• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Paches

Colossus #11 Question:

I killed him, but not in the way I think the game wanted me to. I scared him off the ledge with the torch and his armor broke which seems correct, but when I went down I missed his fur tuft and he just rammed me all over the place. Eventually I got in to a corner he couldn't reach and managed to hop on top of him again and kill him. Then the cut scene shot me back up to him in his original temple place with the 4 fire pits and him dying there. Where is he "supposed" to die?

MrCow said:
I finished ICO yesterday and now i'm playing through SotC again.
This time i want to collect all the lizzards and fruits because i have never done that and never tried time attack and new game+ and the hard mode.

so how should i proceed when i want to collect everything?
play through normal first and then collect the lizzards or should i collect them on my first run through and will i keep the lizzards i have collected in the hard mode, too?

and i heard of this lizzard stone thing? what does it do and should i wait until i got it and then go collecting?

If you're serious about collecting everything to get the trophies for it, the only one you can do on the first playthrough is the lizard one (and the save point one). However, if -- like me -- you screw up and just slice off a tail on one of the lizards and do not kill it, your trophy will not pop. Thus the lizard stone would help greatly. The only catch is you need to do the NTA mode after you're on new game+ and NTA, for me at least, is a bitch. I can't get by #3, hence my question above about how to keep a colossi still and if I was missing something in the game's mechanics for not having them thrash around forever after the first stab.

About the fruits: collect enough to max your life gauge, you can do that on the first playthrough, but as the trophy for eating all fruits depends on your grip meter being maxed (or near maxed) the lizards+colossi bonuses in a single playthrough will not be enough for you to obtain all the fruits.

Incitemaybe said:
Count me in the group who doesn't like Trophy notifications in any game, they are very annoying in this game. It should be an option.

I agree it should be an option, just like on 360 for disabling notification. I'm still a bit in disbelief about how a game having trophies is a showstopper though. Different strokes I guess; I love having the trophies personally, but it doesn't stop me if something *doesn't* have them. (See MGS4, DMC4, SSF2THDR, etc -- would I like a patch there? HELL YES. Am I going to get one? Not until MGS4 re-releases as the director's cut probably. :lol)

Paches-EJ- said:
Colossus #11 Question:

I killed him, but not in the way I think the game wanted me to. I scared him off the ledge with the torch and his armor broke which seems correct, but when I went down I missed his fur tuft and he just rammed me all over the place. Eventually I got in to a corner he couldn't reach and managed to hop on top of him again and kill him. Then the cut scene shot me back up to him in his original temple place with the 4 fire pits and him dying there. Where is he "supposed" to die?

Huh... I'm trying to remember back to the original PS2 copy and the issue I had there, where it was like what you describe, but I can't.

For the record:
If you have to hold on to him long enough because you didn't stab fast enough, he will run back up into the temple with the fire pits. I screwed up and had to lure him to that busted structure in the wall so I could jump back on him and after the initial stab, he bucked so much that he had time to run all the way back up there before i could get my final attack in.

Rain_ng

Banned
ashbash159 said:
Just got my copy of the collection today at GAME by using my credit earned by saving up points of my GAME reward card. I got it for free! Pretty happy about that.

So far I have defeated the first colossi and played a little of ICO.

They should have made it clear that the code that comes with the game won't work until the 10th October. I didn't know, so I spent 10 minutes wasting my time by entering the code over and over again!

The 10th?? I heard it was the 3rd? Why is there a delay at all?!

I just came to this realization:
icowalle.jpg

Their personalities aren't the same, but the overall relationship and emotional attachment are.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I think my Colossus stabbing skills have completely ossified in the years since I last played Shadow of the Colossus, because Time Attack is completely embarrassing me.

Getting old is the worst mistake I ever made.

Paches-EJ- said:
Colossus #11 Question:

You're supposed to force him to fall off the ledge, then jump down on top of him and hold on for dear life as he goes bucking up the path back into the temple. As you are now clearly aware, though, it's easy to either miss him entirely or have your grip crap out on you when he stands back up.

He has two distinct death cutscenes that I recall off-hand, the one in the temple that you saw, and one for if you manage to finish him before he gets all the way back where he keels over on the pathway up to the temple. Apparently if you off him someplace the game doesn't expect it defaults to the temple scene.

Finalow

where can i find a good spot to grab an eagle and a fish? (for the 30 seconds trophies)
Then, is there a map with all the save points?

N30RYU

Paches-EJ- said:
Colossus #11 Question:

If you fail in killing him in the first ride, if you make him collide with the fire pits again, once his armor ir broken, you knock him out for a few second and you can ride it again.

warpaint

Got this on the way home from work last night it's my first time playing shadows ever....i guess i missed for some reason last time round but man is it fun have only done 3 clossi and am having a fun time

Cruzader

Banned
abstract alien said:
As said, its obviously a big deal to some the same way it isn't a big deal to you. Different strokes. I turned the game off the moment one popped up and have yet to play it again. I've already played them on ps2, so I'm ok with that. Probably won't be getting the Silent Hill collection if the trophies are going to be as stupid as they have been in past games. That is one series that can not afford to have the atmosphere ruined for me, as the mechanics certainly aren't the shining point of it all.

As far as Ico/Shadow, were there any sort of bug fixes that went into the HD remake that were present in the originals?
Isnt there an option on the PS3 to disable trophy notification? If so, why not do that? Or is that not pure enough? This is somehow so lame and I dont mean to disrespect but to me its like some people exaggerate very little things in life.

malfcn said:
Mine was loose, and from Newegg.
Now this is a serious "issue". Mine came the same way. Im guessing they were shipped like no fuck was given :(

I hope the 2 small chips on the edge of the disk dont mess up the game when its running.

Ico spazzing out on some ledge is a lot more likely to remove me from the experience and say "YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" then a trophy popping up every now and then. Obviously the option to turn off notifications should be there, but people are overstating how much of a problem this is.

W1SSY

The Lamp said:
lol wtf how are people supposed to know this.

Okay ._. I guess if I want to play it again I have to go through all that beginning stuff again.
I am pretty sure it tells you to sit on the couches to save but I could be wrong.

Just downed the fifth colossus and it was amazing. The way that it reacts is great and by far my favorite one yet. I am starting to feel like a dick for killing all these majestic things and that was solidified more with the way the fifth colossus dies.

Cruzader

Banned
whalleywhat said:
Ico spazzing out on some ledge is a lot more likely to remove me from the experience and say "YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" then a trophy popping up every now and then. Obviously the option to turn off notifications should be there, but people are overstating how much of a problem this is.
I wonder what those folks do when they HAVE to access the menu on a game. Not sure if they avoid it altogether(lol) or do what they must while covering their eyes.(lol)

*presses start button* "OMG What the FUNK are these letters and their meaning??!! What the hell is this abomination? I dont deserve this! Damn it I just realized its a game! No fair :'( I LOVE YUNA (that white girl, not sure its her name)" *unpauses* "ah! Back to reality, saving the world! Oh hey look at that bird! So real! My love! Come here and grab my hand!!!! "

soldat7

The opening sequence of Ico is just so dang powerful. Some seriously good stuff there.

I played Ico for the first time several years ago (2007? 2008?), but it feels so fresh. Same with SotC. It's making the wait for Dark Souls that much easier.

I'm about ready to throw a stick through the TV. So frustrated.

So I'm in the waterfall area of Ico.
There's a big room with a piston, which is supposed to throw me high enough to grab a ledge. After that I can get outside and find a water wheel. If I fall into the water here, I get washed away and out into an earlier area. So, now I'm back and I can't figure out the timing for the piston jump. It doesn't help that all FAQ:s mention a ledge that simply isn't there on this version. It doesn't seem like I can do the mace part either. My game is a PAL copy.

Edit: Noticed it has been discussed already. Guess I just need to get the damn timing down. It's frustrating little things like this that I forgot, things that make it hard to really consider it a masterpiece.

radiantdreamer said:
I just came to this realization:
Their personalities aren't the same, but the overall relationship and emotional attachment are.
Wouldn't suprise. There are some huge PlayStation fans at Pixar. I remember hearing about them playing GT5 on the big screen during their lunch breaks.

shawnlreed

finalozzo said:
where can i find a good spot to grab an eagle and a fish? (for the 30 seconds trophies)

There are a few giant hawks in the game that have set routes and are good for long rides.
The beginning of this video shows the one I used. It's near the cave with colossus #10 in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy91KBU34lo
If you stand on the rock near the ledge, he'll always fly over you on his flight patch.
Just jump and grab him.

The best place to grab a fish is the lake just before entering the lair of Colossus #8

ScOULaris

finalozzo said:
Best place to grab a hawk for 30 seconds is by the save temple right in front of where you fight #6. The temple is on an elevated cliff. If you stand at the edge overlooking the entrance to #6, you will eventually see a larger-than-normal hawk flying straight for you. This hawk is really easy to grab on to as it swoops towards you, and it will let you hang on for over 30 seconds. Hope that helps.

As for fish, I know there are some in the watery area before you fight #8.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SiegfriedFM said:

There's a big room with a piston, which is supposed to throw me high enough to grab a ledge. After that I can get outside and find a water wheel. If I fall into the water here, I get washed away and out into an earlier area. So, now I'm back and I can't figure out the timing for the piston jump. It doesn't help that all FAQ:s mention a ledge that simply isn't there on this version. It doesn't seem like I can do the mace part either. My game is a PAL copy.

Edit: Noticed it has been discussed already. Guess I just need to get the damn timing down. It's frustrating little things like this that I forgot, things that make it hard to really consider it a masterpiece.

For the piston jump, press jump as it goes down just before it goes up. If you fall into the water when jumping on the water wheel, you can get out of the water by getting quickly to the left side of the water and pressing jump to climb out.

Your post made me realize I almost missed the
mace
! Good thing I'm still in that water area.

Cruzader said:
I wonder what those folks do when they HAVE to access the menu on a game. Not sure if they avoid it altogether(lol) or do what they must while covering their eyes.(lol)

*presses start button* "OMG What the FUNK are these letters and their meaning??!! What the hell is this abomination? I dont deserve this! Damn it I just realized its a game! No fair :'( I LOVE YUNA (that white girl, not sure its her name)" *unpauses* "ah! Back to reality, saving the world! Oh hey look at that bird! So real! My love! Come here and grab my hand!!!! "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKm5xQyD2vE

Double Rainbow in Ico @ the Waterfall <3. This game is so damn beautiful.

SiegfriedFM said:

Just button mash the jump button? Thats what I did and got it in my first try.

So I finished ICO earlier...*spoilers include ending*
A good game that's aged well, there are certainly some control niggles and a few frustrating sections (CURSE YOU WATER WHEEL!) but it was as good as I was expecting it to be. That said i'm a much bigger fan of SOTC myself.
The ending was solid, I was predicting a bittersweet ending, I was sure that I was correct until there was that after credits scene which proved me wrong and dare I say got slightly misty eyed with joy.
Visuals are amazing by the way, the castle and surrounding cliffs impressed me far more than most of the big hitters this generation due to the combination of art direction and atmosphere. Yes that atmosphere can't be stressed enough.

Now I look forward to re-running through the rest of SOTC, took down the
lake colossus
earlier today, i'd forgotten how fun that one was.

Paches

Just beat SOTC for the first time. I will write my overall thoughts about the game later, but for now...

I didn't find the ending that "sad" really. It was quite obvious to me what was coming down the pipeline when the character's model started to change with each colossus killed. It seemed to me the standard ending was going to be the main character dies somehow and ends up giving his life for the girl he is trying to return to life. No surprises there. I am not sure what the significance of him returning to a baby, maybe someone can fill me in on that.

To be quite honest, I was more surprised/sad/pissed that the goddamn horse fell in to the ravine, so I was happy he came limping back!

Ico can get a bit tricky.

It doesn't exactly tell you what to do. I didnt know I could swing on the chains until looking it up on youtube.

Also somethings Ill leave Yorda in one place then after going away she will respawn in a place it should be impossible for her to get to.

Still a cool game though. Its kind of Portal-ish with the Puzzles in each area and the sense of isolation.

finalozzo said:

May have been answered, but C-3 is a lake with fish.

I think around B-4 or so (the south end cave entrance location) there's a rock you can stand on and have a hawk fly directly over your head.

Make sure you have a lot of grip though.

Here's your save map:
http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/team-ico-games/sotc-lizard-fruit-location-guide

This will show you the rock I was talking about for the hawk grab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTrcK5-aDSU

Never played PAL version of Ico before. Been stuck on the waterwheel for what feels like an hour now. I just keep bouncing off of it. If I do manage to grab it, I don't have anywhere near enough time to jump from it. The NTSC version puzzle was better.
I am jumping from the other side of the river, maybe that's not right.

Also, what is the block for here? Do you drop it down the waterfall? I can't remember why you do that!

edit. Ah of course, thinking too far ahead with the crate. Got to the next save, it was 45 minutes of dicking about. LOLz :)

Bebpo

Banned
Don't jump into the spikes on the wheel. Only jump when the standing part comes by. Jump from the side you came from.

I never had a problem catching on, the problem was always pulling myself up and jumping in time.

Bit-Bit

Paches-EJ- said:
Just beat SOTC for the first time. I will write my overall thoughts about the game later, but for now...

I didn't find the ending that "sad" really. It was quite obvious to me what was coming down the pipeline when the character's model started to change with each colossus killed. It seemed to me the standard ending was going to be the main character dies somehow and ends up giving his life for the girl he is trying to return to life. No surprises there. I am not sure what the significance of him returning to a baby, maybe someone can fill me in on that.

To be quite honest, I was more surprised/sad/pissed that the goddamn horse fell in to the ravine, so I was happy he came limping back!

The significant of him returning is that he begins the bloodline for boys born with horns. Thus leading into Ico a kid born (presumably) generations later into a village and is deemed a cursed and is thus brought into the castle to die. For all we know, Ico could be a descendant of Wanderer.

Or I could be reading too much into these games.

Bit-Bit said:
The significant of him returning is that he begins the bloodline for boys born with horns. Thus leading into Ico a kid born (presumably) generations later into a village and is deemed a cursed and is thus brought into the castle to die. For all we know, Ico could be a descendant of Wanderer.

That's generally seen as what happened. It also explains why the horned children are looked down upon. They exist because of Dormin, and he was once locked away in the Forbidden Lands until Wander decided to resurrect Mono.

x3r0123

SolidSnakex said:
That's generally seen as what happened. It also explains why the horned children are looked down upon. They exist because of Dormin, and he was once locked away in the Forbidden Lands until Wander decided to resurrect Mono.

cant remember the names

wander = the dude
mono = the girl?
what is the horse's name?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just beat it.

What an amazing experience. Holy shit.

played some more.

2 things...

thing number 1.

Hey Yorda climb up the ladder... no dont walk over there....

CLIMB THE LADDER!

THE LADDER!!!! STOP WALKING INTO THAT PILLAR.

thing number 2.

Hey Yorda climb down the ladder.

ok cool.

she sure is taking her sweet time climbing down this big ass ladder.

ok she is almost to the bottom....... OMFG WHY ARE YOU CLIMBING BACK UP THE LADDER!

other that that its a very nice game. got a sword which helps alot.

ScOULaris

ScOULaris said:
I decided to compile a list of some of Time Attack videos for you newbies to check out. These were all done by a player named JarrodMitchell, who used to set world record times and upload them to YouTube a few years back. Some of these runs have since been bested (only slightly), but Jarrod's videos were always the most impressive to me. Some of the tricks you see in these videos were pioneered by him, but others were adapted from the videos of other speedrunners.

Before you dive into Time Attack, yourselves, check out some of these videos for extremely helpful shortcuts. I'd love to see the speedrunning community spring back to life for SotC, since I think it has one of the best Time Attack modes in gaming.

1- (0:23:78) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9w7MPra8WY
2 - (1:06:51) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyE2HiaDI_I
3 -
4 - (0:45:39) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsqjC9cNaE
5 -
6 - (0:36:86) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPCNVYSM_Q
7- (0:58:84) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolquKlxEX0
8 - (1:01:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skan7LMTDB4
9 - (00:38:14) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii4mtG7Yojc
10 - (00:37:67) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yASBZVUfSYQ
11 -
12 -
13 - (1:14:25) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V70QFyK-UI
14 -
15 - (0:53:43) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooHVGmKSWI
16 - (1:41:59) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMqRUFPEaJk

If anyone finds good videos for the ones I am missing, please post them for me to add to the list. I am at work right now, so my video searching resources are limited.

Also, one more ProTip for the day: If you go up next to the corpse of a defeated colossus during a normal playthrough and press O, it will let you replay the fight in "Reminiscence Mode." This just let's you fight that same colossus again only with a film grain effect. Enjoy! :)

Edit: Here are three videos compiling all of the fastest recorded Time Attack runs, if you'd rather watch it that way:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZMyiKOpXI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8IVDddurh8
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXh4VBLniOc

Bumping this old post up since some of you are finally delving into the Time Attack mode for the first time.

And yes, Colossus #3 is the hardest in Time Attack by a mile. Stabbing his stomach vital is always a pain the ass due to his incessant shaking, and there really isn't a shortcut for that part.

I began to fear ladders as I progressed through ICO, those big ones were even worse when I discovered the horrible truth, when I discovered that
I DIDN'T NEED TO BRING YORDA UP THERE ANYWAY!

x3r0123

Nocturnowl said:
I began to fear ladders as I progressed through ICO, those big ones were even worse when I discovered the horrible truth, when I discovered that
I DIDN'T NEED TO BRING YORDA UP THERE ANYWAY!

you dont need her to go up those long ladders. In fact, he refuses in one of them

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Beat Ico the other day, and it was just as rewarding as beating it back when it first released. I think it aged well.

Started Shadow of the Colossus, and downed 4 of them. Holy crap the game looks amazing. I had played both Ico and SOTC upscaled through my PS3 last year, but the visual improvement on SOTC is incredible. Not all the textures are amazing, but the first time you get control of the camera after the opening cutscene, and you are standing in the temple, with the shafts of light streaming down on you, with the girl laying on the stone platform; gorgeous.

Also, playing the game with a smooth as silk framerate has been wonderful as well. It really does feel like the definitive versions of these games.

I'm taking a breather from SOTC, since I need to beat Alice and return it to gamefly, then there's Dark Souls next Tuesday, but the games are just as rewarding and unique as I remember them. It's kind of a shame that that level of unique art design, masterful musical scoring, and game design are so rare.

dock

Ico is my favourite game of all time, and I'm loving it on PS3.

Hate the trophies, but it can't be avoided I suppose.

x3r0123 said:
you dont need her to go up those long ladders. In fact, he refuses in one of them
Well you see that was the shocking twist, worst part is that I did it on both sides, got some extra time to look at the sights due to it though, I love how the camera works in the game.

ScOULaris

So how many of you guys are playing SotC in 720p because of the Digital Foundry article? I gave it a shot, but I settled back into Full Pixel 1080p. 720p did have slightly less vertical artifacting, but the difference is minor and the HUGE subtitles bothered me.

The GUI elements in 720p are two big for me to stick with it.

Cruzader said:
Isnt there an option on the PS3 to disable trophy notification? If so, why not do that? Or is that not pure enough? This is somehow so lame and I dont mean to disrespect but to me its like some people exaggerate very little things in life.

Now this is a serious "issue". Mine came the same way. Im guessing they were shipped like no fuck was given :(

I hope the 2 small chips on the edge of the disk dont mess up the game when its running.
No, you can't turn them off on the ps3. Also, "lol my opinion is better than yours lol" is all your post amounts to. People play games for different reasons, and have different tolerances for certain things in comparison to others. Are you saying it was unreasonable for some to not be able to get into the game due to the pissy framerate on the ps2 as well? Or is that more important for enjoyment simply because YOU believe it to be?

Options will never hurt, and if you are suggesting they will, then I don't know what to tell you. No one is saying get rid of trophies, we are saying give us the option to turn them off...which you can't do as its been stated many times over.

Top Bottom