• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Draft said:
Thanks for the protip, Scary Larry.
You can! The green doors kill all the shadow figures. Most of the other ones you can run past.

I certainly don't defend the combat as being super engaging or interesting, but it's only really mandatory a few times.

Adamm

Completed ICO today - beautiful game.
Probably gonna try for a speed run now.

Is there any advantage to continuing your completed saved game? or should I just start new?

Draft

Y2Kev said:
You can! The green doors kill all the shadow figures. Most of the other ones you can run past.

I certainly don't defend the combat as being super engaging or interesting, but it's only really mandatory a few times.
I don't think that's the case, at least for a first time player. I knew about the door trick, and occasionally I'll backtrack through an area, get attacked, and just run away. But most of the time I'm in the middle of working on a puzzle, or trying to find the next puzzle, so the enemies have to die in order for my investigation to continue.

The point is, combat sucks balls.

I swear as soon as I was told you could skip combat I often found myself in situations where skipping the combat was often more of a pain than just mauling the shadow squadron.

Adamm said:
Completed ICO today - beautiful game.
Probably gonna try for a speed run now.

Is there any advantage to continuing your completed saved game? or should I just start new?
I'm to understand that's how you get some extra weapons and a special ending but someone else may have more details.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nomster said:
Fourth colossus is as shitty as I remembered. Nothing fun about that fight.
You're as shitty as I remembered.

No but seriously, I love this
horse.
Such an epic and beautiful place to be fighting a colossus.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gravijah said:
does 1080p mode make it feel more like sotc on the ps2?
You mean less fps in 1080p? Nah, it just looks worse.

jett

D-Member
Gravijah said:
does 1080p mode make it feel more like sotc on the ps2?

There's like a 2-frame difference in 1080p compared to 720p. :lol 3D mode is what will make SotC reach PS2-levels of performance.

mclaren777

How long did it take you guys to beat Ico? I'm trying to decide if I should pop it in this week or wait until I have more time to play it.

Sidzed2

To anyone in the land of Australia:

I have a spare copy of the ICO / Shadow of the Colossus Collection which I'm looking to offload. It's the UK PAL version, still sealed.

I'm happy to be rid of it for $38 (AUD) if anyone is interested. Express post included. PM me if keen.

I'm loving the collection so far. Both games look better than ever.

Mush

mclaren777 said:
How long did it take you guys to beat Ico? I'm trying to decide if I should pop it in this week or wait until I have more time to play it.
If you've played through it before, it should take around 6 hours.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Y2Kev said:

I disagree. I was keeping a close eye on how many times it was feasible to use a Yorda-gate to insta-win the fights, and perhaps I'm just not wily enough, but such opportunities were greatly outnumbered by situations where you had to just fight them. Once you get the sword, fighting becomes much less of a chore, so rather than risk running around a long time to find out if you can get to a gate without Yorda being snatched, it's preferable to just kill them mofos.

So I conclude that:

1) the combat does suck
2) it gets way better with the sword
3) you cannot avoid *most* combat with Yorda-gates, especially if you haven't played before and don't want to risk a lot of exploration while enemies are flying around

nomster said:
Fourth colossus is as shitty as I remembered. Nothing fun about that fight.

The second time I played SOTC, I forgot it existed - I thought the
bird fella
was the fourth fight. This go round...I forgot again! I forgot that I was supposed to remember that he existed, cause he's so forgettable. Probably the weakest colossus.

Yoshichan

Just because he's one of the few that isn't actually aggressive doesn't mean he's no fun... assholes :/

The biggest problem with the combat is that some of the encounters are unnecessarily long. New monsters spawn in and it's like "Really?!" Also, you sometimes stare at a hole waiting for it to evaporate only to realize a flying monster is caught on some piece of the environment.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
Just because he's one of the few that isn't actually aggressive doesn't mean he's no fun... assholes :/

If it's the horse one he fuckin' sucks because he doesn't always look inside the cave like he's supposed to and it wastes your time.

Yoshichan

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If it's the horse one he fuckin' sucks because he doesn't always look inside the cave like he's supposed to and it wastes your time.
Then you're doing it wrong!
It's easy to force him to always look inside a cave. When his eyes turns orange (usually after an arrow on his face does the job), he'll follow you. That's where you enter the cave and start running to the opposite side. GG!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finally finished SOTC after starting it about 3 times on the PS2 over the years. Did it in two big sessions over this weekend.

Overall I loved it, but the last few colossi were a bit annoying (15 especially).

ending was a bit wtf, will take a while to get my head around that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
Then you're doing it wrong!
It's easy to force him to always look inside a cave. When his eyes turns orange (usually after an arrow on his face does the job), he'll follow you. That's where you enter the cave and start running to the opposite side. GG!

Cool, I'll try that when I get there. Thanks for selling out one of your best friends to make my life slightly better. ;)

forrest

formerly nacire
hey_it's_that_dog said:

Your not a real colossi slayer if you need the tunnels for #4!

I totally need the tunnels to slay #4

Psi

Jaeyden said:
WTF? He writes an article to all these people who haven't played the game and then seemingly finishes it with a nice screenshot of what must be from the ending? Correct me if I'm wrong...I haven't played the game yet, but if that's the case...seems a bit dickish.

Neither of those pics are anywhere near the ending.

Edit: I don't know where the last one is from but it's not the end AFAIK.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Psi said:
Neither of those pics are anywhere near the ending.

Edit: I don't know where the last one is from but it's not the end AFAIK.
It is from the same scene as the first image. The scene in question takes place maybe 45 minutes into the game.

Yoshichan

semiconscious said:
it only gets better -

next week: the new generation plays demon's dark souls :) ...
Hwahwahwaha

Psi

xxracerxx said:
It is from the same scene as the first image. The scene in question takes place maybe 45 minutes into the game.

I mean the last one on the second page. I didn't notice there was a second page at first :p

It looks like it might be from
the windmill area.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Psi said:
I mean the last one on the second page. I didn't notice there was a second page at first :p

It looks like it might be from
the windmill area.
It is just a screen grab and not part of a cut scene. I know where it is now;
near the "light reflector" outside when you get the sword.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I spent so long trying to work out what to do in that room with the garden and pipes on the far end. I didn't realise it was as simple as pulling Yorda up through the grate. There goes an hour. (but hey, it's a funny memory)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yoshichan said:
You're as shitty as I remembered.

No but seriously, I love this
horse.
Such an epic and beautiful place to be fighting a colossus.
Phaedra is one of my favorite fights. It took me, like, an hour to figure it out, but I didn't mind. The grove you fight him in and the music is so amazing.

Patapwn

So I finally got some time to beat Ico... God damn, now THATS how you make a game!

I knew it would be good but it exceeded my expectations. I'd say the best part was the first fifteen mins and the last half hour. Especially the last half hour... although, that could be 1/4 of the game for some depending on their trophy whoredom (OH LOOK, A RHYME!)

I still like SotC better, but Im put Ico near the top of my 'favorite games ever' list for sure.

I noticed many are criticizing the combat. Honestly, I skipped most of it. If you run like hell to the door statues, Yorda activates them and in turn genocides the shadow people. That's how I played most of the game aside for a few necessary encounters. And IDK if people were having the same problem but using the analog stick is wack, yo. Ico never seemed to run for me when I needed him to. So I used the D-pad instead which helped with getting him to haul ass pronto. It also made the combat better/more responsive

mbmonk

As stupid as this is, Ico would have made my PS3 purchase valid on it's own merit ( I didn't own a PS2 ). I enjoyed the game that much. I haven't played a game that brought so many great elements together at the same time. I actually cared about the story of a puzzle game. The last part of the game was specifically amazing.
The fact that you retrace your path when you were led in by the knight and get the sword... that was smooth story telling

Regardless, I just started SotC and it is giving a similarly amazing vibe. I just beat the 1st colossi.

Now I understand why so many are waiting on The Last Guardian. I feel just slightly late to the Ueda party :).

Draft said:
I don't think that's the case, at least for a first time player. I knew about the door trick, and occasionally I'll backtrack through an area, get attacked, and just run away. But most of the time I'm in the middle of working on a puzzle, or trying to find the next puzzle, so the enemies have to die in order for my investigation to continue.

The point is, combat sucks balls.
Yeah, this.

This is my first time ever playing Ico, and while I'm enjoying myself even more than I expected to, the combat is a chore. I find myself taking breaks after every 3 or 4 checkpoints just because I can't stand to spend 5 minutes per room futzing with the archaic, decade old combat and camera concepts.

I know I'm spoiled, so I'm not going to hate on the game for it, but simply dragging Yorda to a door has been an immediately obvious option all of twice in my first 3 hours.

Yoshichan said:

It's OK to criticize Shadow of the Colossus. God will forgive you.

Anyway, he's a weak colossus because there's nothing to him. You figure out the one trick, then he's done. You don't really have to fight against him while you're on him, he only has one spot, and the 'trick' isn't that special. He could have used a little more work.

Yoshichan

Conciliator said:
It's OK to criticize Shadow of the Colossus. God will forgive you.
I'm okay with people criticizing SotC. I'm not okay with anyone saying #4 is 'stupid' :/
Conciliator said:
You figure out the one trick, then he's done.
The same thing could be said about #1, #2, #5, #6, #7, #9, #11, #12 and #14 :/

Yoshichan

Outtrigger888 said:
Just about to play sotc for the first time. From what I'm reading I should set my ps3 to 720p as that t makes the game look and run better?
Yes!

7 down! Game moves more quickly than I remember, I'm < 3 hours in. Also my romanticization of the frustration as an element of the artistic statement glosses over how damn frustrating it is sometimes. Give me a chance to move, you colossal asshole!

Top Bottom