• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Paches

Any way to get this:

ViIpS.jpg

As a wallpaper across 2 monitors? I want this sooooo bad. If any one is willing to do it, I'd love you if it's even possible to keep the quality with resolution or if there is a larger version floating around.

Edit: Like the one linked above where it is all one continuous picture spanning both monitors. Like so: Long one

I just lent my friend SOTC tonight, apparently he thought I said there would be English subtitles in the Japanese version. :p
I hope he can still enjoy the experience even with the lack of subtitles though, hope I did not ruin his first experience with the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Rez said:
You guys realise you can just run up to the lizards and slash them with your sword, right?

I do realize this, but sometimes they aren't on the ground. I've been getting much better at killing them, but it's still too often that the lizard is up on the wall, I shoot it, miss by a little, knock it down, and then proceed to shoot arrow after arrow directly at it only to miss every time. (This is when I'm too far away to run up to it while it's downed and slash it.)

Damn....game is beautiful! But I was struggling with the SotC controls/camera back then, and I'm still struggling now. I play a lot of games, but I can't seem to manage the controls....or I don't feel 100% in control. Everytime I use a weapon like the bow, it centers when aimind and I spend a lot of time aiming, so fighting a colossus becomes frustrating.I don't know what I keep doing wrond. Inverted controls don't help either. Any tips?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished SOTC. I've posted my thoughts on it before, but the one thing that surprises me now having finished the collection is how much more I enjoyed Ico. Ico felt like a really well made indie game (with a budget) that could have been released this year and and would have been totally charming. SOTC still feels like a game that was released before technology could catch up to the vision.

Syn23

Rez said:
I just finished SOTC. I've posted my thoughts on it before, but the one thing that surprises me now having finished the collection is how much more I enjoyed Ico. Ico felt like a really well made indie game (with a budget) that could have been released this year and and would have been totally charming. SOTC still feels like a game that was released before technology could catch up to the vision.

I haven't finished SotC yet, but I'd say I agree with you.
Yesterday playing SotC suddenly this came to my mind: ICO was a PS1 project, and it was a great game on PS2. SotC was "unplayable" (I'm forcing it) on PS2, due to low framerate, and this remake isn't great also on PS3: low framerate at fake 1080p, pop in still present. But I think it would be totaly better if it was made natively on PS3.
So, isn't Ueda too much ahead of his time? Aren't his projects too ambitious? Could this be related to why The last Guardian continues to be delayed? Will it be too much for the PS3 to handle?
I really hope the answer to all these questions is no.

mugwhump

UrbanRats said:
Wait this is one long stretch in the game? Like THIS?
I told everybody you could see the castle from ICO if you stood on the end of SotC's huge bridge!

But they were all like 'hurr durr no dat's a grafix glitch durp'

I take it Amazon refused to price match Best Buy's price? I should have ordered online while it was available, but I wanted to see if I could find it in store. Now I'm wondering if it's going to be in stock again before the sale ends.

ScOULaris

Only #3 and #15 left to go in Hard Time Attack. I saved the worst for last.

Had one half-stab left on #3's last vital (the elbow) last night... lost my grip right before I could press square to finish him off.

Played #15 this morning. I was making good time after having taken out his head and chest vitals, then I missed the jump to his elbow and had to waste time getting back onto him. By the time I got the last stab in on his hand, I was five seconds over the limit.

I was pretty pissed, but I know I can get them both next time.

gembel

need help with SOTC 5th colossus.. it has 0 hp but wont die.. wtf??

already stabbed all weak points on tail and both wings... what next?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gembel said:
There is a weakpoint that you haven't fully killed. Go to each vitalpoint again
back of his tail, left and right wing

ScOULaris

gembel said:

already stabbed all weak points on tail and both wings... what next?
Yeah, one of the vitals isn't completely dead. You know a vital is toast when it glows brightly before disappearing.

Tadale

I beat the 2nd and 3rd colossus last night while playing in 3D, and I was very impressed by the effect. I played through about half of Resistance 3 in 3D, and it gave me a headache after every hour or so of play. SotC was very smooth throughout – probably the best 3D I've seen on PS3.

ScOULaris

Paches-EJ- said:
Any way to get this:

http://i.imgur.com/ViIpS.jpg

As a wallpaper across 2 monitors? I want this sooooo bad. If any one is willing to do it, I'd love you if it's even possible to keep the quality with resolution or if there is a larger version floating around.

Edit: Like the one linked above where it is all one continuous picture spanning both monitors. Like so: Long one
Look at the dimensions of the long one. Even if we had it at a desktop-worthy resolution, it would stretch across like 10 monitors.

krae_man

Is it just me or does the grip meter in Shadow drain differently?

I tried climbing up the temple and got higher jumping the whole way. I don't recall that being the case on the PS2. Not to mention you can't cheat and do angle jumps the whole way up without your grip meter draining anylonger.

Lily

So i thought i completed ICO pretty quickly, and thought i was in with a chance of the 2 hour trophy...turns out i completed it in 2:46, i have no idea where i can cut anymore time out :(

Draft said:
As far as I can tell, if you leave the zone she is in (as in, go through a loading screen), within a few minutes shadows will spawn in her zone and kill her. Unless you are very quick. she needs to be dragged through each loading screen.

This seems to greatly vary. In some areas, it's a matter of seconds, in some areas, it takes a very long time for that to happen. I think the designers set a timer for each area based on specific gameplay factors.

I think it's actually a very effective mechanic to instill separation anxiety.

ProTip: If you're in the same "room" as her, no matter how far apart you are, no shadows will come steal her.

ProTip2: In areas that have multiple doorways between two rooms, you can leave her by the doorway of one, and she'll always be in the same room as you if you go through a different doorway.

rSpooky

Why is the 4th collosus not cooperating ???
I know what I am suppsed to do
get his attention, tun in a hole , get him to look for me and then sneak through the tunnels behind him
but he isnt being very helpful. any suggestions?

Lily

rSpooky said:
Why is the 4th collosus not cooperating ???
I know what I am suppsed to do
get his attention, tun in a hole , get him to look for me and then sneak through the tunnels behind him
but he isnt being very helpful. any suggestions?
there's another way to climb up him, when he peeks his head in the hole, jump on one of the chains dangling from his face, just fire some arrows at him to get his attention and follow you.

rSpooky

Lily said:
there's another way to climb up him, when he peeks his head in the hole, jump on one of the chains dangling from his face, just fire some arrows at him to get his attention and follow you.
But that is the problem, he doesnt do that :/ he just follows, stomps and walks off.

dock

Lily said:
So i thought i completed ICO pretty quickly, and thought i was in with a chance of the 2 hour trophy...turns out i completed it in 2:46, i have no idea where i can cut anymore time out :(
What was your timestamp at the final couch, or didn't you save?

one85x

rSpooky said:
But that is the problem, he doesnt do that :/ he just follows, stomps and walks off.
Just let him see you running into a tunnel, then wait. I've found that shooting arrows at him to get his attention only makes him attack the spot I was shooting from.

ScOULaris

I found that #4 will always look into the tunnel if he sees you going into it and then you run down the stairs to the middle area of the underground tunnels. If you just wait on the stairs looking out the entrance, he will sometimes just stomp around like you said.

Then again, you can just jump off of Agro onto the back of his right heel and then launch yourself onto his tail right from the start. ;)

rSpooky

one85x said:
Just let him see you running into a tunnel, then wait. I've found that shooting arrows at him to get his attention only makes him attack the spot I was shooting from.
let me try that.. thanks

krae_man

4th colossi help:

I always just yelled from inside one tunnel, then immidiately ran out another and peaked out and made a break for it the second he started looking in the hole

ScOULaris

finalozzo said:
amazing, the first one is the best.
It's kind of a waste of such beautiful artwork for it to be 80% shrouded in darkness on the game selection screen.

I want to know who it was that drew the extra stuff in between. Was it Ueda, himself?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ScOULaris said:
It's kind of a waste of such beautiful artwork for it to be 80% shrouded in darkness on the game selection screen.

I want to know who it was that drew the extra stuff in between. Was it Ueda, himself?
You can see it all fairly clearly if you quickly flick left/right in dpad.

GQman2121

Banned
finalozzo said:
amazing, the first one is the best.
I really like the last one. I have the Ico cover framed in my livingroom already. I'd love to see HQ versions of these appear online at some point.

I did a quickie for people who want a pano or a general view of it. Click on Thumbnail for full view. Quality is not too spectacular, we need higher res art or a good vector trace.

ScOULaris said:
If it's from the disc, why isn't it higher res? It looks crisp and clear in the game on my 1080p display.

I have no clue. We have threads on GAF with hi-res XMB art ripped straight from discs, yet the most awesome rips are getting the sub-SD treatment.

That is some serious trolling. Too bad because there are Hi-res versions of the ICO boxart around.

BTW if GAF had sigs this would be mine.

3rdman

I'd like something far more simple...Is there artwork of just the extremes in 4:3 in high res?

I've seen the Ico one but it's not in a 4:3 standard...

The waterwheel in Ico is so excruciating. I made it easily in two jumps, screwed something up and had to reload, and now I've been stuck on it for 15 minutes. Fuck. I guess my initial beginner's luck is the only reason I'm not walking away from the game now.

yggdrasil

How many colossi/lizards does it take to reach the
Secret Garden
? Just finished my second playthrough last night and regrettably did not have enough, so I guess I'll be going back and getting all the fruit again for no gain except trophy. Irritating.

epmode

revolverjgw said:
The waterwheel in Ico is so excruciating. I made it easily in two jumps, screwed something up and had to reload, and now I've been stuck on it for 15 minutes. Fuck. I guess my initial beginner's luck is the only reason I'm not walking away from the game now.
The water wheel is easily Ico's worst puzzle. Even when you know what you're doing, the jumps are needlessly twitchy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
rSpooky said:

I think you want him to be stomping relatively near the hole you plant to go into, then go into the hole and just wait around until the tunnels stop shaking. This can take 30 seconds or so. Then peek out and find him and he should be in a mountable position.

I was getting pissed off too because I knew what to do, but I didn't remember that you had to wait for so long after going into the tunnels.

Mordeccai

I'm fairly close to stopping my Ico play through and booting up SOTC just because I'm really not enjoying the former all that much. I just don't know why I can't get into the game.

Then again it is short enough, so I may just plow through it, have yet to decide.

Just realized
beating Gaius on time-attack is the worst thing ever.
Why in the hell do I flop around so much? I didn't have the problem before...

Lily said:
Skipping cutscenes? Play co-op so Yorda moves intelligently? Besides skipping as much combat as possible, that's all I can think of.

Paches-EJ- said:
Any way to get this:

http://i.imgur.com/ViIpS.jpg[/MG]

Edit: Like the one linked above where it is all one continuous picture spanning both monitors. Like so: [URL="http://i.minus.com/iUxvIVV6xgqnB.jpg"]Long one[/URL][/QUOTE]

So good. My new Touchpad background. :D

Two things:

1. Fuck you developers, I got all the fruit and received no trophy.

2. Agro committed suicide! I was lizard hunting and while trying to aim at one near an oceanside cliff, I passed over Agro and he freaked out and jumped off into the water below.

Top Bottom