• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesquad

There are crazy people in this thread:) Yeah, if you go into Joe Danger expecting Trials you will be disappointed. Joe Danger is to Trials what Gripshift is to racing games. There are some vague similarities (in the console version at least), but it's mainly a fast-paced platformer. The better comparison is probably Rayman Jungle Run. Which everyone seemed to love:)

There are crazy people in this thread:) Yeah, if you go into Joe Danger expecting Trials you will be disappointed. Joe Danger is to Trials what Gripshift is to racing games. There are some vague similarities (in the console version at least), but it's mainly a fast-paced platformer. The better comparison is probably Rayman Jungle Run. Which everyone seemed to love:)

I'm blown away by the comments too. It's a solid, fun game. And yes-very similar to Rayman.

KooZac is the App of the Week, so is free. Or in time-honoured style, it's "free," and what they've actually done is just made it freemium. Oh, you so sneaky. It was a quite promising looking puzzle game from Square-Enix, but the app description now contains this line:

‘Like’ the KooZac Facebook page via the KooZac game and receive FREE COINS, spend them on boosts to super charge your scores.

Yay, pay for high scores! I'm pretty sure there's no worse thing they could have written in their description than that. If they'd put "this game was developed by Adolf Hitler and all proceeds will go to the Nazi party," I would still be more inclined to download it than I am right now.

What I've been playing recently:

1357887487.5485.iPicit.jpg
Feel free to hit me up with a letterpress invite!

That goes for the rest of you guys too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can anyone with the icade help me please? I set it up and it works fine on my iPad 2 and I do the same exact procedure on my brother in law's iPad 2 (only difference is it's not 3G and has more storage than mine) after disabling bluetooth etc on my own but the iCade won't function there. It asks for the password to pair it, I input it, it says it's connected just fine, but it's dead in every game. This sucks, I had to leave my iPad with them for now so they can play it until I find some way to get it to work. Does ION provide support? Their device was dropped once and has a mark on a corner but it doesn't have any issues and like I said in the settings screen it appears to sync just fine with the iCade. I don't understand why it won't work.

Anyone with the icade can help me please? I set it up and it works fine on my iPad and I do the same exact procedure on my brother in law's iPad after disabling bluetooth etc on my own but the icade won't function there. It asks for the password, I input it, it says connected, but it's dead in every game. This sucks, I had to leave my iPad with them for now until I find some way to get it to work. Does ION provide support?

On my Ipad 2 I had to switch the keyboard, in the iPad settings for keyboard select qwerty then lower down select international keyboards and pick u.s. international pc.

This fixed it for me.

I debated posting this, but what the hell.

Frequent lurker, rare poster. Anyway, I made a game for iOS. It's about a made-up sport called "Duck Hockey", where two people square off on opposite sides of a six-lane highway and try to keep a duck from going into a goal.

The game was made to look and sound like it could work on the Atari 2600. Though, I futzed with the resolution and made a couple graphical errors on the sprites. I accidentally put two colors on the same scanline, and some effects were added, so ... whatever. I'm over it.

So, it's the first game I've ever made and it's called "Fowl Ball", because the title was so horrible I couldn't turn it down. It's a one-screen arcade game, and it's available on the App Store.

If you'd like it, you can either a) send me a message, and I'll send you one of the promo codes I've got available (24 remaining for this version) or you could b) buy it for $0.99 on the App Store, and help a stranger out.

In any case, I'd love to hear your thoughts; good or bad. Like I said, it's not amazing. It's sort of like a transsexual hooker. Some people are into it.

Thanks, folks!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What's your GC nick?
chubigans. Add me! :)

It's a topsy turvy world, indeed.

Yeah I know, but what can I say. :p

I debated posting this, but what the hell.

Frequent lurker, rare poster. Anyway, I made a game for iOS. It's about a made-up sport called "Duck Hockey", where two people square off on opposite sides of a six-lane highway and try to keep a duck from going into a goal.

The game was made to look and sound like it could work on the Atari 2600. Though, I futzed with the resolution and made a couple graphical errors on the sprites. I accidentally put two colors on the same scanline, so ... whatever. I'm over it.

So, it's the first game I've ever made and it's called "Fowl Ball", because the title was so horrible I couldn't turn it down. It's a one-screen arcade game, and it's available on the App Store.

If you'd like it, you can either a) send me a message, and I'll send you one of the promo codes I've got available (24 remaining for this version) or you could b) buy it for $0.99 on the App Store, and help a stranger out.

I'll check it out tonight! I uh, don't know about that icon though. But it looks pretty neat.

I'll check it out tonight! I uh, don't know about that icon though. But it looks pretty neat.

Yeah, I suppose it could look like a white nipple. It's the duck sprite from the game. But. Anyway, thank you very much. I hope you like it. And please let me know what you think.

Also, I'm working on a fairly major update. It adds a better scoring system, difficulty settings, and a new game mode. Should be out within a month, I think.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I did as well, never messed with the option but it somehow fixed it for me after I did some google research on it and someone suggested it. Hope it helps
Thanks, the issue was that they had been typing in our language and hadn't switched it back. Stupid. Thank God it works though. iCade is awesome other than the issues I mentioned, can't wait for Jailbreaks to mame it up.

PFD

I highly doubt it, and even if they do release an ipad 5 this early, it can't be much faster than the current chip yet. Maybe it'll have 2GB RAM, and that's it. The rest would be external changes (new design, thinner, etc.)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I bet they will release next iPad in March, but it will be mostly a cosmetic upgrade to bring it in line with the mini design.

Heel

Joe Danger: Oh, there's a bubble floating where you click to jump? Well, you're gonna fucking die there again and again!

Heel

LiquidSketch is free at the moment.

Had it on my AppShopper from game of the year discussions on Touch Arcade and seems to be worth a look so far. Just give it a few levels to get going.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In any case, I'd love to hear your thoughts; good or bad.

I played it for a bit, and while I dislike games that go for a retro aesthetic while still having particle effects and such, it seemed to work ok here. It's a pretty simple game but as a first game it's pretty good!

Really though at the end of the day it is just pong with a smaller goal to protect, but you have the fundamentals down nicely. Looking forward to seeing your next game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the best Kairosoft games there?

I got Pocket Academy, Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village, and Gran Prix Story. I didn't like GPS that much.

Oh and the Soccer League Story game is a cross out, I don't find it interesting though.

GeekyDad

I got Pocket Academy, Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village, and Gran Prix Story. I didn't like GPS that much.

Oh and the Soccer League Story game is a cross out, I don't find it interesting though.

Sounds like you've already gotten the best ones. GDS and Dungeon Village are easily my favorites. I've tried quite a few of them now, and those two are the standouts for me.

muddream

Banned
How's Osmos on iPhone? I'm sure it's brilliant on the iPads, but I'm worried it might not feel right with my fingers taking up half of the screen real estate.

I loved Mega Mall Story

Purchased nba jam hd version and it runs like shit on my 4th gen iPad, like literally 15 fps it's unplayable.

The non-HD version of NBA Jam also runs like dog shit on iPhone 4S and up.
Pretty shitty of them to not support their titles at all, when plenty of indie developers do a fine job of it.

MarkusRJR

I'm thinking of purchasing an unlocked iPhone 4 or 4S for prepaid use. Do games not support the 4 now or should I be fine? I mainly want to use it for Chrono Trigger, Fruit Ninja, and a bunch of other random games. Also, I'm on 512mb per month which has served me well with my WP7 device but I heard iOS uses way more data than other OS's. Is this true?

The 4 is still supported. Most smaller games will work on it. It has the retina display and supports OpenGL ES 2.0.

I'd still go for the 4S if you can swing it.

The data should be okay if you do most of your work within WiFi. But if you use any streaming media, then I'd upgrade.

I'm thinking of purchasing an unlocked iPhone 4 or 4S for prepaid use. Do games not support the 4 now or should I be fine? I mainly want to use it for Chrono Trigger, Fruit Ninja, and a bunch of other random games. Also, I'm on 512mb per month which has served me well with my WP7 device but I heard iOS uses way more data than other OS's. Is this true?

4 will be supported for another good year+ yet, so many of them out there and still on contracts that you would be silly to release an app without 4 support.

As for data usage I can only go by what I use on my 5, back on my android I had a 1GB plan and most of the time never even used most of it, with my iphone I am on a 500 plan and today I used it all up but it was on purpose (twitch app and downloading from itunes) otherwise that data would have lasted no problem, web browsing hardly hits it.

Being on prepaid I have no idea how your internet is charged but you can turn 3G data off if you only plan to be on wifi where ever you go.

bonesquad

If you plan to keep this phone for more than six months there is no way you should get a 4. While games might support it, they will be like running games against the minimum requirements. It might run, but not very well. Get a 4S. And I don't think iOS fundamentally uses more data. Just that often the way iOS users use their phone so much means they use more data. You should be fine.

There are already games that don't run on the 4. It depends a huge amount on the stuff you want to play, though, if Fruit Ninja and old RPG ports are the height of your ambition then you'll be fine, but if you want to play stuff like the new iOS RPGs that Square-Enix tend to put out, or any graphical powerhouses at all, then get a 4S.

PFD

LiquidSketch is free at the moment.

Had it on my AppShopper from game of the year discussions on Touch Arcade and seems to be worth a look so far. Just give it a few levels to get going.

Got this when it came out last year. It is indeed awesome, some of the later levels are serious head scratchers.

muddream

Banned

Get the 4S if it's a lot cheaper than an unlocked 5 in your country, but don't buy an iPhone 4 in 2013. The amount of money you save now will be missing once you get back from selling it on eBay in a few years and you'll spend those years with a device that's being fully supported instead of a headache.

I use up around 100mb per month because I mainly limit myself to whatsapp, gmaps and wikipedia whenever I'm not connected to Wi-Fi.

Zeth

Grand Prix Story is the only one I've played for more than an hour and I loved it. Probably means I should check more of them out. Mega Mall Story probably.

The non-HD version of NBA Jam also runs like dog shit on iPhone 4S and up.
Pretty shitty of them to not support their titles at all, when plenty of indie developers do a fine job of it.

I don't get why apple doesn't step up and do something about shit like this, maybe pull it from the store and send a message to EA and other developers who don't support updates for new hardware.

MarkusRJR

The 4 is still supported. Most smaller games will work on it. It has the retina display and supports OpenGL ES 2.0.

I'd still go for the 4S if you can swing it.

The data should be okay if you do most of your work within WiFi. But if you use any streaming media, then I'd upgrade.

4 will be supported for another good year+ yet, so many of them out there and still on contracts that you would be silly to release an app without 4 support.

As for data usage I can only go by what I use on my 5, back on my android I had a 1GB plan and most of the time never even used most of it, with my iphone I am on a 500 plan and today I used it all up but it was on purpose (twitch app and downloading from itunes) otherwise that data would have lasted no problem, web browsing hardly hits it.

Being on prepaid I have no idea how your internet is charged but you can turn 3G data off if you only plan to be on wifi where ever you go.

If you plan to keep this phone for more than six months there is no way you should get a 4. While games might support it, they will be like running games against the minimum requirements. It might run, but not very well. Get a 4S. And I don't think iOS fundamentally uses more data. Just that often the way iOS users use their phone so much means they use more data. You should be fine.

There are already games that don't run on the 4. It depends a huge amount on the stuff you want to play, though, if Fruit Ninja and old RPG ports are the height of your ambition then you'll be fine, but if you want to play stuff like the new iOS RPGs that Square-Enix tend to put out, or any graphical powerhouses at all, then get a 4S.

Get the 4S if it's a lot cheaper than an unlocked 5 in your country, but don't buy an iPhone 4 in 2013. The amount of money you save now will be missing once you get back from selling it on eBay in a few years and you'll spend those years with a device that's being fully supported instead of a headache.

I use up around 100mb per month because I mainly limit myself to whatsapp, gmaps and wikipedia whenever I'm not connected to Wi-Fi.
Okay, guess I'll either save up for an iPhone 4S or buy a SG3 (they're the same price; iPhone unlocked and SG3 locked). Sucks that Apple charges so much for their old outdated phones.

PFD

Okay, guess I'll either save up for an iPhone 4S or buy a SG3 (they're the same price; iPhone unlocked and SG3 locked). Sucks that Apple charges so much for their old outdated phones.

The 4S is still a pretty good phone, though. I wouldn't call it outdated just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom