• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Actually, this game really did a ton of things right considering its design on paper. Having only boss encounters seems like a lot of fun thinking about it, but making each one interesting and keeping it engaging while working with the simplicity of his moveset was probably a challenge. I know anything could be worked out so long as its handled right, but this is something I wouldn't really trust a company to take care of properly.

Exceptional job really.

Grisby

So I finished ICO for the second time last night with the first completion being a couple of years ago. A great game, like I remembered, but with some small flaws here and there. I didn't have so much of a problem with the camera but ICO himself was a lot twitcher then I remember him being. Yorda's AI can sometime take a while to work and while her ladder animations are a great character portrait they also take a bit too long for my liking. Like I said, small nitpicks (as well as some of the stuff below) that pretty much get smashed by the positives.

The main meat of the game, the puzzles, were fine and simple. Simplicity is often mistaken as something negative but it is welcomed here because it allows you to take in everything without getting too frustrated. However, on the other hand there is only one puzzle that feels out of place,
piston jump
, that just left me shaking my head. You never do that in the game but once and I'm a bit miffed that its in this version.

I feel that that enemies have no real purpose in this game other then to annoy you. Its the case of something like Mirror's Edge, where I felt combat could have been left out. I don't know what a substitute would be, but still I think its a fair criticism.

Also, I found it funny how ICO feels like a great isolated experience but it still has 'gamey' things involved with it. Like save couches and giant bombs just laying around to be picked up in a comical manner. Just an interesting observation that me and my friend chatted up about yesterday over dinner.

Still, ICO is a great game, a good 8/10 or so experience and I'm glad seeing so many people here playing it for the first time. I think I'm gonna hold off on SOTC for a bit since I'm playing a lot of Gears and Dark Souls will be in my PS3 in the next couple of days.

Grisby said:
However, on the other hand there is only one puzzle that feels out of place,
piston jump
, that just left me shaking my head. You never do that in the game but once and I'm a bit miffed that its in this version.

I guess that's where I got stuck, in the tall room with the metal rails you shimmy across to pull the lever?

I can't get the timing right.

dsister44 said:
Is anyone else having a hard time finding this game? Wal-Mart, Gamestop, and Best Buy didn't have any copies,
Yeah, the big retail stores sold out around me as well. But every Gamestop in my area has plenty of copies, go figure.

Gvaz

Banned
How the fuck does the first boss take 23 minutes on a speedrun? I beat him in 11 on my ps3 yesterday and I wasn't even doing that great.

JohngPR

I'm up to the East Gate in ICO and the game still holds up....LOVE it.

I will say though, I remember mostly every puzzle I've encountered so far despite the fact that it's been 10 years since I played the game.

They did a wonderful of upgrading the game to HD, it looks great!

ScOULaris said:
So how many of you guys are playing SotC in 720p because of the Digital Foundry article? I gave it a shot, but I settled back into Full Pixel 1080p. 720p did have slightly less vertical artifacting, but the difference is minor and the HUGE subtitles bothered me.

The GUI elements in 720p are two big for me to stick with it.
I've sometimes booted it up on accident at 1080 and noticed a dip in quality. Not sure if it's just me but blacks seem more black in 720.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there any way to manually set your PS3 video display to 720 (3D)? When I go to automatic it sets it as 1080p (3D) and the performance in SoTC sucks. When I do custom it doesn't list any (3D) resolutions to check, only 480/720/1080i/1080p so when I uncheck the 1080s I get 720p resolution and the game runs great but it's not 720p (3D) resolution so I can't use the 3D.

I'd like to play it in 3D with the better framerate of 720p and want to know if that's possible? Otherwise I guess I'll sacrifice the little extra depth nicety of 3D for 30fps. I've already played the game countless times at 20fps!

Yeah, already knowing the 'tricks' is kind of disappointing. It makes the Colossi seem much more simple in general, because you'd have to put in the work figuring out how to fight them.

kingslunk

abstract alien said:
What did you think about it? Was the ending satisfying? I know a few people didn't really care for it...

Yeah I really enjoyed it, I really liked the ending. It wasn't a spoon fed ending which is quite awesome for a video game ending.

kingslunk

I'm looking forward to playing Shadow for the first time, I always get reminded of that Adam Sandler movie (Reign over me) when he's playing Shadow lol.

okay guys i recently finished ico for the first time ever and i confirm it's not "nostalgia goggles" that makes this game good, it has one of the best character relationships i've seen from a game and all of the locations and the magnitude of the castle were pretty amazing.

now i've started shadow and just killed the 2nd collosus and i gotta say that it's a pretty amazing game and from what i can tell so far the musical score is just amazing. but i was wondering are there other things i should be on the look out between each collosus to lengthen my game experience?

There are quite a few things you can do honestly. There is a certain animal that will help you if you kill lots of them. You can find things to munch on as well, much like you would if you were doing it in real life.

That's just for starters.

Edit: Or what the poster below said lol

soldat7

matthewd49 said:
now i've started shadow and just killed the 2nd collosus and i gotta say that it's a pretty amazing game and from what i can tell so far the musical score is just amazing. but i was wondering are there other things i should be on the look out between each collosus to lengthen my game experience?

Lizards and fruit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
matthewd49 said:
cool, thanks abstract and soldat. should i be on the look out for them everywhere i go or are they in specified areas?

You specifically want white-tailed lizards. They hang out around save points, possibly other places too, but yeah, basically spread out all over. Fruits are in trees which are also all over the place. I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if a tree has fruit from a distance.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Btw... I remember reading a bunch of people having frustrating moments in ICO? How are you guys even managing this? I beat it a couple of hours and I never had single moment of frustration. At all.

Yoshichan said:
Btw... I remember reading a bunch of people having frustrating moments in ICO? How are you guys even managing this? I beat it a couple of hours and I never had single moment of frustration. At all.

the
water wheel
was incredibly frustrating, but that was about the extent of my frustration for ico, great game.

ScOULaris

Here's a fun SotC question that makes for some good discussion:

If you were in Wander's shoes, at what point would you say to yourself, "Fuck this. I'm going home."

Visceir

Ended up randomly stumbling on a SotC marathon run stream by Swift from GameOn. It took him forever to kill some of the colossuses but it was quite entertaining and his presistance was somewhat admirable, especially with the last one...

Ratrat

ScOULaris said:

If you were in Wander's shoes, at what point would you say to yourself, "Fuck this. I'm going home."
After plunging to my death the 100th time on the last colossus. bastard took me 2 hours to beat. :(

Mush

ScOULaris said:

When you reach the cliff you have to climb to reach the first colossus.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ScOULaris said:

Remember the intro that plays when you start the game? The small jump Agro makes? That's where I'd bail... fuck that risk! That was at least a good 1 meter jump!

Yoshichan

malfcn said:
So how was I supposed to know those were bombs?
It's as if you're playing the game in original 240p resolution :/ They're very obvious with the crisp graphics.

Anyone gotten Castle Guide trophy for Ico yet? Considering that the freaking world record is 1:45 it seems like this is going to be really difficult to get.

If anyone has done this, I would love to see a guide put together with checkpoint times at each save point along the way. I saw a comment in a thread on ps3trophies.org where the guy says he got to the last save point at 1:36 and was not able to get to the end fast enough.

It's going to be annoying if the only way to do this is
with a second controller and a person helping you.

bender

What time is it?
Just finished Ico and it's as lovely as I remember though I forgot brief the experience is. I clocked in just over four and a half hours.

I'm a little bummed that the Watermelon ending is only available on a second play through. At least that is what I'm assuming. I'm sure I'll get to playing it again in the next few years.

On to Shadow of Colossus. Hurray!

Is there a way to turn off trophy notifications?

bender said:

No, sorry. Incidentally, this is the first game I've ever seen where people have been complaining about trophy notifications. Not just you either, seems a lot of people are getting annoyed by them.

JaseMath

bender said:
Why does this bother so many people? I'll never understand... Whenever I get a trophy (of any kind), my first knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, right on!"

Top Bottom