• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

yggdrasil

For those of us who would prefer to spread our 30 hours of playtime out over multiple playthroughs while getting everything, what is the most optimal way to play?

1. Normal
2. Hard
3. Normal + Time Attacks
4. Hard + Time Attacks + all lizards/fruit

Is there a faster way?

I remember playing ICO on the PS2, and my duel shock controller would vibrate as I ran along,
holding hands w/Yorda. It's not vibrating on my PS3. Am I missing something, or has it been removed?

forrest

formerly nacire
Well being as broke right now as I could possibly be I'm thinking of using Gamestop's 50% on trade ins right now to get this. Would trading in the original Sotc and Ico be a bad idea? Do they hold any particular value? It would seem to me that owning them both on one disc with greatly improved performance would be a no brainer.

Deified Data said:
No. You won't encounter anything before you're meant to, if that's what you're asking. The game is set to a pace of "Open, explore, fight, explore, explore, fight, explore, explore, explore...". Each collossus you kill opens up more of the world to explore. It's a sad compromise...

actually, the world's almost completely open from the start. i've already visited a number of what i remember to be 'memorable' locations...

Amagon

MikeE21286 said:
Just got my copy in the mail from newegg :(

a9158a63.jpg
Thats sounds about right. Happen to me before buying games at newegg. They'll probably send you a new one instead of you returning the damage game.

semiconscious said:
actually, the world's almost completely open from the start. i've already visited a number of what i remember to be 'memorable' locations...
Ah. As I said, my memory fails me. I'll move at a slower pace this time 'round.

Einbroch

Banned
Thanks game for telling me I could swing on chains. Seriously just wasted 50 minutes falling and dying not knowing how to get passed this room.

I'm all for immersive gameplay with no UI, but that really, really pissed me off. I had to look it up, completely destroying any illusion of this "not being a game".

I need to step away from the game for a while.

reminder

My game will arrive on friday... we have a 3 day weekend (sat - mon) here in germany... and i'm not at home. :/ I have to wait until tuesday after work until i can play it. :( Or maybe monday evening. Still sucks

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Man, I've never had a problem with them previously, but newegg seems to have fucked up in every which way regarding this whole Ico/SotC pre-order thing. It's like their kryptonite or something.

Yeah, I've never had a problem either. Order more PC parts than I can remember. Ironically enough I think this might be the first video game I've ordered.

Setup an Advanced RMA. They ship me the item, once I get it I ship mine out, they hold my CC as collateral and nothing is charged as long I send out the item back to them.

Guess it's the best case scenario At least the disc looks t be OK and I can start playing tonight though --- silver linings!

I guess the question is how many of us would say "fuck it" and just replace the case. As long as the cover itself wasnt torn or damaged in anyway, thats what I would do.

Davedough

JumpingTheGun said:
I guess the question is how many of us would say "fuck it" and just replace the case. As long as the cover itself wasnt torn or damaged in anyway, thats what I would do.

The cover is clearly wrinkled though and that would bug the crap out of me.

Davedough

Throwing this out there. I never played Ico when it launched but played SotC several times through. Is the connection that people are inferring here....

Yorda is quite possibly the same girl that Wanderer lays down on the temple?

Davedough said:
Throwing this out there. I never played Ico when it launched but played SotC several times through. Is the connection that people are inferring here....

Yorda is quite possibly the same girl that Wanderer lays down on the temple?

That's not the connection...but there is one.

Saint Francis said:
I remember playing ICO on the PS2, and my duel shock controller would vibrate as I ran along,
holding hands w/Yorda. It's not vibrating on my PS3. Am I missing something, or has it been removed?

Mine vibrates, but very little. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't read your post.

About the connection between the two games: I always thought that
the horned child that Wander becomes at the end will serve as the legend to the initiate the ritual of sacrificing horned boys in Ico
. That's just how I saw it, not sure if it has been officially explained or not.

Leshita said:
the horned child that Wander becomes at the end will serve as the legend to the initiate the ritual of sacrificing horned boys in Ico
. That's just how I saw it, not sure if it has been officially explained or not.

Same here.

Like...the progenitor of sorts.

Leshita said:
Does anyone else
see a resemblance between the architecture of the Castle, and that of Dormin's Shrine in the Forbidden Lands? Possibly suggesting that land was eventually re-settled by humanity?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
autobzooty said:
how would you like it if the person on the couch next to you farted loudly during the saddest part of your favorite movie? now how would you feel if they told you in advance that they were going to hold their gas and make sure their fart happened at the most inopportune time? you wouldn't feel inclined to wait for god to patch farting out of humans so you can enjoy it uninhibited?
Hahaha, best analogy ever!

Like most things in games, if you don't have the option to turn off a feature such as this, it's kind of sucky.

But come on, at the end of the day, it is a game. Ueda might tell you they're not "traditional" games, and your emotions might tell you that you're experiencing so much more - but that's just because they're good games with a lot of expression. It's still a game, and it's marking your progress. Just tune it out and let the good times roll.

Oozer3993

Saint Francis said:

It's still there. It's very faint though.

SiegfriedFM said:
Just so you know, if any Japanese game soundtrack is ever sold for less than $30-40, it's a bootleg 95% of the time. The SotC soundtrack was 2500 yen when it first released.

The songs are the same, I guess. But I've been burned by SonMay, Ever Anime or other types of bootlegs a couple of times so when I really want an OST, I go to CDJapan.

Hahaha so true. Ah, SM. Those guys are thieves.

kizmah

Just started my first playthrough of Ico ever. Nice start and great atmosphere. Felt great freeing the girl from the cage and even better holdning her hand and pushing onwards.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, been playing ICO for 2 hours or so now, and I really like it. Now sure I'm quite feeling all the emotion and stuff people have been talking about, though... Maybe I'm not far enough in yet?

It's a beautiful game, though. While it doesn't look like a current-gen game (those of you who are saying that are deluding yourselves), it doesn't look dated enough to bother me in the least either (felt the same way about GoW Collection). Much of that comes down to the great art and design, I guess. And 1080p sure is a treat, makes it very crisp and nice to look at!

StuBurns

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Now sure I'm quite feeling all the emotion and stuff people have been talking about, though... Maybe I'm not far enough in yet?
Yeah, not yet really assuming you're not ripping thru it, keep going.

OK Im stuck in the Chandelier Room
Ive already resulted to a YT vid and I can get up to the rafters where the chand is below, but in every video, the rafters are raised at angle so you can get a good drop on it. They arent raised whatsoever in here. What am I doing wrong?

JumpingTheGun said:
OK Im stuck in the Chandelier Room
Ive already resulted to a YT vid and I can get up to the rafters where the chand is below, but in every video, the rafters are raised at angle so you can get a good drop on it. They arent raised whatsoever in here. What am I doing wrong?
Did this part this morning.
I was able to just jump on it. Can't remember it's elevation, but it's accessible via a well-placed jump.

ultron87 said:
Stupid black tendrils. I'll escape you one of these times
Oh my god - the never ending struggle. What's everyone's longest period of time before being caught?

JumpingTheGun said:
I could listen to this Save Couch music all. damn. day.

like something out of a dream..
luke_s_crash_site02.jpg
Yes! Every time I save, I end up zoning out for about 5 minutes just listening to that lilting tune. Makes me want to curl up and take a nap.

My tv's banding and temporary picture persistence has me crying inside. I need a new tv. And I can't get the brightness at a desired level for the life of me in sotc. When it looks right in the daylight, it's too dark in the shaded areas. When it looks just right in those areas, it's too washed out and foggy in the light. I just want to enjoy my favorite game ffs.

Maybe I'll break out the ol' 27 inch tuber.

GQman2121

Banned
Is the art that is in the middle of the selection screen (when you pick which game to start) anywhere online? It looks like a ocean, but there's stuff going on too.

RoadHazard said:
So, been playing ICO for 2 hours or so now, and I really like it. Now sure I'm quite feeling all the emotion and stuff people have been talking about, though... Maybe I'm not far enough in yet?

It's a beautiful game, though. While it doesn't look like a current-gen game (those of you who are saying that are deluding yourselves), it doesn't look dated enough to bother me in the least either (felt the same way about GoW Collection). Much of that comes down to the great art and design, I guess. And 1080p sure is a treat, makes it very crisp and nice to look at!

For a ten year old game, its holding up pretty damn well. I think that's sentiment that most people are giving off.

Grayman

Persona7 said:
Newegg does not control the game once they ship it.

Blame whoever delivered the item.
It can be newegg's fault. Tiger Direct fucked up a box of mine then put their inspection tape all over it. Newegg may have better quality control but warehouses are not immune to mistakes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
camera controls for SOTC are inverted. "Normal" is inverted, yet "Inverted" is normal. Strange. It also looks like they used the 4:3 menus and stretched them, instead of using the 16:9 menus. Maybe I'm imagining things.

I've noticed a change in shadow. The area where you face the 4th colossus has trees along the side. On ps2, they were flat sprites that spun as you walked around them. Now they're filled out with intersecting flat sprites to give a fullness and no longer spin in place.

Top Bottom