• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

yggdrasil

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Two things:

1. Fuck you developers, I got all the fruit and received no trophy.

2. Agro committed suicide! I was lizard hunting and while trying to aim at one near an oceanside cliff, I passed over Agro and he freaked out and jumped off into the water below.

Pretty sure you missed one, unless you got the one
that steals all your stats in the Secret Garden

Just recieved my copy. What the fuck are/were they thinking?! The Canadian boxart is a fucking mess! You can't read any font, you can't see the images. It's stupid and they fucking expect to sell this?!

I've just gotten back from a 5 week Europe holiday and had this game waiting for me on my bed at home.

Gonna clear out my backlog before I dive in...I’ve never played them and I can’t wait to experience them!

An-Det

I've beaten through Colossus 7 (the
water one in the lake
), loving the game so far. Agro is a bit annoying to pilot at times, but finding and taking down the Colossi is incredible.

so I beat the 3rd guy and I am only a hour and 15 minutes into the game.... how long is this game?

I guess it will start taking longer to get to each colossi and they will get hard and hard right? seems like of easy so far.

The American boxart is pretty bad too. Luckily there's the beautiful alternative on the back. I just got the game a few days ago from GS. I'm on the last colossi. I'm a bit surprised by how fast I've progressed in SOTC. I guess because I remember most of the boss battles. Great game! I played about forty minutes of ICO and, my god, brilliant! I love the urgency the boy has when he's holding Yorda's hand.

Erekiddo

My girlfriend just finished this up last night. I was going to show her the Secret Garden, but I am disappointed to find out they removed the diagonal jump glitch. Also, no more resting spot.

Ugh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rez said:
How do you even get to the secret garden?
Back of the temple, you can see some stuff you can climb on. You need tons of stamina though :)

tigerin

Just started playing ico....so far, this game is boring and slow. The girl pisses me off, she is such a huge burden....so high maintenance too. Why can't she just climb the chain rope or atleast try to fight back the monsters.....atleast pretend it doing something? This girl better save me later in the game or I'm gonnakill her.

yggdrasil said:
Pretty sure you missed one, unless you got the one
that steals all your stats in the Secret Garden

Figures...

Well that sucks because the angle-jump climbing doesn't work anymore and I'll be damned if they think I'm going to ride around aimlessly constantly pausing the game every 15 seconds to look at the map to see if there's any Shiny Lizards around so I can kill it, eat its tail and up my stamina by 0.01%.

bender

What time is it?
Started playing Shadow tonight. The controls take a lot of getting used to and I can see being put off by them if this is your first time with the game. I spent about two hours just riding around the world and collecting white lizard tails (I think I'm close to 20 now). I love the look of the dense forest sections. Riding through areas where you'll eventually fight a Colossus brings back such fond memories. I can't wait to play more this weekend.

Sidzed2

tigerin said:
Just started playing ico....so far, this game is boring and slow. The girl pisses me off, she is such a huge burden....so high maintenance too. Why can't she just climb the chain rope or atleast try to fight back the monsters.....atleast pretend it doing something? This girl better save me later in the game or I'm gonnakill her.

I am hoping that this is parody :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sidzed2 said:
I am hoping that this is parody :)
I don't think he's kidding.

Anteater

tigerin said:

:lol

zoukka

tigerin said:

You'll learn how to love one day.

cnizzle06

Banned
tigerin said:
As Ueda would say, she's a helpless dress-wearing woman.
I wouldn't care as much if it let me look up her skirt.

Yoshichan

tigerin said:
Bro......she looks 12. Lol
So does every other woman that's designed in Japan.

Danielsan

tigerin said:
The girl is blind. That's why. At least I recall her being blind.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yoshichan said:
So does every other woman that's designed in Japan.

Except for all the ones with colossal breasts.

Danielsan said:

I've heard this too as an excuse for her terrible pathfinding AI, but doesn't she chase after birds and stuff? Also, she walks around on her own and doesn't fall off of things or trip.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Forgot to mention - Ico absolutely has no gamma problems whatsoever on my TV (panasonic plasma). Those Eurogamer and Giantbomb videos that showed picture to be darker than it should were completely wrong and deceiving, at least in my case. For example, that intro scene where the little boat goes into the cave, in the Eurogamer video it looked pitch black. On my TV however it looked just as it should, everything was nicely visible and not too dark. This is all on default ingame brightness settings too.

ScOULaris

Finally beat Hard Time Attack last night.

For all of you who plan on undertaking this endeavor, I offer you one piece of advice: drink heavily when attempting #3 and #15. It's the only way to keep your sanity in check.

It's all worth it in the end though.
The Queen's Sword makes playing through the game super quick and easy, which is good for getting your stamina big enough to climb the temple.

rSpooky

Got pas collossi 4-9 fairly quickly last night. My daughters love watching me play this game. It is funny in a way , they started witha "slay that giant" attitude to "they are so pretty , why do you have to kill them" one.

Tr4nce

Wow, getting to the Secret Garden. That was a moment in gaming history for me, which I will never forget.
First you have to build an insane amount of stamina, and then you have to follow a specific route to get there'.

This game was so amazing when it was released. It's a very, very special game.

LordCanti

Danielsan said:

I don't know where that rumor came from. Yorda's not blind though. She looks right at Ico all the time. She also has to look at jump distances to decide whether she can make them or not, which happens frequently.

sublimit

Banned
Finished Ico again yesterday (first time in HD.)Even though i had already played the PS2 version three times in the past man,it still amazed me almost like the first time i had played it...such masterpiece.
Its story with its subtle way of storytelling gives so much room to the player's imagination/interpretation that makes Ico's world way more mysterious and interesting than any other game out there.It's really a high art to know exactly what to take out from your work and what to put in.Ueda is a true master of this kind of storytelling.

Can't wait to play SOTC again.

goonergaz

couple of things (minor spoiler alert):

lizards - are they all ones that help increase your strength? if not, how do you tell the difference (and how do you know if you got the boost - with fruit there is and noise to confirm)

SotC - I got a weird colour thing going on, I was hunting for lizard locations and entered a cave with water (which eventually leads to the colossi that crawls on the arena walls) - there's a bit where Agro slows right down - well, as I panned the camera the colours changed from like dull green to lush green...have I got some setting wrong!?

Ta for any help.

yggdrasil

ScOULaris said:
Finally beat Hard Time Attack last night.

For all of you who plan on undertaking this endeavor, I offer you one piece of advice: drink heavily when attempting #3 and #15. It's the only way to keep your sanity in check.

It's all worth it in the end though.
The Queen's Sword makes playing through the game super quick and easy, which is good for getting your stamina big enough to climb the temple.

I am jealous. I played through Normal a second time, collecting all lizards and fruit (save one), but have still not started Hard. Sadly, I'm running out of gas on Colossus, and still can't make it to the top of the shrine.

Do we have any idea how many colossi/lizard tails are required to max out stamina?

StuBurns

Banned
goonergaz said:
couple of things (minor spoiler alert):

lizards - are they all ones that help increase your strength? if not, how do you tell the difference (and how do you know if you got the boost - with fruit there is and noise to confirm)
Only the ones with white tips on their tails, you'll find them by save points and a few other places.

ChryZ

I just finished ICO. What a beautiful experience. It IS a masterpiece, such a timeless classic. HD made its scale pop even further. The castle (read level design) is fucking brilliant.

ScOULaris

yggdrasil said:
I am jealous. I played through Normal a second time, collecting all lizards and fruit (save one), but have still not started Hard. Sadly, I'm running out of gas on Colossus, and still can't make it to the top of the shrine.

Do we have any idea how many colossi/lizard tails are required to max out stamina?
Don't worry about collecting all of the lizard tails. The increase in stamina from them is so small that it's faster to just play through the game again, killing Lizards every now and then without getting obsessive.

Like I said though, it's worth it to go through HTA first. Once you get the
Queen's Sword
, the game is your bitch.

StuBurns said:
Only the ones with white tips on their tales, you'll find them by save points and a few other places.
You'll also know when they give you a stamina boost because a sound will chime and you'll see your stamina circle glow and expand slightly.

goonergaz

cheers guys, I was asking because my kids are finding this hard so wanted to try and make it easier for them...looks like they'll just have to wait until they're older :|

ScOULaris

goonergaz said:
cheers guys, I was asking because my kids are finding this hard so wanted to try and make it easier for them...looks like they'll just have to wait until they're older :|
Have them try Hard Time Attack for #3 and #15. That'll put some hair on their chests right quick.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Figures...

Well that sucks because the angle-jump climbing doesn't work anymore and I'll be damned if they think I'm going to ride around aimlessly constantly pausing the game every 15 seconds to look at the map to see if there's any Shiny Lizards around so I can kill it, eat its tail and up my stamina by 0.01%.

Or you can play the game over the same save file to keep your stamina growing...

one85x

yggdrasil said:

I was able to climb to the top during my 3rd playthrough, 8 colossi in. I had the lizard trophy by that time as well.

ScOULaris

I figured I'd compile a list of some of the subtle differences I've noticed between this version of SotC (PAL) and the original U.S. PS2 version. We all know about the major differences in Ico (extra ending, improved Yorda A.I., two-player mode, translated subtitles, film grain, piston room and water wheel), but SotC's differences are not as readily apparent.

• If your last save was at a Save Shrine and you let the title screen idle, it will show a hawk flying around the landscape near the Save Shrine. In the original U.S. version, the song used during this is the same as the attract mode showing Agro running around. In this version, a different song plays that was absent from the U.S. version completely.
  • After beating the game for the first time, the originally deleted song from the OST "Swift Horse" plays while informing the player about Hard Mode and Time Attack.
  • The last stab on every colossus occurs in slow-motion, whereas this effect was omitted from the U.S. PS2 release.
  • Both in the original PAL version and this HD version, there are differences in Wander's grip/stability when standing on or grabbing onto colossi. The differences were already present in the PAL PS2 version, but they are even more noticeable here. It is still unknown whether this was a change implemented by BluePoint during the porting process or just a byproduct of the improved framerate affecting the physics calculations.
  • Much like in the PAL PS2 version, there is a 1.8 second delay in Time Attack before you can move Wander. In the U.S. PS2 version, this delay didn't occur.
  • In the U.S. version, there was a glitch where jumping diagonally used very little or no stamina at all. This allowed the player to reach the secret garden atop the temple without having to play through the same multiple times. The glitch was removed in the PAL version, which is reflected in the HD Collection. They also removed a resting spot during the climb to the top that was in the U.S. version, further increasing the challenge of making it up there.
  • Last, but not least, we get
    PAL the squirrel
    during the ending of this version.

If anyone notices other differences, let me know so I can add them to the list.

Top Bottom