• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

bender

What time is it?
JasonMCG said:
Why does this bother so many people? I'll never understand... Whenever I get a trophy (of any kind), my first knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, right on!"

I'm not really bothered, I'd just rather not see them. I don't really care about achievements or trophies.

leroidys

I forgot just how incredibly, amazingly incredible these games are. Now I'm kicking myself for not picking up the Japanese LE at $80, even though I think it's kinda ugly.

partime

I'm stuck on ICO,

everytime I place her in the right spot, she moves away and the ground elevates.
I need her there so she'll help me up.

Graveyard inner area, any help?!

Mush

partime said:
I'm stuck on ICO,

everytime I place her in the right spot, she moves away and the ground elevates.
I need her there so she'll help me up.

Graveyard inner area, any help?!
Stand on the spot and call her over, she should stay there long enough for you to go through the door.

partime

Mush said:
Stand on the spot and call her over, she should stay there long enough for you to go through the door.

It's the part right after,
who would have thought you could swing that rope? Didn't need to through the whole game up to that point, Damn I feel so, I feel so, FINALLY IM PAST!

ChuckNoLuck said:
Not sure about the others, but I am very happy the 8th colossus is dead. Fuck him.

As one of the few that don't move at all when its weak spot is exposed, I found it to be one of the easiest. What gave you trouble?

Gvaz

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Why does this bother so many people? I'll never understand... Whenever I get a trophy (of any kind), my first knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, right on!"
Yeah I hardly ever read trophies so when I get one I'm like, "Cool, the game is collecting how far I've progressed, and shows me when I've obtained certain non-required things, neat!"

hsukardi

Aigis said:
I was really warming up to SotC until I got to the first colossus. Jesus lord, these controls..

After you get a few more hours in the controls will be second nature.

I don't think there's an easily better control scheme for the game.

Just finished SOTC today on normal, f... was going to try and get the avoid the light trophy, but I did not know when to start grabbing until it was too late (thought I can just try and run away). Ah well, next time. I will try and platinum SOTC as I really love the game, but I think I'll do the hard mode later when I get the US version of the game as I would want to have a save of the English version with all the bonus items unlocked on hard mode (I assume, since it looks like it does, that the Japanese and North American versions share a single trophy list). The ending is even better than I remembered it, absolutely perfect. :)

DeVeAn

Aigis said:
I was really warming up to SotC until I got to the first colossus. Jesus lord, these controls..
I would love to hear what make the controls an issue? I have heard others mention it as well and I can't see why its a problem.

Finalow

corrosivefrost said:
May have been answered, but C-3 is a lake with fish.

I think around B-4 or so (the south end cave entrance location) there's a rock you can stand on and have a hawk fly directly over your head.

Make sure you have a lot of grip though.

Here's your save map:
http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/team-ico-games/sotc-lizard-fruit-location-guide

This will show you the rock I was talking about for the hawk grab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTrcK5-aDSU
sorry but how do you know the position C-3 in the map? There are no numbers/letters.
btw thanks, i'm going to try to grab loki.

finalozzo said:
sorry but how do you know the position C-3 in the map? There are no numbers/letters.
Scroll lower to the bottom and more to the leftmost side of the map. ;)

maskrider

finalozzo said:

sotc-map-raw.jpg

Bigger one

World map with lizard/fruit/colossi

DeVeAn said:
I would love to hear what make the controls an issue? I have heard others mention it as well and I can't see why its a problem.

Right. How difficult can it be to hold R1 and move the stick? Well, pretty difficult when the colossus is shaking like a wet dog. It's not supposed to be easy to climb these things. Don't blame the controls.

Cartman86

Banned
Aigis said:

You get used to after a while as it's pretty much just issues of getting accustomed to different choices for jumping etc. The one exception being an problem you still find today. The issue of using the face buttons (for moving the horse in this game and Red Dead) while also wanting to use the camera on the right stick. I'm sure most of us are so used to this now we either are extremely quick and go between the two, or use a claw like finger position. Putting the gallop button on a trigger or something would have been better. You can change every button in the game, but the combination of being so used to the old controls and the crappy triggers on the PS3 made me leave it. Theoretically you could move the kick horse button to R2 and jump to X.

Never realised you can grab onto the doves near the girl until I did it by accident yesterday. So cool. They go down pretty fast though.

Chuck

Still without luck
MrCookiepants said:
As one of the few that don't move at all when its weak spot is exposed, I found it to be one of the easiest. What gave you trouble?
Those stupid gas balls that he shot randomly are what kept killing me. I would get trapped in the gas area and not realize until it was too late. He's the only colossus that's killed me so far.

Septimius

It felt like the Trophy system was taunting me, after having discussed it here yesterday, only to play Ico and get the trophy "Failure".

Again, to the people wondering from what crazy planet those "purists" that "need games to be reality" - I'm simply here arguing this, because I felt deeply immersed in a desolate game world, and the trophy notification ruined that for me, because those sounds and graphics weren't made in the game, and didn't fit the rest of the carefully crafted game. It felt like shifting from 5th to reverse with no clutch. I enjoy SoTC for its immersion, and trophies ruin that. I'm not gonna refuse to play this game because of them, but there really is no reason not to be able to turn off those notifications.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Do all you people complaining about trophies hate the save screen right after you take down a colossi?

Man

Septimius said:
Are you saying it is possible to turn off? It isn't. Otherwise I'm not getting what you're saying.
It is possible to turn it off in the XMB. It also turns off message notices and friend login notices but I don't think you will mind that while playing SOTC.

Man said:
It is possible to turn it off in the XMB. It also turns off message notices and friend login notices but I don't think you will mind that while playing SOTC.
Misinformation! ;p
I have seen people say this multiple times throughout this thread but it is untrue unfortunately. It only turns off friend notifications, not the trophy ones.

Septimius

alr1ghtstart said:
Do all you people complaining about trophies hate the save screen right after you take down a colossus?

It's like people think disliking trophies mean that a game can't be a game. The problem is that the trophy isn't a part of the game. They're barely tied to the game. This isn't about "OH MY, THIS WORLD IS REAL, WHY IS IT ASKING ME TO SAVE THAT MAKES NO SENSE", and those are the kind of responses I'd expect from people that don't play games, not here in NeoGAF. I'm immersed in a game. I save in games. The trophies are not in this game. They're a part of the OS that plays the game.

I get that it doesn't bother people, but it's just like throwing a synth into a piece by Beethoven. It's not that synths are stupid, should be destroyed and sound horrible, it's just that they are not a part of the song that's playing, and just like someone that likes classic music would be put off by a synthesizer in a classical song, I am put off by trophy notifications in this game.

Man said:

Believe me, I tried.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Suuuch amazing games. The music is so freaking godlike in both as well. Beat ICO earlier and now playing SoTC. Team ICO <3

jonno394

I think I have a new favourite game (well top 5 at least). Just finished Ico for the first time and it was magical. The scale of the fortress was immense and everything was paced out just right.

Took me 5 hours, I think I can get that down to at least 4 when I play through the new game+ to get the last few trophies. Doubt i'd ever get it down to 2 though.....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The trophy screen is less intrusive than the save screen, equally as intrusive as a controller battery low message and abooooout as immersion breaking as animation clipping.

Which is to say, not much.

Septimius said:
It's like people think disliking trophies mean that a game can't be a game. The problem is that the trophy isn't a part of the game. They're barely tied to the game. This isn't about "OH MY, THIS WORLD IS REAL, WHY IS IT ASKING ME TO SAVE THAT MAKES NO SENSE", and those are the kind of responses I'd expect from people that don't play games, not here in NeoGAF. I'm immersed in a game. I save in games. The trophies are not in this game. They're a part of the OS that plays the game.

I get that it doesn't bother people, but it's just like throwing a synth into a piece by Beethoven. It's not that synths are stupid, should be destroyed and sound horrible, it's just that they are not a part of the song that's playing, and just like someone that likes classic music would be put off by a synthesizer in a classical song, I am put off by trophy notifications in this game.

Believe me, I tried.

Well, if the trophies aren't a part of this game then these complaints are off topic and don't belong in this thread. Make a thread to complain about trophies.

Goddammit, why do Japanese games always use these crazy cameras that swing back to their original position the instant you let go of the stick? Makes it hard to get an ideal camera angle to admire scenery

Field

Its strange how many always seem to be so sensitive or just against it when having an option to turn off trophy notification is mentioned.

Field said:
Its strange how many always seem to be so sensitive or just against it when having an option to turn off trophy notification is mentioned.
I don't see anyone against the option. Just against getting upset over it since there's no other way around it. Trophies come up during the save screen so I hardly see an issue.

yggdrasil

ScOULaris said:
Here's a fun SotC question that makes for some good discussion:

If you were in Wander's shoes, at what point would you say to yourself, "Fuck this. I'm going home."

When I realized that Bluepoint had turned up Wander's stagger in the new version of the game. Seriously, I'd been hoping to finally get the Queen's Sword in this version of the game, but I'm pretty disheartened after encountering such difficulty on 3 and 15 in my NTA run last night. HTA damn near gave me an aneurysm last time, and now I'm older, with a lot less time to spend repeating the same battle over and over trying to get that perfect jump/stab combo. Really hoping for a patch.

ScOULaris

yggdrasil said:
When I realized that Bluepoint had turned up Wander's stagger in the new version of the game. Seriously, I'd been hoping to finally get the Queen's Sword in this version of the game, but I'm pretty disheartened after encountering such difficulty on 3 and 15 in my NTA run last night. HTA damn near gave me an aneurysm last time, and now I'm older, with a lot less time to spend repeating the same battle over and over trying to get that perfect jump/stab combo. Really hoping for a patch.
Yeah, I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet.

For those of you who played the original PS2 release of SotC, you might have noticed that Wander has a harder time finding stable footing to get in a good stab than he used to. It's pretty much been confirmed by players worldwide that there was a subtle change to Wander's grip physics in this release that makes certain vitals (stomach on #3 and hand on #5 in Hard Mode) incredibly difficult to stab due to all the thrashing about.

I am making my way through Hard Mode right now, and I am absolutely DREADING doing #3 in Hard Time Attack. There is a trick, though, that works in this version. If you press Square like a millisecond after pressing R1 to grab the fur, Wander can usually get a stab in no matter how much the colossus shakes. It's kind of like a one-stab sweet spot effect, but you can let go of R1, then quickly hold it again and press square directly afterwards to continue the process. I plan on using this method for #3 on HTA.

flyover

Field said:
Yeah. It's one thing to say, "I like trophies, and/or the notifications don't bother me." But so many people expand that to "I don't understand how they could bother anyone."

Personally, I get why people love trophies, but I wish the notifications could be turned off. It's not so much for the visual interruption; I dislike the "DING!" The audio design of a game like SotC is so perfect, and the trophy noise just distracts me a bit -- like if a recording you had of your favorite song had occasional skips or glitches in it. It doesn't ruin things by any means; it'd just be nicer if it weren't there.

ScOULaris said:
It's pretty much been confirmed by players worldwide that there was a subtle change to Wander's grip physics in this release that makes certain vitals (stomach on #3 and hand on #5 in Hard Mode) incredibly difficult to stab due to all the thrashing about.

Yeah, I just fought #3 this morning, and it did seem a bit wonky there.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Gooster said:
$25 at Best Buy!

...Not sold online...

...Not a single store in NJ has a copy apparently...

:mad:

I find that when Best Buy runs a lot of deals like this I go to the store and they never have the product stocked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
JasonMCG said:
The trophies showing up in both ICO and SotC bothered me a lot. Especially in SotC, they manage to pop the trophies up in the exact moment when something epic or sad is happening.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ScOULaris said:
Here's a clear picture of what's between the Ico and SotC on the selection screen. Intriguing.
Haha speaking of that... I dunno if anyone else did this but first time I got into that selection screen, I spammed left and right on my d-pad super fast. That way I freeze part of the screen and see it clearly :lol

I'm nearing the end of my SOTC run, it's still so damn good, in fact i'm liking it more due to this replay.
I never bothered grabbing the lizard tails before, it's become quite the showdown eliminating those swift shrine scaling swines.

As for the old shaking/Wander's grip situation. I like how it makes the Colossi seem like they are actually fighting for their lives but it sometimes reaches incredibly annoying levels, i'm looking at you Colossus 15!
Considering the shaking was always more prominent in PAL versions were there different deadlines for the time attack mode as opposed to the NTSC version?

Did anyone else miss the stick (first weapon) after you free Yorda from the cage? I completely forgot about it and when the shadow creatures came I had no idea how to kill them and I just kept knocking them back temporarily.. felt so stupid when I read about the stick online afterwards

patsu

Rockman.EXE said:
Did anyone else miss the stick (first weapon) after you free Yorda from the cage? I completely forgot about it and when the shadow creatures came I had no idea how to kill them and I just kept knocking them back temporarily.. felt so stupid when I read about the stick online afterwards

I got it. You'll find a few more sticks lying around later though.

jonno394

I don't think I can play SotC. Plunging the sword into the firsts ones head was such a gut wrenching experience for me. Innocent and magnificent creatures being destroyed for purely a selfish reason.

I know it's pathetic as it's just a game, but it is a powerful one at.

Top Bottom