• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What do you guys do when you beat games like Infinity Blade (I or II)? Keep them and continue to grind away and get stuff or delete them off your device?
I go after some/all achievements if the game is fun enough, then delete it. I always backup my save data with iExplorer though, even when I'm 100% done and don't plan to go back to the game anymore (in case an update adds something interesting that requires you to have beaten the game, or just because). I loved the grind in Infinity Blade 1, so I kept going until I got all achievements except the multiplayer related ones. Still have to dive deep into the sequel, but I'm still a bit burned from playing the first one so much.

Zeth

It happens thoughout the game. There are levels you can't play until you unlock certain costumes. The costumes ate unlocked with coins that you earn from playing races. You can also buy IAP coins, of course, but it's not necessary.

This last one appears to be impossible to unlock using the available currency without IAP. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it looks like judging by that screenshot.

I go after some/all achievements if the game is fun enough, then delete it. I always backup my save data with iExplorer though, even when I'm 100% done and don't plan to go back to the game anymore (in case an update adds something interesting that requires you to have beaten the game, or just because). I loved the grind in Infinity Blade 1, so I kept going until I got all achievements except the multiplayer related ones. Still have to dive deep into the sequel, but I'm still a bit burned from playing the first one so much.
Finished up the first one a while ago and just got through the Valut of Tears expansion on the second (Skycages stuff is next although from what I've seen so far, I might not have the juice to finish it anytime soon. I'll probably just keep them on the device since I have the room and will likely give them a spin here and there.

Bastion is deleted though. Finished it and while it was good, I just don't think I'll continue on.

Heel

Knights of Pen & Paper is great.

No problems with IAP at all. There's nothing priced in the game that seems unreachable with regular play. The money given for battles and the cost of items seems on par with any other oldschool RPG.

A few instances of the speech bubbles not being big enough for the text, but other than that I haven't run into any bugs.

Knights of Pen & Paper is great.

No problems with IAP at all. There's nothing priced in the game that seems unreachable with regular play. The money given for battles and the cost of items seems on par with any other oldschool RPG.

A few instances of the speech bubbles not being big enough for the text, but other than that I haven't run into any bugs.

I was way into it until it gave me a quest to fight some gate trap monsters that weren't there. Now I can't continue.

Heel

I was way into it until it gave me a quest to fight some gate trap monsters that weren't there. Now I can't continue.

Ahhh that sucks, hope I don't run into that. Is it a required quest? There's an option to abandon quests.

What's everyone using for a party? I've got a rogue, cleric, mage and hunter. Not really sure I like the rogue and hunter, though the hunter is about half the level of the other three right now.

Epcott

Maybe I should get back into Knights of Pen and Paper. I wish it was mulitiplayer as well.

Insinuated something wasn't thread worthy, at least four more were banned because of that there.

That sucks. Can't believe he was banned for that, hope it's not perm. Makes me wish someone made a Lttp DmC thread.

Having fun with Zenonia 5, it's just like their other versions but completely playable without IAP, and the new controls are so nice.

JasonC11

Neo Member
I can't seem to get my counter to go up to 50 on the Hello Games icon counter. I've went through all the levels and counted, and I've collected 50 (including the one on the last level).

Same problem here.

This last one appears to be impossible to unlock using the available currency without IAP. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what it looks like judging by that screenshot.

Nah, it's possible to use in game currency, it costs 150,000 coins. At least one of the other ones costs 50,000. Most costumes also give you a coin boost which helps.

lucius

IGN is listing The Great Fusion as free this weekend which looks decent, did I miss it already?

It showing up as $1.99 for me.

I do have to say about Joe Danger (and I realize this problem isn't exclusive to the game), but it's ridiculously easy to cheese it on the high scores. In levels with a bumper, you can keep bouncing back and doing wheelies, keeping your multiplier and continuing to gain points. You can continue to do this as long as you'd like. Makes the leaderboards a little less fun than they ought to be, aside from the very last level, which is a straightforward obstacle course with none of those bumper mechanisms.

Manax

What I've been playing recently:

1357887487.5485.iPicit.jpg

oh man this farkle game has got me seriously craving some liars/cheaters dice games for iOS
(i got seriously hooked playing it in red dead redemption)

anyone got any good suggestions for one of these games?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You don't pay real money to get any of the costumes unless you want to throw the devs some for in-game currency. The game never told me once throughout the entire time I've played that I can even buy IAP's; the only indicator is a little "+" next to the amount of gold coins you have. It's not a grind to unlock most costumes and there are plenty of levels to play without a costume requirement.

I don't see a problem here.

The problem is WAAARRRRBLLAAAAAAGHHHH IAPS ARE DEVIL BLURBLEBLURBLE

yawn.

So I finally got round to playing Game Dev Story yesterday. Damn addictive. However its translations are a little odd. The game types and stuff. I did shooter and historical and apparently thats not a good combo lol. Are you only meant to do what's popular in Japan or something? Also Pirate and Adventure wasn't a good mix either.... huh? Seems all the RPGs and Fantasy work well typically.

Currently in an office for 8 staff and won the first 2 awards you can win.

Good game. Just a little confusing in parts.

Also those power cuts are damn irritating. Got a game with a huge creativity number and power cut made it plummet...... rather annoyed me. similar thing happened 3 games in a row.

kennah

If you want to 'cheat' you can exit the game, close it in the task bar and reopen. You might get a different random event.

is Game Center working for the European Gaffers? Mine has been unable to get achievements, load any leaderboards or even my own info for the past week or so :(

is Game Center working for the European Gaffers? Mine has been unable to get achievements, load any leaderboards or even my own info for the past week or so :(

It's working just fine for me (Italy), earned an achievement a couple of minutes ago.

Btw, first post on this thread, last week I added some of you guys, I guess I'll keep going on in the next few days :)

If you want to 'cheat' you can exit the game, close it in the task bar and reopen. You might get a different random event.

Heh... interesting. But I cant be bothered to cheat like that. Its a fun little game that il play for a while. Just annoying how the events reduce what you already put into the project. What it should really do is halt work on it for a period of time. ho hum.

It's working just fine for me (Italy), earned an achievement a couple of minutes ago.

Btw, first post on this thread, last week I added some of you guys, I guess I'll keep going on in the next few days :)

thanks, i apparently just fixed it by doing a full reboot of the phone. And add me too if you want a Super Hexagon challenge ;D (Wario does not count, he is a cyborg)

Katori

Is it silly that I actually REALLY like NFS: Most Wanted? I know the others were kinda hot garbage but this is a Firemonkeys joint and it's got quite a nice loop and brilliant graphics (iPhone 5). I love winning races on Bronze or so then coming back and destroying them with better cars.

It's not long, I think, till we reach parity on stuff like this vs. the Vita version of the game (which has identical gameplay to the console version and, IIRC, cross-save support). For example this game pulled in my Origin friends who have played the console game to populate my Most Wanted list (by number of Speedpoints, which I think are cross-platform), so my dad (who's an NFS fanatic) is actually the #1 Most Wanted in this game. I didn't even play the console game and this is still awesome.

ToxicAdam

Nope, this is bile from my own spleen. I hate the TA forums, those people are sub-morons. Almost as bad as whiny IAP bitches :p

It's always depressing when you see a thread that has 30+ posts for a new game and you think it's going to be filled with people raving about the game, but it's 25+ posts of people complaining about IAP in a game they haven't played.

Thanks for the heads up. Solved a couple and I'm hooked. It's too bad you can only see a few past puzzles. With a new download at least.

I quite like it that way, you get a week to get you started and then one a day for an entire year - as a result it's probably the only iOS game I've played almost every single day for the last year! I think if you had all the puzzles available at once you'd soon wear yourself out but this way you're constantly wanting to come back.

If you do want loads to solve at once though it's easy enough, just leave it for a month or so before you go back, or set your iDevice's clock forward a year...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it silly that I actually REALLY like NFS: Most Wanted? I know the others were kinda hot garbage but this is a Firemonkeys joint and it's got quite a nice loop and brilliant graphics (iPhone 5). I love winning races on Bronze or so then coming back and destroying them with better cars.

It's not long, I think, till we reach parity on stuff like this vs. the Vita version of the game (which has identical gameplay to the console version and, IIRC, cross-save support). For example this game pulled in my Origin friends who have played the console game to populate my Most Wanted list (by number of Speedpoints, which I think are cross-platform), so my dad (who's an NFS fanatic) is actually the #1 Most Wanted in this game. I didn't even play the console game and this is still awesome.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit too, much for the same reasons; love the cross-console integration they have going via Origin as well.

It's always depressing when you see a thread that has 30+ posts for a new game and you think it's going to be filled with people raving about the game, but it's 25+ posts of people complaining about IAP in a game they haven't played.

And then one guy will be all like "No, the IAP is just optional so you can get costumes or whatever" but no one pays attention.

"YOU HAVE IAP IN THIS GAME-YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED-I'LL NEVER BUY YOUR APP! HOW DARE YOU!!! ALSO THIS GAME SHOULD BE FREE!!"

Or my favorite-the game is 1.99 or 2.99

"I'll wait til it's .99"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The IAP in Kingdom Rush is super solid. To be expected from that awesome dev. You don't need any of it at all to 100% the game. But I bought the king character anyway to support. It does get tricky though, philosophically. I would actually prefer they charged more for the game personally, but I know IAP monetization is the name of the game. When it's done in a fair manner, I can't complain at all.

The IAP in Kingdom Rush is super solid. To be expected from that awesome dev. You don't need any of it at all to 100% the game. But I bought the king character anyway to support. It does get tricky though, philosophically. I would actually prefer they charged more for the game personally, but I know IAP monetization is the name of the game. When it's done in a fair manner, I can't complain at all.

Me too-I bought the King guy simply because I loved the developers!

And I don't want to admit how much money I spent on Puzzles and Dragons this weekend....

:(

SteveWD40

The other vermin on TA are the really obvious shills with shitty english skills.

"is good gaem u bui I luv best gaem since the warcrafts of worlds!"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Considering all the praise and how much I love the console games, I need Joe Danger Touch in my life soon.

On a different note, my iPhone is my main source of entertainment in my current living situation (just moved) so it would be a perfect time to take on the backlog but like always I cannot stop playing Bejeweled. I guess me and this game were meant to be together forever.

If any of you guys play the paid game or Blitz regularly add me @ 5nugg , I need more competition.

Goli

What is it? JRPG, anything like Chaos Rings?

So I finally downloaded it and yes it is kind of like Chaos Rings.
Basically you go about dungeons beating monsters in your dragon, that's all.
There are now towns but there is a world map which serves as a sort of dungeon hub you fly in.
It sounds really bad but it's actually pretty decent.
Also the battle system doesn't allow direct control over your character which is odd at first but you get used to it.

I think I might purchase the rest of the chapters soonish, to me it's definitely worth the money.

Beeline Interactive, the people who put out Smurf's Village and Snoopy's Street Fair, are coming out with a Ghostbusters freemium game soon. Actually, it's out in Canada now and should be available everywhere else on the 24th.

http://arcadesushi.com/new-ios-ghostbusters-available-now-in-canada/

There's a gameplay trailer at the link.

I would recommend against this. Beeline's games are REALLY freemium, like almost every single piece of content is paywalled. I played Snoopy for a while and the only stuff you could get for free was shit, all the popular characters etc are locked up.

Obviously there's a chance this one could be different, but it seems unlikely, they've found their balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom