• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Maybe they're under video on the xmb similar to other titles like Resistance 3...

Checked there as well. Nothing. No idea where it is. Might be a promo thing.

wouwie

ScOULaris said:
On the other hand, your experience might be sullied by unrealistic expectations. These two games' reputations precede them now, so I don't know what it will be like for people who are going to be playing them for the first time all these years later.

I never played them and they do seem my kind of game but the hype that has surrounded this game and the team who made it, make me cautious. Moreso since i played the Beyond Good & Evil HD remake for which i had equal amounts of hype (by reading here on gaf primarily) but which turned out to be somewhat of a dissapointment for me. Maybe that port wasn't good (i was constantly fighting the camera) or maybe the gameplay didn't age that well. Don't know.

I'm going to buy the ico collection either way but by reading so much about these games, it's almost impossible to go in without any expectations of hype. Somehow, i wish i could just go in without knowing anything about these games.

JumpingTheGun said:
Question: I work 50 hour weeks. Could it be possible to finish both games before Dark Souls and Rage release?
I don't think of either game as being particularly long, I say go for it.

Grisby

JumpingTheGun said:
Question: I work 50 hour weeks. Could it be possible to finish both games before Dark Souls and Rage release?

Yeah, ICO's shorter and if you don't explore SOTC its short too.

JumpingTheGun said:
Ico took me less than four hours to beat on my first playthrough. If you critical path Shadow, the game's only ten hours or so.

You should be fine.

JayDub

I know we "core" gamers bitch and whine about "giving our left nut"/"justtakemymoney.jpg" about HD remakes for certain games, and when given the fruit say/buy nothing. But this time..

Thank you, Sony.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
isn't one of the ICO trophies to beat it in 2 hrs?

i will never be able to do this. :(

Xun

Must get this sometime this year.

I never played through ICO and I'd love to play through SotC again and in HD!

I also just remembered The Last Guardian will still be coming out, since I literally did forget about the game completely due to the lack of news.

PooBone

TenshiOni said:
Ico took me less than four hours to beat on my first playthrough. If you critical path Shadow, the game's only ten hours or so.

You should be fine.

Wow. I remember it took me probably twice that. I think SOTC was about 10 hours for me, but I did quite a lot of exploring, and just sitting idle on Agro in a cave, a forest, near a stream, or on the Ico beach. Beautiful game, fantastic experience, and one of the most immersive worlds I've ever been to in a video game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Neuromancer said:
Yeah I can see it now

"Controls suck"

"Story sucks, nothing happens"

"There's like, no dialogue"

What's wrong with the controls?

ULTROS! said:
What's wrong with the controls?
You control the character who controls the horse, rather than controlling the horse directly maybe? It might frustrate some people, but Agro being a seperate entity really adds to the immersion.

Number45

OgTheClever said:
You control the character who controls the horse, rather than controlling the horse directly maybe? It might frustrate some people, but Agro being a seperate entity really adds to the immersion.
It feels fantastic once you understand what you're required to do - if memory serves (and it might not) though the game doesn't explain that very well, if at all.

Yeah, it's especially good when you figure out how to do special moves as well like a galloping start and an immediate stop. (These weren't even in the instruction booklet so it feels like a little easter egg once you master them)

Horns

I preordered my copy last week from Sony.com. My last Sony.com order (Infamous 2) arrived 2 days after release, any one else experience the same thing with ordering directly from Sony?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
wouwie said:
I never played them and they do seem my kind of game but the hype that has surrounded this game and the team who made it, make me cautious. Moreso since i played the Beyond Good & Evil HD remake for which i had equal amounts of hype (by reading here on gaf primarily) but which turned out to be somewhat of a dissapointment for me. Maybe that port wasn't good (i was constantly fighting the camera) or maybe the gameplay didn't age that well. Don't know.

I'm going to buy the ico collection either way but by reading so much about these games, it's almost impossible to go in without any expectations of hype. Somehow, i wish i could just go in without knowing anything about these games.
For what it's worth, I purchased Ico and PS2 thanks to some glowing hype about the game from several reviews I was reading, and I ended up loving the game and not regretting the console purchase. It was many years ago though, there was nothing like it at the time, and it's hard to say if it can have the same impact now, but I hope it will.

Oh and yeah, as someone who likes these two games, they are nothing like BG&E. Other than the colorful art and friendly atmosphere of that game, I too found it relatively average, even back then.

shawnlreed

Evolved1 said:

So, out of all the trophies for both games, this is the only one I am worried about.
Do speed run trophies like this require the game to be played in one sitting without saves?
If not, one could replay an area from your last save to trim down the time if mistakes are made, which would make the whole thing much less stressful.

Zwei

From that PS blog:

They openly discuss what it was like to make these games, difficulties and challenges they faced, and even the original US packaging for ICO.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear them explain this abomination.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hngrrrrr.... This game needs to come out now.

I want to buy GoW: Origins but with this coming out so soon, I'm getting indecisive (both or Ico Collection).

Evolved1 said:
Why on earth would you want to do this... ICO should be played in the exact opposite style to a speed run.

Trophies shouldn't encourage such behaviour :(

ULTROS!

By watching the trailer (and having never played these games at all), is it... Somewhat similar to a minimalistic Zelda game? It kinda looks like a 3D Nintendo/Zelda-ish game from the PSN trailers that I've seen. :p

Mzo

ULTROS! said:
By watching the trailer (and having never played these games at all), is it... Somewhat similar to a minimalistic Zelda game? It kinda looks like a 3D Nintendo/Zelda-ish game from the PSN trailers that I've seen. :p
Not even a tiny bit.

Think more Prince of Persia.

Salaadin

ULTROS! said:

The two get compared a lot but there really arent a ton of comparisons to make. They play and feel completely different from eachother
You do ride a horse in both games.

Evolved1

Pazuzu9 said:
Why on earth would you want to do this... ICO should be played in the exact opposite style to a speed run.

I agree with you 100%.

These speed run trophies are way too fucking popular in the HD remakes... they suck so much dick.

mattp

yeah sotc is nothing like zelda haha
both ico and sotc are verrry simple in their gameplay, but not in a bad way. they just focus one a few specific mechanics and nothing else

sotc you use the overworld map to ride your horse and find the next boss fight. you fight the boss. and start over again
thats it

but dont let that turn you off, it's fucking incredible

mattp

am i the only one who wishes they didn't write ico in all caps?
makes people think it's an acronym or for some reason seems to be part of the reason so many people pronounce it "eye co" instead of "eeco"

it's especially bad because usually you see ICO and SOTC, so of course ico looks like an acronym

yeah, i dont really know where i'm going with this, i guess i'm ocd about weird shit

GQman2121

Banned
So there's like little to no chance I can import the Collector's Edition right? I was trying weeks ago, but was unsuccessful.

Salaadin

mattp said:
yeah sotc is nothing like zelda haha
both ico and sotc are verrry simple in their gameplay, but not in a bad way. they just focus one a few specific mechanics and nothing else

sotc you use the overworld map to ride your horse and find the next boss fight. you fight the boss. and start over again
thats it

but dont let that turn you off, it's fucking incredible

Yeah, theyre very simple in the way they play but the way its presented is like nothing else.

Evolved1 said:
I agree with you 100%.

These speed run trophies are way too fucking popular in the HD remakes... they suck so much dick.

I think they exist for those of us that played the games already and want to trophy whore a little bit. Personally, I wont be doing that trophy right away. I played ICO a million times already but still want to re-experience it in HD nice and slow the first time. Same for SOTC. Speed runs will be done WAY later.

I do hope that it doesnt encourage newcomers to rush though because theyll lose a lot of the experience that way.

Evolved1

Salaadin said:
I think they exist for those of us that played the games already and want to trophy whore a little bit. Personally, I wont be doing that trophy right away. I played ICO a million times already but still want to re-experience it in HD nice and slow the first time. Same for SOTC. Speed runs will be done WAY later.

I do hope that it doesnt encourage newcomers to rush though because theyll lose a lot of the experience that way.

More of a pet peeve of mine. I just don't ever enjoy speed runs. I don't think they're fun. Trophies can add value to a game, imo, if they're fun. But speed runs aren't. They are like the opposite of what I enjoy about games. Especially these games!

SykoTech said:
They kind of make it seem like there won't be too much brand new footage of TLG to go around. :/

How did you come to that conclusion? Do you really expect them to show you the new footage in a preview video?

SykoTech

SolidSnakex said:
How did you come to that conclusion? Do you really expect them to show you the new footage in a preview video?

Not the preview, but the text makes it seem like it will mainly be about the team discussing stuff and showing concept art/prototypes. It's not until the very last sentance that they mention brand new footage. Part of me thinks that if there was lots of new footage they'd be emphasising it more.

I could just be reading into it too much (and I hope so).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zwei said:
Yeah, I can't wait to hear them explain this abomination.
Probably because they thought the game was a tough sell as it was, and it would sell better with a more realistic looking box art, even if it misrepresents what the game is really like.

yggdrasil

Pazuzu9 said:

I'm shocked at the amount of bitching over this trophy, especially when the game's design really shines in a speed run. If anything, this should reduce all the imminent newcomer bitching about how much combat sucks. Perhaps if they go for this trophy off the bat, they'll realize how useful Yorda's fry-everything-on-screen ability really is.

Dreweyes

Made this gif for a little project a month back, thought I'd leave it in here :)

OP9Sy.gif

Top Bottom