• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Phatcorns

Thoraxes said:
Random question: Why are people using codes to get the themes from PSN?
I just used my disc to get them and that worked fine.

Speaking of which, when I tried this, it won't stay set as my theme. It always reverts back to normal. Maybe I need to do that latest system update.

Leshita said:
Mine has shipped from Yesasia (shipped a few days ago) I think. Argh, I was afraid that this thing would go OOS so I ended up ordering from multiple retailers... now I have way too many copies. :/
The 91k figure had to come from somewhere!

Einbroch said:
I've already posted my reasons, but I'll make a list:

- You know nothing about any of the characters
- Because you know nothing, you don't care about the characters' fates.
- Because you don't care about the characters, why should you care about the story?
- The controls are sloppy.
- Things aren't explained. For example, you have to swing on a chain early on. Never is it explained, shown, or hinted at that you can swing. To make matters worse, holding down circle for less than a full second does almost nothing. I hit circle a lot of times, saw a weird animation, but thought it was just regrabbing the chain or something.
- The combat is janky and all over the place. I know it's not the appeal of the game, but it's there, and it's pretty prevalent. It's also really easy once you get a better weapon and know how to exploit it.
- It's very, very short. Granted, I haven't beaten it, but I've looked at a walkthrough (I wanted the Mace and heard it was pretty much impossible to find on your own) and yes, it's damn short.

There are positives. I don't think the game is bad, I just don't really enjoy it. If you do, that's awesome. I'm not here to rip on your game. I just want other people's opinions about why they like it. Maybe I'm missing something. I didn't like Demon's Souls at the get-go. It wasn't until someone basically told me what I was missing, what I was doing wrong, and what to expect that I truly ended up liking it. And then I loved it.

It seems that you enjoy more handholding in your games than what Ico provides.
You may enjoy SOTC more since the designers states the different actions more explicitly (though that game has more actions that you can perform). :)

The reason one should care about the characters even though nothing was explicitly revealed about them is due to the bond of the interactions itself. One should develop some sort of attachment based simply through them witnessing the interactions between the two characters and especially since the player themselves use their problem-solving ability to lead the two protagonists to safety throughout the gameplay experience, some level of emotional attachment is unavoidable. As for there being no affordance of interaction for various objects in the game, I just take that as an encouragement for the player to experiment and play with different objects in order to solve the puzzles. The environment themselves are often quite barren anyway so there is never the burden of having to lift or pick up or interact with every little thing that you see.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Einbroch said:
To me? No. Not at all.

Well, I'm off to play it again. Cool mind this time. I'm stuck at a part (not that I mind that at all) so here's hoping I can at least advance to the next checkpoint tonight.

I've found that, for a lot of games --or any media really-- I have to be in the right mood... it might be a great film or game, but if the tone of it doesn't fit my current mood or circumstance, then my enjoyment can be severely lessened. I'll often turn it off. But it's funny how many times I'll go back to it and appreciate the experience at a different time and place.

Maybe Ico just isn't a game that will ever do anything for you... or maybe it's one of those things better left for a rainy day, when you haven't just purchased it and jumped in with preconceived notions or expectations of emotional gravity. Especially something like Ico that takes a less is more approach, and really is meant to resonate on an emotional level... it's a very unique approach to storytelling in this medium. It's subdued and purposefully vague, and yet full of atmosphere and mystery. That is what folks respond to. The mechanics of the game are... well... they aren't center stage. In a way, you get out of the game what you bring into it. If that makes any sense... I don't know. I try to avoid ever being all esoteric, but Ico is one of the exceptions. For me, the game was almost profound. (lol that sound ridiculous)

vazel said:
No don't! Ico's puzzles are naturally designed. They make logical sense there's nothing cryptic about them. Just keep at it.

I was stuck on the chandelier room.
Needed a bomb. Room had what looked like explosive barrels in it. Turns out they were nothing and the actual bombs were in the next room.
>_>

Takuya

Banned
Leshita said:
Mine has shipped from Yesasia (shipped a few days ago) I think. Argh, I was afraid that this thing would go OOS so I ended up ordering from multiple retailers... now I have way too many copies. :/
How many copies? =P This is the limited right?

RedSwirl

Storyline-wise I think you can figure out a lot about Ico by just paying attention: Why Ico was put in the castle, the queen's plan, etc.

So, I got this collection on Tuesday and immediately that night I started playing ICO. After playing for sometime, I was astounded by the atmosphere. I just love the way the game feels, and the characters are pretty great as well.
Yorda, I don't understand the language that she speaks, but I sure grew fond of her. When the end of the game came and I thought she had gone down with the whole place, it was a somber moment. Luckily, she survived and washed up on the beach, which made me really happy.
I was able to complete ICO tonight and I enjoyed every minute of it. I can't believe I didn't get this game back when it was released on the PS2. At least this collection came out so that I had the chance to play it, and in better quality which is a plus. I'm going to start on Shadow of the Colossus tomorrow and see how that one turns out to be.

Duderz

Banned
Strange question: For those going through ICO, when you reached the waterfall, is there any sound effect for your game? Mine has none at all, wondering if that's normal or not.

Takuya said:
How many copies? =P This is the limited right?
Yup, I have 3 copies, but I'll probably keep one sealed for collection purposes now that I've thought about it.

cnizzle06 said:
Good old Pennsylvania.
Ah, I'm in Canada, shipping will probably be $22 or so using expedited though since that is the only method with tracking to the US (cheapest method with tracking I mean).
I got mine from Yesasia for $117 so I would like to recoup that at least. :/

PM me if you are interested and we can work through the details.

Takuya

Banned
Leshita said:
Ah, I'm in Canada, shipping will probably be $22 or so using expedited though since that is the only method with tracking to the US (cheapest method with tracking I mean).

If it doesn't pan out with him/her I'll be willing (Montreal!)

cnizzle06

Banned
Leshita said:
Yup, I have 3 copies, but I'll probably keep one sealed for collection purposes now that I've thought about it.

Ugh, that's pricey but I'm so tempted.

Are there any unboxing videos out there?

malfcn

The game looks a little blurry when playing. Any scenes though are beautiful.
The first window you hop through to go up the spiral..seems out of place. For some reason that bothered me a bit. @30 seconds, http://youtu.be/b1NgA6zaNYg , looks like you just fall from somewhere.

Will she fall off the bridge when it crumbles if you weren't holding her hand?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny that I don't 'get' people that don't 'get' Ico. I guess it's like an art film in vidja game form, but you'd think most people would at least respond to the beauty of the game and keep swinging at it till it made sense to them. :(

Grisby

Ico's jump animation between Yorda and horn kid has to be one of the best animations ever. Forgot how much I loved that.

Also, the two dynamic themes aren't as good as I hoped. It would have been awesome to see a colossus's or just the ico couple on the couch.

cnizzle06

Banned
I know I'm gonna be kicking myself tomorrow, but I just can't swing that price at the moment :(
Go ahead and give it to the other fellow. I really appreciate the offer though.
*holds back tears*

shadyspace said:
Are you a fan of any other Japanese fiction? It's a hallmark of Japanese writing to go with a minimalistic approach that requires a lot of inference. I can see why a lot of people don't enjoy it, I love the hell out of that style personally.

If that's true, how come the majority of Japanese stories involve characters over explaining everything?

Finally came in from gamefly, time to boil up some Mountain Dew, Dale Gribble style. Only I hate MD so it'll be some darjeeling.

mattiewheels said:
It's funny that I don't 'get' people that don't 'get' Ico. I guess it's like an art film in vidja game form, but you'd think most people would at least respond to the beauty of the game and keep swinging at it till it made sense to them. :(
I had no interest in Ico before, but after continuing to read the thread I think I'm actually going to try and finish it first.

Grisby said:
Ico's jump animation between Yorda and horn kid has to be one of the best animations ever. Forgot how much I loved that.

Also, the two dynamic themes aren't as good as I hoped. It would have been awesome to see a colossus's or just the ico couple on the couch.

I personally love the themes. I like how they're nice and there, but nothing distracting really. A colossus might have been good, but then again, maybe not. Depends on what sort of scale they could've done if they spent enough time on it.

The windmill from Ico with no characters would have made a great dynamic theme I think.

I don't necessarily want to see characters, just landscape/architecture.

cnizzle06 said:
I know I'm gonna be kicking myself tomorrow, but I just can't swing that price at the moment :(
Go ahead and give it to the other fellow. I really appreciate the offer though.
*holds back tears*

No worries, hope you are able to grab a hold of it later down the line. :)

Grisby

corrosivefrost said:
I personally love the themes. I like how they're nice and there, but nothing distracting really. A colossus might have been good, but then again, maybe not. Depends on what sort of scale they could've done if they spent enough time on it.

I had the thought of one just moseying across the screen. The themes are fine. Bit disappointed but fine.

Grisby said:

A lot of the running and jumping animations reminds me a lot of how the kids in Ghibli movies animate when they run, another reason why I love these games so much.
I have a feeling The Last Guardian is going to be like the kids' in Totoro holding onto the creature while he move around. Even some of the architecture like the rail-track like thing that collapses reminds me of a scene in Laputa. :)

EDIT: Think I'm posting way too much in this thread... don't think I have ever posted as much in any other thread before.

RedSwirl

Grisby said:

I know they don't tell you this in the game itself, but horn kid is the titular character (I think they named him in the original PS2 instruction booklet).

MikeE21286 said:
Just got my copy in the mail from newegg :(

a9158a63.jpg

I didn't realize newegg was shipping Limited Edition.. ..

Ico:

First time playing, and so far I'm making out with this white chick on a couch and keeping black dudes away from her using a stick

Shadow Of The Colossus:

Is still fuckawesome.

IrrelevantNotch said:
If that's true, how come the majority of Japanese stories involve characters over explaining everything?
Now when you say that, do you really mean the majority of Japanese stories, or are you just referring to the majority of Japanese video game and/or anime stories? Explaining everything is usually a hallmark of serial stories, which is what most manga are, and then video games take inspiration from that (which makes sense in 70 hour JRPG epics sometimes, but not much else). If you seriously think that most Japanese stories explain everything, I encourage you to try and look into Japanese literature from before the modern era. Once you get into stuff like haikus and the more ambiguous Japanese horror stories, you will see that a lot of Japanese literature is pretty darn unexplainable. Then, there is of course stuff like Murakami and Abe's The Ruined Map, but you said "majority" not "all."

On topic, Play-Asia needs to get Solartorobo in so they can ship both that and the Ico Collection to me...can't wait to play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus with a good frame rate!

Muskweeto

TheShampion said:
Now when you say that, do you really mean the majority of Japanese stories, or are you just referring to the majority of Japanese video game and/or anime stories? Explaining everything is usually a hallmark of serial stories, which is what most manga are, and then video games take inspiration from that (which makes sense in 70 hour JRPG epics sometimes, but not much else). If you seriously think that most Japanese stories explain everything, I encourage you to try and look into Japanese literature from before the modern era. Once you get into stuff like haikus and the more ambiguous Japanese horror stories, you will see that a lot of Japanese literature is pretty darn unexplainable. Then, there is of course stuff like Murakami and Abe's The Ruined Map, but you said "majority" not "all."
I have a feeling he was just joking, making fun of Anime.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so beat the game about three hours go. Then proceeded on with time trial (normal), done with all of them now. Continuing to hard right now.

x3r0123

i bought the ico/sotc collection just to play ico (i already played sotc previously and i missed out on ico). I just beat ico and that game is amazing. There were a few parts where the fps dropped a bit but nothing big. That ending was just awesome....
I guess I should replay sotc in hd since I cant play dota 2 yet

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I finally got the game. Yay!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oooooooon a second thought, I don't give a shit about trophies so fuck hard mode and 3 runs of the game :lol I've got my share of SotC, I'm not gonna ruin it with frustration.

An-Det

I finished Ico 20 minutes or so ago, goddamn that was great. I ended at about 5.5 hours, which I thought was pretty good for a game I knew was going to be short. Definitely going to play through again, since I know there was a few things I missed (since I never got the spiked club or shining sword, that means there are parts I still need to experience), and I want to play it again before I delve into SOTC.

Muskweeto said:
I have a feeling he was just joking, making fun of Anime.
Possible (assuming people are trolling when they give out inaccurate blanket statements is probably for the best), but I can't resist recommending some literature, Japanese or otherwise.

Einbroch

Banned
Beat Ico. 4 hours 52 minutes, probably stepped away from the game for 20, and got stuck at two really obvious parts for like 50 minutes total.

Tomorrow is SotC.

Top Bottom