• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

SparkTR

Anybody else having trouble redeeming their dynamic themes from PSN? It's telling me the code is either out of date or inputted incorrectly, I've tried it several times.

About 3 hours into ICO..it is so haunting.

09/28/2011 04:45:00 ARRIVAL SCAN NEWARK, NJ, US
09/28/2011 03:02:00 DEPARTURE SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US
09/27/2011 23:40:00 LOCATION SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US
09/27/2011 22:13:00 ARRIVAL SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US
09/27/2011 21:31:00 DEPARTURE SCAN EDISON, NJ, US
09/27/2011 19:50:00 LOCATION SCAN EDISON, NJ, US
09/27/2011 14:20:00 ORIGIN SCAN SECAUCUS, NJ, US

Lol NewEgg is just terrible. If my game comes damaged i'm going to be pissed.

neoism said:
same with me also, but I always go to about 6 saves points, and at least 5 or so trees. Then I fought the first two colossi easy easy... lol Hunting lizards is too much fun.. lol

Yup same here, I spent 85% of my playtime locating save points, killing lizards, eating fruits (they are so tricky to locate sometimes with all the leaves and branches in the way :p)... oh yes, also grabbing animals.

Shawsie64

Banned
Hurry up play asia!

How do these games look in 3D? Never played either of them and got the collection and a new 3DTV coming this week :)

onken

Einbroch said:
I'll beat it, but so far this game is WAY overrated. I'm not flaming, so any replies like "u hav bad taste" or "ur wrong" can take their comments to GameFAQs. If someone actually wants to dispute my claims with facts or their actual opinions, have at it.

Your problem is right here. As soon as you say something is overrated it means "this game is rated higher than it SHOULD be, because my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong". Which makes you come off like a pompous ass.

Einbroch

Banned
onken said:
Your problem is right here. As soon as you say something is overrated it means "this game is rated higher than it SHOULD be, because my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong". Which makes you come off like a pompous ass.
Name-calling, that's good. I'm sure to take your opinion more seriously now.

You chose to focus on that instead of the rest of my post? Okay, I'll edit that line out. Now respond. Besides, you know, insulting and just saying "ur wrong".

Defunkled

Einbroch said:

You chose to focus on that instead of the rest of my post? Okay, I'll edit that line out. Now respond. Besides, you know, insulting and just saying "ur wrong".

Please, enlighten us on why you think the game is overrated.

whoaholyshit.

i just realized i played through SotC on PS2 without using save points or getting upgrades. :lol
i also don't think i had any clue how to do the stunt riding on Agro either...

ahh, the miracle of trophies.

SparkTR said:
Anybody else having trouble redeeming their dynamic themes from PSN? It's telling me the code is either out of date or inputted incorrectly, I've tried it several times.
They don't come out for the EU until Oct. 10th.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Einbroch said:

You really didn't say anything substantive... the game has a minimalist style that doesn't seem to resonate with you. Fine. You're entitled to your own opinion and tastes, but you're in the minority.

corrosivefrost said:
whoaholyshit.

i just realized i played through SotC on PS2 without using save points or getting upgrades. :lol
i also don't think i had any clue how to do the stunt riding on Agro either...

ahh, the miracle of trophies.
How do you "get" upgrades/what's the nature of them? It's been a minute.

soldat7

Einbroch said:
I don't mean to rip on a game that so many people love, but...man, I'm really not enjoying Ico that much. I'm to the
Waterfall
and it's just frustrating controls and unexplained mechanics. I don't know why everyone goes crazy for the music, I've heard like, two songs. The intro and the death music.

And I'm not really feeling the characters either, and it doesn't make sense.
The black evil mother person is all "Just leave my daughter alone and leave this place" then locks the gate. Two totally contradictory actions.
Also, why does Ico even care about Yorda? Yeah, humanity and compassion, but if I was just left to die I wouldn't give up my chance for freedom over someone I just met.

I don't know, this game just isn't that good. I could get over the controls if I actually cared for the characters, but I frankly don't give a shit about a kid I know nothing about and a girl who I know even less about.

I'll beat it, though. I'm not flaming, so any replies like "u hav bad taste" or "ur wrong" can take their comments to GameFAQs. If someone actually wants to dispute my claims with facts or their actual opinions, have at it.

You're attacking one of the most cherished games ever made, and then challenging people to "come at me brah!" ?

Ridiculous.

Einbroch

Banned
Defunkled said:
Please, enlighten us on why you think the game is overrated.
I've already posted my reasons, but I'll make a list:

- You know nothing about any of the characters
- Because you know nothing, you don't care about the characters' fates.
- Because you don't care about the characters, why should you care about the story?
- The controls are sloppy.
- Things aren't explained. For example, you have to swing on a chain early on. Never is it explained, shown, or hinted at that you can swing. To make matters worse, holding down circle for less than a full second does almost nothing. I hit circle a lot of times, saw a weird animation, but thought it was just regrabbing the chain or something.
- The combat is janky and all over the place. I know it's not the appeal of the game, but it's there, and it's pretty prevalent. It's also really easy once you get a better weapon and know how to exploit it.
- It's very, very short. Granted, I haven't beaten it, but I've looked at a walkthrough (I wanted the Mace and heard it was pretty much impossible to find on your own) and yes, it's damn short.

There are positives. I don't think the game is bad, I just don't really enjoy it. If you do, that's awesome. I'm not here to rip on your game. I just want other people's opinions about why they like it. Maybe I'm missing something. I didn't like Demon's Souls at the get-go. It wasn't until someone basically told me what I was missing, what I was doing wrong, and what to expect that I truly ended up liking it. And then I loved it.

thetechkid

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
About 3 hours into ICO..it is so haunting.

Lol NewEgg is just terrible. If my game comes damaged i'm going to be pissed.

Same thing happened to me, now that it's a few cities away I expect them to somehow return it to the start for some kind of back up scan or something.

Evolved1

Einbroch said:

- Because you don't care about the characters, why should you care about the story?
- Things aren't explained. For example, you have to swing on a chain early on. Never is it explained, shown, or hinted at that you can swing. To make matters worse, holding down circle for less than a full second does almost nothing. I hit circle a lot of times, saw a weird animation, but thought it was just regrabbing the chain or something.
- The combat is janky and all over the place. I know it's not the appeal of the game, but it's there, and it's pretty prevalent. It's also really easy.
- It's very, very short. Granted, I haven't beaten it, but I've looked at a walkthrough (I wanted the Mace and heard it was pretty much impossible to find on your own) and yes, it's damn short.

There are positives. I don't think the game is bad, I just don't really enjoy it. If you do, that's awesome. I'm not here to rip on your game. I just want other people's opinions about why they like it. Maybe I'm missing something. I didn't like Demon's Souls at the get-go. It wasn't until someone basically told me what I was missing, what I was doing wrong, and what to expect that I truly ended up liking it. And then I loved it.

You lack imagination and any appreciation for "less is more" minimalist storytelling. This game is not made for you.

Phatcorns

Einbroch said:

- The combat is janky and all over the place. I know it's not the appeal of the game, but it's there, and it's pretty prevalent. It's also really easy once you get a better weapon and know how to exploit it.

It's about the way the game feels honestly, and that's it. Does it make you feel that mysterious loneliness and wonder? That strange sense of nostalgia for a place that doesn't exist or that you've never been. It's just you and a girl. You don't know why you're there, but you have this connection to her somehow and you don't know what the right thing to do is, but you're getting her out of there with you. It's not even really a game but more just an experience.

Evolved1

Phatcorns said:
It's about the way the game feels honestly, and that's it. Does it make you feel that mysterious loneliness and wonder? That strange sense of nostalgia for a place that doesn't exist or that you've never been. It's just you and a girl. You don't know why you're there, but you have this connection to her somehow and you don't know what the right thing to do is, but you're getting her out of there with you. It's not even really a game but more just an experience.

If you have to explain this to someone, then what's the point... there isn't one. They missed it. Game isn't for them.

Einbroch

Banned
Phatcorns said:
I see, and like Evolved said, this isn't the game for me then. I appreciate you explaining it to me, this is exactly what I meant by "maybe I'm missing something". I don't think I can wrap my head around it, and I'm glad you all are enjoying it.

It's just not for me.

Incitemaybe said:
There's a mace? I never knew!

Yeah! It was on the trophy list, so I looked up anything missable...and was like "There is no way I'm getting this on my own!"

I had to go to 4 Best Buys to find a copy. The first store showed 1 in stock, it was on hold already, 2nd store showed 2 in stock - both preordered, 3rd store - 1 in stock - preordered, 4th store - 1 in stock, on shelf =D Out of the 6 stores in my area, only 1 had a copy. This thing is flying off the shelves.

Phatcorns

Evolved1 said:
If you have to explain this to someone, then what's the point... there isn't one. They missed it. Game isn't for them.

Yeah, naturally you can't MAKE yourself feel this way about anything, I'm just saying that's why he's not digging the game.

Evolved1 said:
Yep. Sorry Einbroch. Not every game is going to appeal to everyone. It would be pointless for me to argue with you, no amount of facts or opinions will change your mind and would be a waste of everyone's time.

MrPliskin

Banned
Einbroch said:
I see, and like Evolved said, this isn't the game for me then. I appreciate you explaining it to me, this is exactly what I meant by "maybe I'm missing something". I don't think I can wrap my head around it, and I'm glad you all are enjoying it.

It's just not for me.

This is a much better statement than "this game is overrated". :) Unfortunate you don't like it though :(

shadyspace said:
How do you "get" upgrades/what's the nature of them? It's been a minute.

Killing white tailed lizards near shrines (and other places) and eating the tails with O gives you extra stamina for holding/grabbing/etc.

Finding bigger standalone trees you can see fruit in the branches, shoot them with your arrows and consume them with O when they drop, your life bar will extend.

You definitely need the upgrades if you're going to get the hang on to fish/hawk for 30 seconds trophies. :lol

corrosivefrost said:
Killing white tailed lizards near shrines (and other places) and eating the tails with O gives you extra stamina for holding/grabbing/etc.

Finding bigger standalone trees you can see fruit in the branches, shoot them with your arrows and consume them with O when they drop, your life bar will extend.

You definitely need the upgrades if you're going to get the hang on to fish/hawk for 30 seconds trophies. :lol
Yeah, thanks for refreshing my memory. I didn't even know about the fishes and hawks tho lol

Einbroch

Banned
MrPliskin said:
This is a much better statement than "this game is overrated". :) Unfortunate you don't like it though :(
Actually I posted that first post kind of in a fit of anger at this game. :( My fault, I forgot to save, walked away for 3 minutes without pausing, and I think Yorda died. Lost about 40 minutes of gametime.

Einbroch said:

Are you a fan of any other Japanese fiction? It's a hallmark of Japanese writing to go with a minimalistic approach that requires a lot of inference. I can see why a lot of people don't enjoy it, I love the hell out of that style personally.

Einbroch said:
Actually I posted that first post kind of in a fit of anger at this game. :( My fault, I forgot to save, walked away for 3 minutes without pausing, and I think Yorda died. Lost about 40 minutes of gametime.
Oh that sucks dude. Sorry to hear.

Hopefully you can mellow out a little and enjoy the game for what it is next time you play.

.hacked

I stopped at Best Buy after checking online if the store had it in stock. Got there, spent 30 mins waiting for someone to locate one of the 3 copies in inventory and they could not find any of the copies. They assured me another Best Buy 20mins away had it but I just ordered it from amazon on my phone as I was walking out of the store. Why bother shopping anywhere else but amazon?

shadyspace said:
Yeah, thanks for refreshing my memory. I didn't even know about the fishes and hawks tho lol

Neither did I -- I'm learning there's a lot more to SotC than I found in my initial playthrough on PS2 -- I only saved during that playthrough after killing a colossus. Had no clue you could "pray" at the altars in the ruin structures.

The fishes are in the lake in C3.
There's a rock overlooking a big drop in B4, if you stand on it a "Loki" hawk will fly right over your head and you can grab it.

Einbroch

Banned
shadyspace said:
Are you a fan of any other Japanese fiction? It's a hallmark of Japanese writing to go with a minimalistic approach that requires a lot of inference. I can see why a lot of people don't enjoy it, I love the hell out of that style personally.
I used to be. I used to eat it up. I think my tastes have just changed. I guess I was just really, really looking forward to playing this game after hearing so many rave reviews and feedback related to it, but when I actually sat down to play it it just never lived up to what it was in my mind.

Phatcorns

What's kind of funny is I think most people who will really love these games have already found them. I think sometimes things like this will find their way into your life if it's meant to.

I remember when the PS2 first came out there was a demo unit at Target with Ico and I was like, man PS2 has some shitty Zelda clone (yes I was young enough to be a fanboy). Then later in college while the game was still under most people's radars I got a used copy off of Amazon for 6 bucks because I kept hearing how great it was from somewhere (can't remember now). Or maybe Shadow of the Colossus looked so amazing to me that I had to get this one too.

In any case, the game basically found me despite my rejecting it at first. And I really can't explain how these games really feel like they are memories of a past life or something to me.

Evolved1

Reading this thread back I realize I might have come off a bit dickish... wasn't really my intent... I was just sayin'.

Einbroch said:
I used to be. I used to eat it up. I think my tastes have just changed. I guess I was just really, really looking forward to playing this game after hearing so many rave reviews and feedback related to it, but when I actually sat down to play it it just never lived up to what it was in my mind.
Well, here's to hoping you enjoy SotC more than you did Ico. While they do share a lot of thematic and tonal similarities, SotC's gameplay is way, way more engaging and satisfying (at least in an immediate sense).

.hacked said:
I stopped at Best Buy after checking online if the store had it in stock. Got there, spent 30 mins waiting for someone to locate one of the 3 copies in inventory and they could not find any of the copies. They assured me another Best Buy 20mins away had it but I just ordered it from amazon on my phone as I was walking out of the store. Why bother shopping anywhere else but amazon?
Really.

Unless you need it right this second, Amazon is such a pleasant shopping experience compared to just about everything else.

Einbroch

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Reading this thread back I realize I might have come off a bit dickish... wasn't really my intent... I was just sayin'.
To me? No. Not at all.

Well, I'm off to play it again. Cool mind this time. I'm stuck at a part (not that I mind that at all) so here's hoping I can at least advance to the next checkpoint tonight.

Phatcorns

shadyspace said:
Well, here's to hoping you enjoy SotC more than you did Ico. While they do share a lot of thematic and tonal similarities, SotC's gameplay is way, way more engaging and satisfying (at least in an immediate sense).

SOTC is absolutely my favorite of the two. This music is still completely amazing after hundreds of listens and I am so glad I didn't spoil the music beforehand for myself. I was living in Japan when the game came out and I bought the soundtrack but didn't listen to it for two months until I got back home to the US to play it over Christmas break so I would experience the music in the context of the game the first time I heard it.

And now with all this talk about the game I need to play right the hell now.

Defunkled

.hacked said:

I like your style.

LiK said:
My CE still not shipped from YesAsia. WTF

Mine has shipped from Yesasia (shipped a few days ago) I think. Argh, I was afraid that this thing would go OOS so I ended up ordering from multiple retailers... now I have way too many copies. :/

Phatcorns said:
SOTC is absolutely my favorite of the two. This music is still completely amazing after hundreds of listens and I am so glad I didn't spoil the music beforehand for myself. I was living in Japan when the game came out and I bought the soundtrack but didn't listen to it for two months until I got back home to the US to play it over Christmas break so I would experience the music in the context of the game the first time I heard it.

And now with all this talk about the game I need to play right the hell now.
I prefer the act of "playing" SotC, I prefer the act of "experiencing" Ico. And yes, I am aware of how pretentious that sounds.

cnizzle06

Banned
Leshita said:
Mine has shipped from Yesasia (shipped a few days ago) I think. Argh, I was afraid that this thing would go OOS so I ended up ordering from multiple retailers... now I have way too many copies. :/
I'll take one off your hands :)

Top Bottom