• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

WX3

Playing ICO now per the instructions in the OP and within minutes I can decidedly say that I am playing something very special.

Edited to simply add that taking in the environment, from the sounds of the breeze, the water crashing on the coast below, and the simple songs sung by birds coupled with the gigantic world around you is an experience to behold. I don't feel like I am playing a game, I feel like I am helping these two along. It forms a bond with the characters almost immediately, one that gets stronger as you go, and one that would be ruined by simply speeding through this glorious adventure.

bitoriginal

Just completed Ico. First time I've ever played it. Absolutely loved every second of it! Loved how chilled out the pace is, and the ending blew my mind. I can totally see why this game garners so much high praise.

I found it to be quite challenging in places, which was made worse by control issues and Yordas AI, but these things are forgivable in the end, and you grow accustomed to them. Had to resort to a walkthrough occasionally when I failed to think outside the box. Overall I thought the platforming was excellent, as well as top-notch level design and fluid character animation.

Onto Shadow of the Colossus next, can't wait.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jonno394 said:
I don't think I can play SotC. Plunging the sword into the firsts ones head was such a gut wrenching experience for me. Innocent and magnificent creatures being destroyed for purely a selfish reason.

I know it's pathetic as it's just a game, but it is a powerful one at.

Selfish reason..No, it's just for love, SOTC theme is "How far will you go for Love" , and Wander knew that
he will destroy himself and maybe the balance of the world and knew he is a goner
, it's really not a selfish reason since he is not gaining anything for himself.

schwall20

Banned
I can't express how pissed I am at Ico right now. The game is broken, I got to this part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXyWDNRF3Q&feature=related

And where the creatures are supposed to be appear, they do not and where the chain is on the end of the ledge, it is not.

I'm not replaying the last three hours to get back here.

DEVS IF YOUR SHIT IS BROKEN DONT RELEASE IT, goddamit. I hate waiting for patches or fixes.

An-Det

I just unlocked the lightsaber. It seems a bit stronger than the sword, but I feel dirty using it.
It's a bit shorter than the sword, but whenever you hold Yorda's hand it grows like 5 times longer until you let go.
I dont know if it is a glitch I'm experiencing, but I wasn't expecting that at all.

I just finished off Avion and headed for the desert. Goddamn! Even 6 years later now, this game still blows me away. Nothing has ever touched it boss and environment wise.

It helps that the framerate is consistent this time.

maskrider

schwall20 said:
I can't express how pissed I am at Ico right now. The game is broken, I got to this part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXyWDNRF3Q&feature=related

And where the creatures are supposed to be appear, they do not and where the chain is on the end of the ledge, it is not.

I'm not replaying the last three hours to get back here.

DEVS IF YOUR SHIT IS BROKEN DONT RELEASE IT, goddamit. I hate waiting for patches or fixes.

Did you pull the switch on the wall (the switch you need to pull with a block to stand on) before entering this area with Yorda ?

The said switch triggers the chain to lower to the area you are supposed to reach.

Finished Ico. took just over 5 hours.

Nice little game. That ending didnt make me get one bit emotional though.

Ill take a break for a week or 2 then jump into shadow.

schwall20

Banned
Ok so after committing suicide like 4 times and reloading and then going back to another and saving, now I get the animation. That was frustrating, also I won't get the no death trophy now. This is a bad experience for my first time playing this game and a game everyone supposedly loves. Left a sour taste in my mouth, ending will have to blow me away....

Nocturnowl said:
Considering the shaking was always more prominent in PAL versions were there different deadlines for the time attack mode as opposed to the NTSC version?

I'm pretty sure they were always the same.

The fact that they made such a pointless and seriously negative change really disappointed me. I've been looking forward to this since it was announced but that really soured me on this. I still may get it later for Ico, though.

Withnail

Played all the way through ICO today, the last time I played it was around 2006 I think. It looks absolutely beautiful in HD. Replaying it today has just reaffirmed my belief that it's the best game I've ever played.

I think it would be considered special if it was released for the first time today, but when you remember that it's ten years old (and basically a PS1 game) it makes you realise how extraordinary it was then and influential it has been.

Replaying it has also renewed my hype for The Last Guardian. Go Ueda!

Fess

So..

I completed ICO today, for the first time ever. And wow, words really can't express how I feel. Truly amazing game. So beautiful. So emotional.

And I started Shadow of the Colossus too today, first time with this one too, I just slayed the 8th colossus tonight, equally amazing game so far. I actually boycotted the game on PS2 simply because of the crappy framerate. So dumb. But playing a game like this for the first time in HD and solid 30fps might've been worth the wait. I'm super impressed with it. Everything is top notch. Could very well be my Game of the Year, if a HD remake is allowed to be that.

Can't wait to get to play Last Guardian.

:)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There's 77 white tailed lizards to kill to get the trophy. No map, no checklist, and they don't even count as kills if you only sever the tail. Fuck trying that.

SkylineRKR

I knew I wasn't crazy and/or more skilless than I used to be. Colossus 3 is hella hard in this version, it took me well over 20 minutes as he almost left no room for me to climb let alone stab.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
alr1ghtstart said:
There's 77 white tailed lizards to kill to get the trophy. No map, no checklist, and they don't even count as kills if you only sever the tail. Fuck trying that.
There is a lizard indicator that you get by doing some time trials :)

DatBreh

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

I did this back when the game first released. I just printed off a list from Gamefaqs and went from there. There was no trophy incentive either, just a better grip or whatever that circle was.

ScOULaris

SkylineRKR said:
I knew I wasn't crazy and/or more skilless than I used to be. Colossus 3 is hella hard in this version, it took me well over 20 minutes as he almost left no room for me to climb let alone stab.
Yeah. Colossus #3 on Hard Time Attack in five minutes is gonna be DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE in this version. Hopefully someone discovers some sort of trip for getting full stabs on the stomach vital. Either that or Bluepoint should patch the grip to be more like it was on the PS2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ScOULaris said:
Yeah. Colossus #3 on Hard Time Attack in five minutes is gonna be DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE in this version. Hopefully someone discovers some sort of trip for getting full stabs on the stomach vital. Either that or Bluepoint should patch the grip to be more like it was on the PS2.
I got him down on hard trial by doing the classic 'jump-from-his-sword-directly-on-top-of-his-head'. So basically I had the head down in less than 1 minute (no need to break his shoulder armor).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SkylineRKR said:

Wasn't Bayonetta PS3 easier than the 360 version in some sections/boss fights because of the slower framerate ? maybe it's the same thing here?

No, they actually based this collection on the PAL version of SotC, where the wanderer was a lot more sensitive to the colossi's movement (although apparently he's even harder to control in this version than he was in that one). It's not a framerate thing.

KingK

I'm stuck on ICO where
I pulled this lever that activated some piston like platform that launches me upwards, but it doesn't launch me high enough. What am I missing?

Yoshichan

KingK said:
I'm stuck on ICO where
I pulled this lever that activated some piston like platform that launches me upwards, but it doesn't launch me high enough. What am I missing?
Jump at the exact same moment as the thing is pushing you upwards.

SkylineRKR

I also played ICO for a few hours now, likely over halfway through. Its a brilliant HD transfer i think. Even the gameplay does hold up, its a near perfect game and experience but I hate one thing,

The combat.

wtf_is_this_shit_piccard_RE_Why_People_Hate_Hipsters-s306x227-109368.jpg

Especially in the
graveyard. You'll get a fight outside thats annoying enough but once inside you'll get another one as soon as you reach the high ledge and once they've taken Yorda you've gotta climb the stairs which is a bitch while being attacked and crowded. Without checkpoint inbetween. Had to redo it 3 times which enraged me.

Yoshichan

Can't you just run away from them :p?

alr1ghtstart said:
Do all you people complaining about trophies hate the save screen right after you take down a colossi?

Don't know if you realise, but the save screen ties into the story, as it's representative of
Mono's experience of being returned to life

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SkylineRKR said:
I also played ICO for a few hours now, likely over halfway through. Its a brilliant HD transfer i think. Even the gameplay does hold up, its a near perfect game and experience but I hate one thing,

The combat.

Especially in the
graveyard. You'll get a fight outside thats annoying enough but once inside you'll get another one as soon as you reach the high ledge and once they've taken Yorda you've gotta climb the stairs which is a bitch while being attacked and crowded. Without checkpoint inbetween. Had to redo it 3 times which enraged me.

I 100% sympathize with you on the combat. I was posting the exact same thing when I was about 2 hours in. Once I got the sword shortly after that it became way more tolerable. Get the secret weapon about 30-45 minutes after that and you'll never be annoyed by combat again.

Yoshichan

Jesus Christ... the only game that pretty much forces me to buy a 3D TV :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
SkylineRKR said:

The combat.

It's very much like the early Silent Hill games in that the clumsiness of the combat is directly tied to the narrative. You're a small boy using a plank of wood to attack smoke-monsters, and its about as ineffective as you'd imagine it. You're not supposed to feel empowered, you're supposed to feel helpless and desperate to save your companion.

That said, you do get a feel for the combat and there is a skill in how to attack carefully and occasionally fall back, rather than just charging in mashing the attack button. Plus there's the easter egg/secret powerup
the sword, which makes combat easier.

KingK

Ok now I'm stuck at this stupid
water wheel. I believe I'm supposed to jump on it, then jump up to some switch on a ledge above it, but the timing seems impossible. I already pushed some block down the waterfall

Yoshichan

KingK said:
Ok now I'm stuck at this stupid
water wheel. I believe I'm supposed to jump on it, then jump up to some switch on a ledge above it, but the timing seems impossible. I already pushed some block down the waterfall
Jump on it like you used to do, but next jump should be backwards so that you land on a another platform. It should be easy from there.

SkylineRKR

Ofcourse the boy being weak in combat makes sense from a story point of view. although it doesn't make sense that he can't die by their hands (it seems) :)

But they could make the combat less frequent, or perhaps with less enemies at one time. Or trade the plank in earlier on. Its something that actually starts out being difficult but then gets easy because of getting weapons.

Draft

BocoDragon said:
It's very much like the early Silent Hill games in that the clumsiness of the combat is directly tied to the narrative. You're a small boy using a plank of wood to attack smoke-monsters, and its about as ineffective as you'd imagine it. You're not supposed to feel empowered, you're supposed to feel helpless and desperate to save your companion.

That said, you do get a feel for the combat and there is a skill in how to attack carefully and occasionally fall back, rather than just charging in mashing the attack button. Plus there's the easter egg/secret powerup
the sword, which makes combat easier.
:lol Is this small boy's Olympic gymnast level upper body strength also tied into the narrative? The combat sucks balls.

It also sucks balls that you need to drag the girl from screen to screen or else random smoke monsters kill her. That wouldn't be so bad except when it's not obvious what the next puzzle solution is, and exploring the area involves climbing ladders or taking elevators or any other thing that's 10x slower when dragging whats her face.

This game is fun but its got some very annoying mechanics.

Yuterald

Got my Platinum in ICO today! Final time was 1:56:49. Cutting it pretty close if I must say so! I'd say you have to know the game well enough to do this. It certainly wasn't a push over when it comes to speed running a game. There are definitely corners that need to be cut and there are a few frustrating segments that can go wrong.

But, after 3 playthroughs of ICO on this collection I remember why I loved these two games so much. I'd have to say that this Team ICO shit is a lot more important to me than I remembered. These games are so bad ass!

Yoshichan

semiconscious said:
this week: the new generation plays 'ico'...
Haha, I was gonna say this but I like Draft, so I skipped it :p

soldat7

SkylineRKR said:

The combat.

Especially in the

Yeah, I just passed that part. Very frustrating.

Finished SOTC earlier...
Still my favourite PS2 game, I was quite proud that I held out for like 5 pointless minutes before being sucked into the portal thing at the end of the game, moments before being sucked in I discovered that art of the jump button mash which allowed me to hop back to the point of the first colossus statue, but to my disappointment it seemed that I could hop no further.

I've never been much of a fan of the last colossus, aka: Skirt-lossus. Poor sod can't even move those legs due to wearing a platforming stage for his lower garments. Seems like a bit of an anti climax in the end, great music and atmosphere save the situation.

anddo0

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
No, they actually based this collection on the PAL version of SotC, where the wanderer was a lot more sensitive to the colossi's movement (although apparently he's even harder to control in this version than he was in that one). It's not a framerate thing.

I knew something felt off. I thought they made the game harder or something.

Can't wait for #16 0_0

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Draft said:
:lol Is this small boy's Olympic gymnast level upper body strength also tied into the narrative? The combat sucks balls.
Ok but it was clearly intended by the developers. You are a small boy. Your weapon is a plank of wood. You are protecting a helpless girl with timid, insecure AI responses. The combat was obviously meant to be a little difficult and hopeless in order to serve an emotional need. It's supposed to be impressive that this kid is using his weak combat skills to bravely defend this girl. If the boy was highly capable of combat, this would be a completely different tale.

They could have made a dynamic responsive action game if they wanted... they obviously didn't want to. You might say... that's just stupid, etc. But it was a clear artistic choice.

KingK

Yoshichan said:
Jump on it like you used to do, but next jump should be backwards so that you land on a another platform. It should be easy from there.

Yeah, I got it now. For the entire game up until now, I've never felt like it was the games fault for me getting stuck, but then these two instances withing a few minutes of each other got me really frustrated because of its extremely picky timing. It's annoying when you know what to do, but the controls/timing make it frustrating to do so.

Yuterald said:
Got my Platinum in ICO today! Final time was 1:56:49. Cutting it pretty close if I must say so! I'd say you have to know the game well enough to do this. It certainly wasn't a push over when it comes to speed running a game. There are definitely corners that need to be cut and there are a few frustrating segments that can go wrong.

But, after 3 playthroughs of ICO on this collection I remember why I loved these two games so much. I'd have to say that this Team ICO shit is a lot more important to me than I remembered. These games are so bad ass!
Did you use save points? If so, could you post playtimes at each save point that others can use as a guide?

Draft

BocoDragon said:
Ok but it was clearly intended by the developers. You are a small boy. Your weapon is a plank of wood. You are protecting a helpless girl with timid, insecure AI responses. The combat was obviously meant to be a little difficult and hopeless in order to serve an emotional need. It's supposed to be impressive that this kid is using his weak combat skills to bravely defend this girl. If the boy was highly capable of combat, this would be a completely different tale.

They could have made a dynamic responsive action game if they wanted... they obviously didn't want to. You might say... that's just stupid, etc. But it was a clear artistic choice.
I do say that's stupid. Fun before narrative. Difficult and hopeless is not how I'd describe the combat (at least so far, maybe it opens up. I got the sword a few minutes ago.) It's janky, boring, and frustrating. The shadow guys don't do anything interesting, and the fighting is just holding forward, mashing square and hoping that you don't overextend and get knocked over. In like one out of ten fights the shadow birds launch a coordinated attack that knocks you down, snatches the girl and then flies her up a goddamn ladder or something. The game lulls you into a false sense of security with the baby combat then fucks you good, and woe be to you who isn't catching a nap at every couch along the way.

The game would probably be better with no combat, or at least, way less combat and no random birds appearing when the girl's left by herself.

Top Bottom