• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Into iTunes itself, alternatively copy the apps to the mobile applications folder on your hard drive then drag them into iTunes.

It should, if manage my media/library is enabled, mine does. Nontheless it should be fairly easy to remove the dupes from the mobile apps folder after the fact anyway.

I did an update on my main computer's library.. and it seems like it went ahead and downloaded all the new apps as well. so I didn't have to do any copying and etc

bonesquad

Joe Danger is awesome-highest recommendation, and tons of polish. Wish I was playing it right now!

Joe Danger Touch is good. I loved the game on PSN, and while I don't think this version is nearly as great, it's worthy of the Joe Danger name. My favorite part of Joe Danger (PSN) was the trials like platforming. There are targets in JDT you need to land on, but it's not the same when you are just timing your tap to land.

My only real issues with JD Touch are 1) Too much reliance on touching. So much unnecessary touching. I guess that's why it's in the name. 2) Needing certain outfits to play certain stages. Outfits you buy with coins you earn, or buy with IAP. 3) Every time you get a Pro Medal it asks if you want to challenge your friends. No I fucking don't! Worse, it tries to bribe you to do so by offering coins...

Still, JD Touch comes recommended.

Edit: An update was released that supposedly fixes the iPad 4 issues. I don't have such a device to confirm though.

Joe Danger Touch is good. I loved the game on PSN, and while I don't think this version is nearly as great, it's worthy of the Joe Danger name. My favorite part of Joe Danger (PSN) was the trials like platforming. There are targets in JDT you need to land on, but it's not the same when you are just timing your tap to land.

My only real issues with JD Touch are 1) Too much reliance on touching. So much unnecessary touching. I guess that's why it's in the name. 2) Needing certain outfits to play certain stages. Outfits you buy with coins you earn, or buy with IAP. 3) Every time you get a Pro Medal it asks if you want to challenge your friends. No I fucking don't! Worse, it tries to bribe you to do so by offering coins...

Still, JD Touch comes recommended.

Edit: An update was released that supposedly fixes the iPad 4 issues. I don't have such a device to confirm though.

All valid points and criticisms. The costume thing does give you incentive to play a lot to unlock new costumes though. Some of these levels are tough!

bonesquad

All valid points and criticisms. The costume thing does give you incentive to play a lot to unlock new costumes though. Some of these levels are tough!

The costumes are fine, but they should be optional. It's not like they give you a special ability (they just change your score with combs, coins). Plus I'd probably want to unlock them all anyway.

What is that clock ticking sound that sometimes plays? I can't figure out what it means, other than annoying the hell out of me:)

Yea, I didn't know know either. Gonna pick it up tonight assuming its reasonably priced.

It's $3 USD. Get it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

bonesquad

I was wondering that too. Also the little round face that you can sometimes collect on a level-is there one on each level?

I want to say no because that seems impossible, but when I went back to replay a few levels already I found a few I missed... I also then noticed that for the 'bonus' levels the costume you need changes each attempt. Bah!

Edit: I just noticed that on the tour select screen it says that I have 20/50 hellogames icons. So it looks like that every level but maybe the bonus levels does have one...

//B1G

Banned
What I've been playing recently:

1357887487.5485.iPicit.jpg

It's Trials HD but wacky and cartoon. I dunno where he gets the Mario and Sonic from LOL.

It's basically nothing like Trials Hd at all. The only way you can genuinely say that is if you haven't played one or the other. It's 2D and there's a motorbike but there are literally no similarities in gameplay at all. Sonic is a far better comparison.

heringer

I HATE how Joe Danger keeps holding your hand through the whole game, like I'm some sort of idiot. Do I really need to have control taken out of my hand to show me what's the next level every time I finish a stage? Just let me freely play your game ffs.

And will you shut up about sharing medals with my friends already? Geesh

Good news friends, Ravenmark has been updated with its final campaign (at least I presume it is the final campaign,) I've only just scratched the surface but the first battle is pretty damn terrifying in scale. Looking forward to digging into that.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I've found Joe Danger to be kind of boring. And I'm starting to get sick of the whole 'buy new costumes with coins' kind of stuff in games. I think Bike Baron is a lot more fun.

Ranger X

It's basically nothing like Trials Hd at all. The only way you can genuinely say that is if you haven't played one or the other. It's 2D and there's a motorbike but there are literally no similarities in gameplay at all. Sonic is a far better comparison.

I'd say Excite Bike and Trials HD mix in fact.
I played all of them. I just don't see why "Sonic", the game is not even near a platformer. To me it's like saying a FPS is a platformer because there's a jump and that Stunts is a Sonic game because you speed and there are loops. Doesn't work like that really.

I've found Joe Danger to be kind of boring. And I'm starting to get sick of the whole 'buy new costumes with coins' kind of stuff in games. I think Bike Baron is a lot more fun.

Ditto for me too. I loved Joe Danger for the consoles but the cutbacks they've had to make to make it work on the iPod just make the gameplay immensely dull and level design uninspired.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, I'm only a little bit in but I'm not feeling Joe Danger that much either. These simple one-touch games are a hard balancing act - this one feels both too simple and too cluttered. But the real issue is that it doesn't have the same feel of challenge and skill that Trials, MotoHeroes or Bike Baron have.

Cheech

I hated Joe Danger even on consoles. The Sony people pushed that game so hard and I bought it on hype. I'm not sure I even have a half hour into it. I'd kill for a good Trials HD on iOS.

colinp

Banned
Anyone playing Time Surfer? Worth picking up? I got burned on Whale Trail so I'm holding back unless its REALLY good.

I'd say Excite Bike and Trials HD mix in fact.
I played all of them. I just don't see why "Sonic", the game is not even near a platformer. To me it's like saying a FPS is a platformer because there's a jump and that Stunts is a Sonic game because you speed and there are loops. Doesn't work like that really.

Where exactly is the gameplay itself similar to Trials, in anything but the vaguest possible way?

wilflare

alright my long time BB has decided to stop working, any comments on the iPhone 5? (there's a stronger inclination towards the Note II and keep the iPad 2 for all iOS gaming)

Last week I somehow stumbled on a game I used to have on my iPod back in 2009.
rRootage is a vertical bullet hell - controls perfectly, is challenging and really the most fun I've had with a touchscreen game. Also it includes four different ship modes (including Ikaruga) and a ton of levels.

I implore you to give it a shot. After all it's free and lightweight.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
iCade finally arrived, I've assembled it and tried it. It's as cool as I hoped, except the build quality outside the inputs area, basically the actual cabinet, isn't actually all that great. Mostly the side parts, it's like condensed paper or something, I got some marks on it while screwing things in and a little damage where the top lid fits in the side piece with the metal bits. Thankfully it's not at all visible in regular use from any angle and it's not something you'd constantly move up and down to risk making it worse but yeah, be more careful than I was when you assemble yours, do not force anything in. Other than that, it's also definitely as loud as people say, but playing Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy and even Pac-Man is pure awesome. It's very responsive and feels good. The buttons are perhaps a tiny bit stiff but I imagine they'll normalize with use. Now I'm waiting for my brother in law to bring me their iPad 2 after deleting any apps they no longer will be using so that I can sync it with my PC and transfer the iCade games over and then bring it back to them with the cab to finally see their gift ready to be played. One real annoyance is that none of the games I've tried so far have key configuration options, you can only use the defaults and they tend to use the first couple buttons a lot, it would be more comfortable if they mostly used the black buttons instead, and only required the rest when/if any game actually needs more than four buttons, which I don't think any even do officially yet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
iCade finally arrived, I've assembled it and tried it. It's as cool as I hoped, except the build quality outside the inputs area, basically the actual cabinet, isn't actually all that great. Mostly the side parts, it's like condensed paper or something, I got some marks on it while screwing things in and a little damage where the top lid fits in the side piece with the metal bits. Thankfully it's not at all visible in regular use from any angle and it's not something you'd constantly move up and down to risk making it worse but yeah, be more careful than I was when you assemble yours, do not force anything in. Other than that, it's also definitely as loud as people say, but playing Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy and even Pac-Man is pure awesome. It's very responsive and feels good. The buttons are perhaps a tiny bit stiff but I imagine they'll normalize with use. Now I'm waiting for my brother in law to bring me their iPad 2 after deleting any apps they no longer will be using so that I can sync it with my PC and transfer the iCade games over and then bring it back to them with the cab to finally see their gift ready to be played. One real annoyance is that none of the games I've tried so far have key configuration options, you can only use the defaults and they tend to use the first couple buttons a lot, it would be more comfortable if they mostly used the black buttons instead, and only required the rest when/if any game actually needs more than four buttons, which I don't think any even do officially yet.

Do you have iMAME to go with it. Killer app. Ms Pac Man is the shit.

GeekyDad

I hated Joe Danger even on consoles. The Sony people pushed that game so hard and I bought it on hype. I'm not sure I even have a half hour into it. I'd kill for a good Trials HD on iOS.

it's got a bike mothafucka, what else do you need??

Joe Danger is nothing like Trials, it's more like a touch based platformer.

Yeah, I think those folks who were expecting something along those lines were setting themselves up for disappointment. I loved it when it hit PSN -- spent hours and hours with it. I do want to try this, since it sounds like it plays a little different, but I'll wait 'til it's a buck.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do you have iMAME to go with it. Killer app. Ms Pac Man is the shit.
Nope, I deleted the release that got on the App Store so I'm waiting for the next jailbreak to get that stuff. I got Pac-Man from the dodgy NamcoArcade, I unlocked three games in it, Pac-Man, Galaga and Rolling Thunder. But I got enough other good games to tide them over until I can iMAME it up. Metal Slug 3, Raiden Legacy, Dynamite Jack, HungryMaster, League of Evil, Velocispider, Forget Me Not, Gunman Clive, Paper Monsters, etc, etc. I'll definitely replace the Namco Arcade games with the iMAME versions once I can because the official app's interface is shitty, it doesn't have portrait mode, etc.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Oh man, word on the street (twitter) is that the Clash of Heroes port is not good :(

It's pretty terrible. The game just crashed on me and now it's stuck on the splash screen. The only way to bypass it is to delete the game and start again.

I really hope Ubisoft gets a patch out before launch...

PittaGAF

It's pretty terrible. The game just crashed on me and now it's stuck on the splash screen. The only way to bypass it is to delete the game and start again.

I really hope Ubisoft gets a patch out before launch...

I suppose you are a tester...can you talk about it a bit more?
It's 'terrible' because you actually (due to the crash) didn't even saw the game or you actually managed to play and there are other problems?

Ranger X

Where exactly is the gameplay itself similar to Trials, in anything but the vaguest possible way?

While not pushed to the extreme like in Trials, it's the same camera style, you're on a bike, its a physics sort of racer, etc. I see it in the same style. Trials is just more realistic looking and the physic side is more develloped.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I suppose you are a tester...can you talk about it a bit more?
It's 'terrible' because you actually (due to the crash) didn't even saw the game or you actually managed to play and there are other problems?

I'm reviewing it.

I got quite a ways in - it's a fantastic game, when the touch issues and graphical glitches are not being a nuisance - but then the game froze up. I force quit the app, and now when I load up I get stuck on this screen.

It's completely unresponsive. I've told the guys at Ubisoft, and I really hope they're working on a day 1 update. Because right now this is absolutely broken.

I'm so tired of waiting for Pheonix Wright 123HD. So ready for a replay of the series, what's the holdup?

I'd hope they were taking the time to make it not janky as hell, but this is Capcom we're talking about here.

I tried the JP version a while back and it wasn't an enjoyable experience at all. Having the backgrounds at higher resolution is nice but the foreground graphics looked beyond terrible and the interface was slow and clunky.

While not pushed to the extreme like in Trials, it's the same camera style, you're on a bike, its a physics sort of racer, etc. I see it in the same style. Trials is just more realistic looking and the physic side is more develloped.

I said aside from the vaguest possible way. So what you've got is it's exactly the same as Trials because it's a 2D game with a motorbike in it. That's absurd. Mirror's Edge and Oblivion both have the same camera angle as well and they both contain, I don't know, women. Or bad guys. Does that mean they're basically the same?

There are no real physics in Joe Danger, you can move forwards and backwards in the air! It's a platformer where your goal is to collect stuff on the way to the end of the level, which is much more like Mario or Sonic. Your goal in Trials is to exploit the physics for faster times and to stay on your bike. They play literally nothing alike at all and your goals in each aren't even close to similar. I can't believe you'd even think for a second that they were alike if you've genuinely played both.

Gaaraz

Not sure why there's so much hype for the Phoenix Wright games... from the artwork I've seen, it looks so much worse than the original DS titles :(

Yottamole

Banned
Not sure why there's so much hype for the Phoenix Wright games... from the artwork I've seen, it looks so much worse than the original DS titles :(
The originals were GBA titles.

Also regarding the graphics:
So... you are still saying they traced the original sprites. o_O

Anyway, here's a quick comparison of the Maya screenshot with the artwork from the artbook.
iuuZ3GAwPEnWE.jpg

Edit:
I made the artbook artwork transparent and put it over the new sprite.
icXwGJtDKwUjq.png

Seems to be pretty 1:1 to me.

And here's the original sprite upscaled.
ifujXVaQoP7Q9.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ohh can't wait to replay the brilliant PW series. long since sold my DS.

i bought the journey down: chapter 1 - loved it. can't wait for more.

bought the last express - visually and audibly stunning, but the nonlinearity of it all left me feeling kinda lost. i may give it another shot, though.

bought broken sword - can't wait to play this, i feel like i've been hearing about the game forever.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I agree with the comments on Joe Danger. It's just not quite grabbing me.

Also, Clash of Clans is seriously addictive. Flunkie, why does your clan have such a high trophy requirement. :( I'll be eligible someday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom