• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

miserable

I just received my copy (EU version), and it has a voucher code to download the videos and dynamic themes, however, the code doesn't work.The copy was brand new, sealed.
Has anybody encountered the same problem?

snk2 said:
I just received my copy (EU version), and it has a voucher code to download the videos and dynamic themes, however, the code doesn't work.The copy was brand new, sealed.
Apparently they aren't working until the 10th of October or something

FireCloud

Playing through ICO again and it is surprising how little I remember from my previous play through. It seems that only the areas where I got stuck the last time have stayed in my memory. I've been breezing through those areas. The other areas I'm having to figure the puzzles out all over again.

I probably played it two years ago. Anyone else having the same experience? I guess it is just part of getting old. One day all of my games will be new again.

FireCloud said:
Playing through ICO again and it is surprising how little I remember from my previous play through. It seems that only the areas where I got stuck the last time have stayed in my memory. I've been breezing through those areas. The other areas I'm having to figure the puzzles out all over again.

I probably played it two years ago. Anyone else having the same experience? I guess it is just part of getting old. One day all of my games will be new again.

the alzheimer's upside: all your old games become new, fresh & exciting experiences...
the alzheimer's downside: you can't remember how to turn on your console...

Mzo

FireCloud said:

When you were a kid you were like a super information sponge. Now as an adult you don't retain as much useless information. I think it's pretty normal to forget something like a video game you've only played once two years ago as an adult. Conversely, I can still remember like every song from every game I played as a kid.

Mzo said:
When you were a kid you were like a super information sponge. Now as an adult you don't retain as much useless information. I think it's pretty normal to forget something like a video game you've only played once two years ago as an adult. Conversely, I can still remember like every song from every game I played as a kid.

This makes me sad, and explains a lot. D:

I guess my brain thinks playing video games are useless memories.

Salaadin

Mzo said:

When SOTC came out, I played through it a ton...3-4 times on Normal and 2-3 on Hard. I put so much time into it.
Im playing through it again in the HD Collection now and there are some fights that I would swear played out differently. Some chunks that I forgot completely or slight alterations that I think happened one way but it turns out I am completely wrong.

On the flip side, I still remember each ones general location on the map. When Dormin comes on and tells me who is next, I just know where to go. Funny how the brain works sometimes.

Vomiaouaf

Oh my. I waited to play these games for so long, but I'm having a really tough time getting into ICO. The puzzle dynamic (bomb + fire) is getting a bit redundant, which really kills the enjoyment of an otherwise unique atmosphere. Tell me it gets better after the first half?

Kuraudo

Banned
Vomiaouaf said:
Oh my. I waited to play these games for so long, but I'm having a really tough time getting into ICO. The puzzle dynamic (bomb + fire) is getting a bit redundant, which really kills the enjoyment of an otherwise unique atmosphere. Tell me it gets better after the first half?

I'm playing it for the first time too and found the first hour or so a bit of a drag. Puzzles seemed pretty simplistic, Yorda seemed to be fighting my progress, and the combat was a huge annoyance.

And then, about three hours in, it all sort of clicked. The puzzles haven't evolved much, but they don't feel overly simplistic either. They feel like a method to force you to fully explore this gorgeous environment, finding the only way to navigate each room. Managing Yorda's become an important part of that and, while the combat hasn't improved, I appreciate it for giving a sense of urgency to get back to her at certain points.

Really loving it now. A little over four hours in and think I'm approaching the final hour or so. It's become very addictive - I keep saving, with a plan to stop, pushing on into the next area just to see what it's like, figuring I might as well push onto the next save point... Really beautiful game.

StuBurns

Banned
For all the talk of bad framerate being 'cinematic', playing SotC in 1080p, the best moment so far was the slowdown while hanging on no.5. It does seem to give the sense of something tasking for the machine to handle, as if it's that grand a thing, it can't be properly rendered. I'm not saying I agree the original framerate is preferable or anything, but I can maybe see that logic now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like the combat in Ico. It's simple in terms of button input (no ridiculous combos or anything), requires some timing and quick thinking, and it adheres to logical physics found elsewhere in the game (i.e. you won't swing the stick around you when you're close to the wall as the stick will just bounce off of the wall). It honestly feels to me like it's simulating a normal human experience of fight with a stick/sword far better than games like Soul Calibur or even God of War etc, what with their zillions of physically impossible combo moves.

StuBurns said:
For all the talk of bad framerate being 'cinematic', playing SotC in 1080p, the best moment so far was the slowdown while hanging on no.5. It does seem to give the sense of something tasking for the machine to handle, as if it's that grand a thing, it can't be properly rendered. I'm not saying I agree the original framerate is preferable or anything, but I can maybe see that logic now.
So there are more noticeable frame skips later on in the game, huh :\
Do frames just drop, or does the game actually slow down?

I don't remember holding on being so annoying before. It took me forever to kill the 3rd colossus because even his tiniest movement sent me spazzing out of my attack animation.

And the 11th one has me in an infinite loop of running into me, keeping me down in a fucking stunned state for about a decade, then smashing me as soon as I get up. This fucking game. I wish he'd just kill me so I can retry but he barely does any damage.

ScOULaris

revolverjgw said:
I don't remember holding on being so annoying before. It took me forever to kill the 3rd colossus because even his tiniest movement sent me spazzing out of my attack animation.
Wander's stability/grip physics have been slightly tweaked in the HD Collection, and #3's stomach vital is where the difference is most readily apparent.

It's pretty annoying, and it makes HTA for #3 unbelievably difficult.

revolverjgw said:
i HATED the third colossus. between trying to get him to
do a long slash instead of stabbing downward
and trying to hold on so i can even get one hit on his weak spots, it was really frustrating trying to take him down.

but the fifth one? quite literally one of the greatest moments in gaming i have ever experienced.
i haven't felt a rush quite like climbing on his back trying to shake you off while soaring thousands of feet above the misty lake.
absolutely amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I knew that Gaius (#3) was my favorite when I stood on his sword and waited him to catapult it upwards. That's where I jumped and used gravity to my advantage; and landed with my sword stabbing his head without having to climb anything.

Note that this was done in the PS2 version in 10 fps... epic.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
So there are more noticeable frame skips later on in the game, huh :\
Do frames just drop, or does the game actually slow down?
Noticeable yeah, but I would say so far absolutely nothing that hurts player performance at all. And it's slow down, no frame dropping so far.

But that's the 1080p mode, I believe 720p is meant to be perfect.

ScOULaris said:
Wander's stability/grip physics have been slightly tweaked in the HD Collection, and #3's stomach vital is where the difference is most readily apparent.

It's pretty annoying, and it makes HTA for #3 unbelievably difficult.

Is this confirmed?

It would explain why all my old strategies for flawless runs do not work anymore...

ScOULaris

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Is this confirmed?

It would explain why all my old strategies for flawless runs do not work anymore...
It's hasn't been confirmed by BluePoint games or anything, but the general consensus among the experienced SotC players is that there's DEFINITELY a difference between the grip physics in the HD Collection and the original PS2 release (both NTSC and PAL).

Whether or not this change was implemented purposefully or just a side-effect of the physics engine being computed while rendering at a higher framerate is unknown. I am hoping that BluePoint will comment on this soon.

Lain

snk2 said:
Nocturnowl said:
Apparently they aren't working until the 10th of October or something
Good to know that. I just received my copy as well from Amazon.it (mine wasn't factory sealed though, which is weird, as Totori that came with it was sealed) and was about to write amazon to inform them that my code didn't work.
So have to wait until the 10? I don't "need" that download content, but seems such a stupid move to include a code that doesn't work when the game is out.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Beat the 3rd boss and 4th boss. The third gave me a scratch on the head because I kenw where to go but I didn't know how to get the stupid armband off. Does anyone know how to increase stamina because it's really screwing me over.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
kayos90 said:
Beat the 3rd boss and 4th boss. The third gave me a scratch on the head because I kenw where to go but I didn't know how to get the stupid armband off. Does anyone know how to increase stamina because it's really screwing me over.
You'll find save altars while roaming around the beautiful world. There will be a silver-tailed lizard hiding around somewhere near every altar. Kill them and eat the tail; increases your stamina by a tiny bit :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
Noticeable yeah, but I would say so far absolutely nothing that hurts player performance at all. And it's slow down, no frame dropping so far.

Interesting... Because I only noticed an actual frame drop once in 1080p mode which wasn't there in 720p mode. No slowdown. I wonder if this slowdown you're seeing is caused not by resolution but by something else, like CPU not being able to calculate stuff fast enough, or even added intentionally to highlight the detail and epicness, like a passing slow-mo shot in a movie would do.

revolverjgw said:
And the 11th one has me in an infinite loop of running into me, keeping me down in a fucking stunned state for about a decade, then smashing me as soon as I get up. This fucking game. I wish he'd just kill me so I can retry but he barely does any damage.
11 is my favorite one. You practically can't fail there if you know what you're doing. If he keeps knocking you over, pull back across that gap that he can't cross (from where you came into that room) and think things over. If you think knockdowns there can get bad, just wait for the 14th one.

So, I finished Shadow of the Colossus last night on Normal. I must say, just like ICO, I really enjoyed playing SOTC. Killing off each colossus was a blast, and I loved how you had to approach them differently. I thought that the ending was quite nice.
As the ending was playing, I didn't think the girl was going to wake up at all but she finally did. That was nice to see after all that was done in the game. When the horse came around after she woke up I was so glad. It was a somber moment when he fell into the river when the bridge crumbled. What shocked me the most is that the main character turned into a baby. I really don't understand why that happened, but maybe it was because of what that old man said? He said that the main character will have to atone for what he has done. I'm not entirely sure about that one aspect, but at least he will be taken care of by the girl now.
So, I'm pretty glad I got this collection. It was 40 bucks well spent.

ScOULaris said:
It's hasn't been confirmed by BluePoint games or anything, but the general consensus among the experienced SotC players is that there's DEFINITELY a difference between the grip physics in the HD Collection and the original PS2 release (both NTSC and PAL).

Whether or not this change was implemented purposefully or just a side-effect of the physics engine being computed while rendering at a higher framerate is unknown. I am hoping that BluePoint will comment on this soon.
Ugh, this is going to bug the hell out of me now. Finally get a chance to give the game a serious try, and now I'm going to be thinking the whole time that it's just the tiniest bit not actually the same game.

ScOULaris

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Ugh, this is going to bug the hell out of me now. Finally get a chance to give the game a serious try, and now I'm going to be thinking the whole time that it's just the tiniest bit not actually the same game.
It's only really an issue with #3 and #15 in Hard Time Attack. Otherwise, when just playing through the game normally, the physics are actually more realistic than they used to be. It's only when you're pressed for time that it becomes a problem.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
StuBurns said:

I've been playing at 720p, haven't noticed any slowdown (six colossi in).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ScOULaris said:
My guess is, if there's any difference (I haven't noticed any on Colossus #1) it's because of the physics engine being calculated at a higher rate. I also think this is the reason the controls feel ridiculous smoother now. I don't remember SotC controling this well even at times when it was running 30FPS on PS2.

Lain

Started Ico, I loved it on PS2 so it was simply right to replay it first. The first impression is more or less positive, yet I can't help but think that they could have done a better job on some textures.
Watching Ico and Yorda sleeping on the couch, with their hand and head close to each other is still as charming as it was years ago.

Scapegoat

Started playing ICO last night - straight away starts making me feel stupid lol. After first meeting the girl
I release her and then wander around for like 10 minutes trying to figure out where to go. Lead her back up the stairs, all around the sides. And then step in front of those stone things with her *smackforehead*

ScOULaris

Full menu screen artwork:

ViIpS.jpg

I picked this up today!

How long is Ico for a first timer? I'm wondering if I should dedicate a day to it and nail it in one sitting (or day, if it's longer than I expect). Seems like that would be the best way to do it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I picked this up today!

How long is Ico for a first timer? I'm wondering if I should dedicate a day to it and nail it in one sitting (or day, if it's longer than I expect). Seems like that would be the best way to do it.
Ico is about 5 hours for a first-timer.

flyover

revolverjgw said:

Yeah, it's too bad the grip was gimped. For some damn reason, I even had trouble with #6, which was always one of the easiest (maybe the easiest after #1) in the entire game for me.

revolverjgw said:

That's always been the case with that one for me. I've gotten better at it, but if I miss my opening jump onto him, I'm doing a bunch of zip-zagged leap-rolls all the way back up the hill ASAP.

Majmun

TheExodu5 said:
I'm assuming SotC must have gotten a lot of praise for its soundtrack, right? It's phenomenal. Definitely one of the best I've ever heard.

"Phenomenal" is the right wording for the OST. It really is phenomenal, and very memorable. One of the best gaming OSTs out there...

Quaz51

i found a trick for more strengh 3D. set the display size in the PS3 HDMI to minimum (10") SotC use this setting for adjust 3D to your screen.
GoW use this setting too but don't use this trick for GoW, use the true screen size for a full depth 3D (farthest parallaxe = IPD) when you push 3D to max

lastinline said:
So, I finished Shadow of the Colossus last night on Normal. I must say, just like ICO, I really enjoyed playing SOTC. Killing off each colossus was a blast, and I loved how you had to approach them differently. I thought that the ending was quite nice.
As the ending was playing, I didn't think the girl was going to wake up at all but she finally did. That was nice to see after all that was done in the game. When the horse came around after she woke up I was so glad. It was a somber moment when he fell into the river when the bridge crumbled. What shocked me the most is that the main character turned into a baby. I really don't understand why that happened, but maybe it was because of what that old man said? He said that the main character will have to atone for what he has done. I'm not entirely sure about that one aspect, but at least he will be taken care of by the girl now.
So, I'm pretty glad I got this collection. It was 40 bucks well spent.
Doesn't the baby also have horns, AKA he becomes a child that will be banished just like in ICO?

Quaz51

Foliorum Viridum said:
I picked this up today!

8h

kizmah

My first time with these games. Started with Ico and I'm about four hours in. And I am loving it. Amazing atmosphere bot mostly great environmental puzzles. It's just cool that a whole setting is one enormous puzzle. Oh, and I really like the 3D. The enclosed environments really lend themselves to 3D and it gives the castle some great depth.

TheExodu5

Banned
Second said:
"Phenomenal" is the right wording for the OST. It really is phenomenal, and very memorable. One of the best gaming OSTs out there...

Since no one had replied to my comment, I had assumed people didn't care for it or something. Glad to see some appreciation!

The music when you first approach the colossi is breathtaking. The music made the colossus 5 fight. Love it.

I think I'm at the very least willing to call it the greatest orchestral video game soundtrack in existence.

Top Bottom