is. Playing through on Hard Mode is a rewarding experience because of the new vital point locations and increased difficulty, and having Time Attack modes for both difficulties that each yield their own set of unlockable items is a nice touch too.

I can't wait to go through both Time Attacks again in this HD version. I need to get back the invisible stamina circle and huge life bar that I had on my PS2 save.

My favorite combo:
Queen's Sword + Parachute + White Agro.

This post made me drool. I'm really looking forward to finally finishing the Time Attacks on Hard. I don't think I ever got past the
Shaman's Mask
. What's the optimal order for playthrough again? Normal > Hard > Normal + TA > Hard + TA? It's been awhile.

ultron87 said:
I really hope he makes that game one day. I love SOTC, but doing it as a team would be even more amazing.

He's recently said that he's no longer interested in making a multiplayer game. He just wants to focus on single player experiences right now. Of course he could end up changing his mind again.

Shinjiru

USPS delivered my copy today.

Really looking forward to experiencing Shadow of the Colossus again!

Edit: Looking back at my PM history, I am pretty sure discussion of the OPM demo of Shadow of the Colossus is the reason I joined GAF.

SolidSnakex said:
He's recently said that he's no longer interested in making a multiplayer game. He just wants to focus on single player experiences right now. Of course he could end up changing his mind again.
I said this before but NICO on PSVita would be amazing. 4 player / co-op SotC.

Phatcorns

yggdrasil said:
This post made me drool. I'm really looking forward to finally finishing the Time Attacks on Hard. I don't think I ever got past the
Shaman's Mask
. What's the optimal order for playthrough again? Normal > Hard > Normal + TA > Hard + TA? It's been awhile.

I would also like to know this. I ended up playing through the game like 3 times before I even realized you got stuff from Hard mode. Never bothered getting past like the third colossus on hard though.

Danielsan

SolidSnakex said:
Thank god. I'm sure that it would have been amazing, but I prefer to enjoy these type of games alone.

eXistor

SolidSnakex said:
Let's hope it never comes to that. True single player games are becoming too much of a rarity, whereas those are the game I value the most.

RBK

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
I still bought the great single players games lol, maybe day 1 or like a week later like ME2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc. Just paying full price for only 15 hours and I'm not sure about replayability, not worth it.

And sorry to go more off topic, but is White Knight Chronicles any good? I'm interested on buying the 2nd.

Davedough

ChiefEdiri said:
I still bought the great single players games lol, maybe day 1 or like a week later like ME2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc. Just paying full price for only 15 hours and I'm not sure about replayability, not worth it.

And sorry to go more off topic, but is White Knight Chronicles any good? I'm interested on buying the 2nd.

Lot of people here love it, I personally found it insanely boring and traded it after only about 10 hours of play.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Any news on a potential PSN release of the individual games? I haven't played either of the games but I want to play SOTC. Ico doesn't interest me.

Would rather just pay for the one I want :(

Wow.

I haven't played through Ico since it came out and I suppose I forgot just how good it was, because I am currently engaged in vicious surprise buttsex all over again.

StuBurns

Banned
Aigis said:
Any news on a potential PSN release of the individual games? I haven't played either of the games but I want to play SOTC. Ico doesn't interest me.

Would rather just pay for the one I want :(
They said it's not happening right now, maybe later. By the time that happens the disc version will probably be the same price as either individual game though.

goonergaz

ok, the themes thing has pissed me off a bit...I planned to have the Ico theme while playing that then switch to SotC when playing that, fucked if I'm waiting to 10th October and I don't want to have to use my JP LE code! :(

on top of that the avatars are a bit rubbish really, I'd much rather have a pic of the colossi than the statue - they just look a bit bland...and there's no Ico ones on the EU PSN, just SotC...

other than that I still just http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY at the impending arrival of these classics...

Holy shit the reversible cover looks awesome! Looks so much classier now.

Can't wait to play SOTC again as the soundtrack gives me chills. Perhaps the best game OST ever...or at least my top 3 without a doubt.

semiconscious said:
9+ hours, & 5 colossi down. i'm taking the 'wander' part of wander & the colossus very seriously :) ...

Delicious. Take your time and soak it up. I almost wish I could play it for the first time again.

Davedough

semiconscious said:
9+ hours, & 5 colossi down. i'm taking the 'wander' part of wander & the colossus very seriously :) ...

Explore the world for white apples. Find and shoot lizards and the birds that fly around. That'll take up some time =)

Pyrrhus

Hot damn! These remasters are so smooth and clean looking. Truly a thing of beauty. Also, the full pixel option in the menus led me on a Google search that ended up teaching me how to turn on 1-to-1 pixel mapping on my TV, so now my PS3 games look better and I can get a proper picture using HDMI for my computer. Is there anything these games don't make better?

semiconscious said:
The Forbidden Land is the most beautiful, haunting open world you'll ever experience. It's one of the few worlds where I can idly wander around without any sort of direction. It doesn't hurt that I simply don't relish the act of killing the colossi - the world is somehow more interesting knowing they're still in it, whether you can see them or not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Siiiiiiiiigh

I'm doing this way too fucking fast but at the same time, I'm not! I can't possibly squeeze out extra minutes at the pace I'm going at atm. I'm discovering, climbing and half-analyzing every findable architecture. I'm hunting all kinds of fruit and lizards, including some of the black ones. I sometimes just stand and look at the scenery for a good minute or two and wish I could grab direct feed screenshots. I slowly, slowly progress through each colossus' phase, taking my time as if this would be my first playthrough. I'm even climbing (very weird) different routes on them. Grabbing the fish, hawks and pigeons is more fun than ever too!

What can I possibly do more :(?
JumpingTheGun said:
Question about SotC: Is the entire area of the map accessible from the get-go or do more areas open up as you kill Colossi?
Lots of the paths are accessible already from the start. Not all of them though - but trust me; you will NOT find yourself cramped into a small place.

JumpingTheGun said:
Question about SotC: Is the entire area of the map accessible from the get-go or do more areas open up as you kill Colossi?
Haven't played it in a few years, but I remember the map gradually opening up. I can't remember what obstacles block your path, though...

cackhyena

Yoshichan said:
Siiiiiiiiigh

I'm doing this way too fucking fast but at the same time, I'm not! I can't possibly squeeze out extra minutes at the pace I'm going at atm. I'm discovering, climbing and half-analyzing every findable architecture. I'm hunting all kinds of fruit and lizards, including some of the black ones. I sometimes just stand and look at the scenery for a good minute or two and wish I could grab direct feed screenshots. I slowly, slowly progress through each colossus' phase, taking my time as if this would be my first playthrough. I'm even climbing (very weird) different routes on them. Grabbing the fish, hawks and pigeons is more fun than ever too!

What can I possibly do more :(?

Lots of the paths are accessible already from the start. Not all of them though - but trust me; you will NOT find yourself cramped into a small place.
Wait, what?

Ok so if I just start out the game and Im riding around looking for apples and lizards, is there a chance I could accidentally bump into....nevermind I dont want to know ;)

Yoshichan

cackhyena said:
Wait, what?
Yes, sir! Ride your horse where there are birds, there will eventually fly a bird right above you. R1 + direction pad UP will make Wander stand. This is where you jump and grab it :)

The fish can be found in water (*DABUM TSHHH*) . Not telling you where though ♥
JumpingTheGun said:
Ok so if I just start out the game and Im riding around looking for apples and lizards, is there a chance I could accidentally bump into....nevermind I dont want to know ;)
Enjoy! Don't mark spoilers below!
Don't tell him colossi spawn!

Yoshichan

Mate... that breaks my heart, seriously... just wow.

Digital-Hero said:
Delicious. Take your time and soak it up. I almost wish I could play it for the first time again.

me too :) ...

Davedough said:
Explore the world for white apples. Find and shoot lizards and the birds that fly around. That'll take up some time =)

my health bar's already huge, but the more important grip circle still got a way to go. i've gotten very good at shooting off lizard tails, rather than just killing them :) ...

Deified Data said:
The Forbidden Land is the most beautiful, haunting open world you'll ever experience. It's one of the few worlds where I can idly wander around without any sort of direction. It doesn't hurt that I simply don't relish the act of killing the colossi - the world is somehow more interesting knowing they're still in it, whether you can see them or not.

anyone describing this as a 10-12 hour game is absolutely playing it wrong :) ...

JumpingTheGun said:
No. You won't encounter anything before you're meant to, if that's what you're asking. The game is set to a pace of "Open, explore, fight, explore, explore, fight, explore, explore, explore...". Each collossus you kill opens up more of the world to explore. It's a sad compromise...

MikeE21286 said:
Oh, god...Is the disc okay?

Top Bottom