• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GQman2121 said:
For a ten year old game, its holding up pretty damn well.

Definitely! Like I said, it's a beautiful game, and it doesn't look dated enough to bother me in any way, but I do think it's more obvious that this is a last-gen game than was the case with GoW Collection (especially GoW II - which I realize was released over 5 years after ICO and is probably the most impressive PS2 game ever made).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
alr1ghtstart said:
camera controls for SOTC are inverted. "Normal" is inverted, yet "Inverted" is normal. Strange. It also looks like they used the 4:3 menus and stretched them, instead of using the 16:9 menus. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Menu is stretched... but you don't really have to go in there much. Kind of a non-issue.

forrest

formerly nacire
Well I broke down and traded in a heap of old games to get this collection and put down a sizeable chunk on Rage PC at Gamestop. I feel so dirty! On a side note the employees were really helpful which was a bit unusual from my normal gamestop visits.

Now to disappear into the HD world of Ueda...

Grisby

_dementia said:
It'll be even tougher forme once Dark Souls drops.

And I'm planning on picking up three games from the XBLA sale. And there are Subway Uncharted codes to get tomorrow.

Feels overwhelming man. Someone knows this feel I'm sure.

alr1ghtstart said:
camera controls for SOTC are inverted. "Normal" is inverted, yet "Inverted" is normal. Strange. It also looks like they used the 4:3 menus and stretched them, instead of using the 16:9 menus. Maybe I'm imagining things.
The menus (and other GUI elements - stamina circle, healthbars) were stretched in the ps2 version as well.

In fact, I can't think of a widescreen PS2 game where that wasn't the case. God of War I/II and Final Fantasy XII both had stretched GUIs, as did the God of War Collection.

As a random side note, did anybody ever notice that the minimap in Final Fantasy XIII was clearly designed to be a circle, but was stretched vertically to be an oval (looked like your typical 4:3 to 16:9 stretch)? It annoyed me to no end, especially given how other elements of the GUI were obviously not stretched at all.

Well this game taught me that my plasma needed to be set to "non-standard" in the RGB menu and Full on the ps3 itself. Now the blacks aren't so crushed and my color in general pops alot more. Thanks Ico/SotC collection!

plasmasd

The 3D in SOTC is the best 3D I've ever experienced. Its like playing a whole new game. Must just be due to the massive landscape. First time to ever get nervous of heights in a videogame.

plasmasd said:
The 3D in SOTC is the best 3D I've ever experienced. Its like playing a whole new game. Must just be due to the massive landscape. First time to ever get nervous of heights in a videogame.
According to reviews the 3D is even better in Ico!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Incitemaybe said:
Well this game taught me that my plasma needed to be set to "non-standard" in the RGB menu and Full on the ps3 itself. Now the blacks aren't so crushed and my color in general pops alot more. Thanks Ico/SotC collection!

Most TVs do not support Full Range HDMI. It's mostly for computer monitors. You're just going to crush black detail with it on. ICO/SOTC are supposed to have that washed out look.

AEREC said:
Newegg Defense Force est. 2011
Yeah really.

Mostly though I'm irritated at how long their shipping has taken. I still haven't gotten my copy from them yet. (Ran out last night to the store instead, glad I did.)

AEREC

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Thats sounds about right. Happen to me before buying games at newegg. They'll probably send you a new one instead of you returning the damage game.

That sucks...Im ordering Dark Souls from them (first time using them for games), I hope it gets delivered unscathed.

Ive been using amazon for the past few years and there game are always in perfect condition when delivered.

Angry Fork

Newegg is just as awesome as Amazon when it comes to stuff. They have to be since they mainly sell computer parts. That shipment was a result of whatever carrier shipped it. Blaming newegg doesn't make sense.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh well...

Just finished it.

brb, gonna cry for another 15 minutes and think about what to do next with my life...

Unity2012

plasmasd said:

_dementia said:

Great News. Thank you.

An-Det

I'm at a standstill in Ico. I'm at this point (2.5-ish hours in, area called Water and Wood) in the game, but the
metal bar I'm hanging off of ends here (different from the video/original game), and there is a slab beneath the landing that implies it is supposed to launch me up. However, it doesn't get near high enough, so I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

Spoilered just in case.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can't decide if I want to trade in some games and get this or just put it on my Christmas list and keep the games for something later in the year, decisions decisions.

makingmusic476 said:
As a random side note, did anybody ever notice that the minimap in Final Fantasy XIII was clearly designed to be a circle, but was stretched vertically to be an oval (looked like your typical 4:3 to 16:9 stretch)? It annoyed me to no end, especially given how other elements of the GUI were obviously not stretched at all.

To me it just looks like they just tried to give it a 3D'ish like look, say if you looked at a compass straight on and then leaned it back slightly.

An-Det said:
I'm at a standstill in Ico. I'm at this point (2.5-ish hours in, area called Water and Wood) in the game, but the
metal bar I'm hanging off of ends here (different from the video/original game), and there is a slab beneath the landing that implies it is supposed to launch me up. However, it doesn't get near high enough, so I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

Spoilered just in case.
Oh, wow, they put that back in.

GBONZZZZ

Friends, my girlfriend just bought this for me.. I was about to ask which I should start first, then realized that 20 other people asked before me....Ico it is!!!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
An-Det said:
Any suggestions?

Spoilered just in case.

it does launch you up, it's just a pain to time it correctly. Start holding jump right before it shoots up. It might take awhile. There's another obstable outside that is pretty hard that wasn't originally in the US version.

And I'm loving the interview and their laughing at the US Ico cover.

RedSwirl

I never really noticed how advanced the mechanisms in Ico's castle were. The artstyle makes you think dark ages or pre-Columbus, but a lot of the technology is clearly 19th century.

Synless

Saint Francis said:
I remember playing ICO on the PS2, and my duel shock controller would vibrate as I ran along,
holding hands w/Yorda. It's not vibrating on my PS3. Am I missing something, or has it been removed?
Its doing it for me.

An-Det

alr1ghtstart said:
it does launch you up, it's just a pain to time it correctly. Start holding jump right before it shoots up. It might take awhile. There's another obstable outside that is pretty hard that wasn't originally in the US version.

And I'm loving the interview and their laughing at the US Ico cover.

Thanks, that got it. My timing was totally off, so I figured I had missed something before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Incitemaybe said:
Out of curiosity, what TV do you have, and what settings did you use before you just changed them?

_dementia said:
I was looking at what 3D looks like in both, using cross-eyed method on youtube, and they both look really great in 3D. It's more pronounced and epic looking in SotC than what Eurogamer editor led me to believe. Framerate suffers in SotC, that's for sure though.

RoadHazard said:
It's a beautiful game, though. While it doesn't look like a current-gen game (those of you who are saying that are deluding yourselves)
Well, not if you compare them with the best, but so many current gen games are really ugly, animate terribly in comparison, and have lighting setups and texture work that looks like it's done by a pre-schooler in comparison.

Lord Error said:
Well, not if you compare them with the best, but so many current gen games are really ugly, animate terribly in comparison, and have lighting setups and texture work that looks like it's done by a pre-schooler in comparison.
Ico and Yorda's run animations are really amazing, not sure if it's just charm and the characters but it's so pleasing to look at. I'm trying to think of anything this generation that comes close, and I can't.

Lord Error said:
Out of curiosity, what TV do you have, and what settings did you use before you just changed them?
I have a 50in Panasonic Viera plasma and I had the ps3 at full RGB.

I have always kinda noticed the detail lost in the darker parts of the image, but it never bothered me till Ico. Basically I found the RGB settings on the Tv itself and noticed it was on Auto, which was the same as Limited. I then changed my Tv to "non-standard" in RGB settings and the dark parts of the image became visible while also keeping the heavy blacks and the colors are noticeably more awesome......

So now the system and the tv match RGB outputs and it fixed my problem :)

vazel

Banned
MrCookiepants said:
Yep. And thanks.

ICO's puzzles can be so cryptic. :/ Tempted to look at a guide.
No don't! Ico's puzzles are naturally designed. They make logical sense there's nothing cryptic about them. Just keep at it.

KingK

I'm almost 3 and a half hours into ICO
Just opened the first (east?) gate thing

Really loving the game so far. I've played Shadow a couple times already (and it's my favorite game ever), but I've never played ICO before now. The fantastic animations and art style have helped the game really age well.

neoism

Leshita said:
Oh man, I just realized some of these battles are a total cakewalk for me since I played this game before and kind of remembered how to defeat them, combine that with the jump and stab and they just die too fast to be satisfying. I literally finished off the
mini
Colossus in around a minute and a half (or so it seemed). :/
same with me also, but I always go to about 6 saves points, and at least 5 or so trees. Then I fought the first two colossi easy easy... lol Hunting lizards is too much fun.. lol

Reveirg

vazel said:
No don't! Ico's puzzles are naturally designed. They make logical sense there's nothing cryptic about them. Just keep at it.

So true. I have such a bad photographic memory that I normally hate those kind of puzzles in games.

Ico does all the right things though. It flows naturally, without being dumb!

Einbroch

Banned
I don't mean to rip on a game that so many people love, but...man, I'm really not enjoying Ico that much. I'm to the
Waterfall
and it's just frustrating controls and unexplained mechanics. I don't know why everyone goes crazy for the music, I've heard like, two songs. The intro and the death music.

And I'm not really feeling the characters either, and it doesn't make sense.
The black evil mother person is all "Just leave my daughter alone and leave this place" then locks the gate. Two totally contradictory actions.
Also, why does Ico even care about Yorda? Yeah, humanity and compassion, but if I was just left to die I wouldn't give up my chance for freedom over someone I just met.

I don't know, this game just isn't that good. I could get over the controls if I actually cared for the characters, but I frankly don't give a shit about a kid I know nothing about and a girl who I know even less about.

I'll beat it, though. I'm not flaming, so any replies like "u hav bad taste" or "ur wrong" can take their comments to GameFAQs. If someone actually wants to dispute my claims with facts or their actual opinions, have at it.

Top Bottom