• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, Joe Danger is pretty ok. Dunno if I like it better than the PS3 version though, but so far it's kind of a slow burn.

Also it's a real shame there's already people with 10 million coins on the Coin leaderboards...how could they hack something so quickly? Unless it's a game glitch...

fantasy adventure is pretty great battleheart clone thats freemium... but don't think the iap is needed so far.

Zenonia 5 looks gorgeous, seems to be pretty standard stuff though, hope baseball superstars comes out soon.

Adam J.

Joe Danger is fabulous. I'm amazed at how well they captured the controls of the console original with just the flick of a finger. Graphics are gorgeous too. As a long time JD fan I'm very pleased.

PittaGAF

I picked up Battle of the Bulge and it's good fun. I lost my first Meuse battle and then got a draw on my second. Crazy short but it was really interesting. I guess the Battle of the Bulge map is longer...?

Well, the full campaign is certainly longer (and plays very differently to win)...depending on how good you are, how the game goes and how good is your opponent (including AI) it could take up to 4-5 hours for a single game (it really depends if you achieve a fast victory or you struggle till end of December 44).
Some games are fast, some games are way longer.
For comparison the short campaign against AI takes me about 20-30 minutes to complete generally....sometimes I'm done in 10 minutes.
The full campaign against AI generally takes me about 1-2 hours...if AI is hard it's easily 3-4.
Consider that no two games are equal...it's like chess or soccer...same rules, same people, same field...but it's always different.
Playing as Allies takes generally much ore time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
thanks! I lost track of my new apps so I was hoping to just copy everything over... but not sure if iTunes would automatically filter existing apps or something.

To drag.. do I just copy from my external to the iTunes Library folder.. or the iTunes Library (in the actual iTunes Library itself)
Into iTunes itself, alternatively copy the apps to the mobile applications folder on your hard drive then drag them into iTunes.
will iTunes automatically remove the old versions of the app too?
It should, if manage my media/library is enabled, mine does. Nontheless it should be fairly easy to remove the dupes from the mobile apps folder after the fact anyway.

colinp

Banned
Well, the full campaign is certainly longer (and plays very differently to win)...depending on how good you are, how the game goes and how good is your opponent (including AI) it could take up to 4-5 hours for a single game (it really depends if you achieve a fast victory or you struggle till end of December 44).
Some games are fast, some games are way longer.
For comparison the short campaign against AI takes me about 20-30 minutes to complete generally....sometimes I'm done in 10 minutes.
The full campaign against AI generally takes me about 1-2 hours...if AI is hard it's easily 3-4.
Consider that no two games are equal...it's like chess or soccer...same rules, same people, same field...but it's always different.
Playing as Allies takes generally much ore time.

Great! That's what I wanted to hear =)

CoLaN

Damn. Joe Danger doesn't work on iPad 4 at the moment, the game just wont start (on mine it just minimizes when the Hello Games logo appears).

The guys working on it said that they are testing a fix, and will send the update to Apple as soon as possible (probably today).

I havn't followed this thread for a couple of pages now, but I was curious if freeappslots has stopped adding new apps for anyone else?

I used to have AT LEAST 3 - 4 new apps a day, however now I'm lucky if its one or two new ones a week. Is there something going on with it? Should I cash out now before it collapses or what?

Anyone know whats going on?

gazele

Banned
I havn't followed this thread for a couple of pages now, but I was curious if freeappslots has stopped adding new apps for anyone else?

I used to have AT LEAST 3 - 4 new apps a day, however now I'm lucky if its one or two new ones a week. Is there something going on with it? Should I cash out now before it collapses or what?

Definitely seems to have dropped off,
Might not be a bad idea to cash out if you have a lot of points in it

Flim Flam

Neo Member

In that same line, has anyone else noticed that FreeMyApps has dried up? I used to be able to count on 1000+ points a week from them; yet it seems like they haven't released more than 1-2 apps since the new year.

Up to the last few levels in Hundreds and it's getting pretty cheap now in a "this isn't actually fun any more" kind of way. I don't regret paying £2 for it but it's not as good as people have been saying it was. There's a hell of a lot of levels that come down to luck more than finding a solution, and they tend to disappoint. When the levels work, they're brilliant - basically every level where stuff isn't moving around at random. It does feel like there wasn't quite enough of an idea here to sustain a whole hundred levels of puzzles so there's a lot of fluff.

Cyphers might be fun, though, even if their presentation is totally shit, and
the endless mode you unlock later is actually ace, it feels like the way the game was meant to be played.

yogloo

Kingdom rush is friggin amazing. Tough as nails but loads of fun. It's going to take a long while to earn all the stars.

kennah

I'm having the hardest time with this huge Yeti that freezes your buildings. It didn't seem too tough until this.

Fully upgraded Bombadier towers. The missile makes a huge difference. Also keep feeding him your reinforcements in strategic places.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The game doesn't work too great even on my iPad mini, as far as game mechanics go. It's too easy to miss hitting bonus letters and stuff.

I bet playing on my Touch will be a much better experience.

That's a pretty big cock up. Bet they get heaps of negative reviews.

If you look at the forum thread for it on TA, the first thing you see in Big Bold Letters is a warning not to buy it for iPad:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173696

Updates from the developer:

Hello (from Hello Games),
Just wanted to let you know what's going on with some folks and the iPad4.

Sorry we haven’t replied sooner, we couldn’t sleep last night ‘til we had found a fix (we have one now).

From the reports we were getting, it looks like it’s not happening on all iPad4’s, but it’s definitely happening on some. All other devices and iPads are 100% working.

If people are having this problem, I’d still love them to mail support@hellogames.co.uk with their details (iOS version, whether they use Gamecenter, language/store region, Wifi/3G etc.). We’ll keep them up to date.

We got one report of the crash yesterday during the day (we had some more last night as the game is becoming really popular), me and Stevie (the two developers) stayed all last night until we found a fix. We fixed it very late last night, and we’ll submit that to Apple immediately after its gone through further testing here today.

Thanks for your support and patience. The toucharcade community has been amazing. Really incredible to see so many positive comments.

We’re super sorry it’s happened for some people. We want everyone to be able to play as much as they do.

Thanks,
Sean and Stevie!

I'm almost done with Where's My Water?, I hadn't done the levels with the water change and mud, completed Cranky and Mystery Duck. Well worth the money.

The game doesn't work too great even on my iPad mini, as far as game mechanics go. It's too easy to miss hitting bonus letters and stuff.

Doesn't work as in performance wise? Or just the nature of the controls?

okno

My first ever game was released today for iPad, Goblin Groove!

So, to celebrate, I have a few promo codes if anyone is interested:

Here's the appstore link and a video:

All are taken, but the first code gives me a "this code is not valid" message. Just saying...

Shearie

Joe Danger works great for me on my Mini and I don't have freakishly long thumbs or anything.

I never played JD The Movie since I don't play console games anymore (at least until GTAV comes out) but this game is every bit as good, if not better, than the original JD which I loved but with a completely different control scheme that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom