• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Vard

I'm really exciting about playing through these games again. The last time I beat both of them must have been about 4-5 years ago.

Oh, and definitely play ICO first if you haven't played either.

_dementia said:
take a photo of the disc so we know you didn't trick us and just print a sleeve!

:p

2yozqqq.jpg

I won't have the chance to play it until tomorrow after work though.

Having never owned a PS2 in its heyday, I missed out on these games. Ill be going in totally blind as Ive never even seen gameplay of either of them before. Ive only heard the praise, and since then Ive followed TeamICO and am immensely excited for TLG. I just really hope Im not disappointed, although I doubt I will be. They really seem like epitomes of dark fantasy adventure games.

Never played either of these games. And with me being stuck on CFW, I might have to go back to OFW just for this. No way can I miss out again.

Zing

Banned
The Ico remake is interesting considering it was essentially a PS1 game on a PS2 disc. It even ran at 240p and not 480i.

Trophies? Weird.

Zing said:
The Ico remake is interesting considering it was essentially a PS1 game on a PS2 disc. It even ran at 240p and not 480i.

Did it feature progressive scan? SotC did, but I can't remember if such an early game would do that.

Zing said:

Trophies? Weird.
That probably explains why it looked like raw garbage on an HDTV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zing said:

Trophies? Weird.
No, I wouldn't say that's correct at all. I mean yes, it does run in 512x224p, but its visuals are far above what anything on PS1 was like, or really in many ways above what anything on PS2 was like at the time. If you run something like Uncharted at 640x480p that still doesn't make it a PS2 class game.

Trophies have to be included in a game to be certified by Sony. Weird or not, it was unavoidable.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
Trophies have to be included in a game to be certified by Sony. Weird or not, it was unavoidable.
Sony can do whatever they want. They aren't forced to follow their TOS. In fact, PSP Remasters aren't required to include trophies for some reason, so Sony is easing up on that stuff.

ScOULaris

On one hand, I envy those of you who will be playing these classics for the first time with this collection. I would love to be able to experience them anew, seeing as how I have played through both of them several times over by now.

On the other hand, your experience might be sullied by unrealistic expectations. These two games' reputations precede them now, so I don't know what it will be like for people who are going to be playing them for the first time all these years later.

I played Ico in 2003, I think. At that time, it was already developing the reputation of being a "cult classic," so I decided to give it a shot with only the mild hope that it might surprise me. I'll never forget that first playthrough. It quickly became one of my favorite games ever and influenced my taste in games from then on. Years later, I was super hyped for SotC because of how much I loved Ico, so that game's quality was no surprise to me.

Of the two, I think Ico is the better "experience" while SotC is a better "game." I've replayed SotC way more times than I have Ico, but nothing can touch that first playthrough of the latter.

But hey, I'm sure it will live up to the hype for many of you who have yet to play it. These games really are that good, and their unique design and atmosphere stand out even more-so today than they did in the PS2 era, since products of a Japanese auteur with unlimited development time are very few and far between these days.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
Sony can do whatever they want. They aren't forced to follow their TOS. In fact, PSP Remasters aren't required to include trophies for some reason, so Sony is easing up on that stuff.
Yeah, I guess only 'bigger' games need to have Trophies. PSN games are not required to have them either, I'm pretty sure. However, I think they are kind of forced to follow those guidelines even internally. I remember David Cage complaining about trophies and how he was trying to think of ways to avoid them (and came up with that delayed trophy method). And that was for a Sony published game.

infinityBCRT said:
That Uncharted example is like the opposite of Ico though. Ico was originally being developed as a PS1 game and then development moved to PS2.
I know, but I was just saying that the resolution alone doesn't mean the game was somehow PS1-class when it came to graphics.

Lord Error said:
No, I wouldn't say that's correct at all. I mean yes, it does run in 512x224p, but its visuals are far above what anything on PS1 was like, or really in many ways above what anything on PS2 was like at the time. If you run something like Uncharted at 640x480p that still doesn't make it a PS2 class game.
That Uncharted example is like the opposite of Ico though. Ico was originally being developed as a PS1 game and then development moved to PS2.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
Yeah, I guess only 'bigger' games need to have Trophies. PSN games are not required to have them either, I'm pretty sure. However, I think they are kind of forced to follow those guidelines even internally. I remember David Cage complaining about trophies and how he was trying to think of ways to avoid them (and came up with that delayed trophy method). And that was for a Sony published game.
Sony do break their own rules, the GT5 install for example, but I don't know how they decide if and when they're going to allow it. You're right though, I remember Cage saying that.

jett

D-Member
infinityBCRT said:

He's just talking about resolution. And he's right, ICO doesn't even remotely resemble a PS1 game, despite its origins.

ScOULaris said:
On one hand, I envy those of you who will be playing these classics for the first time with this collection. I would love to be able to experience them anew, seeing as how I have played through both of them several times over by now.

On the other hand, your experience might be sullied by unrealistic expectations. These two games' reputations precede them now, so I don't know what it will be like for people who are going to be playing them for the first time all these years later.I played Ico in 2003, I think. At that time, it was already developing the reputation of being a "cult classic," so I decided to give it a shot with only the mild hope that it might surprise me. I'll never forget that first playthrough. It quickly became one of my favorite games ever and influenced my taste in games from then on. Years later, I was super hyped for SotC because of how much I loved Ico, so that game's quality was no surprise to me.

Of the two, I think Ico is the better "experience" while SotC is a better "game." I've replayed SotC way more times than I have Ico, but nothing can touch that first playthrough of the latter.

But hey, I'm sure it will live up to the hype for many of you who have yet to play it. These games really are that good, and their unique design and atmosphere stand out even more-so today than they did in the PS2 era, since products of a Japanese auteur with unlimited development time are very few and far between these days.

This is what I fear the most, hence going in with zero expectations.

Salaadin

ScOULaris said:
I played Ico in 2003, I think. At that time, it was already developing the reputation of being a "cult classic," so I decided to give it a shot with only the mild hope that it might surprise me. I'll never forget that first playthrough. It quickly became one of my favorite games ever and influenced my taste in games from then on. Years later, I was super hyped for SotC because of how much I loved Ico, so that game's quality was no surprise to me.

Ico was a surprise for me. I played the demo on an OPM disc and sat there making fun of it. "LOL you play as a horny kid!!". Im so hilarious :/
I never beat the demo that first time because I couldnt figure out how to open the door but a second shot a few days later, I managed to get through. At the end, they showed this nice little trailer with Castle in the Mist playing, if Im remembering it correctly. Something in that trailer grabbed me and I made up my mind right then that I would be buying it.

Funny thing was that when I picked it up, I got the new PSM at the same time and read their review where they gave it a 7/10 and only wrote a few paragraphs where they didnt sound too hot on the game. I remember sitting there thinking that I just bought an average game.

So glad I was wrong.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
StuBurns said:
Ico on PS1 looked a lot like Ico.

EDIT: Maybe not. I was just watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9oCaYlBlE
And it says it's the PS1 version, but the second half looks way way better than anything on PS1, so maybe it's PS2 footage.

Yeah, looks like there's a transition to PS2 footage partway through. But the PS1 footage still retains the look of Ico despite the PSX hallmark of visibly polygonal characters and warping textures. They were pretty close to the overall look, in any case.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AgentChris said:
The Last Guardian is GT5 all over again. We need the video on the HD Collection. I can't wait.

Wait, there is a new The Last Guardian vid in the collection?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StuBurns said:

Damn. I've had the collection sitting here for days and never checked. I don't really remember seeing anything about that.

Will check later (about to start Gears 3 coop now)

StuBurns

Banned
TTP said:
Damn. I've had the collection sitting here for days and never checked. I don't really remember seeing anything about that.

Will check later (about to start Gears 3 coop now)
It might not be in press ones. Otherwise I'd have imagined we'd have had a leak of it by now.

GQman2121

Banned
raziel said:
retro backlash of ico incoming when many people play it for the first time.
I dont think so. The simplistic nature of the gameplay and story are timeless. At its core, it's a puzzle game with a heart. I will be shocked if first time players don't find it an enjoyable experience.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StuBurns said:
It might not be in press ones. Otherwise I'd have imagined we'd have had a leak of it by now.

I have the promo codes (same as retail) and there's nothing there. No "extras", nothing. Perhaps I need to finish them first?

StuBurns

Banned
TTP said:
I have the promo codes (same as retail) and there's nothing there. No "extras", nothing. Perhaps I need to finish them first?
Maybe people are wrong, there's no downloadable theme either?

Salaadin

TTP said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s-collection-bonus-content-trophies-revealed/

The release of the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, bundling two of the most highly acclaimed video games of all time, is right around the corner. Back in July, we revealed that there will be some exciting bonus video content included on the disc, as well as a dynamic theme for ICO and one for Shadow of the Colossus. Now that the videos are finished, I’m happy to give you a preview of what you’ll be able to look forward to when the collection hits on September 27.

Right from your disc, you’ll be able to enjoy these five exclusive bonus videos and go behind-the-scenes to learn more about these two classics and the visionaries that created them:
-Early concept and prototype video montage of ICO
-Early concept and prototype video montage of Shadow of the Colossus
-Initial concept video for NICO, a game that was never made but turned into Shadow of the Colossus, including an on-camera introduction from creator Fumito Ueda
-Candid 20+ minute round-table discussion between Fumito Ueda (creator), Kenji Kaido (producer) and Junichi Hosono (designer)
-And last but not least, a 12-minute behind-the-scenes video filmed on location at the SCEI offices in Japan. This video features interviews with key production staff members about the making of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian, as well as concept art and prototype footage of all the games, and exclusive never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian

Thats where this info is coming from

I kind of want to give these games a try again. I just couldn't get into them during the PS2 era. But with this season being swamped with so many good games, I think I am going to have to put this title on the "will get in the future" list. Anyone know if they are short printing it?

Reveirg

I've only played Shadow of the Colossus around 2 years ago, and didn't quite finish it.

I'll probably start with ICO, which I don't know if I'll actually enjoy... and then move on to SotC.

Day one for me, if only for the fantastic art direction and ICO's awesome soundtrack, which I look forward to hearing in the game.

I do hope SotC's music has been rehauled, there hasn't been any news about that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Reveirg said:
I've only played Shadow of the Colossus around 2 years ago, and didn't quite finish it.

I'll probably start with ICO, which I don't know if I'll actually enjoy... and then move on to SotC.

Day one for me, if only for the fantastic art direction and ICO's awesome soundtrack, which I look forward to hearing in the game.

I do hope SotC's music has been rehauled, there hasn't been any news about that.
"Rehauled"? What exactly do you mean? I suspect you're talking about the transitions between each piece? That part was kind of rough in the original, but I suspect it hasn't changed.

Other than that, the soundtrack was phenomenal.

PooBone

Great OP. Can't wait to play these. Got my amazon.com Day 1 delivery paid for an ready to go.

I will probably play SotC first, since it's my favorite of the two, and I don't wanna be trying to rush through Ico to get to it.

Danielsan

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I can see it now

"Controls suck"

"Story sucks, nothing happens"

"There's like, no dialogue"
It's going to be a hard to shrug off the newcomers who will shit on these games. Normally it isn't much of an issue, but these games are something else to me.

Reveirg

dark10x said:
"Rehauled"? What exactly do you mean? I suspect you're talking about the transitions between each piece? That part was kind of rough in the original, but I suspect it hasn't changed.

Other than that, the soundtrack was phenomenal.

Bad choice of word, I meant the overall sound quality. The original game's music was quite compressed, blu-ray's space should make it easy for the developers to put in the uncompressed tracks.

Hoping for some 5.1 action too.

The soundtrack is, indeed, phenomenal!

krYlon

Reveirg said:
Bad choice of word, I meant the overall sound quality. The original game's music was quite compressed, blu-ray's space should make it easy for the developers to put in the uncompressed tracks.

Actually, I would like to know this also.

PooBone

Reveirg said:

I'm sure it will sound better than it did on the old PS2 hardware. All of the audio has been remastered for 7.1.

Reveirg

PooBone said:
I'm sure it will sound better than it did on the old PS2 hardware. All of the audio has been remastered for 7.1.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure. Gaming developers often only pay little attention to sound quality, spending most of their time and resources on graphics. Many AAA games on HD console still have disappointing sound quality.

I guess we'll see when the game comes out.

ScOULaris said:
On the other hand, your experience might be sullied by unrealistic expectations. These two games' reputations precede them now, so I don't know what it will be like for people who are going to be playing them for the first time all these years later...

unrealistic expectations, which i'd say boils down to 'believing that excessive hype can magically turn something that's not for you into something that is', will sully just about any game, old or new. i'm pretty certain that, once the hype dust's cleared, anyone who'd've liked ico back when will like it now, & anyone who wouldn't've, won't, upgraded graphics or no. afa sotc, the fact that it'll run more smoothly will open it up to some, but. again, if the game itself isn't for you, i'm not sure that'll really matter...

i guess what i'm saying is, when it comes down to games that have or haven't aged, these 2 are absolutely among the latter, in every way. but they are what they are, unique one-of-a-kind type experiences, & someone's enjoyment of them, now as it was then, rests completely on how open he or she is to that going in. & any expectations not rooted in understanding & accepting this will very possibly leave someone as disappointed now as they would've been years back...

so, yeah: if you haven't played them already, don't believe the hype. keep an open mind. i can guarantee you one thing: that no matter how awesome they are, they will either work for you, & you'll love them, or they won't, & you won't. that's just how it is :) ...

Top Bottom