• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat the game again on hard... simply the best. The best.

sublimit

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Full menu screen artwork:

ViIpS.jpg
Wow...so awesome!

sublimit

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Since no one had replied to my comment, I had assumed people didn't care for it or something. Glad to see some appreciation!

The music when you first approach the colossi is breathtaking. The music made the colossus 5 fight. Love it.

I think I'm at the very least willing to call it the greatest orchestral video game soundtrack in existence.
I have both soundtracks.I loved SOTC's ost but personally i prefer the Ico ost.I really hope they get Michiru Oshima back to write the score for the Last Guardian.

Grisby

sublimit said:
I have both soundtracks.I loved SOTC's ost but personally i prefer the Ico ost.I really hope they get Michiru Oshima back to write the score for the Last Guardian.

While I on the other hand much prefer SOTC, ;). Having just played through Ico I can only recall the save music and the ending lyrical theme.

Either way we both have good taste in music. Team ICO hasn't announced who's doing the music for the Last Guardian yet right?

(secretly hopes Miller's Crossing theme is somehow still in.)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I need lizard-killing tips.

It took me longer to kill a lizard at a save point than it did to beat the first two colossi. I don't remember it being so difficult, but I must have had more patience the first time I played the game. The camera design and arrow aiming are also kind of frustrating when it comes to this task.

What's the pro strategy?

Do I really just have to wait until the lizard comes into view and then try to hit it with an arrow?

Is it better to try to get up close kill it with the sword?

Do they move in a repeating pattern over the surface of the save temple?

And do they actively try to avoid you if you actually climb up on the temple?

Help me SOTC GAF, you're my only hope.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

It took me longer to kill a lizard at a save point than it did to beat the first two colossi.
I think half my game time was spent staking out those lizards, sometimes things went very well other time it was like Tom and Jerry with the little gits foiling my murder attempts. It's like another game in itself.
As for tips, I think there are vague patterns to a lizards movements, some don't seem to go around the shrine much at all for example while others don't leave it so keep a watchful eye I guess.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

It took me longer to kill a lizard at a save point than it did to beat the first two colossi. I don't remember it being so difficult, but I must have had more patience the first time I played the game. The camera design and arrow aiming are also kind of frustrating when it comes to this task.

What's the pro strategy?...

same :) ...

i started hopping off agro a distance from the temples, & then would circle until i spotted one, & then pelt it with arrows. if i didn't kill it, i'd get closer & repeat. if i couldn't see it, i'd climb a bit to get it moving, jump down & repeat. not sure if this's the pro strategy. it took time, but it worked (unless they're running on the ground, the sword is pretty useless)...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come on man, that's embarrassing (you have a RE4 avatar)... just walk around (without Agro) with your bow, when you find the lizard, wait for him to stop, aim, shoot, loot. If he survives the first arrow, just keep at him.

sublimit

Banned
Grisby said:
(secretly hopes Miller's Crossing theme is somehow still in.)
I know i'm in the minority but honestly i didn't really like the choice of Miller's Crossing as the theme for the trailers.I found it a bit too much "mellow" for my tastes.:/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
Come on man, that's embarrassing (you have a RE4 avatar)... just walk around (without Agro) with your bow, when you find the lizard, wait for him to stop, aim, shoot, loot. If he survives the first arrow, just keep at him.

I usually see the lizard fairly soon after arriving at the save temple, but I don't get him immediately. That's when I start walking around it in circles and it seems to take forever to even see the lizard again. That's why I'm questioning whether there's some better way to do it, because it was ridiculous.

I want to enjoy exploring the world and killing them lizards, but the process highlights how ill-suited the camera and bow controls are to such a precise task.

sublimit said:
I know i'm in the minority but honestly i didn't really like the choice of Miller's Crossing as the theme for the trailers.I found it a bit too much "mellow" for my tastes.:/

I'm with you in that I prefer Team Ico's sensibility when it comes to original compositions and I hope they do another excellent soundtrack for Last Guardian. Miller's Crossing theme was okay, but I definitely wouldn't want it in the game instead of something orchestral or mandolin-based.

Patapwn

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I usually see the lizard fairly soon after arriving at the save temple, but I don't get him immediately. That's when I start walking around it in circles and it seems to take forever to even see the lizard again. That's why I'm questioning whether there's some better way to do it, because it was ridiculous.

I want to enjoy exploring the world and killing them lizards, but the process highlights how ill-suited the camera and bow controls are to such a precise task.

Why don't you just climb up and kill the bastard with your sword? That's how I been rollin' in the forbidden land

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Patapwn said:
Why don't you just climb up and kill the bastard with your sword? That's how I been rollin' in the forbidden land

I did get one that way. I was just worried that if you climb up there, they actively avoid you.

I'll try it again and see if it's faster than waiting around on the ground.

Bit-Bit

hey_it's_that_dog said:

What's the pro strategy?

Do I really just have to wait until the lizard comes into view and then try to hit it with an arrow?

Is it better to try to get up close kill it with the sword?

Do they move in a repeating pattern over the surface of the save temple?

And do they actively try to avoid you if you actually climb up on the temple?

Help me SOTC GAF, you're my only hope.

I think if you hold down the O button you can walk up to it without it running away. Them not running away makes all the difference.

OK, I'm doing my second run on Ico with the aim of seeing how close I can get to the 2 hour mark. I've just reached the W
indmill save point
at 47 minutes dead :p. Anyone got any idea how off the pace I am?

(Location spoilers)
I know I've lost a lot of time at the platform before the rails (Trolley) and at the graveyard due to the enemies in those areas. I found the enemies hard to escape in those areas.

Other save points reached (minor location spoilers):

First save point: 00:13:11
Trolley: 00:20:50
Crane: 00:23:17
Main Gate: 00:30:46
Graveyard: 00:33:21 (before monsters appeared)
Windmill: 00:47:00

HiddenAway said:
OK, I'm doing my second run on Ico with the aim of seeing how close I can get to the 2 hour mark. I've just reached the W
indmill save point

(Location spoilers)
I know I've lost a lot of time at the platform before the rails (Trolley) and at the graveyard due to the enemies in those areas. I found the enemies hard to escape in those areas.

Windmill? 27 minutes would be about right...
At 47 minutes you want to be leaving the East Arena...
At 15 minutes you really need to be at the Graveyard

Syn23

I finished ICO last week and loved every second of it. Now I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus.
I'm not enjoying it much.

I've beaten the first five colossi.
Is the pattern always the same?
Draw his attention, find a way to mount him, find the rune, damage him, try not to fall down, if you fall repeat?
I don't like the controls (I know you have already heard that), and I don't find the atmosphere and the main character nearly as charming as they were in ICO.
Sure the concept is great, riding a flying beast is always pleasing, but I just turned off my PS3 after spending 10 minutes attracting the sixth colossus, waiting for him to punch the ground and trying to go up his arm.

Any advice to enjoy the game more?

KennyLinder said:
Windmill? 27 minutes would be about right...
At 47 minutes you want to be leaving the East Arena...
At 15 minutes you really need to be at the Graveyard

Location spoilers:
OK, I think that's partly the cutscenes then. After all, how am I supposed to get to the graveyard if I got to the first save point in 13 minutes? :S

Not overly urgent. I was prepared to need a third run. I'll keep trying on this second run and use it to mop up 2 of the 3 trophies I need.

Yoshichan

Syn23 said:
Any advice to enjoy the game more?
Nope, from your description, you seem to be doing everything right (especially considering that you liked ICO and know how to 'properly' play these games). Dunno how to help you, but I will say this: try keeping at it. Enjoy the scenery and the music. You might end up liking it, who knows?

kizmah

Four hours in and I'm loving Ico. Played it in 3D my last session and really enjoyed it. Great depth to the castle. Is 3D affecting the performance of Colossus? Haven't tried it yet, I want to finish Ico first.

HiddenAway said:
Location spoilers:
OK, I think that's partly the cutscenes then. After all, how am I supposed to get to the graveyard if I got to the first save point in 13 minutes? :S

Not overly urgent. I was prepared to need a third run. I'll keep trying on this second run and use it to mop up 2 of the 3 trophies I need.

- Yeah its vital to skip every cutscene in the game, they all add time (pausing the game freezes the timer, retrying if you die adds to the timer). Also, there are two unskippable cutscenes; the ending/credits and the
part where you fall off of the bridge
- Basically avoid every fight you can, there are only two fights in the game which you have to do, and one of those is
the fight with a billion of the shadows before the Queen
- ICO can jump and drop a long way, its really important to learn what platforms he can fall off and not die, you'll be surprised!
- Yorda, bless her, can be left for reasonable amounts of time at specific locations.

Have a look at these speedrun videos, they were done with the PS2 version but they are same of course. http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/team-ico-collection-ico/127058-ico-hd-trophy-guide-roadmap.html.

Syn23

Yoshichan said:
Nope, from your description, you seem to be doing everything right (especially considering that you liked ICO and know how to 'properly' play these games). Dunno how to help you, but I will say this: try keeping at it. Enjoy the scenery and the music. You might end up liking it, who knows?

I will finish the game for sure. I just hope I'll start to like it more.

Yoshichan

Syn23 said:
I will finish the game for sure. I just hope I'll start to like it more.
So do I... but you've just passed #5 (everyones' favorite) and you're still not enjoying it so... :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just bet colossus eight, the point where I've stopped on my past few playthroughs for some reason. It was a lot better this time, I actually understood how the yellow mist worked (I could never see it on my PS2 for some reason).

This is the mos forum-ass forum thing in the world, but what is everyone's favourite and least favourite colossi, and why? I'm curious to see what people like

Patapwn

Yoshichan said:
So do I... but you've just passed #5 (everyones' favorite) and you're still not enjoying it so... :/
My favorite was 13 so... there is still hope!

Best boss ever IMO by the way

Yoshichan

Yeah 13 is not my favorite (not even top 5), that's probably why I forgot :lol
Rez said:
Is 13 the one with the torch?
Huge sand worm in the air

You're thinking of

first time playing shadow and I got through the first 2 colossi.

game is pretty good. Music is great.

sure is a big step up from the small and simple Ico.... crazy to think it was the follow up to that.

Draft

Rez said:
Do shadows actually get the girl if you fall down the waterfall? That never happened for me when I played this for the first time yesterday, and I really took my time getting back there.
As far as I can tell, if you leave the zone she is in (as in, go through a loading screen), within a few minutes shadows will spawn in her zone and kill her. Unless you are very quick. she needs to be dragged through each loading screen.

teiresias

Am i the only one that gets a graphic glitch in ICO during the cutscene when
you've finally opened the main gate and are crossing the big bridge over to the other side and the bridge starts to open
?

The glitch is
on the edge of the shadow that moves down the bridge as it opens and finally envelopes Yorda. The edge is white and green, as if however they were doing the soft edge of the shadow is glitching out. Also, in the PS2 version she is enveloped in darkness, but in the HD version on my machine she just becomes a slightly shadowed shade and doesn't become "smokey"

Here's the cutscene I'm talking about from the PS2 version of the cutscene (cued to the relevant part) *obviously don't click on link if you don't want spoilers of any kind*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MabIxIHjc#t=07m38s

I'm uploading a video I took of it playing back on the PS3, but since Youtube is apparently in read-only mode, who knows when it will be available.

Has this been mentioned before? Sorry, if so.

Erigu

teiresias said:
Am i the only one that gets a graphic glitch in ICO during the cutscene when
you've finally opened the main gate and are crossing the big bridge over to the other side and the bridge starts to open
?

The glitch is
on the edge of the shadow that moves down the bridge as it opens and finally envelopes Yorda. The edge is white and green, as if however they were doing the soft edge of the shadow is glitching out. Also, in the PS2 version she is enveloped in darkness, but in the HD version on my machine she just becomes a slightly shadowed shade and doesn't become "smokey"
Not a glitch: they just changed those effects for the Japanese and PAL versions, and the HD version is based on those. (<- the video contains SPOILERS, obviously)

Amir0x

Banned
I'd say my favorite colossus is the Sand Colossus where you have to jump off the horse to grab the Colossus wing... so epic. And my other favorite is the one you have to climb up his sword. It's super fun to time run that Colossus.

Man this game is so much better with the framerate now, it's now one of the best games ever.

teiresias

Erigu said:
Not a glitch: they just changed those effects for the Japanese and PAL versions, and the HD version is based on those. (<- the video contains SPOILERS, obviously)

I don't even understand that change in the effect, I mean why even change it to look like that in the PAL version at all? It seriously looks more like a graphical glitch than anything else, but if it's in the PAL version I guess it's right, just looks ridiculous IMO.

Erigu

teiresias said:
I don't even understand that change in the effect, I mean why even change it to look like that in the PAL version at all?
Guess they just liked it better that way?
(The same effect is used when Yorda is captured, by the way.)

GQman2121

Banned
HiddenAway said:
indmill save point

(Location spoilers)

You can save a ton of time (like ten minutes) before the trolly portion. Check the PS2 videos on youtube.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
Yeah 13 is not my favorite (not even top 5), that's probably why I forgot :lol

Huge sand worm in the air

You're thinking of
Oh wow, I would have bet money on Torches being the second small one. Crazy. I just bet him now.

Mush

I just reached the Graveyard at 25min in. After seeing some of the youtube videos, I should probably start again lol.

Das Boot

Banned
I beat Ico and honestly wasnt that impressed. I love it for its concept and for its thematic elements--I really, really do. But I ultimately found the game just not that engaging and I became bored as I got late in to the game. I dunno...just meh.

SOTC on the other hand is incredible--I'm loving everything about it so far.

I love the emotional engagement both games provide and this is the first time I have played both games.

Cartman86

Banned
Das Boot said:
I beat Ico and honestly wasnt that impressed. I love it for its concept and for its thematic elements--I really, really do. But I ultimately found the game just not that engaging and I became bored as I got late in to the game. I dunno...just meh.

SOTC on the other hand is incredible--I'm loving everything about it so far.

I love the emotional engagement both games provide and this is the first time I have played both games.

Pretty much how I felt when I played them. SOTC in my top 10 of all time.

rhino4evr

I Went exploring and found a tree with oranges on it! Major health upgrade!

Really enjoy this game, just finished the 7th colossi.

yggdrasil

hey_it's_that_dog said:

If you've done enough time attacks to get the lizard stone, I recommend going all the way through for the exploding arrows. They greatly reduce the time/frustration of lizard hunting.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You guys realise you can just run up to the lizards and slash them with your sword, right?

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
You guys realise you can just run up to the lizards and slash them with your sword, right?
Yeah exactly, I tried it yesterday and all I did was walk up to it and twat it once, I wasn't even that precise, I think it has some massive hit box for sword attacks.

Top Bottom