• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IPhone 4s is 99 bucks and not even a year and a half old...but it's expensive and outdated??

By the way-anyone else miss Wario? I guess it really was a permaban. Insane!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
IPhone 4s is 99 bucks and not even a year and a half old...but it's expensive and outdated??

Nirolak checked and it was a 2 week ban, so still half a week to go more or less.

hayguyz

Banned
I'm having a problem with Where's my Water? if anyone could offer advice.

A while back I bought both Cranky's Story as well as Mystery Duck. I've started playing this again and in Mystery Duck and am up to about the 6th area "Boiling Point". I have 104 ducks (cleared 1 through 5 and some from the weekly levels as well). I finished the first level 6-1 and now it asks me to buy Mystery Duck to get all of the levels.

But I've already bought it and have played through the first 5 areas already? I don't understand what's happening.

smr00

Banned

With 2 year contract? If so that is how all the iphones work.. 1-1 and a half years after release they from to $199(w/ 2yr contract) to $99 w/ 2yr contract.

If without a contract, where the fuck do i buy it because everyone is still selling a non-contract iPhone4S for $299 without a contract and that is just a 8gb model, $399 for 16gb.

Never understood why people flip out over 2 year contracts, but maybe that's because i've been on AT&T for the past decade.

do people really switch carriers that often?

xJavonta

Banned
Never understood why people flip out over 2 year contracts, but maybe that's because i've been on AT&T for the past decade.

I'm 19, and I don't want to fuck my credit up so I'm not on a contract. My parents hate them though, because financial situations change and if you all of a sudden can't afford to keep paying $200+ a month for phones, contracts suck. So yeah, we switch carriers often. I had like 4 carriers in 2012 alone.

Psy-Phi

Asking a favor of GAFers that like that game Helsing's Fire? I decided to reinstall it on my iPad 3rd gen (Jailbroken 5.1.1), HD version, it plays fine but I can't log-in to Crystal. Every time I try to enter any text in the user/pass field it crashes the app.

So I tried to reinstall the Phone version on my iPhone5 (Official 6.0.2), and am having the same issue. I half-hoped it would be due to the Jailbreak. And I'm wondering if by some bizarre chance it's only affecting the two models I happen to have. Crystal should still have some record of my play through before, and I'd like to attribute any of the puzzles completed from the bounty board to my account. Otherwise, it's still playable, just having trouble with Crystal.

I'm 19, and I don't want to fuck my credit up so I'm not on a contract. My parents hate them though, because financial situations change and if you all of a sudden can't afford to keep paying $200+ a month for phones, contracts suck. So yeah, we switch carriers often. I had like 4 carriers in 2012 alone.

I understand where you're coming from, but I did just learn that you can put accounts on hold, if such a situation arises (it's normally used for people who may travel abroad for lengthy periods of time). This allows you to postpone your responsibility to them, and pick up where the contract left off when you resume. Pretty sweet, and does take away that fear. I still hate contracts though for the fact that it even makes this a hassle in the first place, and the industry would be much more consumer friendly if there were not contracts. People could hop freely to the best prices every month if they wanted, and it would serve to drive prices down.

We can of course do this with the month-to-month providers, but they're renting service from the big ones, and the 'best' phones are historically on the month-to-month under contract only or locked to their service.

With 2 year contract? If so that is how all the iphones work.. 1-1 and a half years after release they from to $199(w/ 2yr contract) to $99 w/ 2yr contract.

If without a contract, where the fuck do i buy it because everyone is still selling a non-contract iPhone4S for $299 without a contract and that is just a 8gb model, $399 for 16gb.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/apple-discounts-iphone-4s-$99/

What?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm having a problem with Where's my Water? if anyone could offer advice.

A while back I bought both Cranky's Story as well as Mystery Duck. I've started playing this again and in Mystery Duck and am up to about the 6th area "Boiling Point". I have 104 ducks (cleared 1 through 5 and some from the weekly levels as well). I finished the first level 6-1 and now it asks me to buy Mystery Duck to get all of the levels.

But I've already bought it and have played through the first 5 areas already? I don't understand what's happening.
Can't see why that would be happening, maybe kill and reopen the app, or try to restore purchases in the settings menu if that doesn't work.

GWX

Seems like Joe Danger now works on fourth generation iPads with the newest update. I'm going to buy it right now!

edit: OP, update that info ;)

dwebo

LiquidSketch is free at the moment.

Had it on my AppShopper from game of the year discussions on Touch Arcade and seems to be worth a look so far. Just give it a few levels to get going.

I haven't played much where's my water or other fluid-moving games, so this was probably more novel to me than most

that said, been having a pretty fantastic time with it so far. really pretty to look at, as well

I need to spend some more time with Joe Danger, but it runs like ass on my iPhone 4. Guess I'll just play it on my iPad, but having it in my pocket seems so appealing.

Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Sprint, and now Straight Talk.

I'm not concerned with who in as far as why. Seems like a hassle.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, what a whole bunch of crap You Don't Know Jack for iOS turned out to be. I downloaded it hoping to play some two player local co-op, and nothing. Not only that, but it's riddled with Facebook integration. Gah.

What a shame.

PFD

My bro has been with AT&T for like 6 years. He just moved to Canada, and is now unable to use his 4S because his contract ends in 2014. They refused to unlock it.

Yea, fuck contracts.

Tried The Room for the first time. Had a blast on that first level. Should I get the whole game or wait for some sort of sale? What's your take on The Room, GAF?

The Room is fantastic, well worth the price. It isn't the longest game in the world, but just tinkering with the box is super therapeutic and watching it slowly get crazier and crazier.

Man, what a whole bunch of crap You Don't Know Jack for iOS turned out to be. I downloaded it hoping to play some two player local co-op, and nothing. Not only that, but it's riddled with Facebook integration. Gah.

What a shame.

Yeah, considering how YDKJ started life, this is quite a few steps back. Especially if you're not American.

Tried The Room for the first time. Had a blast on that first level. Should I get the whole game or wait for some sort of sale? What's your take on The Room, GAF?

Just purchased the room, feels like I'm in the room trying to decipher and unlock these crazy box contraptions, good stuff.

pubba

I'm one of the sad sacks who have been playing Simpsons: Tapped out since it launched last year and even spent money buying donuts (the in game currency).

I was at level 24 - the highest level possible before the recent update. Seriously, I was addicted to this shit. My iPad had basically become my tapped out device. I played it obsessively.

Then last week I logged on and the game played the opening cut scene. I quickly quit out of the game, reset the app and loaded it again. Nope - my game had been reset!

I emailed EA support and this was their response..

Greetings James,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts again and for providing the requested information.

I have checked your account and found that your account is working fine from our end. After investigating the issue further, I got to know that our engineers are aware of the issue where-in our player's game level got reset and are working diligently towards a solution. I genuinely apologize for the trouble and inconvenience you have been going through.

These issues require extensive research and hence lot of time is required. As of now, it would be hard to commit a time frame. However, I assure that once we are ready with a fix, we will not have issues like these bothering our game play experience.

I once again apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your co-operation in this matter.

If you have any other queries or concerns, please feel free to email us or visit our extensive knowledge base at http://help.ea.com.

Regards,
Prabhat
Electronic Arts – World Wide Customer Experience

Wtf? So that's it? I've just thrown away $20 and hours and hours of gameplay? Bah! I replied and asked if they could rollback my account to maybe a week earlier. I don't mind losing a week or so. The reply came back fairly fast..

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts again and for your co-operation while we are working on a fix to the issue.

Had it been possible for us to restore the level from our end, I would have gladly done that for you. I am afraid as it is not possible for us to restore the level from our end. As a support staff we do have our limitations and I hope you understand.

In fact, you will be happy to know that a fix is expected anytime soon. Be assured, once we are ready with a fix, we will not have issues like these bothering our game play experience.

I once again apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your co-operation in this matter.

I then asked for a refund and the reply came back within minutes..

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts again.

I genuinely apologize for the trouble and inconvenience you have been going through with The Simpsons: Tapped Out. We want to get you an effective resolution and for this I am going to escalate this issue to higher department. Our senior team is well equipped to handle such issues and I’m confident we’ll solve the issue or suggest alternatives.

Due to a back log of contacts, the current estimated time for response is 1 – 2 weeks. We apologize for the lengthy response time, and we are working diligently to return to an acceptable level of response time. During this time, you may still update your case with additional information that might help us to resolve your issue without causing any additional delay.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation. Please be assured that your concern is our priority.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dungelot seems pretty fun from about an hour of playing, it's like a cross between minesweeper, a slot machine, a roguelike, and an rpg. You get a board of squares, and tap them until find a key to reach the next level, or uncover too many enemies. You don't have to fight the enemies when you find them (sometimes it's better to skip fighting them entirely and just go to the next level if you can), but they block all the squares they're next to until you kill them. There's a lot of power ups scattered under the squares as well to find to make you stronger. After you die, you keep your gold and can use it to buy power-ups to help you get deeper. Upon reaching certain floors you unlock additional classes. There's a lot of other little misc things to stumble on (helpers, bonus rooms, special challenges, etc), and there's something fresh about the whole minesweeper style aspect to it. Worth checking out if you're looking for something new to kill time with.

Looks like they have a flash demo too and a lite version. Reading the manual takes 5 seconds and gives 150 gold, so it's worth the few clicks too.

MarkusRJR

I'm buying it off contract (as I said I'm using it for prepaid) so it costs $550 + tax. I can buy the latest android/WP8 devices for that price. Considering the iPhone 4S is an older model and only has 16gb internal storage and no way to expand it it's a turn off. Compared to what else I can buy it is expensive and outdated. The only reason I'm considering it is for the iOS exclusive games/apps.

And Wario got permabanned? How? :eek:

Enscripted is free, it's the best word game on iOS, I've played it almost every single day for an entire year.

If you have ever liked a movie, don't miss it

tops2

Neo Member
Dungelot seems pretty fun from about an hour of playing, it's like a cross between minesweeper, a slot machine, a roguelike, and an rpg. You get a board of squares, and tap them until find a key to reach the next level, or uncover too many enemies. You don't have to fight the enemies when you find them (sometimes it's better to skip fighting them entirely and just go to the next level if you can), but they block all the squares they're next to until you kill them. There's a lot of power ups scattered under the squares as well to find to make you stronger. After you die, you keep your gold and can use it to buy power-ups to help you get deeper. Upon reaching certain floors you unlock additional classes. There's a lot of other little misc things to stumble on (helpers, bonus rooms, special challenges, etc), and there's something fresh about the whole minesweeper style aspect to it. Worth checking out if you're looking for something new to kill time with.

Looks like they have a flash demo too and a lite version. Reading the manual takes 5 seconds and gives 150 gold, so it's worth the few clicks too.

Was just about to post this right now since it doesn't seem like its mentioned before. Pretty dang fun. Much like puzzle/rogue likes, the main draw is to go down further and further. Every few levels uncovers new enemies, even at really deep levels.

I started off by killing everything. Now I can make it further by playing carefully and not killing everything.

The main negative now is no mid game autosave after multitasking back grounding the game. But that doesn't detract from still a fun game.

Zeth

Enscripted is free, it's the best word game on iOS, I've played it almost every single day for an entire year.

If you have ever liked a movie, don't miss it

Thanks for the heads up. Solved a couple and I'm hooked. It's too bad you can only see a few past puzzles. With a new download at least.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Thanks for posting this! Looks really great. I love stuff like this.

Downloading Clash of Clans now! I find the art style endearing, and I love the premise.

It's a slow burn at first but it's quite addicting. I had to put in about $15 before I was happy with how my village was progressing. But it's very possible not to put any money in at all; just gotta be patient. :p

Also for anyone playing Joe Danger, is this true?

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/290470765550256128/photo/1

PFD

I'm buying it off contract (as I said I'm using it for prepaid) so it costs $550 + tax. I can buy the latest android/WP8 devices for that price. Considering the iPhone 4S is an older model and only has 16gb internal storage and no way to expand it it's a turn off. Compared to what else I can buy it is expensive and outdated. The only reason I'm considering it is for the iOS exclusive games/apps.

And Wario got permabanned? How? :eek:

If you don't mind dealing with the hassle of Craigslist, you can find a 4s in good shape for around $350.

Thanks for posting this! Looks really great. I love stuff like this.

It's a slow burn at first but it's quite addicting. I had to put in about $15 before I was happy with how my village was progressing. But it's very possible not to put any money in at all; just gotta be patient. :p

Also for anyone playing Joe Danger, is this true?

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/290470765550256128/photo/1

It happens thoughout the game. There are levels you can't play until you unlock certain costumes. The costumes ate unlocked with coins that you earn from playing races. You can also buy IAP coins, of course, but it's not necessary.

Shearie

You don't pay real money to get any of the costumes unless you want to throw the devs some for in-game currency. The game never told me once throughout the entire time I've played that I can even buy IAP's; the only indicator is a little "+" next to the amount of gold coins you have. It's not a grind to unlock most costumes and there are plenty of levels to play without a costume requirement.

I don't see a problem here.

I'm one of the sad sacks who have been playing Simpsons: Tapped out since it launched last year and even spent money buying donuts (the in game currency).

I was at level 24 - the highest level possible before the recent update. Seriously, I was addicted to this shit. My iPad had basically become my tapped out device. I played it obsessively.

Then last week I logged on and the game played the opening cut scene. I quickly quit out of the game, reset the app and loaded it again. Nope - my game had been reset!

I emailed EA support and this was their response..

Wtf? So that's it? I've just thrown away $20 and hours and hours of gameplay? Bah! I replied and asked if they could rollback my account to maybe a week earlier. I don't mind losing a week or so. The reply came back fairly fast..

I then asked for a refund and the reply came back within minutes..

sucks. my town was deleted right after i finished tutorial. Never bothered with the game again.

What do you guys do when you beat games like Infinity Blade (I or II)? Keep them and continue to grind away and get stuff or delete them off your device?

You don't pay real money to get any of the costumes unless you want to throw the devs some for in-game currency. The game never told me once throughout the entire time I've played that I can even buy IAP's; the only indicator is a little "+" next to the amount of gold coins you have. It's not a grind to unlock most costumes and there are plenty of levels to play without a costume requirement.

I don't see a problem here.

You're right when it comes to all the other characters but you will have to grind for gold joe which sucks because I loved the game and don't want to run it into the ground. Maybe if some new levels came out that'd help.

Shearie

What do you guys do when you beat games like Infinity Blade (I or II)? Keep them and continue to grind away and get stuff or delete them off your device?

Do you have any desire to play the game now or think that you will go back to it in the future? I'm big on deleting apps that I know I'll most likely never use again because they end up being a waste of hard drive space and can clutter up my home screen. Last big game I did this to was Bastion. Thought the game was great but had no motivation to play a new game+ so I deleted it, save data be damned.

It would be nice though if more games used iCloud to store data.

Shearie

You're right when it comes to all the other characters but you will have to grind for gold joe which sucks because I loved the game and don't want to run it into the ground. Maybe if some new levels came out that'd help.

I agree about Gold Joe, he's the one that's pricey.

The thing is though, replaying levels over and over to get all the goals is never a grind to me since its always fun. I'm getting close to getting all the Pro Medals and when I'm done I'm going to go right back and try to get High Score trophies. Hopefully I won't be burned out on the game by that time.

It's true... I've almost 100% finished the game but I just can't get do anything until I save up enough coin.
I need two more pro coins and they're both locked behind golden joes
http://imgur.com/PH6U6

I can't seem to get my counter to go up to 50 on the Hello Games icon counter. I've went through all the levels and counted, and I've collected 50 (including the one on the last level).

As far the Golden Joe issue, it's really not a big deal, and it's not accurate to characterize the game as one locked behind IAP. Aside from the above issue, I managed to 100% the game in a few evenings, including unlocking all but a few cheaper characters. It's the best iOS game I've played in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom