• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

thetechkid

Just beat the first colossus for the first time, only complaint so far is riding the horse is worst thing I've ever done in a video game. The controls for that just don't seem good. Besides that so far the game isn't bad.

Haven't played all day. I'm jonesing.

I've played shadow quite frequently with several playthroughs, time attack runs and reminiscence modes since its original launch up to the new release and still find each colossus as fun and exciting as my first time... but without the mystery and awe =[.

So when I play, I try a new experience. I hang out on the colossus and explore its shape. I test how long I can stand up without holding on when they sway and shake. I explore the battlegrounds and wonder why they're there, what they are and how the beasts came to be there.

So yeah, I don't have a disliked colossus and this isn't my second time through since the original release. Basically I'm just bragging or trying to get newcomers and oldcomers to appreciate different aspects of the battle besides "the one trick" to take em down.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
thetechkid said:
Just beat the first colossus for the first time, only complaint so far is riding the horse is worst thing I've ever done in a video game. The controls for that just don't seem good. Besides that so far the game isn't bad.
Yeah I also wish my horse irl would ride like robot Epona too.

edit: Agro-complaints are so 2006. Deal with learning how to control Agro. It's the best thing ever when you do. (I don't even control Agro anymore, I let him do all the walking. The path-finding AI is amazing).

thetechkid said:
Keep in mind that you're controlling the reigns, not the horse. Agro has her own mind and will. So when crossing a winding bridge or travering a twisting, narrow gap, just press X to keep her going. She'll turn and avoid the walls on her own. She's smart like that.

thetechkid

Would probably have been nice to know that before I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out if my hand was being epileptic or not. Oh well.

An-Det

I started and finished my second run through Ico today. Going through the game being able to understand Yorda, using the lightsaber, eating watermelon at the end, it's so fucking good. Overall I'm very impressed with Ico, it's a great game and a hell of an experience.

I'm going to start Shadow of the Colossus tomorrow. Should be awesome.

The texture work is incredible. I've been happy with most HD collections, but this one takes the cake - and not just because the originals are two of the best games ever*.

Though that helps

Nintaiyo

thetechkid said:

Strangely enough, that's one of the things I like most about the horse. Unlike other games, when you climb onto the horse, you don't become the horse. You don't have perfect control over a horse, as a rider does not have perfect control over his horse in real life. You just buck him to get him going, and use the reins to control direction of travel. And once you get going, you don't even have to control him. Just set a general direction and let him cruise, occasionally correcting the path as you please. Having Agro behave this way makes him feel like a real companion, and not just some AI or vehicle. It gives a sense of camaraderie in a mysterious and desolate world. When I was fighting one of the colossi, I got cornered and called out to Agro. He sprinted over, and I leaped onto his side. Before I completely mounted him--I was still hanging off his side--he darted off away from the colossus. It's the little touches like this that make Agro seem real to me, anyway.

Melfice7

thetechkid said:

Don't try to control every movement. I do it like this: down + X to go full speed right away and just press X to maintain the speed, point to where you wanna go and let him do the rest.. only slight direction inputs if its needed

Hope that didnt sound confusing xD but riding Agro is really simple once you realize he doesn't need much babysitting

Conciliator said:
The second time I played SOTC, I forgot it existed - I thought the
bird fella
was the fourth fight. This go round...I forgot again! I forgot that I was supposed to remember that he existed, cause he's so forgettable. Probably the weakest colossus.

I liked him, personally.

The ones I really think were bottom of the barrel are:
Fire protector bull (11?) -- he sucks, flat out... sure it's clever to figure out how to get his armor off, but he's more of an annoyance and there's nothing really colossal about him.

Pillar charging cat/dog from ghostbusters (14) -- retread of 11 -- I like the whole "play keepaway til you can get the armor off aspect, to a degree [I was horrible at it this playthrough and kept missing jumps, ugh], but again, a small armored colossus, dodge and run until he has a hard impact than leap on his back and stab him while he bucks around... where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, on 11.

To a lesser extent I really dislike the sand snake 10 as well.

Didn't really like 7 either... the underwater electric eel.

And 16 kind of sucks, but that's because I dealt with him the first time I played for about 2-3 hours and this time was better, but still was aggravating because Wander wouldn't climb the wrists correctly.

The best, IMO, of course:
Bird (5) -- amazing -- you have to grab on and deal with it's aerial maneuvers to have a go at it... and the setting is amazing.

Flying sand snake (13) -- absolutely grand in scale, impressive and the desert backdrop is wonderful. Also like the puncture the floating bags mechanic.

8 or 9 -- the one in the damn, that one has a great mechanic and the setting/design are visually impressive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Post above made me furious to a degree I never thought would be possible on a gaming forum... I should really, really start learning how to respect other opinions.

I'll get treatment someday, don't worry.

nomster

Yoshichan said:
I'm okay with people criticizing SotC. I'm not okay with anyone saying #4 is 'stupid' :/

Has nothing to do with it being a one trick. It's just boring. It isn't even fun to climb.

Yoshichan

nomster said:
Has nothing to do with it being a one trick. It's just boring. It isn't even fun to climb.
allright, fair enough.

Yoshichan said:
Yeah I also wish my horse irl would ride like robot Epona too.

edit: Agro-complaints are so 2006. Deal with learning how to control Agro. It's the best thing ever when you do. (I don't even control Agro anymore, I let him do all the walking. The path-finding AI is amazing).

Yup, the only trouble sometimes I have is if I and trying to do a U-turn at a wall sometimes, but other than that, like you, I find that steering a bit in the general direction is all you ever need to do, the horse almost always find its path better when I just leave the directional buttons alone and just press X.

SkylineRKR

Bluepoint should handle all HD transfers, they seem to be the best out there. They would probably come up with a better RE4 port than we have now.

Y2Kev said:
You can! The green doors kill all the shadow figures. Most of the other ones you can run past.

I certainly don't defend the combat as being super engaging or interesting, but it's only really mandatory a few times.

The one I mentioned should be skippable but I continously failed in doing so. I would stick my hand out but she wouldn't jump in time so they'll snatch her. Thing is, they go up a ladder and when they do that I'm close to being fucked. So subsequent times I just immediately jumped down and whacked away.

Ive only taken down 2 colossi, but so far this game is incredible. For some reason I never got around playing it even though I loved ICO. But I get to experience it for the first time on a 55" 3d tv with surround sound :D. I cant believe how good the soundtrack, animation, and lighting are for a game built on last gen hardware.

I honestly didnt know what to expect going into this game, but after walking up to the first colossi and the soundtrack kicking in im blown away. Just the way the colossi moved and tried to shake me off his body as I tried to scale him was awesome. When I finally managed to get to the top, I seen how high I was and noticed birds flying around me. It gave me the sense I was climbing something massive, and I took in every minute of it. As for controls, At first I hated the camera controls but after changing a few options it wasnt a problem. I really like how the games camera has a cinematic feel to it, it gives the beauty shots like ICO's camera did but can be freely moved by the player.

Ive read some posts that the 3d wasnt that great. I beg to differ, the 3d is better than everything ive tried on the ps3. Theres great depth both ways, and the game looks incredible in 3d, riding on the horse around the land with the dirt kicking up and the horse animating beautifully is impressive im actually going to play through the entire game in 3d which I havnt done with a game before. Sony should be showing this in stores to show off the ps3's 3d tech.

Danielsan

I finally got back from a long weekend of shit and had my copy finally waiting for me in the mailbox. I jsut played 30 minutes of ICO and god damn. This game is still as amazing as it was back then. I forgot how gorgeous the camera angles were. When you finally get to Yorda and the camera pans across the screen letting some of the warm sunlight slip through one of the windows. Fuck me. That was more beautiful than most things you'll find in games today.

Bluepoint really did a great job remastering ICO (haven't touched my favourite game ever, SotC, yet). It looks astounding.

AiTM

Banned
Just beat ICO for the first time. Final time was 5:05. Damn what an amazing game. Way surpassed my expectations. I don't understand that poster who made the thread saying it was way over hyped.

goonergaz

thetechkid said:

"Interestingly" back on PS2 release my wife (who doesn't play videogames) gave riding Agro a try (as she likes and has ridden horses) - she commented on how 'accurate' the controls actually were.

Adamm

AiTM said:
Just beat ICO for the first time. Final time was 5:05. Damn what an amazing game. Way surpassed my expectations. I don't understand that poster who made the thread saying it was way over hyped.
Indeed. Fantasic game with a Fantasic ending

Its so good im going to play it again!

forrest

formerly nacire
I just finished Shadow of the Colossus. I have played through it many times and I must say that it never fails to just blow me away. I can't think of one other interactive experience that remotely compares to it. There is such a strong narrative and sense of investment in the world, landscape, creatures and characters that just pulls me in with a sense of awe every time. As a total package, it's just so well crafted and realized.

By the time the end screen hits I'm just completely enamored with the whole thing all over again. Of course, we all know nothing is perfect, but the sum here is so much greater than the parts it's the closest my personal tastes in interactive entertainment have come to it. I've played many great games and experiences over the years, and I've enjoyed some of them greatly. But when trying to come up with as much of an equal to this one, I'm left grabbing for straws.

Its simply unmatched.

*bow*

Syn23

finalozzo said:
is there a guide for ICO in order to obtain all the weapons?

It's really easy. You don't need a guide, trust me.
Just search videos that show how to obtain the (I presume two) weapons you're searching.

Finalow

yep, i saw that there are only two missable weapons.
shining sword (ng+)/spiked club(first run)
but when do i need to do that thing in order to obtain these weapons? I mean when in the story or in the location. ''after y before x''

Syn23

finalozzo said:
yep, i saw that there are only two missable weapons.
shining sword (ng+)/spiked club(first run)
but when do i need to do that thing in order to obtain these weapons? I mean when in the story or in the location. ''after y before x''

It's in the waterfall area. In the room with the wooden piston.

Adamm

This new game+ thing people are talking about, how do access it?

I know you have complete the game. But do you load your completed saved game & start again from there or do you just go to new game?

Gattsu25

Banned
Adamm said:
This new game+ thing people are talking about, how do access it?

I know you have complete the game. But do you load your completed saved game & start again from there or do you just go to new game?
Yes, you load the save that is created after the end credits.

Yoshichan said:
I am actually surprised that people complain about it because it was so intuitive. Seriously, you're not navigating fine paths, tap X a few times and nudge him in the right direction at times, what's the problem.

Gattsu25

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
I am actually surprised that people complain about it because it was so intuitive. Seriously, you're not navigating fine paths, tap X a few times and nudge him in the right direction at times, what's the problem.
The expectation is that the animal you are riding has no intelligence whatsoever and becomes a vehicle that you directly control, as it is in other games.

SotC does horse riding better than any other game, IMO.

Gattsu25 said:
The expectation is that the animal you are riding has no intelligence whatsoever and becomes a vehicle that you directly control, as it is in other games.

there was a time, not so long ago, when one simply didn't 'expect' games to control in particular ways. you basically anticipated that part of playing a game was learning the control mechanics. &, while a number of games had control schemes that maybe weren't 'ideal', unless the developer really screwed the pooch, design-wise (which is absolutely not the case with these 2 games), you went with what was there, spent some time getting comfortable with it, & got on with playing the game the way it was intended to be played...

if you're 'fighting with' the controls of either of these games, or any game, it should be obvious that it's because you're trying to control it in ways it's not designed to be controlled. i'm not making excuses for camera problems (something common to many games), & i'm not saying mastering the controls makes either game consistently easy (because it doesn't). what i am saying is, if you're not willing to just go with the control schemes the games offer, & find yourself getting constantly pissed off because they don't conform to the 'better' control scheme that exists in other games / your mind, it likely simply means that these games aren't for you...

skill-wise, i'm a very average gamer, & a relatively recent console gamer - when i played ico, shortly after release, it was the second console game i'd ever played. i never found myself 'fighting with' the combat, or with yorda's pathfinding, & i never found myself 'fighting with' riding agro (yes, it is better than any other game :) ), or scaling colossi. i just went with what i was given, hung in there, & eventually prevailed...

i had no expectations. & i don't for any game. it just makes things clearer: i accept each game on its own terms, go with the flow, & it either works for me, or it doesn't...

there's nothing to be gained from playing a game while all the time wishing it was something it isn't...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kyo_daikun said:
Anyon else have problems redeeming the code for the video and 2 dynamic themes?

Mines saying invalid :(

not live until 10th oct apparently

horse riding is fine. You just accelerate (X) and turn left and right. Whats confusing about that?

goonergaz

So I just got my JP LE box...I need to do a show-off photo of all the Ico & SotC LE I have now!

OOI does anyone know if the code gives you anything other than just the 2 themes (that also come with US/UK version) and pointless Avatars (that you can only use with the JP account you use it with)?

If so I may as well leave it unsed...

PooBone

Gattsu25 said:

I would have to agree.

I only just killed the 10th colossus, I'm 4 hours, 16 minutes into it. Wish I had more time to play, I intend to sit down today and play some, maybe even finish it. There's a few of these colossus I can't remember, like 14 and 15, but so far I have to say the only colossus I dislike is number 6 because he is so visually derivative of other colossi, and killing him is super easy.

I remember the first time I fought number 9
the big turtle that comes out of the cave, and he shot those electric bursts or whatever at me and knocked me off my horse, and Agro gets up limping... I was actually scared.

EDIT: I did have some issues getting the hang of the controls early on, maybe because of the camera resetting itself and how you have to hit triangle when you're on an edge to pull yourself up. I died once fighting the first colossus. Since then, piece of cake. Haven't died once, except when I jumped off a cliff to see if I would survive a fall into water. I didn't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ico must have been mind-blowing in 2002. Going into it, I thought I was in for something really dated, but man, that was fantastic. I'm genuinely impressed.

If nothing else, man, I can't wait to start up SOTC again now.

Danielsan

Played about an hour of SotC. The opening brought tears of joy to my eyes. Such a joy to see this wonderful game on my HD plasma screen and looking as gorgeous as I remember it. I even tested some of it in 3D, which looks surprisingly awesome.

I did notice some minor issues with the presentation that I never noticed back in 2007. The animation of the lizards is really really janky and kind of gives off a game and watch vibe. There are also some LOD issues, but those were present in the original version.
Still, nothing compares to this game for me. Absolutely falling in love with it all over again.

mrklaw said:
horse riding is fine. You just accelerate (X) and turn left and right. Whats confusing about that?
People are used to horses controlling like cars in games and are dumbstruck when in this game you are actually steering Agro with Wander's hands.

Salaadin

You realize how great Agros controls are when you have to fight a colossus on horseback. You can almost forget that youre on horseback and just worry about the fight.

Kuraudo

Banned
Anyone have any trouble with the voucher code that comes with the game (UK version)? PSN keeps telling me it's invalid.

Have GAME screwed me over by giving me a used code?

Kuraudo said:
Anyone have any trouble with the voucher code that comes with the game (UK version)? PSN keeps telling me it's invalid.

Unfortunately, due to some technical issues, you will not be able to download this extra content using the in-pack voucher until Monday 10th October. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/09/27/ico-and-sotc-reviews-are-in-and-bonus-content-unveiled/

Adamm

Kuraudo said:

They arent valid until October 10th or something like that.
I havent tried mine, but ive read it in this thread

goonergaz

Kuraudo said:

it's not live until 10th

Top Bottom